Notices

Class of February 2013 - part 5

Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
Venuscat, my heart goes out to you and your sister.

To Everyone who is tying to quit smoking: do it! My Mother died at 89, after quadruple bypass surgery, which was successful. 89!!! But, what she died from was her smoking. She quit at 70 but her lungs had been damaged to the point she couldn't breathe on her own. Her mind was still so sharp...

PreciousKitty, I was going to post on the previous thread. Are you doing better today?
Not feeling too much better. Thanks for asking Pamel. A bit blah is nothing compared to where i have been so many times in the past. I will hang on.

It has been helpful to read about paws - Thanks Odell. I had heard of it but never read it in much detail. THe part that is pulling me through today is where it says sometimes it takes two years to feel fully better.

Well I am going to take an after work nap now.I look forward to then getting up and reading all of your post.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Y'all!

I hope everyone is well! Day 20 here... Busy at work. I'm always nervous though... The weekend is nearing and I crash sort of with not much to do after a jam packed week. I have some small home projects this weekend... So, that should be worth a few laughs... I'm not a DIY sort of gal.

Venus- hugs to you my dear! I'm glad everything worked out with your client. I hope kitty gets to feeling better soon!!! And prayers for your family.

I'll catch up with rest of the thread when I get back from the meeting this evening.

SB

PS- this feels like the longest three weeks ever... BUT- I'm sober y'all!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi all, early morning here in UK, day 20! Feel proud of that, just feel a bit a bit apprehensive- ive actually got to start dealing with life now! Got promising job applications filled in yesterday and gonna send them today, seeing job advisor this afternoon so feel good that im well prepared and clear headed.

The plan was for me to start my own business this April, ive got all the gear i need to do this, but think il try and start it in a part time way alongside a regular stable job to limit the pressure. Got a vehicle but am petrified of finding out my insurance amount for it- after having a drink drive ban in 2000 and in 2006. Did a drivers awareness course after second ban but still fearing the worst. I know i need to bite the bullet.

Also worrying a lot about a bank loan thats still around my neck, only had a year left on it when i got made redundent. Been paying the minimum expected of me for last 6 months as ive been out of work, but its coming to a head on the 20th of this month and the nearer that date gets the more anxious i am, and thus worried i am about drinking.

The situation with my ex also needs sorting out, for me like someone suggested in the thread i started about it, i need access to my kids to be set in stone and more routined, as it is its her making the decisions and i cant make proper plans. She rang yesterday changing the plans for this weekend. She probably wants to go out again saturday night for St Patricks with her family.

Every one of these stresses has been caused one way or another by my use of alcohol in the past- its the drunk me that causes it and the sober me that gets to clear the mess up. The crazy part is the temptation and urge to drink is heightened by all these worries! Sorry for the long rant- its all been going around my head in bed for the last few hours and needed to get it all out.

Hope everyones ok
Old 03-14-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're really being tested Venus, but unlike me you're standing firm!! Be proud.

We humans are so good at "catastrophizing" aren't we - I'm so guilty of it. Whenever there's a potential problem we nearly always expect the worst possible outcome, when nearly always it doesn't eventuate. I'm really pleased for you that your work and client were understanding. People are generally pretty reasonable if we are honest with them.

Hope you're feeling better very soon.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
ub3

Good morning from London havent been here for a few days now..Still growing strong Im 4 weeks and 6 days clean and sober spend alot of my time at intherooms when im online go their meetings which have really been helping but i need to build a new structure in my life as i have now graduated from the day program i was attending...suddenly day time tv is the highlight of my day which aint cool
Old 03-14-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

have you thought of volunteering somewhere ub?

D
Old 03-14-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Every one of these stresses has been caused one way or another by my use of alcohol in the past- its the drunk me that causes it and the sober me that gets to clear the mess up. The crazy part is the temptation and urge to drink is heightened by all these worries! Sorry for the long rant- its all been going around my head in bed for the last few hours and needed to get it all out.

Hope everyones ok
Isn't that the truth. "its the drunk me that causes it and the sober me that gets to clear the mess up." When I think back, most of my problems were caused by my drinking. When I drank, I just didn't think. And it feels like some of the problems linger forever. One things for sure, we can only live in the moment. I hope you get that job you are putting in for, will be praying for you. It sounds as though you must jump through hoops for your EX. Just a thought, but perhaps you should look at it like your doing it for the children, instead of your EX. If possible, ask for the kids all day Sunday. That way you could do something positive with the children on St. Patricks Day. Of late my boss has been giving me more and more responsibilities and in all honesty, I have felt overwhelmed. The other day I closed the door to my office cause I couldn't think over the laughing and conversations in the hallway. My boss knocked on the door and asked if there is anything wrong. I said "No" just trying to get some work done. Then we had an all hands meeting, where we get to talk about what is going on in area of work. I started by saying "Hi I'm Tom and I'm an alcoholic." The whole office "roared laughing" some of them couldn't stop. I know I should be happy in today's economy that I have a job. But I feel that anything could trigger us back to drinking. Anyway don't take the problem back. And all the best in landing that job. "DAY 26" Stay Sober my friend and friends.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi dudes. Checking in, all is well. Second day off the smokes. Starting to appreciate living for the moment. Not waiting for the next thing to come or wishing the current one was gone. It used to be mostly waiting for my next drink, not that I realised it at the time - but I've been thinking the same way since I quit. But obviously the next drink was never going to come and I'm sober and happy now. Good times.

I've also always thought of myself as a bit hard up. But I used to spend a ridiculous amount of money on cigarettes and alcohol. So in theory, I should be sitting with a lot of disposable income in my pocket each month. Maybe that was part of the problem, at least it couldn't have helped.

I also think I've been behaving like a spoilt child for well, all of my adult life. If a child could eat sweets, as much as they like all day, would they do it? You bet! And that's what I've been doing with alcohol. Of course I've done it for so long, it's taken over my life and consumed me. A child has no responsibilities but I do and I've neglected them for too long. It might sound stupid, because it is. But it's never really occured to me until now. Such irresponsibleness! If that's even a word! lol

Well that's easyriders thoughts for the day! Keep clean cats!

P.S. Where's my quit smoking buds...it's awful quiet over there... ;-)
Old 03-14-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow 20 days today. Urges are becoming stronger...but I don't want to drink...thinking about past blackouts and wat I've done and feeling guilty about that. Not sure how to let go of that. I feel like a different person. My workouts have been stronger. The bloat is gone. My body changing... sleep is fantastic. Just the guilt and urges are getting to me but I'm just going to deal with today. Brother and sil invited me out for st patty's day....I'm going to tell them I can't make it and go for a long run and spend time w my gf and go to a metting...i hope everyone is well
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi all-just checking in.

It's been 29 days for me, with a lot of emotional ups and downs. I remember learning once that emotional growth ends when substance abuse begins. If this is true (and it feels that way at times), then I have a lot of time to make up for! Figuring out who I am again, what really interests me, dealing with adult problems as an adult, and forging a healthy/productive lifestyle while acknowledging my limited (but growing!) emotional capacity has been a huge struggle. I feel like I don't even know myself anymore. What I am learning, is that I can take this time and "create" the me I want to be, and I find that empowering, yet challenging. All part of the process I'm sure. A very odd gift, but a gift nonetheless.

Have a great Thursday group. Best to everyone.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I've just had a look through my posts from the last time I quit in May 2012. I was sober for 38 days. Then I "just had 4 cans" and "wasn't really that bothered"! But I came back...I posted later saying "I reverted back to type" I can't remember but I assume that means I got totally hammered. But I came back...As far as I can see my very last post was before I went to a wedding. I remember it well. I started off drinking coke. And when I brought it back to the table, someone said "no alcohol?"...eventually I gave in. I didn't get drunk. I even remember what I drank, and how much. 5 pints of stella. If remembering that from 9 months ago isn't an unhealthy relationship with a substance I don't know what is! But it started with those 4 cans. There's no such thing as one drink. Not for me. The first sip I took started the ball rolling and I was doomed. Since then I've sunken even lower, really low but I was nowhere near the bottom. And that's some scary ****. I don't want to go any lower, I won't. I can't drink alcohol. One drink isn't worth all the misery I've been through in the last year. Just thought I'd post this incase it's helpful to anyone! I couldn't remember what has caused me to make that drastically stupid mistake drink and again. but this answer was, nothing. Don't drink.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

SOBRIETY TIME LINE:

1 DAY = 24hrs or 1440min or 86400sec.
30 DAY = 720hrs or 43,200min or 2,592,000sec. -1 Month
45 DAY = 1080hrs or 64,800min or 3,880,000sec.
90 DAY = 2160hrs or 129,600min or 7,776,000sec. - 3 Months
100 DAY = 2400hrs or 144,000min or 8,640,000sec.
180 DAY = 4320hrs or 259,000min or 15,552,000sec. - 6 Months
200 DAY = 4800hrs or 288,000min or 17,280,000sec.
270 DAY = 6480hrs or 388,000min or 23,328,000sec. - 9 Months
300 DAY = 7200hrs or 432,000min or 25,920,000sec.
365 DAY = 8760hrs or 525,600min or 31,536,000sec. - 1 Year

Based on our "Time" in Sobriety. We will have to demonstrate strength and courage not to drink. Demonstrate a will to not only survive, but to live. It only takes one moment, one second in time to pick up. Don't give what you have worked so hard for back, not even one second of that time. We can do this one second, one minute, one hour and one day at a time. Short term goal is just for today, long term goal is 31,536,000 seconds. Set your sights high and on target. We can do this my friends. Let's do it together. Stay Sober...
Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

MSweeney, we are all here in our group to keep each other sober, and to have a place to return to if we relapse. Goodness knows, I don't know how many relapses i have had in the 10 years I have been on and off this site (and since 1974-my first AA meeting), but I am always glad to be able to come here...again. The people I met on this site in 2003 are still my friends! In fact one of them (the originator or one of them of this site, after years, relapsed and died).

So...keep coming back.

Easyrider, glad to see you too!

BTW, just a bit about me: I will be MIA this weekend because I am going to a weekend program because of my 2nd DUI. My lawyer advised me to do this as it will help my case. I HATE that I got that 2nd DUI (the first was 2 years ago) but VERY GLAD it happened. The next "yet" is no place I want to go, and thank goodness, no one was hurt, I was just pulled over.

So I am doing EVERYTHING suggested.

Ub2, Volunteering is a great way to get out of your head. I volunteer at the ASPCA, and try to help elderly people keep their dogs and cats in their homes. The sad stories at the no-kill ASPCA are the elderly animals who are there because their owners cannot take care of them anymore. Two hearts broken: a person's and an animal's.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Easy - Thanks for the reminder that it just takes one and it's not worth it. How quickly we forget.

Venus - How is Mum and Baby Kitty today? Any better?

MV - I totally get what your saying about finding yourself. I am feeling so much better, but the fact is, I am still lost. I made an appointment with a counslor today. I feel that it is really the right time for me to find a sponsor and get started on some work. Your not alone.

UB3 - Its great that you want more than just watching soaps everyday. Be patient with yourself. Some days it is a huge accomplishment just to keep yourself sober for the day, especially in the beginning. This is a very slow process, but things do change and we get a little bit better along the way. Just stay sober.

StarBaby & Fitness - It's great to see you doing so well.

1StepUp- Thats' why were here - Vent all you want.

Mr. Goose - Thanks for the sobriety Timeline

As for me - Today I am beginning a mission to get a sponsor, get some counsling, and find myself. I have spent long enough in limbo...

Have a great day everyone!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Hi dudes. Checking in, all is well. Second day off the smokes. Starting to appreciate living for the moment. Not waiting for the next thing to come or wishing the current one was gone. It used to be mostly waiting for my next drink, not that I realised it at the time - but I've been thinking the same way since I quit. But obviously the next drink was never going to come and I'm sober and happy now. Good times.

I've also always thought of myself as a bit hard up. But I used to spend a ridiculous amount of money on cigarettes and alcohol. So in theory, I should be sitting with a lot of disposable income in my pocket each month. Maybe that was part of the problem, at least it couldn't have helped.

I also think I've been behaving like a spoilt child for well, all of my adult life. If a child could eat sweets, as much as they like all day, would they do it? You bet! And that's what I've been doing with alcohol. Of course I've done it for so long, it's taken over my life and consumed me. A child has no responsibilities but I do and I've neglected them for too long. It might sound stupid, because it is. But it's never really occured to me until now. Such irresponsibleness! If that's even a word! lol

Well that's easyriders thoughts for the day! Keep clean cats!

P.S. Where's my quit smoking buds...it's awful quiet over there... ;-)
Hey Easyrider, I can relate to so much of what you wrote, especially being that spoiled and irresponsible adult. I have my work cut out for me and a lot of catching up to do on things I have been putting off, especially home organization!

Well everyone, confession time! I made it till 10:30 pm last night before lighting up. I have been taking evening classes to improve my computer skills. Though I must admit to being very annoyed by some people in class constantly interrupting the instructor during lecture, last night I wanted to scream at one lady to please just shut the "F" up and let him finish! Me, irritable? That would be a big understatement! I bought a pack on my way home, checked the March Madness thread (looking for some support?), waited, waited, waited....damn! I am not giving up so don't count me out just yet, just a bump in the road. My quest today is to explore ecigs as an alternate.

On the bright side, no alcohol cravings!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
BTW, just a bit about me: I will be MIA this weekend because I am going to a weekend program because of my 2nd DUI. My lawyer advised me to do this as it will help my case. I HATE that I got that 2nd DUI (the first was 2 years ago) but VERY GLAD it happened. The next "yet" is no place I want to go, and thank goodness, no one was hurt, I was just pulled over.

So I am doing EVERYTHING suggested.

Ub2, Volunteering is a great way to get out of your head. I volunteer at the ASPCA, and try to help elderly people keep their dogs and cats in their homes. The sad stories at the no-kill ASPCA are the elderly animals who are there because their owners cannot take care of them anymore. Two hearts broken: a person's and an animal's.
Pamel, good luck with your weekend program. Just take it day by day; this too shall pass.

I have really wanted to volunter at the ASPCA but I am afraid of myself. I would want to rescue so many of the animals and I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to resist bringing them home with me. It is heartbreaking to see so many sad faces there. You are a saint!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=venuscat;3860653]
And little Venus is still not well, and it looks like I am going to have to get her to the vet after all. So the money problems just took a turn for the worse.

Venuscat, Congratulations on 40 days!!!

Is your kitty prone to UTIs? There is much information regarding diet and urinary tract infections in cats available online. One of my favorite sites, earthclinic.com, has a section on home remedies for pets. I am concerned for my cat. I adopted her from a rescue organization (approx age 4-6 years) and she is extremely finicky. She won't eat people food (meats, all types) or any canned cat food. I have found only one dry food and two dry treats that she will eat, but she does seem to drink plenty of water. No UTIs yet, but the dry cat food seems to be the culprit for many felines. Check out the site and others as well, there may be something you can do from home that will help her.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd write a note to say I'm still here and reading everybody's posts. I'm pretty quiet so its in my nature not to post often. It's hard to keep up and I don't check in as often as I used too. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign.

It has been an emotional roller coaster lately. A lot of down times and my head is sooo foggy. Probably should get some blood work done to check. Glad this is an active community and I'm not the only one up and down. Take care all.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tick View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd write a note to say I'm still here and reading everybody's posts. I'm pretty quiet so its in my nature not to post often. It's hard to keep up and I don't check in as often as I used too. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign.

It has been an emotional roller coaster lately. A lot of down times and my head is sooo foggy. Probably should get some blood work done to check. Glad this is an active community and I'm not the only one up and down. Take care all.
Lol…I was thinking the same thing (getting blood work or CAT scan done regarding the brain fog). I have only recently begun having noticeable improvement in brain functioning; 37 days sober today. Hang in there, it does get better!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

My quick relapses messed me up for a few days, but it has taken me a full year to feel like I am going to be ok in that area. I was quite worried for a long time.