Notices

Class of April 2013 Part 2

Old 04-19-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Hey y'all.

I just wanna say I am really glad I joined this class! You folks are the best and I feel like we're on a sobriety team!

So, here's the next thing I'm gonna have to deal with.

My Alcoholic Voice (yes, I go to AA, but I also like AVRT (and the fact that I do both will definitely rub some people the wrong way, but this is my sobriety darnit!)) has been reminding me today that I have had problems lately with a total lack of energy, and I have a lot of things I want to get done this summer -- and alcohol gives me so much energy to get stuff done!

Obviously I told the AV I'd rather sit on my butt sober than plant a bunch of bushes while wasted. But... this is a problem I need to solve.

I need to make a plan for getting my energy back. Up until a few years ago I had limitless energy. I could go non-stop pretty much forever. Well a couple of years ago we had a bad winter and I spent it locked in the house. I'm such an outdoors person that it didn't even occur to me to exercise inside. Well after that winter summer came and my energy was just gone! And I still haven't gotten it back.

Coaching baseball will help, but I don't think it's enough exercise to get me back to where I need to be. I think I need an exercise program that I can stick to as well.

I have a nice, nearly unused bicycle. I bought my wife a treadmill. I have weights. And, I have LOTS of work to do outside. I just need to get disciplined about DOING it.

I'm too young to be feeling old
Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by newlife79 View Post
In bed . Made it threw day 4 is it ever going to get easier and will I be able to occasionally have a drink. Like when I go on vacation in Aug.
Hi Newlife! Congrats on making it through day 4!

My recommendation would be to put thoughts of being able to drink eventually right out of your head! You already said you don't like what it's doing to you. It won't be any better to you one week, one month or a year down the road.

Soon you will start feeling better. You will be so much happier, and you'll thank yourself for not giving in.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hi Goat, boy can I relate to the booze and energy relationship you were talking about. Whenever I needed to get something done around the house, whether it was cleaning, organizing, making dinner, you name it, drinking would give me the burst of energy or motivation to get it done. The next day, hungover, I would be completely useless, but at least I was getting stuff done a couple days of the week, right? So unhealthy. I guess we just need time to retrain our brain. I am sure that, eventually, we will be much more productive sober than we ever thought we were while drinking.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

So maybe this is a little off topic, but we're all friends, right? Maybe it would be fun to get to know each other better. If you're comfortable sharing this.... can you tell us the story of your username, what it means to you? I started thinking about this when I saw Mallard666's username, and Ladybug2 reminded me

I guess since it's my idea (actually it's not, I saw a thread like this a few years ago) I'll start.

"Goat" is a long time nickname of mine. When I was teaching geology students one of them saw me bounding over rocks and rough terrain like it was nothing and compared me to a mountain goat. The "Goat" part stuck, I guess, 'cause I'm kinda rough looking and I have a big goatee. Then when I started riding a lot it was a natural choice for my biker name. Lots of people, here and in the outside world, call me Goat.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Can I join too? I work full-time, have 2 teenage boys, one of them with autism. I have been drinking 3-5 glasses of wine at night, when the boys go to bed. I'm tired of this habit! I haven't had any wine since Monday night so now I'm 96 hours sober. Doesn't sound like much, but it's been very hard for me. So tempting to go to the store and buy some Sangria. So hard to resist the temptation, but so far so good. I need a lot of help right now, will try to help others when I have a bit more sober time under my belt. Thank you.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

We're glad to have you! Congratulations on your 96 hours, too, it's a real accomplishment.

And... you're helping others just by being here and sharing.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stick by us anoninohio
welcome aboard

D
Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

72 hours since my last drink y'all and I'm feelin' purty purty good!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goat View Post
Muskrats, I'm glad you're here!

I worry that if you allow yourself the weekend of drinking then come Monday you may just decide to give yourself another weekend, or worse yet, another week.

Better to just bite the bullet and take the pill. It sounds like you're ready, to me.

Here's another reason... if you drink this weekend you'll feel like crap physically and mentally on Monday and if you take the ativan you'll probably be feeling a whole lot better on Monday.

The quote that pops into my head is "I've never woken up in the morning wishing I had gotten drunk the night before".
Wow goat how true is that thank you
Old 04-20-2013, 12:18 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Fear can be paralysing.

You know your life needs to change - putting it off won't make it any better muskrats, and it certainly won't make it any easier....

I had a lot of last hurrahs - some of those last weekends lasted years...and thats not an exaggeration.

I hope you decide not to have that last hurrah.

D
To true so many times going to stop so a have this last day is only to stall, and also lasted years for me.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:45 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Sorry new life please don't kids your self last year I cut down drinking so I had a few days off a week. Went on holiday came back to everyday drinking, told myself I would sort it never happend, Holliday was almost a year ago and has took till now to do something about it. Like me in July I want to drink its my holiday right but I no I can'tbut at least this time I will be up early in the morning clear headed more energy to play with my kids a and see more of my holiday in general,
Last holiday I was tyred in the morning and not fun to be around.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:49 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
NotSoIvory- I'm dealing with an alcoholic brother as well. I had to say goodbye to the drunk brother. I hate it when he is stoned/drunk. I let him know that my door is open when he is sober. He made me feel guilty, like I was a bad sister. It's some drama triangle that they keep trying to suck you into. The moment you stop playing their game, you become the bad guy.
I can definitely relate to this. So true. Fortunately, He seems a little more cooperative today. He didn't drink today, although still kinda mopey, which is making me feel a little bit bad, but I'm trying not to focus on it. I'm hoping something good can ultimately come out of it. Eventually. Maybe. :P

So I think the difference is that I have the "beast" or AV voice and he doesn't. I've named him Beavis from Beavis and Butthead because I have to have a some sense of humor to lighten things up. I picture him with his shirt over his head after taking all those pills from the old lady on the plane.
When I have a craving to drink, it comes from a dark place that isn't from me. It helps to dissociate myself from those thoughts. That's not me wanting a drink, that's the Beavis inside me. He's an idiot and he's made an idiot out of me on many occasions.
LOL! I love this.

I really appreciate everyone's honesty. There's no bulls* here. I feel like I am learning so much from your stories.
I will second that. When I first came here and saw how supportive, caring and helpful everyone was, it blew me away because I didn't think such a thing/place/community existed. I poured my heart into text with my story, and honestly, I guess I was expecting ridicule and judgement, like you see everywhere else on the internet and often in daily life. (major trust issues)
It was exactly the opposite, and it was such a relief and liberation, when I saw all the replies, I was bawling my eyes out.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone, Checking in on Day 17, feeling pretty bl**dy good physically but hyper anxious!! Well Iv taken the giant step / leap and made the decision to go back to work. Im on a night shift tonight then I have a 12 hr day shift Monday and Tuesday then the rest of the week off. (We tend to do 3 x 12hr shifts weekly as RN's in the UK) Im still going to do my little part time 8 hour clinics with obgyn on Fridays too so its a massive step deciding to go back to my full time job. For the main reason for those classmates who dont know me because I will be in charge tonight and will carry the drug keys. Im 17 days now clean from opiate addiction (painkillers) this is going to be the absolute challenge of a lifetime not to go in the drug cupboard & pop a few pills to get me through the night. I feel quite hysterical and wonder if im doing the right thing, iv been on sick leave for 5 months so am also worried about silly things like I hope we dont get any major trauma or cardiac arrests tonight so I can ease back in gently. Im anxious, I just pray to God im doing the right thing, but we need the money till our house sells, I cannot afford to be on sick leave forever. Oh well what will be will be. On the up side it is a beautiful day so we are going to take our little 3 year old munchkin for a run and kick about with a ball on the beach later.

Ladybug2, Im glad all your bloodwork was OK, wishing you all the best for this weekend, your doing fab. Interesting what you and Goat say about the alcohol giving you the energy, alcohol used to have the oppositec effect on me, it made me useless and lethargic, I didnt like being drunk at all. Now pills was another matter, imparticular Tramadol Im like a woman possessed, I could remodel the house LOL, You know the movie Theres Something About Mary where Magda goes crazy and is vacuuming (hoovering) lifting up the couch etc...thats me on pills ...except I look more like Cameron Diaz than old Magda LOL!!!!!!

Mustlovecoffee, how are you, doing fab too, we r all hanging in there! NETBALL is a game similar to Basketball but it is much more stringent/strict. Players have specific positions (eg. goal attack, goal defence, wing attack, center, etc) only specific positions can shoot at the net / and defend it, you cant go past certain lines on the court depending on your position etc. Its really a girls / womans sport too. Personally I find it boring!! She also does Rounders Club too which I believe is very similar to your Baseball.

Welcome to all new people, have a sober Saturday & pray for me in that bl**dy hospital tonight!
xx
Old 04-20-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Yesterday was tough wanted a drink and felt low.
Well woke up this morning like thousands of times before felt like s..t anxiety kicked in and felt really guilty why had I done it again,
Only to wake up I was dreaming so glad I was and glad I did, as that is how I would have felt and don't wana feel like that no more.feel great this morning slept well once I got to sleep lets do this people
Old 04-20-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newlife79 View Post
I'm going on my 4th day of not drinking. Ready to have a beer. I went from 8-10 beers a night to not having one since Monday. Its killing me. My goal is to live a healthier and lose weight. Both my parents our or were alcoholics. I started drinking at around 14 . I used to steal beer out of my dads beer miser. I always quit drinking when I got pregnant but this time its for my family. After the went to bed I would start drinking while husband was at work. When I started going threw almost a 12 pk a night and had to buy one or a case every day or so. Ive been extremely depressed about my weight and started drinking heavily 3 months after my last pregnancy because I never lost my pregnancy weight. If this doesn't help me drop at least 15lbs soon I'm sure I will jump off the wagon again
Hi Newlife, and congrats on day 4! I can relate to your frustration, as I am 30 lbs (was 35 a week ago) overweight primarily due to my drinking habits.

I find that sobriety has a lot more to offer than weight loss, although it's a cool perk. While quitting drinking and losing weight both take work and dedication, the results are worth it and going back to the drink will most likely only facilitate even more pounds in the long run.

For me, aside from drinking all of those extra calories, alcohol was causing bad behaviors, like not eating all day because I was too busy drinking, then binging all kinds of foods at night before I passed out. By the time I was that drunk and hungry, I didn't really care what or how much I was eating.

It was also making me really unproductive because all I wanted to do was sit outside and smoke and drink... And if I wasn't doing that, I would be thinking about the next time I would. It also amplified my depression SEVERELY which affected my interest in activities. I would look in the mirror and be so unhappy with what I saw, thinking "What happened to you?" then make a pact to start going for a walk or bike ride daily. I would never follow through with it because my depression was overriding and my addiction was more demanding. If I drank, I could forget about all those negative thoughts and emotions for a while... But that only made the problem fester with time. Now I am seeing that if I can just stay away from the alcohol, everything else is coming together. I have been thoroughly enjoying my walks. It clears the mind and makes me feel refreshed.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fruitymarzipan View Post
Hi Everyone, Checking in on Day 17, feeling pretty bl**dy good physically but hyper anxious!! Well Iv taken the giant step / leap and made the decision to go back to work. Im on a night shift tonight then I have a 12 hr day shift Monday and Tuesday then the rest of the week off. (We tend to do 3 x 12hr shifts weekly as RN's in the UK) Im still going to do my little part time 8 hour clinics with obgyn on Fridays too so its a massive step deciding to go back to my full time job. For the main reason for those classmates who dont know me because I will be in charge tonight and will carry the drug keys. Im 17 days now clean from opiate addiction (painkillers) this is going to be the absolute challenge of a lifetime not to go in the drug cupboard & pop a few pills to get me through the night. I feel quite hysterical and wonder if im doing the right thing, iv been on sick leave for 5 months so am also worried about silly things like I hope we dont get any major trauma or cardiac arrests tonight so I can ease back in gently. Im anxious, I just pray to God im doing the right thing, but we need the money till our house sells, I cannot afford to be on sick leave forever. Oh well what will be will be. On the up side it is a beautiful day so we are going to take our little 3 year old munchkin for a run and kick about with a ball on the beach later.

Ladybug2, Im glad all your bloodwork was OK, wishing you all the best for this weekend, your doing fab. Interesting what you and Goat say about the alcohol giving you the energy, alcohol used to have the oppositec effect on me, it made me useless and lethargic, I didnt like being drunk at all. Now pills was another matter, imparticular Tramadol Im like a woman possessed, I could remodel the house LOL, You know the movie Theres Something About Mary where Magda goes crazy and is vacuuming (hoovering) lifting up the couch etc...thats me on pills ...except I look more like Cameron Diaz than old Magda LOL!!!!!!

Mustlovecoffee, how are you, doing fab too, we r all hanging in there! NETBALL is a game similar to Basketball but it is much more stringent/strict. Players have specific positions (eg. goal attack, goal defence, wing attack, center, etc) only specific positions can shoot at the net / and defend it, you cant go past certain lines on the court depending on your position etc. Its really a girls / womans sport too. Personally I find it boring!! She also does Rounders Club too which I believe is very similar to your Baseball.

Welcome to all new people, have a sober Saturday & pray for me in that bl**dy hospital tonight!
xx
Think of your position work family that need you, think its good your going back to work I would find it harder being at home, so am so thankful for my job.
No it's hard to get back into rings but you will be ok you can do this and think you need this. Think on if you really needed the pills you couldn't go 17 days its now just the mind wanting.
You have beat this well done,
You are stronger than your addiction remember that and am sure going back to work with routine will help even more. Good luck at work speak soon
Old 04-20-2013, 01:59 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goat View Post
The quote that pops into my head is "I've never woken up in the morning wishing I had gotten drunk the night before".
This quote really helped me today, Goat. Thank you.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

I HATE IT, IT'S EVERY WHERE I FLIPPING LOOK!!!!!

Yesterday I collected my children from the school bus and on a friday they can go to the shop for a treat. Another dad who collected his children picked up a case of larger and a bottle of cider. A woman I noticed becuse she kept watching to see which till I was going to asked the lady behind the counter for an £11.88 bottle of vodka and she slipped it into her bag as fast as she could because she was also shopping with her children, behind me in the que was a man stinking of booze and tobacco yuk, (I used to smell like that)

Then the worst ARRRRRRRHHH I come home to find my hubby had taken 7 cans with him golfing and then planned to go to the pub after I was like WTF, told him what I thought which resulted in a slient night with us both on seperate sofa's.

Then there is today, his surprise b'day buffet prepared by his mum for his b'day which was last saturday, in other words an excuse for us all to get together and get smashed.
The mother in-law will be recked before we even arrive,
The farther in-law will drink his beers and be merry but pretend his wife is ok
The sister in-law will be dowing her double vodkas until her eye balls fall from their sockets, but telling us how the three brothers are alcoholics like their mother.
The one brother in-law drinking his cans and singing making out he's got no problems with any one but scared stiff the other brother in-law knows he slept with his girlfriend.
The other brother in-law know his brother slept with his girlfriend but drinks with him and pretends he knows nothing.
Then there is my hubby who knows he's needs to changes his ways but not prepared to accept he has a problem.
Me who knows I have a problem and will want to join them all in getting smashed while my two children keep themselves amused.

I'm hoping to survie and leave as soon as I can sober.

Sorry just need to get this out there I can feel my head wanting to explode and I want to run away.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hi guys mind if I join you? Day1 for me, doing medical detox at home with supervision. Feeling good so far onwards and forwards x
Old 04-20-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hi Silverotter and anoninohio! Welcome Congratulations on making the decision to be sober - you've found the right place.

Dorris, good luck at the in-laws today. I survived mine last night but luckily was not faced with any alcoholics - just dysfunction but we made it through without the police having to be called so I'd call that success.

Fruity, how did the work shift go? That's a lot of temptation.

Newlife, losing the baby fat takes time - it took me over a year to lose the 60 lbs (!!!!) I gained after my second. Please give yourself time to lose weight the healthy way. Will it get easier? They say it does. Will you be able to drink occasionally? Most of us can't - but I guess you'll need to figure that one out for yourself.

The beginning of Saturday here in Florida. For the first time all season I have nothing planned - nothing! I really cannot remember having a day like this in forever. Well, I do have a plan to go to the toy store and buy this monster lego my 4 year old is currently obsessing on.

Oh and Goat, my name has to do with the wee little westie in my avatar. That is actually a ralph lauren model but my own westie (who is even cuter) is really one of my greatest sources of comfort - her name is Duffy