Administrator

Goat beat me to it

welcome back Liza and 4surf

D
Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
I wish my parents had had to take my car for a drive when I was college... maybe they would have helped me out with something that was safe to drive after that, lol.
Oh, we're well aware. Every time she comes home from school something else is wrong with her car, and she never knows why.

"where'd you get that dent?" "I dunno!"
"where'd you get that other dent?" "I dunno!"
"where did your back bumper go?" "I dunno!"
"where did your *entire exhaust system* go?" "I dunno!"

You would think she'd notice her exhaust system falling off the car.

At this point I'm afraid to get her another car. But I will, she's due for one.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Goat beat me to it
That doesn't happen very often

I've been on here nearly constantly for the past several days and I keep wondering exactly when you sleep...
Old 04-21-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  
Administrator

at bedtime lol

D
Old 04-21-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goat View Post
Oh, we're well aware. Every time she comes home from school something else is wrong with her car, and she never knows why.

"where'd you get that dent?" "I dunno!"
"where'd you get that other dent?" "I dunno!"
"where did your back bumper go?" "I dunno!"
"where did your *entire exhaust system* go?" "I dunno!"

You would think she'd notice her exhaust system falling off the car.

At this point I'm afraid to get her another car. But I will, she's due for one.
Lol, Goat, sorry to say that sounds like me when I was 17, except I drove the car up a neighbors curb and proceeded to take out their mailbox and small tree AND kept on driving acting oblivious to the whole thing. AND I was completely sober. Another neighbor saw me do it and ratted me out. Needless to say, I was grounded for a long time.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

If I may offer some advice ..... Do not make homemade cookies while you are trying to keep busy and fighting off AV. I just ate half a dozen chocolate chip cookies (and they aren't small) ....6!!!! And I didn't even get to the gym today

Oh well, at least I didn't drink today, right?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Haha, good advice!

I love baking, though... come see us in the what's for dinner thread in November and December. I make tons of gift baskets full of cookies and candies for everyone I know
Old 04-21-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Cheers all. Cheers TO you all, all of you lovely, sober, successful Fighting Bandicoots.

I am here. Today concludes week 3 of no drinkin' for this fellow.

I'm pretty satisfied overall. Except, one thing in LadyBug's post struck a chord. I have been one grouchy bas^@#d.

No real reason, I am just irritable, and kind of snappy. Trying to keep it in check, but it's such a wild ass change, so quickly...I can hardly keep up.

Went and paddled today. Showed buddy "our" beach. Was hot, sunny, and surprisingly not too busy. Spent some good time in the water...got a nice patio dog door installed for the BEAST (my actual beast...not that thing that bugs me from time to time).

Essentially playing tourist this week with buddy. So far so good. He's real supportive--but not completely understanding. (This guy never has seen a "real rippa" --respects to Boston).

Wife is leery about work this week, which I completely understand. Me unleashed with a pal in the past would most CERTAINLY involve a night or two "out". And, uncharted waters could certainly be something that could happen.

One thing I am vastly thankful for: I never did anything really crazy, illegal, or horrendously shameful while a complete drunk. Don't get me wrong: I'm not claiming to have behaved myself in total all the time...but never did anything ridiculous like strippers, call girls or anything of the like. I'm certain it was just a matter of time.

I'll just call that my Irish luck--and dodging bullets at the same time.

I feel really good. I feel like I have decent energy on Up days, but I feel like a complete slug that wants nothing but sleep on Down days. Trying to exercise a bit more frequently...however it's a little hard with the Blue Dog having a bum shoulder. He's supposed to be resting...which is nigh impossible with a two-year old dog who is referred to as BEAST-O in our home.

"How's BEAST-O?"

"Hanging off the ceiling fan".

"I see, having a pretty calm day, huh?"

"Yep. The car is still here".

"Ok! See you after work!"

I wish you all well in your journeys. Stay tough. Stay committed. Support each other, but most of all be kind to yourself. You're the only one you've got--and you've earned it!
Be well,
Scoutie.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Monday morning in Germany.......heading off to work.......first weekend sober since January when I broke my new years resolution 1 week into the year.....today is day 8 for me and I feel wonderful.....why can't I just remember how good I feel right now when the intense cravings come?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
Hi all. Well, I made it to 2 weeks, today is Day 15. It feels good, but I have been rather cranky all weekend. Don't know where this irritability and short fuse is coming from as my mood swings seem to have been getting better. AV isn't really bugging me so maybe I'm just tired? Can't figure it out, but I sure hope it passes soon.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend. Will post more later when I don't feel like throwing my iPad across the room
Hey chin up your at the same stage as me, been really p..ed off most of the weekend it comes and goes and like your self can't put my finger on it, maybe tyred or weekend blues without a drink, am sure we get used to it income day 16 now so we haven't came this far for nothing, better days are ahead of us.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Day 1 again!

Hi everyone

I have a bit of catching up to do. But in the meantime, I thought I would just nail my colours to the mast and make this (another) day 1.

bounced
Old 04-21-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back bounced

D
Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Morning April Class

I see a lot of you doing so well and made it through another weekend.

Welcome to anybody just starting out with us.

Pheww, I made it through the weekend

I upset my mother in-law because she would just not take No for an answer......

I had to drop some bits off to her for my hubby's surprise party at her house,

Her -'will you be drinking tonight'
Me - 'No because the children are with me I'll bring the car'
Her - 'But I got you Bacardi in there'
Me -Thanks, but no I don't want to drink
Her - 'Yes but Farther in-law will, pick you up and get a taxi home'
Me - 'NO I'M NOT DRINKING I WILL HAVE THE CHILDREN WITH ME SO I'M BRINGING THE CAR'
#veryawkwardsilence

I was very angry and upset but I returned for the party, I put my face on and held tight to my car keys and she was in such a foul drunk mood with me, being really sarky asking me all night if I want tea or coffee but I don't care if I make any body feel uncomfortable because I'm not drinking, well they can deal with it.

Hoping this week is a little easier than last

wish you all well

xxx
Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Hi - all looking good for the class of April so far :-)
Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Count me in! Finally taking the plunge. Today will be day 1 for me. Took my ativan and vitamin b and strapping in for the journey!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Day 21 for me, managed to get a very large tender response out the door on time today, this sort of thing I would have avoided while drinking as the fear of doing a cr@p job on it would have meant I out it off and put it off until it was too late to do anything about it and would have made up a lame excuse for why not. The anxiety this caused would have led to a very large binge to drown out the "why are you letting yourself down" sober voice and the depression of missing the deadline and feeling like a total looser would have fuelled the a binge some more. Getting the bid out meant a huge amount of work and also putting that work up for public scrutiny and therefore criticism which I would have drank to avoid - a vicious cycle I've been living in for far too long as if you never step up you never learn and never develop and grow.

So here begins a new hardworking sober me, with the easy, fast reward of a £10 litre bottle of vodka never more than half an hour away in the nearest shop.

Time to get busy living!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

So here it is day 3 for me. I was feeling pretty good. But Yall are right there is a irritability about now that comes so fast,directly after comes a craving. Getting kids ready for school and i am snappy
I dont want to be angry sober i was mean enough as a drunk.
So I guess i should start reading some thing to learn how to cope better. I am also hearing that most people are mad at sober people ... why is that ... is that what i have to look forward to?
Desperately wanting to reach out to someone in my area BUT my pride and the fact that i am well known keeps me Hermit to my home. Im a very private person when it comes to my feelings and my past life.
My kids and family believe being who i am now is the most amazing thing and yet I HATE me. My family dont know ive quit drinking only My son and daughter do.
So living in my sober secret is also what i feel may break me in time. But for today this hour and hopeful for the next 24hrs i am ok Blah blah blah I will stop my whining lol
So what do people think of NA beer is it ok or not ok ? Having NOT 1 sober friend means I have no clue of how this works nowadays lol
Thanks for reading my foolish banter enjoy your day
Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

I am starting day 20. I, too, have been very cranky.
Hopefully it will pass soon. I am starting to feel sorry
for my poor husband.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xMystiquex View Post
So what do people think of NA beer is it ok or not ok ? Having NOT 1 sober friend means I have no clue of how this works nowadays lol
Thanks for reading my foolish banter enjoy your day
I tried na beer once, then started putting vodka in it and leaving the empty na bottles in full view, drinking and not drinking a the same time, genius!

Tonic water with ice and a slice works as people a the table assume there's something in it anyway, just make sure you keep an eye on it at the table. On Day 48 last time I took a big gulp of my brothers Bloody Mary by mistake instead of my tomato juice. That was the first nail in the coffin of that attempt as I could no longer claim complete abstinence for 48 days so as that had been knocked over I got back into it for a month...

Has to be zero for good for me.

There are loads of standbys though like telling people you're on antibiotics or driving, or on call or the babysitter said she was feeling poorly when you left the kids and you may have to duck early to take over. Put the deviousness you've developed to keep drinking into finding elaborate and plausible reasons to others why you're not

Eventually though you're going to have to either make new friends or tell the old ones to build a properly sustainable sober life.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Well, starting day 14 for me. Tonight will be 2 whole weeks!!

I too have felt the moodiness others have posted on here... things that seem to help:

-EATING- I read this a lot on here, but really paying attention to what I'm eating and not letting myself get too hungry helps a lot. A lot of times, my moodiness seems to be caused by low blood-sugar which I interpret as a craving. But a bit of a snack seems to help a lot with those feelings.

-WATER- This is another one I see a lot, but it really does help.

-EXERCISE- If I'm just having 'thought' problems this helps a lot. But, if I haven't had enough food and water (see above), then it just makes me feel worse.

-CHECKING MY THOUGHTS- Sometimes, I just really look at what I'm thinking and ask myself if it's actually true, if it's what I really need to spend my time thinking about, if there isn't a different take on it which might make me feel better.

Anyway, it's taking some practice, but I am getting better at identifying/changing these bad feelings. The majority of the time a glass of water and a healthy snack does the trick.

It helps me if I take time to think about and DO the things that I can do to make myself feel better through this rather than thinking about how I feel bad.

Anyway, I've spent too long on here for a Monday morning, so off to work and I'll be back tonight... with 2 weeks alcohol free!!!

Hope everybody has a good day.