Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 7

Old 03-29-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by dorothyparker View Post
Hello everyone. Happy Good Friday I guess.

I think it's the first time I have such great cravings since I stopped on December 31st. I'm super depressed and lonely and only want a bottle of white wine. I'm alone so who would it bother anyways except me and my body/health, etc...

I'm not going to drink but I wish I could.
Hang in there Dorothy, you are not alone. We might not be physically present but we are with you.
PM me if you want to talk
Hugs
Old 03-29-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hey gang, 90 days down here.

It was tough not to drink in late December and early January, but now I find that, on a mental level, life is so much easier.

Did I drink too much today? No. Do I drink too much in general? No. Is my drinking getting worse? No. Is my liver in peril? No. Should I pop by the store and grab some beer for tonight? No. Have I had too many drinks to drive? No. Is alcohol affecting my memory? No. Do I spend too much money on alcohol? No. Am I going to wake up tomorrow morning with a hangover? No. Am I going to be exhausted all day tomorrow? No.

Glorious!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Ruffian

D
Old 03-29-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

It's good to hear about other people feeling similar feelings here. Thank you for your comments.

I'm having my whole family over on Easter Sunday and although I suggested we have a alcohol-free brunch, my sister refused. She has a problem with alcohol and I guess she's not ready, will never be probably, to give up. So I just hope I'll be fine. Strangely, it's only when I'm on my own that my cravings speak strongly. Are you guys doing anything special on Sunday ? What do you do now that you don't fill in the alone time by drinking ?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

I barely have enough hours in the day now Dorothy...It took a while, but I realised eventually that I can do absolutely anything I want nowadays...I just can't drink.

That seems like a fair trade off to me

D
Old 03-29-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Ruffian - Great post! A checkdown list like yours is an effective affirmation for choosing not to drink.

Dorothy - Hang in there, you'll feel much better tomorrow morning without alcohol tonight. We've no special plans yet for Easter Sunday but I'll be in a much better state of being compared to last year's wine fueled afternoon.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dorothyparker View Post
Hello everyone. Happy Good Friday I guess.

I think it's the first time I have such great cravings since I stopped on December 31st. I'm super depressed and lonely and only want a bottle of white wine. I'm alone so who would it bother anyways except me and my body/health, etc...

I'm not going to drink but I wish I could.
I was really thirsty tonight, still am a little. Made it home without stopping anywhere... don't have anything going on right now or tomorrow, oh well isn't that awesome, I actually just remember I am doing a 5k walk for a fundraiser in the morning. Crap, I don't even know where it is. Anyway it's quiet and dark, I'm awake. I wish I could drink, and yet I'm glad I don't have to.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

I often found it useful to try and examine why I wanted to drink - boredom, loneliness, stress relief etc- and then go from there, trying to think of other more positive healthy ways to deal with whatever I was feeling.

I think it's worth a shot?

D
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi

Glad you're back on deck, Dee. Congrats on 70 Alison. Liz, you had a phantom hangover, like you said, at least it's not a real one.

Gilmer, sorry about the home drama, hope it blows over soon.

Congrats on 90 Ruffian

I'm going to check out Dee's story now!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry if I missed your post Alison - there's a lot to catch up on - congratulations on 70

D
Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Dee what a beautiful inspiring story. I'm at a fork that I've been at a bunch of times, and the only thing to do is drink or move forward. Well, I want to somehow go to sleep and wake up changed, I don't want to have to make adjustments as I move through my days. It's hard, it got late... and sometimes I just don't even want to try. But I don't want to be where I've been either.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

The thing I tried to remember is there's at least the chance of a good payoff by moving forward...there's nothing back the way we came, rick.

I hope you feel a little better about stuff tomorrow

D
Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I'm somewhere around 71 days. I was feeling a bit squirrely but would surf the urge out, feel okay and the have to start surfing the urges again. It's weird I really didn't want to use but was just a bit off kilter today. And now I'm tired and about to call it a day. Chalk another day up. I'm sober, thank God.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post

!
Fantastic, Ruffian!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Just read your story, Dee, and I'm lost for words. Crying here. You're just magnificent. You say SR saved your life. You and the Januarians are saving mine. I came here on Jan 4, 4 days into my latest "quit forever" stint - they usually lasted until the weekend. Now, 90 days coming up. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, and God bless.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Ruffian, and congratulations to you, too, Reeny and Soberr1ck.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi class!

Been busy this past week with my boys in town. Lots of fun. Lots of bike rides.
Yesterday I was getting my bike ready to go, grabbed a water out of the garage fridge, and noticed about 6 beers left in the back of the fridge. I pictured myself grabbing one and opening it and drinking it. It was more of a memory vision than something I wanted to do. I used to go down there in the mornings with a hangover and grab one or two of hubby's beers to start the day. What a terrible memory. I shut the fridge and went on my ride.
I'm loving being with my boys sober. Every sober moment with them is worth not picking up that beer ever again.
Hoping to surf today before work if it's not too small. Another one of the many things I couldn't do with a hangover.
Hope you are all well! Happy Sober Saturday!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Dee

I also just read your story, Dee. You are my hero for the obstacles you have overcome and for the sensible advice and encouragement you give to us. You are very wise my friend. Thanks.
W
Old 03-30-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Good morning class,

Day 70 here. It is a beautiful crisp sunny day. As I was outside smoking, the thought "I will never drink again" came upon me completely enveloping me and not only was I fine with it but I felt complete balance and at peace
I guess weird things happen when you re read your big plan and do the third step prayer in the same hour LOL.
Congrats to everyone who has achieved a benchmark.

Have a great and sober week end.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post

It was tough not to drink in late December and early January, but now I find that, on a mental level, life is so much easier.

Did I drink too much today? No. Do I drink too much in general? No. Is my drinking getting worse? No. Is my liver in peril? No. Should I pop by the store and grab some beer for tonight? No. Have I had too many drinks to drive? No. Is alcohol affecting my memory? No. Do I spend too much money on alcohol? No. Am I going to wake up tomorrow morning with a hangover? No. Am I going to be exhausted all day tomorrow? No.

Glorious!
I love this it is very true 90 days tomorrow for me too! Well done x