Notices

Class of April 2013 Part 2

Old 04-20-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Well, day 12 is almost done for me.

I think this is the longest I've been without drinking in 8 or 9 years(I can't really remember the early days of my drinking career too clearly... I'm not sure exactly when I was last off the booze or how long I was drinking for). I'm super proud of myself. So many things are clearing up for me.

And while I'm thinking about it... Thanks SR! I don't know quite where I would be if it weren't for this place.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me

Im not sure how this class thing works BUT ill give it a go. Scared ******** and praying ill make it another day. I havnt gotten the balls to tell anyone yet what im doing. Maybe ill have a talk with my son this week. I guess i just wanted to type my few words to feel more accountable. maybe it will help
Old 04-20-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Hi Mystique!

The class is a smaller group of people who found sobriety this month, the idea being that we're all at a similar point in our sobriety and we can cheer each other on. Welcome to the group!

DG -- congrats on day 12! That's really outstanding! Ever heard of the drummer Derek Roddy? That guy is the perfect example of economy technique. I can PM you a youtube link to a good example if you want.

I'm at 96 hours since my last drink
Old 04-21-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Just starting Day 7.....good so far......my new years resolution was broken on day 7 (7 Jan this year). It was the longest I'd been sober for a long time.......trying again......one more day to break my record for the year......:-)
Old 04-21-2013, 01:24 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Hi all.
Definitely will check in more at length tomorrow. For now, going to hit the hay.
Somehow, I'll be at 3 weeks tomorrow. Seems kinda crazy.
Went to the pub for dinner...couldn't set us right away, so "my" server suggested we have a drink at the bar.
A fine suggestion. My buddy had his, and I had a Coke.
So weird.
Someone mentioned being in those places are off-putting now. Wow. I can't believe a few weeks ago I was one off those guys. Gross.
Was a bit of a test, to be sure. I can't lie and say that I didn't think, Gee...one wouldn't hurt. But, we all know how those "ones" go.
I didn't. And, I lived to tell the tale, and golly...I remember dinner too. I bet I get a full nights sleep, and my Sunday morning not feeling like a louse.
Good to be on THIS side of normal for once.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you found us XmystiqueX

it is a test scout, and it kept on being a test too...I fell more than once in a pub thinking 'I was fine here last time'

I urge caution and vigilance

D
Old 04-21-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Day 16 (take 2) beginning. Went to a great AA meeting last night that's still on my mind and managed to get some sleep last night, so feeling a bit better this morning. Going to make this day off from work a productive one with some house cleaning, some piano and guitar time, a workout, and probably another meeting this evening.

Hang in there today, y'all.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

XmystiqueX Welcome! I am just on day 14 and already I see the benefits. It is not easy, but worth it. I am new to the forum and everyone here has been super.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, day 18 and I made it through work last night with out caving in and without any problems. Thankyou duffster, mallard666 and everyone for the words of encouragement. It wasnt as bad as i Expected. I made the big step of actually calling the local NA helpline yesterday afternoon before work. I had written it down ages ago but avoided calling it thinking I would handle this between me my Dr and therapist. Well to cut a long story short a woman called me back (i left a message on an answerphone) who chairs one of the local meetings. She also has a 3 year old and we chatted and iv agreed to go to a meeting next week with her. I think this helped me get through the shift (and all the support here of course).
So been to bed and slept all morning after my night shift its now 2pm and im going to head out in the sunshine for a run. Im on a 12 hr day shift tomorrow so will just chill out the rest of today. Its going to be a shock to my body going back to working all these long hours without pills to push me through. I feel fresher and happier though. So heres to day 18 woohoo!!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hi guys, end of day 2 detox, slept a lot today, bit headachy. 48 hrs down without a drink , drinking lots of fluid and appetite Pretty good no major withdrawals just woozy from Valium x
Old 04-21-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Dropping by to lend a bit of support. Guys and ladies:

I really admire what you're doing here, thank you for your inspiration.

Keep going, everyone. 10 whole days ahead of us before May shows up, there shall be no dropouts in this class, that's an order!! JK ;-) M.xo

PS. Never forget to enjoy recovery !!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Well, I'm starting day 13!!

Hope everybody has a good day.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Worried once I've finished medical detox how I am going to feel. Gp has offered me anti craving drugs for when I finish, back there tomorrow, not sure what to do. I don't wan t to be around alc for foreseeable future but trying not to think of future social situations etc.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fruitymarzipan View Post
Hi everyone, day 18 and I made it through work last night with out caving in and without any problems. Thankyou duffster, mallard666 and everyone for the words of encouragement. It wasnt as bad as i Expected. I made the big step of actually calling the local NA helpline yesterday afternoon before work. I had written it down ages ago but avoided calling it thinking I would handle this between me my Dr and therapist. Well to cut a long story short a woman called me back (i left a message on an answerphone) who chairs one of the local meetings. She also has a 3 year old and we chatted and iv agreed to go to a meeting next week with her. I think this helped me get through the shift (and all the support here of course).
So been to bed and slept all morning after my night shift its now 2pm and im going to head out in the sunshine for a run. Im on a 12 hr day shift tomorrow so will just chill out the rest of today. Its going to be a shock to my body going back to working all these long hours without pills to push me through. I feel fresher and happier though. So heres to day 18 woohoo!!
So glad to here keep it up
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Silverotter View Post
Worried once I've finished medical detox how I am going to feel. Gp has offered me anti craving drugs for when I finish, back there tomorrow, not sure what to do. I don't wan t to be around alc for foreseeable future but trying not to think of future social situations etc.
Think on meds have helped but you have done this, remember that when you finish be alert and aware but remember your in control
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Ugh made it all night BUT im a sweaty mess and im shaking. I have quit drinking b 4 and never had this problem UGH How did i get this far !!! Im freaking out inside.
My kids come home today from vacation Thank God !! Having them around keeps me doing good But the moment they went on vacation i was drunk all week This time I want to be strong and I know I have to find some support. Yet I am a very private person and i am new to this town all my family and friends are far away.
Maybe I will print a meeting list and see what i can find.
Wish there was a beginner class lol If my kids were grown I would prob head to a rehab, there not so i cant.
UGH i guess im just rambling so ill end it here Thanks for being here yall give me hope
Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xMystiquex View Post
Ugh made it all night BUT im a sweaty mess and im shaking. I have quit drinking b 4 and never had this problem UGH How did i get this far !!! Im freaking out inside.
My kids come home today from vacation Thank God !! Having them around keeps me doing good But the moment they went on vacation i was drunk all week This time I want to be strong and I know I have to find some support. Yet I am a very private person and i am new to this town all my family and friends are far away.
Maybe I will print a meeting list and see what i can find.
Wish there was a beginner class lol If my kids were grown I would prob head to a rehab, there not so i cant.
UGH i guess im just rambling so ill end it here Thanks for being here yall give me hope
Seems all to easy when people arnt around that's when we need to be so much stronger, am struggling again today and my gf won't be here tonight so no how you feel, try drinking something else, eat or both seems to take the edge off for me, be strong
Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Good Afternoon everyone!

Yeah, I've been careful not to be alone the past few days. I have come clean to everyone close to me and I know they would be disappointed if I fell off the wagon again.

Gotta take my daughter back to college today. She brought her car home yesterday so we can have an extra one since mine's been impounded. She has another week of exams and then we'll go back down to pick her up for the summer.

I have been so proud of her and of my teenagers. My behavior has caused them major inconvenience, and yet I have not heard a single complaint. For once, they have every right to complain!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goat View Post
Good Afternoon everyone!

Yeah, I've been careful not to be alone the past few days. I have come clean to everyone close to me and I know they would be disappointed if I fell off the wagon again.

Gotta take my daughter back to college today. She brought her car home yesterday so we can have an extra one since mine's been impounded. She has another week of exams and then we'll go back down to pick her up for the summer.

I have been so proud of her and of my teenagers. My behavior has caused them major inconvenience, and yet I have not heard a single complaint. For once, they have every right to complain!
Make them proud of you
Old 04-21-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Thank you Mallard, I want to be someone they can be proud of!

For the past few months there has been a pair of beautiful, expensive, fine crystal shot glasses sitting next to my kitchen sink. I bought them while I was drinking, obviously. They are a little smaller than a standard shot glass and at the time I reasoned they might help me moderate -- but the real reason was because I know myself, and having nice shot glasses is an excuse to drink.

Some time after I bought them I got sober, and the shot glasses sat in my china hutch, waiting for me.

And just as my inner alcoholic planned, those shot glasses helped me talk myself into drinking again. Just to be clear -- this is not happening now, this was a few years ago. I'm sober today still

Those glasses have been sitting there by the sink because I know what I should do with them. I should smash them into 1000 pieces and throw them in the trash. But, you know. That's hard to do.

Today I mustered up the guts to get rid of them. They will bother me no more. RIP shot glasses.

Small victory, but victory nonetheless.