Administrator

congratulations Venus and Clarity

D
Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Sober birthday 2/7/13

Originally Posted by Rosie199 View Post
Hi friends, thanks for all the updates!

Melissa/1Stepup- thanks for the shares. I guess part of the process is realizing where we've allowed drinking to impact our lives. Reminds me of a lot of my 'moments' as well. Le sigh.

Day 8 & I can't believe I've made it this far! Twice over the weekend I was tempted to drink but thankfully didn't. Went to Disneyland w some friends (I live in la). My husband was getting a giant turkey leg & while he was in line asked if I wanted anything. I made the motion for a drink. He looked at the menu and made the 'they don't have beer at this booth' face. I shrugged and went the rest of the day not thinking of it (although he & my friends were drinking). This morning in bed I told him how it was a blessing they didn't have booze & his response was, "well maybe they did but I wanted to help you." Ah, he's a saint & knows me so well.

Before this journey I offered to host a product launch party at my house. Today the head of the product said he might take me up on that offer this weekend. I'm a smidge worried but also kind of excited that I can finally be a great hostess without being sloppy drunk as I'm know I normally was. Eeks, thankfully I have my husband and I've too used the "gave it up for lent" excuse.

Hugs,
Rosie
I live in the land of LAAAAA too. If you need an ear or shoulder, let me know. I also do parties :P
Old 03-04-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
am so sorry about Lacey, and so very proud of you. Honoring her like this is very powerful, and I agree with Kitty, she is your angel now, watching over you.
She speaks to me through rainbows and I heard "somewhere over the rainbow" in the radio earlier and then later saw a rainbow in my garden hose water so I know she is with me today.

Thank you to everyone who shared their driving story as well, it is so hard to share these shameful stories but I think it is important if it stop just one person from getting behind the wheel. Much love to all <3
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosie199 View Post
Hi all, just wrapping day 7 here but not without some serious temptations.

I've noticed I've had a headache all weekend despite drinking lots of water. Leaves me with two thoughts, 1) is this some sort of withdrawal symptom and 2) wonder how many times I had just a regular headache & blamed it on a hangover! Oh, that damn AV! Lol, hope you're all staying strong!
How interesting Rosie. I'm just starting day 8 and have taken some headache tabs. Like you, I could blame the wine for the morning headache, but it's still there! I seem to have some degree of headache every day. Nothing too serious, but always there. It's almost like my body has got so used to having the brain hammered that it's forgotten how to wake up clear-headed. Actually that sounds like withdrawal!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melissa6381 View Post
FF was talking about driving earlier and I want to get something out there.

When I was 21 I was driving drunk all the time and finally got a DUI which I was actually happy about because they took my license and I had been scaring myself.

I didn't drink and drive for many many years after that.

Three years ago my friend Lacey was driving with her fiancee to see her parents for Christmas. A drunk woman got on the highway going the wrong way and killed her instantly. Her fiancée lived, but she is gone. She was 30 years old and one of the most beautiful souls I had ever know. We were devastated and all miss her every day.

But here comes my confession: about a year ago I got a new job and my new friends went to bars that weren't taxi friendly for me- so I stated driving home- wasted. I cannot believe I was doing that- such appallingly bad behavior especially with everything that happened with Lacey. I am so ashamed of what I was doing but hope it will help others to realize how powerfully controlling this drug can be in making bad choices for you.

I am not only getting sober for myself but also in the memory of Lacey. Thanks for listening.
Melissa, I am so sorry to hear about your friend Lacey. What a tragedy. And how awesome that you are also doing this for her.
If we are all honest I think the majority will have similar confessions as yours. How I and my friends are alive today defies all odds. I am ashamed to say that quite often the only difference between the designated driver and the rest of the drunken rabble on a night out was that it was his turn to run the gauntled. Thank God we never hurt or killed anyone in those stupid and irresponsible days.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fitness1234 View Post
Awww thank you...I would def go to the gym with you! Meeting is across the street from me In a church....how do I find where the meeting is
Did you find it? When I go to churches- I usually try to follow someone... Creepy but effective.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hey All! Winding down Day 11 here. I went from work to meet with a woman I sort of consider to be an angel to me right now. This morning was rough and she texted and invited me to grab dinner & head with her to a meeting. I was a little nervous because it was a meeting that was sort of out of my element... At a church instead of the center where I usually attend. But she was leading... And I tagged along. The topic was honesty and the group was small but full of old timers. I cried again but not a full on sob- improvement!!!! The old timers made me laugh and they were incredibly sweet to me.

I consider today to be a success despite the struggles... It was one more sober day!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Morning all my sober buddies. Day 8 for me feeling tired, got up early so i'm pleased i'm actually going to make my 4th appointment at the doctors. 4th time lucky
I've started paying my debts off too feels good., and got a rota now so started some of my cleaning. Kinda feels boring living a 'normal' life, but at the same time i'm started to feel different feelings than one i've have before- warmth and joy. Happy Tuesday everyone, stick with the struggle. Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Horrible nightmare last night. Can't remember the details other than I couldn't wake up. Every time I found myself sitting up in bed I was still in the nightmare, happened several times and it was very distressing. I think it might have been my unconscious mind reminding me of the living hell I was in before I was sober. Waking up just to drink more and continue the nightmare.

Aside from that, I've been bouncing off the walls full of energy, with nothing to do. I might have to start running and get the endorphins flowing.

I've developed quite a coca cola habit. Which isn't good, so I'm going to ween myself off that stuff. 4 cans a day is about 17000 calories a month! (Not quite as many as all the alcohol I was drinking, but still not good.

At the same time however, I made a promise not to put my brain under too much stress trying to do to much at once. But my body is reacting, wanting to be healthier. I still have my smokefree day to work towards. I'm half excited, half apprehensive about this! Ah well, small changes. Keep up the good work soberites!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Day 17 comes to and end and I am so not ok. I am hanging on by my fingernails. I posted about it in the alcoholism forum.

Melissa - I saw a rainbow today too, in the most unexpected place and just for a moment. I thought it was a sign from my higher power but all my praying is not giving me any relief so maybe not.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Day 17 comes to and end and I am so not ok. I am hanging on by my fingernails.
Hang in there tiger......

we love you

Venus xx
Old 03-05-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Horrible nightmare last night. Can't remember the details other than I couldn't wake up. Every time I found myself sitting up in bed I was still in the nightmare, happened several times and it was very distressing. I think it might have been my unconscious mind reminding me of the living hell I was in before I was sober. Waking up just to drink more and continue the nightmare.
I had nightmares every night while I was drinking, and I have been enjoying nightmare-free sleep for a while....and then last night, had one of those horrible ones where you wake up sweating and shaking.

So I think I understand how you feel...it was distressing for me too.

I'm really sorry you had to go through that...our subconscious can be pretty nasty sometimes, huh?

wishing you sweet peaceful dreams tonight Easy....

Love Venus xx
Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewLifeForMeeee View Post
Morning all my sober buddies. Day 8 for me feeling tired, got up early so i'm pleased i'm actually going to make my 4th appointment at the doctors. 4th time lucky
I've started paying my debts off too feels good., and got a rota now so started some of my cleaning. Kinda feels boring living a 'normal' life, but at the same time i'm started to feel different feelings than one i've have before- warmth and joy. Happy Tuesday everyone, stick with the struggle. Thanks for all your help.
NewLifeForMeeee,

Congrats on day 8. Today is my day 8 too. I have found that my "normal" life it is kinda boring too but I was thinking that its because I have more free time since I'm not sitting around drinking. I took my dog for a long walk last night which was normally a time I would be curled up in front of the TV with a bottle of wine. Getting used to and making good use of my now free time is challenging but it's worth being SOBER!! Happy Tuesday to u too!!

~SistahSober
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Messed up last night. Day 1 again. Had a glass of wine. I'm definitely putting it down to being so busy and not being able to come on here enough. Tried to do to much too soon I guess. Nearly a week sober and I was a work machine, never got so much studying done.

I obviously need to slow down and take it easy. I don't feel too bad this morning because I was able to see sense and didn't drink any more, but spent all night struggling to sleep because of it. This means so much to me, I WILL do this. I'm going to check in on here from now on at least twice a day from now on, my absence was my downfall.

So proud of you all as it seems you're all doing so well! Hope I haven't put too much of a downer on things and you will all let me stay in the class. I CAN DO THISSSSSSS!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrbeagle View Post
Messed up last night. Day 1 again. Had a glass of wine. I'm definitely putting it down to being so busy and not being able to come on here enough. Tried to do to much too soon I guess. Nearly a week sober and I was a work machine, never got so much studying done.

I obviously need to slow down and take it easy. I don't feel too bad this morning because I was able to see sense and didn't drink any more, but spent all night struggling to sleep because of it. This means so much to me, I WILL do this. I'm going to check in on here from now on at least twice a day from now on, my absence was my downfall.

So proud of you all as it seems you're all doing so well! Hope I haven't put too much of a downer on things and you will all let me stay in the class. I CAN DO THISSSSSSS!
Mrbeagle,

Don't be hard on yourself...at least it's day 1 again and you are willing to start over and not just keep drinking. You can do this! I personally think that the better we start to feel in the beginning the more we think that just one drink will be fine. We can't believe the hype! We can do this!!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SistahSober View Post
Mrbeagle,

Don't be hard on yourself...at least it's day 1 again and you are willing to start over and not just keep drinking. You can do this! I personally think that the better we start to feel in the beginning the more we think that just one drink will be fine. We can't believe the hype! We can do this!!
Thank you SistahSober, loving the new name btw Yeah i'm trying to forgive myself. It could have easily ended in a 3 day binge disaster. I was lucky. Back on the wagon.

Love to you all
Old 03-05-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Day 17 here. Feeling good.

Hang in there Tiger. If this was easy there would be know need for this forum. We are praying for you.

MrBeagle
Don't be discouraged. I bet everyone here has stumbled.

Have a great day every one
Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi all! Just read your post Mrbeagle, dont be too hard on yourself, you did well to stop at the one glass of wine, your right could have been a lot worse. Think this is a learning curve for us all. Glad youre back on board! Take care.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Another glorious morning in Soberland.

I, too, have shameful drunk driving stories. Most of my drunk driving was short trips to the nearest place booze was sold and back home. No excuse for that, but it's not like I would routinely go joy-riding or bar hopping while drunk. I drank at home. I would try to buy enough alcohol for an evening, but as my toleration grew I would find myself running out. So, in the car I would go, about a mile to the store.

One time I did 'wake up' from a blackout driving on the interstate highway, though. Near as I can recall I had been driving for about 90 minutes. I had peed my pants. I did not know where I was or even which direction I was going. I could have killed people and not have any recollection of it.

Shamefully, I drank and drove after that. It is a dirty, insipid addiction.

We can beat it. Let's do this!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrbeagle View Post

Hey MrB, on the positive side you have had only one glass of wine in 8 days. When is the last time you could have said that? I can so relate to the over busy, and over enthusiasm issue. I have no idea how I've juggled everything and still managed not to give in.

Btw, I know that if I broke, it wouldn't have stopped at one glass - well done!

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Maybe think of it as a false start! On your marks...