Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 7

Old 04-13-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90, Woodhead. Reeny, I love Mary Karr's writing. I'll have to check out "Lit."
Old 04-14-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Just have to share. Mary Karr, quoting Harry Crews, writes in "Lit" - I'm the kind of person who - if he can't have too much of something - doesn't want any of it."

This is so much my Achilles heel - anyone else the same?
Old 04-14-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Yes! When I like something, moderation is not an option. Similarly, if I dislike something, wild horses cannot get me to do it! I've been trying to live a temperate, well-balanced life all around, and it is very hard.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
Just have to share. Mary Karr, quoting Harry Crews, writes in "Lit" - I'm the kind of person who - if he can't have too much of something - doesn't want any of it."
Reeny,
Yes indeed. At parties I always had to be the last man standing, and I ran what could have been a good thing into the ground. One is too many and a thousand is never enough. I believe that drinking is not a bad thing for many folks. Ben Franklin said that beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. But I also know that drinking is a bad thing for me personally. My life is better without it.
Best,
W
Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi class,

Well another 24 hours. I am feeling good mentally and chemically except for my allergies which are kicking my butt but I will tough them out. I don't like to take Claritin, its too close to being "high"
I checked Lit out and I think I will order a copy online today.

Hoping everyone is having a pleasant sober week end.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Hello gang

I can relate to not having things in moderation if i like something. I could never open a bottle of wine and not finish it or have a bar of chocolate and not polish it off for example.

I am finding that going out for meals with others drinking their wine or whatever is their poision has not bothered me at all. Just sipping quietly at one or two drinks was never my thing anyway I wanted the bottle all of it, switching from wine with dinner to soda as not been difficult I didnt enjoy the wine with the meal I "enjoyed" the wine after I got home where I could drink as much as I wanted without having to try to control or limit it.

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend
Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

It was my birthday Saturday and it was the first time ever since I'm 17 that I didn't drink on my B/D. It was also one of my best birthday, except that today, I've been unbearably sad but I have always had the SUnday blues, I just drank to drown them before. A lot of people have been saying I didn't have that much of a problem but they weren't with me when I drank my bottle of wine alone every day the last 6 months before I stopped.

I think it's normal that we have sadness at 90 days. We're happy about our progress, yet, the more stable we are becoming, the more definitive the NO alcohol is, so I guess that it makes us a tad sad, it was after all, a good (false) friend for many years...

So yes, it's been over 100 days and yes, I'm sad about it too but I'm happier than sad.

It's funny Dee you mentioned PAWS because after my family dinner where I was having a hard time not drinking, I came home and drank, yes from the bottle, some molasses. I was having a huge sugar craving. I know it's because I was compensating for the craving of alcohol and it made me think I should read up on PAWS. I quite like this link too:
Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?

I did a absolutely no carbs diet for 8 weeks and it helped greatly but I still think I need the occasional sugar fix to help with the cravings so once a day, I allow myself 1 dark chocolate square or one candy, or one tablespoon of maple syrup. And it seems to be doing the trick. I gather that these sugar cravings will diminish with time...WIll they ?

Hope everyone is feeling fine. and good luck on your wild goose chase for those who have been hunting.

DP
Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Oups, I'm feeling super embarrassed Dee because I posted the same material but from a different link, I just hadn't read the Pharma post. Please discard my link. and sorry.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries DP - it's the same guy

D
Old 04-14-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by dorothyparker View Post
Hello everyone,

It was my birthday Saturday and it was the first time ever since I'm 17 that I didn't drink on my B/D. It was also one of my best birthday, except that today, I've been unbearably sad but I have always had the SUnday blues, I just drank to drown them before. A lot of people have been saying I didn't have that much of a problem but they weren't with me when I drank my bottle of wine alone every day the last 6 months before I stopped.

DP
Happy Birthday Dorothy and I can relate with you on the Sunday Blues (I don't have them anymore since I started working on Sundays) and the craving for sugar. I was never that
much into sweets but since I quit drinking, I NEED a bar of chocolate before going to bed LOL. I can also relate to you about people not knowing/realizing what a problem I had since I drank alcoholically alone. Most people don't know I am an alcoholic and that I am in recovery and if they were told, they d never believe it. I am the friend who will have one, two drinks at most at a party...if only they knew that once alone I would go through a six pack of 16oz 211 beer (not a classy drink either, more like skid row kinda beer LOL). Which reminds me of what Reeny posted earlier:"I'm the kind of person who - if he can't have too much of something - doesn't want any of it." That's sooo me LOL.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry I got distracted DP -happy birthday

D
Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Dorothy!! People didn't think I had a problem either because I did pretty much all of my drinking in secret at home.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Hi DP,

I didn't get from your comment on the site that it was your birthday. Have a happy, and many, many more. Now that we're sober, we have a decent shot at it.

Bill
Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Happy birthday, Dorothy! I'll think of you the next time I sneak a swig of maple syrup! (yes, I do it, too!).
Old 04-15-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Yes! When I like something, moderation is not an option. Similarly, if I dislike something, wild horses cannot get me to do it! I've been trying to live a temperate, well-balanced life all around, and it is very hard.
Totally agree, Gilmer.

Another thing Mary Karr wrote about was that on her 1st trip to AA, a woman told a story about how she used to hide her bottle of whiskey inside a turkey in the deep freezer so that her family couldn't find it. Once, the bottle got frosted into the turkey, so she tipped the turkey upside down and drank straight out of it! This made Mary decide her habit wasn't so bad after all (yep, guilty of this one myself - many times!)

I got a totally clean bill of health from the dr today after the bug I picked up from Vanuatu. So out comes the AV - you might as well keep drinking then! Agh!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lunetta View Post
Happy birthday Dorothy!! People didn't think I had a problem either because I did pretty much all of my drinking in secret at home.
Same from me - happy birthday, Dorothy.

Drinking alone at home was my game too. Makes you wonder how many people do it!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
she tipped the turkey upside down and drank straight out of it! This made Mary decide her habit wasn't so bad after all (yep, guilty of this one myself - many times!)
YOU TIP THE TURKEY, TOO? j/k.

Congrats on your clean bill of health!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes. I was a special one, first time sober, it was the same at Easter and I guess it will be the same for 1st time Christmas, New Year, etc.

Bill from the PAWS who writes Sunrise Detox says that if you don't go to AA, you don't have 9 out of 10 chances of making it...So you guys think I will have a relapse if I don,t go to AA ? I've been 3 times before in the past when I wasn't even considering to quit but knew I had a problem.

Maybe I should just check one out for alcoholics only now that I'm completely sober.

Have a great Monday !

DP
Old 04-15-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

It sure couldn't hurt!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Administrator

For what it's worth I didn't go to AA, but I agree with Gilmer too

AA's a great resource - it's saved the lives of many of my friends - but I've known people here to have success with a number of approaches these days.

The only statistic I ever worried about was wanting 100% not to drink again Dorothy

D