Notices

Class of February 2013 - part 6

Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Still Sober - Day 5. Staying out of bed more and more which means less computer time so I have not been posting much.

My big news. I have now not missed three full weeks of work. That is amazing for me. I'm going to shoot for a full month. I usually miss at least one day a week! My habits are finally getting better and better. YaY me.

Love u all!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Many congrats to Pamel & Fantail on anniversary!

Pk Congrats on 3 weeks of work - what a clear improvement!

Em- hang in there. Days 7, 14, 30, 60, 90 all seems come with it's own fresh little challenge. You will work through this!

My happy success is that I looked in the mirror today and for the first time in a couple of years, I actually liked what I saw
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Pamel and Fantail, woooohooooo!!!!

PK, congrats on 5 days, and i'm sure your job is stoked about your 3 week accomplishment as well. bet it's good for the paycheck, too!

Serene, that is a fantastic accomplishment, liking that person in the mirror. what a feeling. so happy for you!

afm, all is decent. 42 days today. not much else to say. :-) have a good night, folks!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Soberemmie, without going back to read these threads from the beginning, I don’t know/remember the when and why you started drinking initially. I know I started drinking in my teens, mainly to fit in (peer pressure) along with other undesirable behaviors. I am concerned that you seem on the fence when you speak of work place happy hours and networking. Please don’t let the pressure of others sway your decision to test the waters. When you are feeling stronger in sobriety, you will be able to attend social networking functions and after work happy hours. The only difference is you won’t be drinking alcoholic beverages. I worked in a corporate environment that hosted many of these functions and I can tell you firsthand that many of the corporate sponsors who were high profile individuals did not drink alcohol. They were still in attendance, networking and socializing and were well respected! Once your colleagues have wrapped their heads around the fact that you are still a fun, engaging and competent professional who can social network with the best of them, the fact that you are holding a cola instead of a glass of wine won’t even be an issue.

Do yourself a favor; really pay attention to people in the office on Monday morning. Many little things such as red eyes, red face, fidgeting and a general mannerism that indicates a weekend of overindulgence becomes recognizable (I think we know the signs firsthand), with Monday morning being the most obvious. The opposite is true for those that don’t; bright eyes, smiling, positive and energetic. Which do you want to be?

You are doing so great, I just want you to live life to its fullest and not have to look back with regrets.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Kitty - Yay you!!!! Keep it up, you are doing great!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! 7 weeks today. Bad news is that I have started smoking a bit again. My sponsor said not to worry about it for now, but I still do. I'm trying a homeopathic remedy. I hate smoking. I was climbing the walls, caved in, had a cigarette and felt better. Urgh.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 7 weeks TL - hope you kick the smokes again soon

D
Old 04-06-2013, 01:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post

Went to USA holiday to New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Atlantic City and Las Vegas (all in 2 weeks), about six years ago and went with a mate, he'd set up loads of stuff for us to do sightseeing etc I put up with it in New York for a few days but I remember feeling angry at my mate for not wanting to go in the bars and meet the 'real' americans- people like me, drinkers. In the end we did our own thing- him seeing the tourist stuff, me seeing pub wallpaper! It was a real struggle to get to airports, bus stations etc feeling hungover, by the time I hit Vegas I hardly left the hotel I was in just drinking at the bar all day and night- alcohol once again consumed me. I convinced myself that it was my mates fault for booking too many places to visit in the time we had, so I drank and drank and drank. Cost me thousands to go and I wasted the chance of a lifetime.
Thanks for sharing this story it really hit home
Old 04-06-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. My sponsor suggested I stop beating myself up about it for now and address it in a few months when I have a little more sobriety under my belt.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yes Tiger ~ maybe too much at once, I know it is for me. I'm still smoking as well, and I hate it also. Small steps

However, really happy for you on the 7 weeks!! Woo Hoo!!!! Congratulations!

Love Venus xx
Old 04-06-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Had a dream I was handed a mug of Guiness at a St Patty's day parade. I took a sip and it was so thick and bitter. I kept asking people if they wanted a sip until it was almost gone, then I asked a drunk lady if she wanted it and she drank it down. It was a woderful feeling of accomplsihment and pride!
haha

Still sober here on day whatever it is!! 60-something!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Congrats Tigerlili!

Haven't gotten out of bed today. Just one of those days. Not a fan of weekends anymore... "Me time" isn't a joy for me like it is for others. This too shall pass I suppose... God I hope it does.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I've been feeling p.a.w.s. lately. Super clumsy especially at work where more than one broken glass has paid the price. I feel super lazy and irritable. My man was eating jelly beans and the sound was making me so annoyed so I had to come outside.

I've always been someone who feels emotions deeply and expressively so dunno of it's paws or me having to cope with myself sober. I tried to breathe and relax but still feeling a tightness in my chest. Really need to get back into yoga but the thought of having to work out is exhausting.

Also been working a lot and super busy at work so could also be restaurant burn out. I carry a lot of the energy from my shifts home with me.

Anyways that's where I'm at right now.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hey all, had a nice weekend with my daighter. again pretty quiet, but lots of giggles & happy times. I been having drinking dreams lately, kinda weird. makes you feel like youv'e slipped up. well you go through those emotions.

looking forward to the week booze free!

Old 04-06-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in on day 60!!! Still going through the ups and downs with energy, but feel very comfortable sobriety wise. Melissa, it’s been many, many moons gone by since I worked in the restaurant business, but your post brought back memories of the dive in energy once I would get home from a busy shift. Put your feet up and relax! Congratulations on 7 weeks, TigerLily! You, Venus and I will have to concoct a plan on tackling the smoking issue; seems we are gaining ground on sobriety so I can see us uniting to conquer the nicotine addiction as well.

My happy success is that I looked in the mirror today and for the first time in a couple of years, I actually liked what I saw,” I love that positive affirmation SereneEdition!

Hope everyone is doing well today!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Odelle ~ HAPPY 60 DAYS TO YOU!!!!

So happy for you, and proud of you!!

I hear you all about the ups and downs with regard to energy levels and mood; I am grumpy and exhausted. The PAWS knowledge is incredibly useful; at least I have a clue what's going on.

But it's frustrating, I'm really struggling physically ~ I just don't seem to have any stamina. And I'm clumsy, as with Melissa , stuff is getting broken. My favourite mug bit the dust most recently!

As Starbaby said ~ this too shall pass. God I hope it does as well!!

Love you all,

Venus xx
Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better Venus - I promise
Congratulations Odelle

D
Old 04-06-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

OK Dee, not that I'm complaining here, I actually LOVE it, but what is going on with you avatar wise?? Kaos was awesome, inspired...but we blink and it is gone!!

Now I do love Animal, and I think that is him in the new pic... LOL

V xx
Old 04-06-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL the KAOS one was not well received, and widely misunderstood - I think we Get Smart fans must be in the minority

thats Floyd Pepper, the bassplayer, not Animal

D
Old 04-06-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks, Serene. It hadn't occurred to me that those milestones might be things to watch out for. Hanging in there..

Odelle, congratulations on 60! And, thanks for your words of wisdom. Yes, I am on the fence and feeling peer pressure. Much easier to deal with the feelings when you know what they are! Thanks for helping me see.

Tigerlili, Venus, Odelle - I need to join you in the quest to give up smoking too...

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend x