Notices

Class of March 2013 part 3

Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

to Branches---you talk about your complexion-- and oh my gosh the watery eyes are gone too. I used more eye drops than you can shake a stick at. I look so much healthier. and of course feeling better makes a world of difference. and I'm loosing that yellow complexion under my eyes. What a differnece. huh.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chuff1 View Post
Thats cool..I eat very well nowadays too, and really enjoy it, Im having a good day, managed to get a job that I went for, which means I can feed the cat! Got a headache again...thought they had gone, but sober.
Glad your well...you certainly read as if you are very together
Mick
Wow well done on the job Mick I'm sure the cat will be very happy with the news! Headaches really do suck, I certainly will not miss that throbbing, hazy head when you crack open your eyes after a night of drinking. Good riddance

Some Chicken wrapped in bacon and cheese in the oven, i'm starting to drule just thinking about it haha.

Hope you're all going well Marchers!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

i had meetings today
feel fuzzy
its been two days since last binge
i forget if i am still supposed to feel this incabable
of energy
im worried im sick
still from the weekend?
detoxing is not quick
get out of my system poison!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yestofreedom View Post
i had meetings today
feel fuzzy
its been two days since last binge
i forget if i am still supposed to feel this incabable
of energy
im worried im sick
still from the weekend?
detoxing is not quick
get out of my system poison!
I've certainly still felt pretty bad 2 or more days after a particularly big binge. It depends how much and for how long the binge lasted I think. Think of it as your body repairing itself. I know how horrible that feeling is though, the exhaustion and anxiety etc, its horrible.

Keep going I'm on Day 2 right here with ya. Well, technically I'm on day 4 free from alcohol, but 2 nights ago I took a sleeping pill in the hope of nodding off for abit, and i'd rather be free from both drugs!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrbeagle View Post

I've certainly still felt pretty bad 2 or more days after a particularly big binge. It depends how much and for how long the binge lasted I think. Think of it as your body repairing itself. I know how horrible that feeling is though, the exhaustion and anxiety etc, its horrible.

Keep going I'm on Day 2 right here with ya. Well, technically I'm on day 4 free from alcohol, but 2 nights ago I took a sleeping pill in the hope of nodding off for abit, and i'd rather be free from both drugs!
thank u
i feel out of it
it was a 3 day 24 hour a day binge
i thought i was physically ill
i think shame and guilt makes me more out of it
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
sober date 4th march 2013

hi yestofreedom
Know its not easy but try not to feel shame or guilt
Your sober now, you have every right to feel proud

Mick
Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome Northlander. I remember Snaggle Puss! But no it got it from something that was in Blackadder
Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

just got one of my VERY old albums out, (Yes album!)
Jethro Tull "Aqualung"
Playing Wond'ring Aloud

"And its only the giving that makes you what you are"

Lame but brought tears to my eyes

Mick
Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Great advice...

Dee, I seriously think this is some of the best advice I've ever received:

"My advice is don't argue.

Take 'drinking as a viable choice' off the table.
Make a commitment to not drinking.

Inner arguing only feeds the addictive voice. Starve it."

I woke up with this in mind and it's almost like a weight has been lifted. My parties are all coming up and that's great - I won't be drinking at them. That's it - end of story. This one thought freed me up from worrying about, arguing about, thinking about it.

Whether I want to drink at any given time has suddenly become irrelevant because I can't do it. How liberating is that???? There is no argument, it just can't ever happen. That's that - a new way of life.

And what a difference from yesterday. I have been happy all day. I had the best ride of my life and my trainer has noticed the change in confidence in me. It's actually been the last few weeks - coincidence that it coincides with not drinking? Don't think so. Horses feel all of our energy and react to it - my horse is reacting to the new calmer, more confident me. Glad I didn't ride yesterday b/c it would likely have been pretty bad.

Still staying vigilant because I know that AV can rear his horribly hideous head at any time but this time I'm ready - he can go "kick rocks" as TforTexas said.

Sassy, I'm working on my relaxation/coping skills as well because while I'm feeling great today I know there are more storms ahead. I need to prepare for those days. Running has always worked for me.

Marcher, I hope your AV is leaving you alone today. I can tell from your posts that the stuff he is telling you is garbage - there is nothing useless or stupid about you!

Forabetterlife, I hope today is going better for you too. It is shocking how quickly we forget how dreadful those hangovers are. It's like the minute they're gone they're forgotten. Strange because their all too real and horrible when we're going through them.

Wilting, congratulations on the job! And on not giving up!

So many others I wish I could respond to but I have a date with 2 little boys on the swingset Looking forward to checking in with everyone later this evening.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yestofreedom View Post
thank u
i feel out of it
it was a 3 day 24 hour a day binge
i thought i was physically ill
i think shame and guilt makes me more out of it
Same boat here, let's not go back there YTF! Our yo-yo's can stay on top
this time, no low, medium, or even high drops this time around! K?
We're there with you, one hour at a time . . . no more shame and guilt.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the new friends and returning ones...all days are day 1's if you think about it.

Well aren't those pain in the a** life challenges just popping up all over? Jobs, lack of jobs, bosses, spouses, bills...yuck..reminds me..must face the mailbox monster again...the list goes on. Just last night I got all super bent out of shape over I won't bore you with the details but basically friend not acting the way I think they should. Selfish sob. I do something so wonderful for you and you can't even blah blah blah. I laugh now but I was pretty p to the o'd last night. Oh well, so I felt angry, justified or not I'm entitled to my feelings. What I'm not entitled to is lashing out or dwelling on it. I didn't and it passed. So after reading all your posts, I ponder. Which is the gift you all give me. Drink or no drink, life is going to do what it will. I could have done absolutely everything "right" and life still may have dealt me a sh*t hand. I could have screwed up everything I touched and life could have given me what I didn't deserve. Somehow, I think I fall somewhere in the middle...it's a sliding scale but a balanced one. So amongst the highs and the lows I float on accepting it all cuz it's just all life but I'm LIVING it. That thought just made me cry. I'm living. Actually living..participating in my own life the great and the not so great.

I hope my style of sharing doesn't come across as anything more than what I intend it. I read everything you are all so kind to share with me, I sit and think about it, try to learn from it, and then see if I can apply it to my own life. That's all it is.

Hey, I don't think you're "Wilting" I think you're blooming..great post. The lesson I learned from you was at any point you could have said bleep it but you didn't and that just when it looked like all cab doors where slamming shut the very next one opened. I wonder how many cab rides I missed cuz I gave up to soon? I'm going to try to remember that next time I feel an overwhelming urge to drink. Just wait for the next cab

Keep the lessons coming everyone.
xoxo
shoes
Old 03-13-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blondsober View Post

Same boat here, let's not go back there YTF! Our yo-yo's can stay on top
this time, no low, medium, or even high drops this time around! K?
We're there with you, one hour at a time . . . no more shame and guilt.
thanks man!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

hi everyone day 4 for me today, got past day 3 yippee

how you all keeping?

been some posts in last 3 days

(my last post was stating i was back at day 1 trying again)

dave
Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi Sober Marchers!

Duffster, you sound awesomely strong :-). Keep it up!

360shoes, I very much enjoy your posts. They are down-to-earth and contain some really excellent thoughts.

I was chatting with an acquaintance at the gym this morning. Her husband has had some serious physical problems and is doing better, though no cure. I've often noticed that we all or certainly most of us, understandably, think that we are really unlucky when something bad happens to us and some of us may be envious of people we think have perfect lives. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we all have good times and bad, easy times and sometimes extremely difficult times. Whether it is alcohol, an accident, disease, being really, truly poor and hungry, and many other possibilities.

So yes, for those of us on this thread it's a bummer that we are addicted to alcohol. But there are many other bad things to have/get/catch, etc in this world. In some ways I feel very fortunate because there are options for all of us. Someone with terminal cancer doesn't have any options. I don't think of myself as Suzy Sunshine but I have found that staying positive as much as I can helps me to feel more positive, too.

More and more I'm realizing that my urges to drink are really other issues entirely and I got into the bad habit of self-medicating instead of finding healthier ways of dealing with stressful things. It's a long-standing habit that I'm working to change, one step at a time.

Happy sober day!

Sassy
Old 03-13-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
So amongst the highs and the lows I float on accepting it all cuz it's just all life but I'm LIVING it. That thought just made me cry. I'm living. Actually living..participating in my own life the great and the not so great.
Thanks for this, Shoes! This is exactly how I'm feeling right now. Life goes on - it's pretty much the same as before with the highs and the lows, the significant and the mundane. It is what it is, but now we're here to experience it fully without being numbed by alcohol or distracted by thoughts of it.

I love your style of sharing, by the way

Duffster, glad you're feeling so much better. I agree it's easier if we just accept that alcohol isn't an option and thus can stop struggling with ourselves....

Wilting and Mick, great to hear about your new jobs!!

Northlander, so glad depression your has lifted.

Yestofreedom, you're sounding a lot better - congrats on day 2. Same to you, Mr Beagle

Welcome to everyone who has joined the group

This evening while driving my daughter home from ballet I found myself obsessing over what type of fruit juice I would treat myself to when we got home. Wine didn't even enter my mind until I realised how crazily focused I was on juice. It was really weird.... I guess I have an obsessive personality, but better juice than wine!

Lots of love to all you Marchers - as Northlander put it: thank you for posting and thank you for reading xxx
Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Saskia---thank you for the good advice. we all do have a lot
to be thankful for. Alcoholism is very much in my family. and i have some
cousins who are not here to talk about it. like everyone says It's one day
at a time.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Wow!! What a busy morning/day/evening (wherever we all are!!) everyone seems to have been having! It's so great to see everyone getting on with life despite going through this huge change to our lifestyles, mind, body and souls. It is so touching to think how powerful we all are!!

Day 5 drawing to a close for me and I couldn't feel more proud of myself. I did have a momentary panic as my shift drew to an end because for the last few years it's been habit of mine to run out on my tea break at 4, buy some wine and the moment all my customers and staff are gone and I'm finally on my own in the store by about 5.45, start drinking. I can't believe that is what I used to do, every night. By the time I'd leave about 630 the bottle would be gone... I'd buy another bottle on the way home and drink that in my flat, on my own, smoking like a chimney (the cig's have stopped now too). What a sad sad existence. I used to get excited at the prospect of that first drink. I thought my evenings were fun!?!

Not any more!!!! I made sure I was all cashed up and ready to go this evening, left the shop at 5.45, caught the early train and put dinner on the moment I got in. My AV had started to whisper but I told it to naff off. I can honestly think of nothing I'd rather be doing than sitting here, with my green tea and apple juice, catching up with you all! I can't wait to get to bed, read my book (my love of reading has come flooding back to me), fall asleep and do it all over again tomorrow. I don't feel sad, lonely or depressed any more and it's only been 5 days. Still being careful... not going to put my quit in danger so the next few weeks I'm laying low, just getting through the day to day and maybe then I'll start to get some kind of social life back (minus the poison!)

To all the newcomers today - welcome and bravo!!! You are in the best place!!! To everyone plodding on - Congratulations. I bow down to each and every one of you.

COME ON THE MIGHTY MARCHERS!!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Saskia and duffster I so agree with your last posts, its the positive attitude that seems to be important, in the past when I have tried many many failed attempts I resented that I couldnt drink....poor Mick attitude prevailed, and every day seemed to go on for ever.
But to my utter amazement once you do decide in honesty to yourself that you are not going to drink, it no longer becomes an option. I know that I have to guard against over confidence in the future but feel I am getting stronger every day....and I truly am
beginning to really enjoy life for what it is, complete with ups and downs.
Saskia you are right there are many more people out there who do not have the choice to regain their lives back.
Mick
Old 03-13-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

360, I love your posts. Very inspiring.

Duffster, I'm going to adopt that same attitude, that drinking or not is no longer relevant because I can't do it. It really is just as simple as that.

Wow, Chuff1, Jethro Tull... That brings back memories, or lack of memories is more like it. I went to a Jethro Tull concert in 1996? 1997? and have absolutely no memory of it because I was so wasted. I was still in high school, and I went with my boyfriend, his mom, her boyfriend, and my best friend. I was so drunk that when I went to the bathroom, I couldn't remember where my seats were and ended up getting brought home by someone that I knew that worked at the concert pavilion (fortunately I had worked there before myself so I did know someone, otherwise I probably would have been arrested). Good times, huh?

YTF, I'm thinking of you.

Teardrop, glad to see you on day 4. Day 3 has often been an obstacle for me as well. (Day 1, hungover=no problem; Day 2, memory is still fresh=no problem; Day 3, no hangover and the memory has faded=big problem)

I was on the phone with my husband today when he checked the mail. I had 11 letters in the mailbox from attorneys that want to represent me for my DUI. So nice to have so many people thinking of me!

Speaking of mail, we also got a letter yesterday from the IRS. What fun! Our tax return from two years ago got audited and we owe them money. No surprise there... I have a feeling the IRS rarely audits the files of the people where the IRS owes them.

I recently saw The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. If you haven't seen it, it's a great movie. Very inspirational and quite funny. Anyway, the owner of the hotel has a line in the movie that seems to describe me right now:

'All I've had is a constant series of disasters interspersed with occasional catastrophe.'

I post this with a smile on my face, trust me. At this point, what else can I do? If I focus on the negative, I will only see the negative, I will only live in the negative. I'm ready to live on the other side of the coin.

Ha! I just looked down and the last thing at the bottom of my page says it all. Smilies are On!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

thanks Noexcuse