Notices

Class of April 2013

Old 04-06-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hey Blackbird, Day 4 for me. Well done on steering away from the booze! It is sunny here, first day of spring and all sorts of temptations around. But let's try to remember how the day after we feel SO much worse than we feel good after that first drink... Am around if you need to chat, am staying inside this afternoon and evening, safer that way. All the best to you.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Blackbird, Be kind to yourself and your body. The discomfort you are feeling now and want to numb with alcohol will only get worse if you drink. I try to think about all the health benefits of quitting. Maybe treat yourself to a nice wholesome lunch, something to make you feel you are taking care of yourself.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Mark - The more sober days you accumulate, the better you'll start feeling. When that happens, don't forget how badly drinking made you feel!

Sobreia - I am a binge drinker, too - I've done foolish, embarrassing, dangerous, and irresponsible things more than I care to count. Now that I am feeling better at 9 days sober I have to keep reminding myself of the worst places alcohol landed me. Once I have the first drink, my brain chemistry changes and I block out rationale.

We gotta keep going in the right direction this time. Its nice to have people who share a similar issue. At the AA meeting I went to last night, I felt like a lot of the people made being an alcoholic sound a lot worse than what I've done or would do. (One guy said he drove to he DWI court case drunk! Went to the bar first). I know that I get out of control WHEN I drink and that its just as valid of a problem.

What are everyone's plans for this sober Saturday? We're finally getting out of this very long winter here in the North East, US. I'm going to take a long walk when my exercise buddy wakes up (she was prob out drinking last night!!) I'm also thinking about hitting a 12PM meeting.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hi all, glad to see everyone is doing well. Welcome, Panache, I too, followed the March class and could relate to your posts. I had 8 days last month and then caved. Had 5 days yesterday, and so sorry to say, gave in to the craving yet again.

It was a beautiful spring day, had the windows open, music going, and was getting ready to do some cleaning when all of a sudden I really wanted a cold beer. I usually don't even drink beer. Wine and vodka were my friends (yeah right, huh). Anyway, my husband was out with his dad and my mom-in-law was outside playing with my daughter and I was all alone. Big trigger for me. I really tried to fight it and almost posted to get help, but in the end I guess I just wasn't strong enough.... I didn't get drunk, but I did drink after 5 days of feeling pretty good sp I am very disappointed with myself. I am tired of starting over and am angry and frustrated that I can't even make it to 30 days. I will keep trying, though. All of you helped me get to Day 5 so I am going to keep reading and posting. Soon, Day 1, again, for me
Old 04-06-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hi fortysix and fruity , this group has been amazing and my life line to some small victories. In the first few days of my sobriety (and my first weekend EVER without a drink!!!) I have accomplished and realized more than I ever have in the past. The road is definitely up and down but participating here has been paramount for me. Welcome and we're glad you are here.

carter
Old 04-06-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Ladybug, I think it would be helpful for you to go over your triggers and also reflect on the reasons you want to stay stopped. Are you going to try to do anything differently this time?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

ladybug so sorry to hear about yesterday. I am however glad to hear you are not giving up. not giving up in itself is a big accomplishment despite what you might think.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Help!

I failed miserably last night. Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this when my spouse drinks?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hi AEasterman, does your spouse know you are struggling? Do you drink in front of him/her when they are drinking? I am going through something similar, long story though......
Old 04-06-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AEasterman View Post
I failed miserably last night. Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this when my spouse drinks?
It might be an idea to have a word with them. I told my other half (she already knew I had a drinking problem) and she won't drink around me now which helps out a lot. I try to keep it out the house as much as I can so I don't have to deal with obsessive temptation early in my sobriety.

I can imagine how difficult it would be to say no when your partner is sat next to you having a drink.

B
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Morning, all!
I'm on my tablet, so ill be brief. I hate typing on this thing.
Stay tough. Another day 1 just shows your determination to beat this. No one is perfect, and mistakes teach us what to do next time. It's never hopeless.
Birds are singing, sun is peeking through the trees, and I can smell coffee in the kitchen.
Ill check in later, but that coffee needs a visit!
Best, Aprilers. (Aprilers is lame. We need a cool nickname...Like The Fighting Bandicoots or something...)
Scoutie
Old 04-06-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Good advice, Mrbeagle, when I tried this a year ago my husband would not drink around me and we kept it out of the house, for the most part (what we did have in liquor cabinet I had no desire to drink). It did help, even though I felt guilty. Now he does have drinks around me, but only because I haven't been completely honest with him about my recent habits, etc. I also have told him I am OK and that his occasional beer or jack doesn't tempt me ( my bad I know).
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

What if I said that I never really drank until I met my spouse? I think it became a… if you can't beat them then join them mentality.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Big apologies to lifeplant who is just soooooo awesome they need no introduction!

Missus gone out to surprise party that I was meant to attend - Not ready to face the masses yet - but if I continue to 'pig-out' on front of the telly I'll have to join an over-eaters forum,

Enjoy the rest of the weekend Aprilers

Bobby
Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

AEasterman, I think if you are seriously trying to quit you need to tell your spouse that their drinking around you is too tempting. That is my plan. I never have a drink around my husband anymore, but have " snuck" it in the past because I think when he is having a few he won't notice that I have? Pretty pathetic. One thing I am really looking forward to in sobriety is the end of all the sneaking around and lying. It is not fair to my husband or me.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BobbyJim View Post
Hi all,

Big apologies to lifeplant who is just soooooo awesome they need no introduction!
Oh well BJ, since you've been so kind and inviting, I may just be a little bit forgiving. Thanx for the opening to gate crash the party.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Elly40 - I am with you a bit on that. I'm trying to eat healthy, as I always try to, but if I get a craving, a small bit of brownie or ice cream or whatever is better than a drink.

fortysix, eddybaby and sonic9 - welcome!

fruitymarzipan - If you stay sober, you only have to feel like this once. That what the lady from AA told me yesterday, and I'm clinging to that as a life line! You're not a s***ty mom, you are feeling bad for a weekend, so you can be an awesome mom for a long time! Good for you!

BobbyJim - Glad you're starting to feel better!

Sobreia - Thank you for your share. I can definitely relate, only I was a daily drinker who occasionally binged, I actually stopped drinking at parties over the last year or two so I wouldn't lose control in public. I would go home and drink. <sigh> Looking forward to getting to know you!

raamblingokie - congrats on your first sober Friday of a weekend and day 6. One day at a time.

mrbeagle - congrats to you too!

Dee74 - Thanks for all of your support! I love reading your posts on this thread and others. They are very helpful.

lifetplant - I hope you go to a meeting. I've been to 6 this week, they do seem to be helping!

Mark03 - You know that song, I don't know who sings it, and it says "but that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone." I keep singing that to myself to let go my past mistakes. Can't do anything about it now, other than apologize if appropriate. Not worth beating yourself up about.

fluxcap - congrats on day 5! Welcome!

bblackbirdflyy - You are responsible for having that song stuck in my head! Just kidding. A week is a big deal! Good for you. I think 15 days in December is my current record. LOL Though it doesn't really count since I was on pain killers at the time and that's why I wasn't drinking. Not the whole time, but some of it! I blew it Christmas Eve and I am just coming back around now.

janiebluebird - Don't fall into the trap of comparing drunkalogs, I stayed sober for less than 3 days 6 months ago, and I justified it by listening to the drunkalogs at my first ever AA meeting and convincing myself I didn't have a problem! Took me 6 months to try AA again. This time I am trying to have a different perspective and listen to what AA has taught people, and focus less on how we all got there.

Ladybug2 - I was a wine and vodka lady myself. (I keep using past tense to try to concrete it in my mind!). You have 5 less days of booze poisoning your system, so that's great. I was talking to a guy in AA yesterday, and he was asking me what day it was, and I said 8. And he said that's great! And then he stopped himself, and said, "I have one day. Today." He then asked the woman beside me who'd had almost a year how long she had and she started to say almost a year, but then he gave her a look, and she said "I have 1 day. Today." The point that they were trying to make is that all we have to do is be sober today. So, you are sober today! Chin up! You're doing great! Try to go to a meeting if you can.

AEasterman - Have you talked to your spouse about your wanting to stop? My DH and I had a great conversation last night. He's not a drinker, though. Last weekend was my first sober weekend and he had a few beers (over the course of the weekend, not at once, he can take it or leave it), and that wasn't a big deal for me because beer I could take or leave. But it can't hurt to be open and honest, right? I was kinda nervous to talk to him about it, but it was fine. I don't know how your spouse will react if they have a problem, that's a different situation than I'm in. Good luck today!

Scoutball - Are we not liking "Peeps"? I'm still trying to make that stick. LOL

So PEEPS, how's Saturday going? Mine's been BUSY and I'm tired, and when I'm tired, booze gave me energy (well, not really, but that's what I thought) so I'm here posting, recognizing the trigger and trying to come up with something to do. A nap perhaps? Anyway, went to AA this morning at like DAWN, I'm not a morning person, so that was a little crazy for me. I had to leave early to get to a chiropractor's appointment and my new AA lady friend showed up late, so that was a bummer, she came out in the hall to talk with me for a couple minutes because she knew I had to leave, so that was nice. Still feeling my way around. I'm glad I went. Went out for a run, that actually went really well. Was happy. So now it's the dreaded late afternoon (another huge trigger for me). But I only need to be sober today, this hour, this minute, so I'm sitting here drinking my caffeine free diet coke and just trying to muddle through. Day 9? for me. I think that's right, this is my second weekend. The true test will be tomorrow, but I'm only worried about today for today, right?
Old 04-06-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

My Saturday is going well. I did a 5 mile hike, had a late lunch when I got home, just showered. I wanted to squeeze a meeting in tonight but I don't have time. I have to attend a dinner tonight that I would rather not be attending. I already declined to go with the other girls and said I'm taking my own car because I'm leaving after. This is for the bridal party of a wedding that is in 2 weeks and the bride is giving us each a gift. I feel stable enough to go, even though I know many would advise against it. Its just dinner. I'm going to order a club soda with lemon to drink. If this was a casual dinner I would have declined but I do feel obliged to it.

I didn't get back in time from hiking to squeeze a meeting in before dinner, thats a bummer. I have SR on my phone so I'll be on here if need be

I hope everyone has a lovely & sober Saturday evening.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Cloudy, rainy, so that throws a little wrench in the beach/water plans.
Dog enjoyed the cooler air to play some tennis ball rampage in.
He's currently drooling under my desk. Gross.
Having an ok Saturday. Feel heaps better than I did yesterday.
Looking forward to tomorrow as once I get that one down--it'll be a whole week!
Excited for it.
Well, PEEPS. I'm off for more sober Saturday excitement.
Scoutie
Old 04-06-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Thanks, MustLoveCoffee, for the support and great job on making it to Day 8. AND great job to everyone else who has stayed strong and made it to another day, and to those who have slipped up (myself included), but came right back.

Have some time to kill so thought it might be a good time to tell a little more about my struggle to get sober. I am 41, married with a 3 year old daughter, who is my world. I started drinking, more than socially, in my late 20's. The longest I have ever made it (pregnancy/ nursing time excluded)
was 21 days and that was this time last year. I was so tired of struggling and I knew it was only going to get worse so I called AA one night (completely drunk) and she directed me to a meeting the next day. I remember pulling up to the meeting, with my then 2 year old in hand, and crying. Thinking to myself, how did I get here?

Anyway, I met some great people and I started enjoying going to certain meetings. It did help. I got pregnant with our second child a few months later and was happier than could be, as we had been trying for over a year. I stopped going to meetings as I had no trouble not drinking, just like when I was pregnant with my daughter. No desire nor did I miss it. Weird how that is when you are pregnant, but not any other time ( guess only us ladies can relate). However, 12 weeks later we lost the baby to a fatal chromosome disorder (Trisomy 18). Guess we knew the risks were higher with older age, but was hoping we would not be the 1 in 100.... We were devastated, but it only reminded us of how lucky we were to have already been blessed with a beautiful and healthy daughter. Much to my surprise, I didn't revert back to my old ways, right away. But I did think, "well I went 3 months without wanting a drink, maybe I can go back to enjoying it socially?" Even my husband thought I might be OK. Long story short, that wasn't the case. I now know, without a doubt, that I can't just have a couple.

So here I am, trying to get sober for good. For my daughter, who I want to see grow up and who deserves to grow up with a healthy mom, for my husband, who didn't marry this person and trusts me, and for me, so I can look at myself in the mirror and be proud of who I see.

Wow, that felt good. Not looking for any sympathy here, just wanted to share my story to everyone in hopes that it will help me and anyone else out there who struggling. This is a great group of individuals and I hope we will all continue to help each other. Thanks for listening