Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 8

Old 03-31-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trikyriky View Post
Happy Easter to All . Joining your lofty ranks. An honor to be a member of this wonderful sight.
Welcome to the Marchers Trikyriky!
Glad you've joined us
Old 03-31-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Bit of a vent again (apologies)

So my busy day turned out to be not busy at all, what I assumed was going to be 3+ hours or so at my partners mums turned out to be about half an hour, more of my partners family turned up than he expected and he really doesn't like them so we were back pretty quick.

Never mind I thought we will just do something else, but the instant we got in my partner rolled a joint, so go figure were not doing anything together then, I am soooo utterly f*ing bored its unbelievable and so uninspired I can't even come up with anything remotely interesting to do, even all my carefully picked new hobbies have no allure today.

Mentioned this to him and he just agreed and suggested some benign activity I could do by myself and added "well ill just get stoned all day then" grrr

I'm am again thinking what the f* is the point being sober if all i do is sit here bored wishing I wasn't. I get Dee's take drink off the table, or at least I understand it, but I guess taking it away as an option just leaves me with one less option.

I know this is just me rationalising having a drink, which I won't, I can't but it is hard as hell battling myself.

I said in chat last night that my AV is like a screaming toddler at the moment and that is very much how I feel, imagine 2 screaming kids fighting over a toy, one who really wants it and the other who simply wants to take it away from the other, that is where my head is at today.

Gah! Even venting hasn't helped, going to hang the washing out, at least it's sunny.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Allen Carr's Easy way to control alcohol. I've heard people mention it on here, has anyone read it? Any good?
I've just bought it, thought it'd be a good way to occupy my brain and potentially learn something which could help.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Happy Easter everyone and belated Happy Birthday Blueweater.

Dog is doing fine thank god and has an infection causing her to fall. They decided to keep her in for another night just to be sure. She is only three and it would break my heart if anything were to happen to her.
Panache this is my third time in a year to try and get sober so hopefully third time lucky. Keep with it.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
Thanks so much Raggedy and Sund!

I'll be looking into AA meetings again this week and be attending the doctors to see what else is available by means if support. I will be attending both with an open mind for certain. Like you say if it keeps you sober then it's worth the effort indefinitely.

I've just had the most amazing roast dinner, I am full and content things are looking up.
Good.....I am happy that you used the term 'OPEN MIND'....You are already in your path towards recovery....Also, please read today's - Big Book Quote by Newby.....It makes sense and it cannot be a coincidence that, this is today's quote....The higher power is giving some message to you.
-Sunder.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunds View Post

Good.....I am happy that you used the term 'OPEN MIND'....You are already in your path towards recovery....Also, please read today's - Big Book Quote by Newby.....It makes sense and it cannot be a coincidence that, this is today's quote....The higher power is giving some message to you.
-Sunder.
Where can I find this quote Sunder?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
sober date 4th march 2013

Good afternoon Marchers
Day 28
Lots of posts to catch up with so this just a short Hi!
Welcome to all new Marchers, you have come to the right place, good guys on here.
To all those who think they have slipped, you havent really, you are still here, just try and find a different route...one that works for you....you can do this
Aos...guess we all get bored from time to time....you say its sunny...walking always works for me...
Have a great day everone, stay sober, stay well and lets rock Aprils A**E!!

Mick
Old 03-31-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Where can I find this quote Sunder?
Please check the New Posts here....You will find Big Book Quote....
Old 03-31-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Bluesweater - have a good one Black - glad your dog is ok. Welcome newcomers and keep on keeping on to those struggling. HAPPY EASTER xxx

I am back - just in time for the last day of the Marchers. The drink is well and truly off the table. Nothing like leaving it to the last minute. But I don't want to be an April- er!

I had a long talk with the husband. He knew about this site already and that I have been posting here but last night I let him read my posts and to have a look at what goes on here - hope you don't mind. He read all the 'honest' comments I made here and although I still don't think he can fully understand, I think he could see where I am at physically and mentally. I think it helped him to understand a bit more.

So today I have told him that this is it. No more alcohol for me. I don't like it and I don't like what it does. I gave up smoking on 2.1.12 after many failed attempts and after being constantly nagged to stop. But it didn't happen until I fully committed myself to wanting to stop. I don't even think about it now. I am hoping and praying that it will be similar with drink although no doubt much harder. But as Deeker said in another thread today 'only you know if you are done'. Well today, l know l am done.

We go on holiday in 2 months and my husband asked what would I do then. Traditionally we would hit the bar at night, roll back to the hotel in the early hours and drag ourselves out of bed at lunch time. I said well it's a couple of months away and will worry about it later not now. Anyway he did agree that he could do without feeling like c*** every morning of the holiday. Anyway that's for another time.

So I am making a list of things I want to do/achieve. I want to enrol in open university;am going to dust of my 2 years worth of subscription photography magazines that I have never looked at and learn how to use the camera properly; plant flowers in my garden.... but most of all take little steps to ensure no more drink!

It's been a great month here will all the Marchers despite my slip ups and I look forward to us all moving on together. You are such a wonderful group of people and you will probably never really know how much you have helped me. I know one thing for sure - I wouldn't have had the strength to make the decision I have to stop drinking. With your support here and with husband on board, I feel like it can actually happen.

Sorry for rambling but I just had to get that all out. Love you loads my Marcher pals xxx

Day 1 and counting
Old 03-31-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Snagglepuss is back

Well done you, being totally open with your husband is definitely the way to go, IMHO,
You ramble as much as want sweetie, love you snaggs

Mick
Old 03-31-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks Mick ...Love u too (no jealousy Toots lol)

Oh and now that I'm not drinking all my calories I must dig out those cook books too and get back to exercising I used to run 10ks etc. Can't remember last time I went for s jog.

This list is gonna be a long one
Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snaggle View Post
Thanks Mick ...Love u too (no jealousy Toots lol)

Oh and now that I'm not drinking all my calories I must dig out those cook books too and get back to exercising I used to run 10ks etc. Can't remember last time I went for s jog.

This list is gonna be a long one
Snaggle I'm on day one too and Toots gave me some brilliant advice earlier "make yourself the project"

No more drinking calories, more exercise AND GOOD FOOD
Old 03-31-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Snaggle I'm on day one too and Toots gave me some brilliant advice earlier "make yourself the project"

No more drinking calories, more exercise AND GOOD FOOD
Just before stopping, read a book that suggested I cut out sugar and white flour as a way to cut down on the urges.
Dont know if there is any validation in this, but it seemed to work for me

Mick
Old 03-31-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Exactly Panache. And the possibilities are endless! At least we have managed to get back on course. We can do this!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chuff1 View Post

Just before stopping, read a book that suggested I cut out sugar and white flour as a way to cut down on the urges.
Dont know if there is any validation in this, but it seemed to work for me

Mick
You'd think one would be bread due to the yeast, if anything.

I'll certainly try it Mick, I don't have a sweet tooth, never really been one for chocolate, so it's worth a shot
Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

hi Panache

Apparently, its to do with body balance...calories in alcohol cause upsurge in sugar levels then a crash, when stopping, consuming sugar causes upswing in sugar levels then the inevitable crash, which the brain takes as you needing more sugar, just like it did with alcohol. White flour has all goodness removed so has zilch goodness causing a similar reaction.
Like I have said not saying that this is gospel or anything, just know that it appeared to work for me, i now spend my alcohol allowance on fruit, fruit and more fruit!!

Mick
Old 03-31-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I have been craving sugar since I stopped on the 20th March weird as I never ate sweets before my body is obv missing it makes you wonder what else it does to you I am now sleeping ok which is fab will try to cut down on junk this week !!! X
Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi June

Think you may be spot on June
You stopped on my B/day, got to be a good sign

Mick
Old 03-31-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chuff1 View Post
hi Panache

Apparently, its to do with body balance...calories in alcohol cause upsurge in sugar levels then a crash, when stopping, consuming sugar causes upswing in sugar levels then the inevitable crash, which the brain takes as you needing more sugar, just like it did with alcohol. White flour has all goodness removed so has zilch goodness causing a similar reaction.
Like I have said not saying that this is gospel or anything, just know that it appeared to work for me, i now spend my alcohol allowance on fruit, fruit and more fruit!!

Mick
I'm trying this tomorrow! (As I've probably eaten flour today already )
Anything to ease the cravings, after 5 days my cravings come back with a vengeance! I think a good diet coupled with exercise (I'm joining a yoga class by my work - shocking :p) should help me fight them off a little.

Thanks for the tip Mick!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi all

I actually did feel better after my little rant, so thanks or listening

Mick, I did know about the sugar thing though I ha read that a little sugar when urging could help not the other way around, I have been happily munching sugary sweets on an evening since I quit, possible adding to my day time mood swings.. Maybe...

Will give cutting out some sugar a go and see how I get on.