Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 7

Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Today is finally my 90 days! Felt like I've been waiting for it forever! Now I'll just count months. Good morning, everybody!
Congratulations Gilmer-----you deserve it !
Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Good morning class,

Congrats Gilmer and Reeny! Awesome!!!

Rosie, I agree staying in a pub all day is boring.

Like2hike, thanks, had a great bike ride. It was beautiful weather except for the wind on the way back. I needed the challenge though.
Ended up having a good night. Couldn't find the Boston owners at Dog Beach, but went with hubby and had a nice walk. Then Sushi with him and his son, then my new favorite, Golden Spoon frozen yogurt. Yumm!!! Highly recommend this place!
Picked up a 12 hour shift today. Never would have been able to do it with a hangover. Feeling grateful today to be able to work clear headed. Also feeling grateful about getting healthy. Down 14 pounds! Yay!!
Have a good Thursday everyone.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

you too Siesta ---Work isn't so bad when you don't have a hangover. Have a good day
Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Yeah Gilmer for 90!!!! Congratulations
Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

AARGH! All I'm doing is surfing the site! Nobody's even posting! It's 80 degrees outside and I'm sitting in the house! I'm not even working on a paper that's due this week! Somebody slap me!
Slap!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Siesta View Post
Well, breakfast was crummy. My friend took it as an opportunity to tell me he thinks I never had a drinking problem and just had marital issues that needed working out. ...Finally I just told him that he wasn't being helpful to me as a friend and politely excused myself. Really need the bike ride now to unwind.
Hope you had a nice ride. I've made some progress about not explaining or getting into arguments that can't really be won... anyway, it's only progress and thanks for the reminder that I don't have to justify each choice i've made (or any choice i've made, actually)
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Smile

Gilmer-----slap, slap, slap,
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

I think some of you people are deriving a little too much pleasure out of my pain!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Today is finally my 90 days! Felt like I've been waiting for it forever! Now I'll just count months. Good morning, everybody!
Congratulations Gilmer
Old 04-11-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Rosieblue View Post
Yay Gilmer well done
she called me a boring old @@@@ just cos I don't go out now lol. I laughed smiled and walked away ahhhhh.
Better a boring old A$$ than a dead old A$$ LOL
Old 04-11-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi class,

Thank you very much Dee for the link on PAWS. I am not sure if it's PAWS, menopause or depression but I have had waves of anxiety and depression going over me for no reason whatsoever for the past week. It s like one minute I am ok, the next I am enveloped in a veil of sadness or unknown fears and crying for no reason. Going to a meeting helps me get back in balance for a few hours but I am pretty sure this condition is chemical, not because of my "character defects."
This is right where I was at when I started my 3 week binge which led me to recovery but one thing I learned is that alcohol will make it even worst, not better. It was also good to read that if it s PAWS, it s my brain healing itself and any alcohol I put in my body will stop the healing process and bring me back to stage one.
Giving everyone a big hug and wishing you a good and sober day.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Hi class,

Thank you very much Dee for the link on PAWS. I am not sure if it's PAWS, menopause or depression but I have had waves of anxiety and depression going over me for no reason whatsoever for the past week. It s like one minute I am ok, the next I am enveloped in a veil of sadness or unknown fears and crying for no reason. Going to a meeting helps me get back in balance for a few hours but I am pretty sure this condition is chemical, not because of my "character defects."
This is right where I was at when I started my 3 week binge which led me to recovery but one thing I learned is that alcohol will make it even worst, not better. It was also good to read that if it s PAWS, it s my brain healing itself and any alcohol I put in my body will stop the healing process and bring me back to stage one.
Giving everyone a big hug and wishing you a good and sober day.
thank you Carlotta---apprecitated your comments a lot---an a big hug to you too !!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Actually I am going to be completely honest, yesterday was so bad, on my way to my meeting "Emotional Recovery" the AVs started their nonsense saying:"well if you are feeling depressed and back to square one, f.. AA they cannot do anything for you and you might as well drink" but that article from Dharma that Dee gave us popped in my head and I was able to debunk them by thinking:"well if it is PAWS, my brain is healing and last thing I need is to stop the healing process." Shut them right up! I made it to the meeting and felt better afterward.

So Dee, you saved my bacon yesterday and this is why I listed you again as my sponsor. Thanks a bunch, because that's probably the closest I came to drinking since I got sober.
Dee
AVs:

Ps: I have to be careful because Avs will get any amunition they can. For example, while I am a big fan of AA and work the steps I do not believe that my character defects are what makes me drink (I believe in doing step 4, becoming a better person and cleaning house is a good idea) so of course AVs seize it and tell me that my problem is chemical and AA is a waste of time. The beast wants me isolated and hates meetings.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Carlotta. That is a powerful testimony. i first learned of PAWS a couple weeks ago and was totally disappointed. Same as you, there was that moment of "why the **** am I doing this again?" and then logic kicked in with the answer. Ever notice how the AV whine is an emotional one and easily bested by logic?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Hi All -- Wow, lots of positive life events going on! Congratulations to all.

Day 75 here and also feeling a tad "blah." For the first time since quitting, I've been wondering about celebrating 90 days with "just one glass ...". I know this is very dangerous and I have no real desire to drink, but I'm perplexed how I could possible think that the reward for abstaining is precisely what got me to this Forum in the first place!? grrr ...
Old 04-11-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Liz! Stay strong! Don't entertain thoughts from the AV--don't get overly upset, just mentally brush them away like gnats.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

To clarify what i said, I didn't mean that we should underestimate the power of the AV--I was talking about handling temptations, random strong thoughts. A wise priest once told me to not struggle too much emotionally with wayward thoughts--just focus on God (or your goal, whatever it is) and shrug the thoughts off. They're only thoughts unless you take them in and entertain them. Get them out of your head right away and you're far less likely to act on them.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

The thing that gets me about the PAWS symptoms is the intensity of everything I'm feeling. There is some truth in the saying, "drown your sorrows"! Like lots of us, I'm just hanging in there anyway and listening to the wise words of Dee. Wouldn't be here without you as a role model, Dee, and without all my January friends. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Actually I am going to be completely honest, yesterday was so bad, on my way to my meeting "Emotional Recovery" the AVs started their nonsense saying:"well if you are feeling depressed and back to square one, f.. AA they cannot do anything for you and you might as well drink" but that article from Dharma that Dee gave us popped in my head and I was able to debunk them by thinking:"well if it is PAWS, my brain is healing and last thing I need is to stop the healing process." Shut them right up! I made it to the meeting and felt better afterward.
Thanks for sharing all of this. Even without the AV reality distortion field, trying to figure out what's right is tough. Often, reason and AV get together and they are pretty tight... as a team, they can be very convincing. I try to be aware, but when something sounds good and feels good at the same time... it's hard to entertain the possibility that it's still a bad idea.

Bad Idea Jeans - SNL
Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Thank you very much Dee for the link on PAWS.
I read the article on PAWS as well. I don't think I have the symptoms, at least not at any intensity that cripples my life, but maybe that's because I'm taking an anti-depressant. The AV does hound me at times, like I know it will tonight when I'm cooking burgers on the grill, but I've resisted so far. I feel lucky, because PAWS sounds awful, and I feel for those going through it.

Hope everyone has a great, sober weekend.

Best,
W