Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 7

Old 03-27-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babs1234 View Post
Wow---it's not the easiest trip a person wants to go
on. But, with this kind of support a person can't go wrong. thanks for the support.
Hear, hear, Babs! I'm coming up to 90 days sober (next Mon) and it's been the biggest challenge I think I've ever faced.

But, today an amazing thing happened. I was invited out for lunch over Easter by some red wine lovers and I accepted without thinking twice because I felt confident that I wouldn't be tempted at all. Now, I wondered about this for a while and realised it's because I'm now making a choice not to drink. It's not about willpower or denial, it's about standing firm about my CHOICE. Where did this sudden shift in my thinking come from? It certainly wasn't through therapy or any conscious thought. And it might not last but, at least for tonight, I'm smiling!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Keeping My Eye On The Prize

Hi all, still hanging in there, no etoh and no worries, at least for the moment, keep strong all. Never give up, and keep going strong!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone !!!! It's a brisk cold day here in ND. it sure does wake you
up!! Had a great eve no urges --my av voice stayed away too !!! Keep on marching everyone and have a great day---stay strong.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hello

It's cold here too Babs brrrrr my daffodils need mittens.

Reeny that's awesome I hope to get there soon I think it makes a big difference and a big step in recovery.

Feeling lot more calmer than at the Start of the week phew it was like I had numbed these feelings for so long and they had to come out and boy did they lol. All good though learning what I need to work on.

Hope you all having a great day

One more day in work and then easter. Yay legit excuse to eat masses of chocolate can't be bad. My av been quiet and we'll behaved recently but my cv (chocolate voice) has a megaphone plugged into electronic amps.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosieblue View Post
My av been quiet and we'll behaved recently but my cv (chocolate voice) has a megaphone plugged into electronic amps.
Ha, ha--I love it!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Good morning class,

I just wanted to say hi. I am still sober and doing good. It is great to see you back on the saddle Dorris.
The headlines at home are about a man who killed a family while driving drunk.v We should count our blessings that we are on the path of recovery, but for the grace of God Driver in fatal Seattle crash had string of DUI arrests, second chances | Local News | The Seattle Times
I am with you Rosie, the AVs are leaving me alone but the CVs are acting up. It seems that I need a baar of chocolate right before bed those days and I truly was never a person into sweets. Might be our bodies making up for the calories we are not taking with booze. Actually, I have been losing weight even though I am eating a LOT.

Wishing everyone a good and sober day
Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Where has Dee been?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Don't think Dee been very well

Hugs Dee get well soon
Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

60 days today! Thanks so much, Januarians, for sharing your thoughts and experiences, both on the good days and the difficult ones as well. I've read literally every word on this thread since joining at the beginning of February. It has helped tremendously!

I've seen similar lists around this forum, so I'm writing this more for myself as a reminder lest I feel tempted.

Benefits of 60 days without a drink:
1. I used to pass out at 10 p.m., wake up at 3 a.m. and doze until 6 a.m. Now I go to bed at 11 and sleep well -- even when interrupted -- until 6.30.
2. I used to wake up, run through the events of the previous night and hope I didn't say anything too obnoxious. Now I wake up knowing that even if there were difficult discussions, points were argued fairly and not weepily, wildly and incoherently.
3. Bowls of chips, peanuts and other fatty snacks used to accompany my evening red wine. Now I don't crave these foods in such quantities ... good bye 5 pounds!
4. It used to take me until noon to shake the daily headache and overall grossness / lethargy. Now I wake up refreshed and ready to face the day.
5. I often exercised to sweat out the wine. Now I exercise for the pure joy of movement.
6. The whites of my eyes were a bit yellowish and I was puffy around the eyes. Now the whites of my eyes have returned to a more normal state, and I look alert and "awake" around the eyes.
7. I used to plan evening activities around happy hour so that I wouldn't have to drive after 7 p.m. Now I can shop, visit, do anything at any time.
8. The thought of doing anything that didn't start and/or end with a glass of wine made me not want to participate. A book reading at the public library with my favourite author? No thanks. Book reading at a private book store (= wine and cheese) with some author I find merely tolerable, yes, PLEASE! Now I've got my priorities straight.
9. I used to avoid difficult discussions at work because I was chronically sleep deprived and didn't trust myself not to fly off the handle and say something I'd regret. Now I take people to task (fairly and with respect) when something needs to be said.
10. Most days I felt like things had to be shiny on the outside, even though I felt like crap on the inside. Things are good -- 'though still not perfect -- but at least the outside matches the inside.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congrats Liz:a122
I was thinking the same thing Gilmer. I hope he is ok and just taking a break...I'm not sure about Australia but around here, there was that nasty cold virus going around.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good morning my amazing January class

LizG congratulations on 60 days awesome.

Love the list idea going make one in my journal so with you on enjoying the freedom of not having to plan life around drinking.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:38 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LizG View Post
60 days today!
Well done, Liz!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Yes, congratulations, Liz!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hey gang! Day 70 here - nice round number! Less than 3 weeks until I hit 90 - and I WILL make it!

Dee - please feel better, rest up and take care of yourself, we'll hold down the fort til you're back on your feet!

Awesome list LizG, amazing all the benefits both big and small.

I am busy, busy - doctor's appointments for flare up of back issues, 2 counseling groups a week, one on one counseling, school, work, husband, doggie... but i was thinking this morning how really wonderful it is to actually remember everything I do, and to really be present in life. This life isn't always easy, but it's mine.

January class - keep up the good work!!

-AlisonW
Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Day 16 here, a "kid" compared to a lot of you. Getting to Friday - no problem, but AV
is telling me it's OK to have a couple. Thankfully, this time, the GF is pushing me to not
ive in to temptation. I think she's starting to like me being bright and bubbly at 5:30AM!
She's also becoming more conscious (and occasionally defensive) about her own drinking.
Somehow, though I haven't been drinking, the recycling is still getting filled up with wine
ottles. And I know the kids and dogs and lizards aren't drinking the red wine! : )
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I just said this on the one year and under thread. I'm sick today. Head is very heavy and lots of chills. Not sure if it's a virus or the effects of caffeine withdrawal. I quickly got in my two cups of coffee this morning, but I don't feel much better. I had a lot of "brain work" I needed to do today, too. That's probably shot.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Sorry Gilmer. Hope you feel better.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi class

Allison: Congrats on day 70! that's awesome.
Gilmer: I hope you feel better soon..
Blond: I am glad you are staying strong against the stupid AVS and that your girlfriend is being supportive. As far as her drinking goes, she might be going through a phase and drinking too much and more or you could just be more aware of her drinking. I know that since I have quit, I am horrified by how much beer my friend consumes but I have to remember that ultimately it's up to him whether or not he wants to stop.
Like you Liz, I truly appreciate not to have to plan my life around drinking. What a relief.

Wishing everyone a good and sober day.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

69 days here!

Congrats to everyone!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Well done Alison on 70 and Eddie on 69

Gilmer hope you feel better soon.