Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 7

Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
People have told me before to call them when I get an urge to drink, and I have to explain to them that I haven't called them to stop me from drinking in the past (and probably wouldn't in the future) because once the urge hit, I didn't WANT anyone to talk me out of it!
Word
Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday MrBeagle!

Wow, these threads are running like a freight train! Awesome!

Starting day 5 here. Has a bit of an urge to drink last night right at about the time a drinking buddy called me, figured at that point it would be a bad time to answer my phone. Feeling good though! Urges to drink are getting shorter and shorter. And I sleep like a baby. all in all starting to feel optimistic!

Roll on Sober Marchers!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I dont' want anyone to talk me out of it either! But there was a part of me that DIDN"T wnat to drink, that KNEW I would only regret it, that didn't want to lose what I have worked for all month, and and I just posted without even thinking, desperate for any help I could get. And..it worked
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bepresent View Post
I noticed we have quite a few writers in here: Northlander, AofS and I think some others? I studied journalism and English lit at university, did PR (the devil's work!) for eight years, and am now a stay-at-home mother, doing a little copywriting for my husband's company and very slowly doing some research for a children's novel. Are you guys involved in any online writing communities?
I guess you could say that I’m an aspiring writer but the stack of rejection letters and emails would have you believe otherwise! I mainly write genre fiction (horror, pulp, weird western, etc) but also do book reviews for a few horror-themed review sites.

I used to be active on Shocklines but that really took a turn for the worst so now the only writing community I’m involved with is through Twitter and Facebook.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrbeagle View Post
Birthday boy gets the first post
Happy Birthday!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
sober date 4th march 2013

morning Irelander

Well done you

Have a great day, stay well

Mick

M
Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Any of you lovely Marchers on twitter ?

I know lots of folks don't like to share personal details ect but though i would check, I personally have an account separate from my "established" personal account, I am pretty easy to find if you do (same name)
Old 03-27-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
sober date 4th march 2013

Marchers

Is it just me? Or has anyone else noticed how crazy it seems, to bemoan the fact that we are NOT doing, that what we DONT want to DO!
Perhaps I am just being my usual simplistic self, but as sure as eggs is eggs, its easier being happy about not doing what I dont want to do.
Urges/AV will eventually fade, and as the little monster dies within us I guess it will do all it can to stay alive, but as been said many times on this site....it has no legs.

Mick

Stay well peeps
Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Sunny Day 22 here!

I scooped horse poop for about an hour and 20 minutes yesterday and stuffed nine hay nets, cutting the tip of my right ring finger in the process. I was so sore it was all I could do to drag myself to bed last night. Fortunately, the muscle soreness is all but gone today.

Another writer/editor here -- majored in English in college, worked at a sales training and motivational magazine for five years in my twenties, and my last job was researching, writing and editing articles on a huge range of topics for the military community (not defense-related stuff, though I did work at a DoD agency for five years, but issues relevant to military families and the military lifestyle). I just Googled my name and that of the magazine I used to work for and see that 93 of my articles, with my byline, are available online. I already had a good sampling of hard copies of a number of them, but it's actually very useful to me to know that there are so many more of them available online. Aaaaand that's probably enough horn-tooting for one post.

I heard from my contact at the Senior Visitors Program I'm volunteering for, and it looks like I'll be getting to meet "my" senior, Barbara, soon. The idea behind the program is for volunteers to agree to spend an hour a week with a senior who may have limited support or independence or who just wants companionship. I'm told Barbara was just diagnosed with breast cancer but that they caught it early enough that surgery (no chemo) should take care of it, so that's good. Really looking forward to meeting and spending time with her.

RE: Twitter -- I have an account I never use. I just can't seem to get into the whole social media thing. Maybe I'm too old.

Five days (including today -- it's early here in the States) left, sober Marchers. KEEP MARCHING!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArgentOfSilvae View Post
Any of you lovely Marchers on twitter ?

I know lots of folks don't like to share personal details ect but though i would check, I personally have an account separate from my "established" personal account, I am pretty easy to find if you do (same name)
I just added you Argent
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Just a quick check-in, doing really well! I hope all of you have an awesome, sober day ... Or at least a sober one :-)

Sassy
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Morning petals

First up, felicitations to the Beagle boy. I'm delighted we now share the same mental age.

Looking through, there's some good clean time being racked up here. It's excellent to see. In some small ways, this particular gathering of the chattering classes has an excellent momentum about it. First and foremost, we have an obligation to ourselves, but even if a small part of us feels an obligation to this group, that can only help, especially in trying moments when it all seems a bit much.

My sad attempt at instituting some sort of a fitness regime has yet to take flight after the initial stab the other day. I'm sure mentally it helps free the mind, but physically it's just rubbish. I'm still aching. Gearing up to try and wave goodbye to Mr. Marlboro Man for the umpteenth time so looking forward to increasing the number of grumpy and snarky posts I drop on here.

Keep the news and entertainment coming folks.

Cheers

NT
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

People of twitter:

If you want mine, PM me and I'll give you it. I'd normally just post it straight on here but it's my personal account (it's my actual name) and don't want all the world to see it and associate it with my account on here.

I never used to use Twitter much, but will be on it more often, since I deactivated my Facebook as I couldn't stand the continuous photos of a selection of drinks lined up on the bar with titles such as "School night lol".

Much love.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Good Morning Marching Marchers!!

Day 18 here and feeling groovy

I have to agree that the phrase/thought 'taking the drink off the table' has also helped me immensely. I started this planning to moderate.. as if the drink was a card in a deck, I kept shuffling it and kept trying different variations of it, trying to find a way to keep it in play..... which bring me to the quote I have on my bathroom mirror:

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."

My goodness, it is just so much EASIER to take it off the table!!

Brilliant
Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Just had a 'romanticised' feeling about relaxing with wine tonight - this is usually a drink night for me - start of weekend and all that (for me anyway). GO AWAY

Just need to remember what I have been feeling for past couple days - i.e. 'good' dont want to feel like c**p again - and if I did have a drink tomight it would only reinforce my husband's opinion about me. Usually I just give in to the feeling BUT NOT TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone else is doing well xx
Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nattythreads View Post
Morning petals

First up, felicitations to the Beagle boy. I'm delighted we now share the same mental age.

Looking through, there's some good clean time being racked up here. It's excellent to see. In some small ways, this particular gathering of the chattering classes has an excellent momentum about it. First and foremost, we have an obligation to ourselves, but even if a small part of us feels an obligation to this group, that can only help, especially in trying moments when it all seems a bit much.

My sad attempt at instituting some sort of a fitness regime has yet to take flight after the initial stab the other day. I'm sure mentally it helps free the mind, but physically it's just rubbish. I'm still aching. Gearing up to try and wave goodbye to Mr. Marlboro Man for the umpteenth time so looking forward to increasing the number of grumpy and snarky posts I drop on here.

Keep the news and entertainment coming folks.

Cheers

NT
Nattythreads,

I just *adore* your sense of humor...

you crack me up!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Panache,

I'm so happy you made it thru your cravings once again and you face another sunshiny day

Tomorrow is 7 for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love ya Soul Sister <3

Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phebe View Post
Panache,

I'm so happy you made it thru your cravings once again and you face another sunshiny day

Tomorrow is 7 for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love ya Soul Sister <3

The big 7 tomorrow

Thank you Phebe and well done to you too, you're doing marvellously.

Love you too soul sister! Preaching the gospel of sobriety one day at a time
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hey Argent, I just added you on twitter Same goes for me as Penache, i'm happy to give my username but I just don't wanna post it direct here in the unlikely result it will get spammed to hell and back.

Nattythreads you could be a comedic author, you really do come out with some gold
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Snaggle, loving your avatar. Prove your loving husband wrong tonight my friend! 360shoes, I actually found my avatar photo online – was looking for dogs with amusing expressions. You are right, this pooch has a kissable mug.

Bepresent, Murdock, and AoS – I was in an online writing community, but they seem to lend themselves to flame wars (usually published vs. unpublished, literary vs. genre, etc. etc.), discussion of personal problems rather than craft, and at the end of the day, were a time-suck – time that I could have spent actually writing instead of writing about writing. I recommend enrolling in an online creative writing class rather than participating in an open online group since classes keep you focused and often writing groups spin-off from an online class. Best online classes in my opinion are at the Loft Literary Center. Bepresent, what age group are you writing for? Murdock, you should see my stack of rejections I got before I finally was published. Sadly, there is no way around the rejection part of the journey.

Murdock, hope the nachos worked last night. My go-to movies are Dr. Strangelove, Fargo, and Moonstruck. Recently saw an 80’s film, My Beautiful Launderette, which I thought was terrific. My other diversions during urges are guilty pleasures on youtube. Here is my current favorite:

The Ultimate Wake Up PRANK Compilation - YouTube

Congrats to the Twin Addictions Club on not smoking: Phebe, clight, Jimuk and yours truly. Natty, the water’s fine, jump in! The strategies you use to ride out the alcohol urges are the same ones you can use to ride out the nicotine urges.

Fickedhisbic – everything is good to discuss, particularly as it relates to our sobriety, which clearly your eating disorder does. We are here for you, friend.

Blisskickout – don’t beat yourself up. We are addicts and the shame can sometimes make us give up – I know it has happened to me.

Congratulations Juneprottey on week one and to IreLander on 5 days! Forabetterlife congratulations on riding out the rough patch – good for you on reaching out! MeSoSober – I think you do have that kind of fight in you – look at all you have accomplished already. – 22 Days!

Panache, friend, please post away and we will help you ride out the urges. (I will be on and off since I am supposed to be working at the moment….)

Toots, dogs spared me for another day. Sassy, always wonderful to see you – please post later with all the news from Sassy-Land.

Hi Mick – does your response to Toots’ question mean you are a member of the conservative party?

How’s trix trach?

Mrbeagle, we are feelin’ your love – thanks!

If I missed you, forgiveness please.

Yours truly is feeling good with 27 days booze-free and 57 days smoke-free. Seriously, I am in such a good mood all the time that the Irish Catholic in me is waiting for the other shoe to drop and punish me for enjoying life.

Big love to all Marchers!