Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 7

Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Morning class, happy belated birthday Dorothy! I agree with Gilmer, it couldn't hurt to try AA. I went once and took what I could from it. I don't think it's for me personally but it definitely has helped a lot of people. My hubby loves AA, although he just goes to help him understand my situation better.
Going to take a much needed day off today. Bike ride is on the agenda and an early dinner with friends tonight.
Have a good Monday everyone!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Sounds great, Siesta!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Dorothy!

Day 88 here. I have not been to AA, but I did go to an SOS meeting last week, my first. Has anyone else tried that group? I liked it, pretty low key and just folks sitting around chatting. Seems they are big into planning alcohol free events, parties etc, which I'm looking forward to. There's just so many reminds, sometimes it's nice to have a break. Went out to dinner with hubs on Saturday, ordered a root beer and they brought me the IBC brand which comes in basically a beer bottle. Didn't need that reminder so poured it into a glass real quick! Funny how the little things can get to you.
I am feeling great. Honestly if it weren't for having to have the conditional license for so long, I'd be in a really great place.
Hope everyone is doing well!

-Alison
Old 04-15-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hi Alison, congrats on 88 days!! I've never heard of SOS but will be looking it up.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

It's great to have alcohol free events. I'm lucky that alcohol events don't really trigger me but I'm probably fooling myself. Bill - on his PAWS website - was saying that most relapses arise after we felt so sure of ourselves. So I better keep my cheekiness in check.

It's true about the bottles and other reminders...It's amazing how TV thinks it's fine to always show someone enjoying a glass of wine. I wish that they were a bit more careful around that. The cult of the wine...oh boy.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hey All

I'm so pleased to see so many of you doing really well and staying strong

I fell into the trap of 'nothing bad happened so it's ok to drink a few more' EQUALS drunk 13/21 days.

It's about time to face up to the fact I can't moderate my drinking and need to get back on the wagon. I'll be hanging out in the April class for a while but will pop in to see how your all doing.

xxx
Old 04-15-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Dorris! i was so excited to see the menu and see your name as the last name posted! It's good to have you back. We notice and miss you when you're gone. Sorry you've been having trouble. Hang out in both groups! You can't get enough SR bolstering! (Take it from me--I'm obsessive 24/7).
Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Thanks Glimer that's so nice of you to say and I seen you all over the place on here yesterday, you have come so far it's amazing well done

xxx
Old 04-16-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

This January group has been pretty quiet. I'm waiting for a big explosion of posts soon!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Good morning

LOL Gilmer was lurking then thought I better post

Dorris glad you back and posting.

Alison glad you feeling positive.

Nothing new in my world feel a bit in limbo drinking wise till I get back from holidays 3 weeks Yay then sun sea and chocolate. I picked a villa a mile away from any bar taverna or shop that sells well anything lol in a little village on the mountains with wonderful views over the Mediterranean, I think if I was just going with hubby I wouldn't be worried about drinking but there's another couple going and though not big drinkers 2 glasses of wine tops the temptation will be there especially relaxed and on hols.

Anyway hope you all having a lovely sober week.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

That sounds lovely, Rosie! Hopefully the temptation won't be so bad with the other couple. I have found that I'm not nearly so tempted when the focus is on the camaraderie with the friends, not on the alcohol. If it was a wine tasting festival or a bunch of people sitting around critiquing the alcohol, then the temptation would be a little worse.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Great to see you back, Dorris. You've been a great inspiration for me and I know you'll get back on the straight and narrow.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

It's great to see the positive attitudes in this thread as it has help me very much sense my syober party started on 2-January. Happy Belated Birthday, Dorothy.

Nothing really new for me. I went camping with my sons this weekend and did not have any urges to drink. In retrospect, this is really amazing because camping always meant some bourbon by the campfire. I totally understand I can't moderate and it is vitally important to stay vigilant to not let the guard down in any way.....still, it feels good to have sober beginning to feel the normal. What does freak me out is watching my sons grow up. They've been my best friends for the last 10 years but now they are teenagers and pulling away.

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
Just have to share. Mary Karr, quoting Harry Crews, writes in "Lit" - I'm the kind of person who - if he can't have too much of something - doesn't want any of it."

This is so much my Achilles heel - anyone else the same?
Harry Crews' quote personifies how I'm wired. Can you flip it to your advantage, Reeny, and go "all in" with sobriety? It may sound ridiculous but I told myself (and a few drinking mates) that I was reinventing as a non-drinker and anything less would be total failure. The boozing buddies laughed at me and said I was full of ****.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

You're not full of it, Like2Hike! You're healthy. i see sobriety as part of health. It's clean and good. Our teenage sons are pulling back from us a little. i guess they're starting to have more private things going on, and they aren't quick to share them, especially with their parents. We try to keep things enjoyable and on good terms, even if it's only on a surface level for awhile. (We still put our two cents in once in awhile, even when it's not solicited! What are parents for?) Camping sounds great. Good memories in common for later, when they're closer again. Our three older kids have gone through the "withdrawal" phase and have come back around again. When they get into their twenties, they can be best friends with their parents again, but on adult terms. It's cool! You'll see!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

It seems Gilmer that we're all writing for you so you have some action yé !

Rosie that holiday sounds wonderful...I hope you'll focus only on your new health, wine, beer, cocktails, they are poisonous to us. It helped me to think that alcohol is poisonous to everyone, like Allen Carr said, all the additives made it more palatable and we acquired the taste.

Nothing less than a total non-drinker would not be acceptable, you're so not full of **** H2H.

I've been reading Bill's blog over at Sunrise, about PAWS and it looks like I'm a classic case. In any case, I loved this quote and keep using it so I don't use black and white terms:

Buddhists talk about “skillful” and “unskillful” behavior. In recovery, we want to become more skillful in our ways of living. When we’re learning, we’re apt to make occasional mistakes. That’s human, not weakness. Keep moving toward skillful. Forget perfection — that way lies more addiction.

Have a great day.

DP

Last edited by Dee74; 04-16-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Morning class! The sun is shining already and feels great after days of clouds. Even my little dog is thrilled about it. Feeling good today. Did 44 miles on the bike yesterday. Had Peruvian food last night with old friends. Love Peruvian so ate way too much but it was my reward for the bike ride. The first thing our friends did when they sat down was order beers. I was waiting for them to say something about our iced teas but they never did. I think they figured we're just on a health kick. Fine by me.

Rosie, "sun, sea, and chocolate." Is there anything better? Have a great time!

Like2hike and Gilmer, I totally relate to the teenager thing. My oldest 2 are pulling away (unless they need money) but the 2 fifteen year olds are still buddy buddy with us. Can't wait for the older ones to come back around.

Dorothy, thanks for the quote. Good way to look at things in recovery.

Morning Reeny and everyone else. Have a great Tuesday! I'm heading to DMV to sort out my car issues, but then I think I'll go get my nails done because its been awhile. Another shorter bike ride tonight will be the day for me. Oh and take this mongrel for a walk also!

image-1128787784.jpg
Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Elvis is such a cutie-pie!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hello my friends -

Sorry to be out of touch; I had a week long family trip to Texas that was very difficult, only to return to layers of work and kids issues last week, mixed in with some enjoyment here and there. I don't know how I would have done it if this forum had not gotten me to face how bad substance abuse can be and what a bad example it sets for the kids.

I have been reluctant to post because I have found a path where I have been able to maintain a very light drinking pattern without any binges, drinking around the kids, or regrets of any kind (last night I drove to a hard-drinking party and didn't have a drop, not even tempted). I actually am enjoying those periods when I am drinking nothing more than when I have had something. But I know that many people can't survive a glass of wine without needing 100 more, and that was me for so many years. But somehow now I can, it is just not as appealing to me any more, like when a smoker gets to where the smell of it is off-putting enough that they can have a puff but not need any more. But I don't want to be a bad influence on anyone. I have maintained a 60%+ non-drinking rate so far this year, am proud of that, but don't know where it will go.

I don't know if I will go toward more sobriety over time, but I know I won't move more toward drunkenness ever again.

I truly hope this post doesn't make anyone feel bad.

Best, Blond
Old 04-16-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Oh that dog is so so so cute !! How old is he ? I was thinking of getting a Boston. Are they good dogs ? Sorry to change the subject here but that dos is too cute He's called Elvis ?

Blondsober, I can't talk for anyone else just for me. It doesn't make me feel bad at all. I used to be that way, for at least 3 months, then the total drinking would come back real fast. The only thing it does to me is that I think: hey, maybe I can do that too ? It gives me the feeling to try moderation and I know it's an absolute no no for me so...

I'm happy for you if you found a way. You may be in the very small percentage of drunks who can go from a lot of booze to just a little. I've seen people do it but there are very few.

Take care and be careful,

DP
Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Blond

I had periods like that too - but they were only periods. It was like my addiction was lulling me into a false sense of security.

I don't want to p*** you off - I don't wish you ill, and I really hope you're right, but I have to be honest too -

folks who post for months on a recovery forum are the least likely candidates to become normal drinkers again....if they were ever normal drinkers in the first place.

best wishes Blond
D