Old 03-11-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

thank u misspond for being here and telling us this
thank u
Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberForMySon View Post
Welcome! I have a young son too. Great reason, among many, to quit
My kids are 11 and 15 . . . very smart. They now consider me a liar and my daughter openly dislikes me. It is so hard to believe it got to this point; I hope doing the right thing the next 1000 instances in my life will overcome their pessimism, but it seems pretty impossible at this point . . . and I realized that they are my worst trigger - a couple of glasses to get through fixing dinner on Thursday ends up being 2-3 bottles of wine a day over the weekend . . . . and I just can't seem to avoid it no matter what I do, it least not conistently. : (
Old 03-11-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone, Obladi and all we will keep the world sane while you sleep.

Day 4. I am not a jewellery wearer as a rule, just earrings, but I've slipped on a ring to remind myself, a crutch perhaps but a harmless one. The band of headache pain is slightly less, the sugar craving is high, I'm hungry as hell -- and I've lost a pound!

I feel for all of you where the clocks have changed, it's hard enough when they go forward but with recovery as well -- a wee bit tougher. Go well my friends. A big welcome to our new friends!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Welcome, Misspond! It sounds like you have a good handle on what you need to do.

Blondsober, having been through raising one child with a number of difficulties going on, I won't pretend that your children's attitudes can be easily changed. It may make it harder for you to get and stay sober. However, you can do this and when you do and they see that you mean what you say, then over time your children are likely to forgive you. It will be really important for you to forgive yourself and understand that it could take some unknown amount of time for your children to come around. So my take on this would be to get sober for yourself. If you do this just for them and it takes them a long time to accept that you've changed, IMHO it could make it that much harder for you to stay sober. Just my 2 cents.

Sassy
Old 03-11-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Wow - a lot of posts and new Sober Marchers since Saturday.

Welcome to:

bravesjp
blondsober
misspond
Delilah1
SoberKat9
yestofreedom
sunriseshell (hangovers convinced me to stop too)
Mrbeagle (I now want to see Flight)
Wilting
rubycanoe
daisy1
FenixxRising
jambry123
Liza (thanks for posting on day one - again. We have all had those)
thewalkingdead

Whew! Hope I didn't miss anyone!

Congratulations to:

Marcher13, Branches, and Newday79 for the Sober Sunday (I know it came with unique challenges)
Duffster on 1 month!
Sassy on 16 days!
JimUK, bepresent and daisy1 on sober mother's day in the UK!
T4texas on your first week!
Mizzuno for getting a sponsor!
MicMac on 2 weeks!
thatgirl and noexcuse on 8 days
JimJim our founder and staying sober!
Dee for being our moderator!

A few comments:

Mick, yes, I get dizzy - hope this passes
Dave - you can do this. Really. We are rooting for you
Kiya - I am sure your dog LOVES the impromptu walks
IreLander - thanks for getting back on the sober horse - proud of you

360 NewShoes and Sassy - Like you, I blew a long quit, but not alcohol, cigarettes. I blew a 13 year smoking quit from overconfidence but I think the bigger problem was that I felt like a martyr - like I was denying myself something I really wanted. I am 41 days smoke free now and trying to remember all I am gaining - health, money, and self-confidence. I feel the same way about stopping drinking, though I won't lie, yesterday was NOT easy.

Nagel - I laughed in recognition - I drank to make withdrawal easier. Yikes.

Chanty, I don't know how you handled getting up at 5 for your son when you were hungover either! How did you do it? Ain't it great not to be hungover?

needmysavior - my sweats are over too and it feels great.

SFMS - I am so glad you are feeling less anxious - the longer I am sober, the less anxious I become. The alcohol causes my anxiety, it doesn't relieve it.

Lifeplant - I hope you consider AA, at least to check it out. I've been to 3 meetings. The first was a revelation, the second was a great support, and the third let me a bit confused. But still sober.

Kelle96 - thanks for posting and not going on a binge!

MeSoSober - I LOVE the BOSS too - seen Springsteen in concert many times, and oddly enough, always sober.

Me

If I failed to mention you, I apologize, it was not intentional. With the group growing (which is WONDERFUL) it may happen. Welcome everyone!

Back in the Far North after my business trip. Sober 11 days and still trying to shake off this depression that has hit. Around day 3 I felt so happy, and now I am struggling a bit with urges and the AV. Reading everyone's posts has been incredibly helpful and reminds me why it is so important to protect my sobriety. Please keep posting - the good, the bad, the ugly, the beautiful. It reminds me we are all in this together.

BIG LOVE TO MY SOBER MARCHERS!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Misspond and blondsober, we are in this together, I think we are together in saying our kids are our biggest motivators. I have 4 kids, 4,7,8,11. They deserve a sober mum. I can tell you, I am already, after just 9 days, I much better mum. I am so much more patient with them, I'm not snapping at them for no reason, I am enjoying all the extra time I seem to have with them. They are awesome, love them to bits.
You can do this too! First few days are really tough, but stick it out it does get easier :0) Time heals soberblond, I'm sure if you show your daughter that you can do this, you will get her respect back, and even though it seems she dislikes you, I am sure deep down she loves you to bits.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

I woke up at 7:30 this morning, feeling good! What?! No panicking in sight (I have anxiety disorders, and myriad other mental issues that are not helped by drinking)!

Day three here I come!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

I forgot to add that 7:30 is what I would have termed "obscenely early" (even though I have to get up early on days when I have classes, but I haven't had those for a few weeks :/)
Old 03-11-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Today has been rough for me. I worked all day, but mostly some disappointment (which I should be used to) from an ex I am still in love with got me having some major cravings. I wanted to drink more after work today than I have since probably day 2. It was just that old f** it attitude. And the emptiness came back, like something is missing...my wine. Things seemed flat and I wanted to just escape. I kind of just want the night over with. I am getting through it, but I hate this feeling. Its amazing how I can go from feeling so great and on top of the world to absolutely irritated and tired of not drinking.

I just keep thinking of this thread and how I don't want to ..once again...slink out of the March group with my tail between my legs and try it again in April. I keep thinking of the amazing sleep I have been having and how well rested I feel when I wake up. Maybe I'm just old (42) but those things mean alot.

Sorry for being so self centered right now. Its just one of those days where it doesn't seem worth it - even though I KNOW it is. I wish I could just go to bed
Old 03-11-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to all the newcomers

Sorry things are a little rough for some of us right now - but it's par for the course...life won't stop throwing challenges at us...but we learn to ride out the rough seas, sober...and things can and do get better

stick with it guys

D
Old 03-11-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
Marcher13 - Love hearing about your awesome victory. If you don't mind sharing, what do you think helped the most? I am a server/bartender and pouring drinks for others clearly can be tough. What did you do to manage?
Percussion I had two things that kind of prepared me for it. I use to be a bartender too (40 years ago!) as my part-time job and our old time boss would have sacked us if anyone had a sip of anything, it was completely not on.

Fast forward to now, my husband and I have a micro business which very occasionally involves social gatherings in our place of business and others'. Some years ago when I managed to down about three glasses in half an hour I had a loud argument with a client's husband which shook me up -- I knew my drinking had made me initiate it. I made it a rule then not to drink at these events. Fast forward to Sunday I told myself it's the same thing, they can drink you can't.

I hope things go well with you Percussion.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi I'm new to the March class. This is my 3rd attempt to quit drinking. Notice my name.. But it's a new day, this time is a little different, it has taken me a long while to admit that yes I am an alcoholic. I wasn't sure if I was, but I am, I am powerless over alcohol. Bummer, not fair, but oh well. Now I know and now I can start working on my recovery.,, 😊
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Today has been rough for me. I worked all day, but mostly some disappointment (which I should be used to) from an ex I am still in love with got me having some major cravings. I wanted to drink more after work today than I have since probably day 2. It was just that old f** it attitude. And the emptiness came back, like something is missing...my wine. Things seemed flat and I wanted to just escape. I kind of just want the night over with. I am getting through it, but I hate this feeling. Its amazing how I can go from feeling so great and on top of the world to absolutely irritated and tired of not drinking.

I just keep thinking of this thread and how I don't want to ..once again...slink out of the March group with my tail between my legs and try it again in April. I keep thinking of the amazing sleep I have been having and how well rested I feel when I wake up. Maybe I'm just old (42) but those things mean alot.

Sorry for being so self centered right now. Its just one of those days where it doesn't seem worth it - even though I KNOW it is. I wish I could just go to bed
OMG, your post made my day: this is why this is so powerful - we can be reminded of how human we all are. I had a low weekend and am fighting my way back to the surface, and this post is so touching and close to me I would cry if I wasn't at work. And at 54 (later this week) I guess you would have to call me a "grown man." Thank you!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Is it par for the course that AV starts talking really smoothly after a few days? I find it's a constant drone, "there is really nothing wrong with you, so you had too many a few times, you can control it, go on have one." I'm telling him to shut up.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was a few weeks for me Marcher but I think it's common.

Simply don't engage - don't feed it...it'll fade

D
Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

One last quick post for today and then I won't be able to post until tomorrow evening (Eastern US time).

Northlander, you are positively awesome! Keeping track of a group this large is quite a feat and I'm sure we all appreciate it! I was depressed for awhile. Yesterday was a wee bit better and today I've decided that I will live. No significant cravings, yea!

Forabetterlife, hang in there and this too shall pass. I think we all get largely self-centered in the early, very tough days. You can get past this!

Welcome oct11! I hope this third time will be the charm!

Marcher, the AV can get quite noisy and can sing quite a siren song! Personally, I find it works best to shut the beast out of my mind. Today the beast has finally been really quiet and it's an awesome feeling :-)

(((hugs)))
Sassy
Old 03-11-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh, so many post. I managed to read them all but it a While. I don't care. I like that we keep growing and are so active.

I would love to address everyone but have to run to an AA meeting.

I would like to say hi to Jambry, Misspond, Coffeetogo, Yestofreedom, WalkingDead, and Blondesober.

To Kelle, Liza, Bravesjp, please know I have been where you are time and time again. Kudos to you for standing back up and falling in with our formation once again. Remember, left foot, right foot, left foot........

Onward Marchers. I will have been sober one week tonight at midnight!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
New and learning

Welcome oct11
Welcome too all March class members!
Great advice Marcher....thanks. I'm going to use that one. I used to not drink in my president of PTO group, that I had to run stuff, and be responsible. Of course I'd go home and drink a bottle, but I held it in check in the group. So......now I must do that too, but no home drinking.

I too have been down today, and the past few days. Forabetterlife.....good on you as the Aussies say, for realizing why you wanted to drink and getting thru it, sober! I too want the night to be done so I can go to bed. So much easier. I am super tired and made myself not nap......so I can get myself on track with normal operating hours. I seem to be keeping my 1 am bedtime (used to be pass out time I think) and sleeping in. I got up at 3:30 with my 16 yo daughter as she prepared to leave on a trip to the airport. Her school choir is at Disney World this week. Anyway, being up for 45 minutes and the time change and the late bedtime........I slept until 10:30! Ugh! At least I've only been tired and not hungover and tired.

Keep at it everyone
Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blondsober View Post
The January folks are wonderful and supportive and helped me a lot . . . but I think I need a reset so I am hoping to join y'all.
We Januarians wish you all the very best! Good luck and congratulations on day 1 ... we've all been there!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Small miracles. Day 3. Feeling a bit sorry for myself. The phone rings and it's my former sister in law. Haven't talked to her in months. She's a wonderful woman. Full of goodness and love and faith. She said she will be dragging me out of the house to do good things and fun things. This, out of nowhere. She doesn't even know what's going in with me but she will. When we are together I will tell her my binging secret and that it's over. She was sent to me at the right time.