Notices

Class of March 2013

Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Thanks saskia.

Still sitting here on guard to make sure no one comes into the warehouse. Stillwaiting on the garage door guy to show up so I can at least get it secured. Not sure why but I am starting to panic a bit. Even though I know there is nothing I can do except wait. This is my 2nd month on the job.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hi Marchers, glad to hear people are doing well. Thank you for sharing - reading everyone's posts is really helping me to not feel alone.

Soberformyson, your day of library, pizza and playground sounds fun!

Saskia, well done on going to the gym and then grocery store without getting wine! Supermarkets are a place of major temptation for me too - where I live they all seem to have this permanent meal deal where you can get a main meal, side dish, dessert and bottle of wine for £10; it's all pretty yummy and a really good bargain. I snuck a look at today's option and it was a bottle of pink prosecco of some sort - I just quickly looked away and didn't even check out the food options!

Speaking of which, I have been treating myself to some candy most days, and couldn't help noticing the Wine Gums - pretty sure they don't taste anything like wine but figured I'd better steer clear just in case. Seriously, it seems like wine and wine-related items are everywhere!!! Arrgh!

Last night I watched 'Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind' and was struck by some similarities between the film and what we go through when we 'break up' with alcohol. I think if I could have the brain-erasing procedure done, I would go for it! Unfortunately it's not that easy, but going through this process with all of you makes it that bit easier.

My daughter's in bed now and I feel pretty sleepy myself even though it's only 7.30pm - going to tuck myself in with a book soon. Day 6 done!

Have a good day / evening everyone :o)
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Saskia Thanks for the re-cap! Helped me get caught up! Glad to see everyone doing well!

SFMS, (((HUG)))! from one Septemberite 2012 to another! (You, too, JimUK, get in here!). Sounds like you and your son are having a lovely day!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I am not having any physical withdrawal symptoms, just some anxiety...I think in the past I've always bargained with myself. Well, I'll quit drinking during the week or I'll only have 1 glass (never happens). I'm feeling my brain starting to think well maybe on the weekends....
Does this happen to anyone else?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Kelle, I'm right there with you! Already starting to think, "I've done so well, a little at the weekends seems totally reasonable." Not sure what to do about this... good to hear I'm not the only one.

Glad to hear you're not having any physical withdrawal at least! Mine have been very mild this time as I hadn't been drinking every day or as much as I had at some points in the past...
Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hi guys, lots of posts to catch up on this morning, you have been busy while I have been sleeping!
It sounds like everyone is hanging in there, way to go Marchies!!
Welcome newbies, you are amongst friends here :0)
Sassy, you are so lovely, you are like the matriarch of our group, your words encourage us all. You do so well to remember everyone.
I was so so tempted last night, hubby was out for the night (one of my cues to drink), kids were fighting and it was hot, 36C. But happy to report, I fought through the cravings, it was really tough, but I did it. It helps so much to be part of this group, one of my biggest motivators last night was that I didn't want to come back here and say I failed again.
I have woken on with a terrible headache though, least its a hangover free headache. On to day 4..
I hope today is another good day for all of you.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Wow, tons of posts. I've been trying to keep track on and off today. Hugs to you too Bumble, 2 weeks is great! I'm on day 7 tomorrow along with alot of others, congratulation to everyone no matter what day you are on, just being here and trying is awesome.

Welcome to all you new sober marchers, remember, one day at a time.

Good night all x
Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Had a great day. Won't deny I worried and felt the fear, but I found some good books at the library and managed to have fun with my son. Now for a peaceful evening....
Old 03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

i need to join this class, i joined feb class with no avail, i cant seem to stay stopped, now im getting terrible pains when i drink, on top of my criminal record all drink/drug related

so march 13 be the month for me

one day at a time
Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I did it! I went to my first AA meeting and it was AWESOME. SOOO glad that I did it. The people were lovely, welcoming, and implored me to keep coming back, which I will. I've always been skeptical about AA but now having attended a meeting I can see how it might work for me. I LOVED it.

I will go back and catch up on everyone's posts but just had to post this quickly on the adrenaline high (Oh God, I sound like an addict there, lol!).
Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome Brit

D
Old 03-06-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bepresent View Post
Hi Marchers, glad to hear people are doing well. Thank you for sharing - reading everyone's posts is really helping me to not feel alone.

Soberformyson, your day of library, pizza and playground sounds fun!

Saskia, well done on going to the gym and then grocery store without getting wine! Supermarkets are a place of major temptation for me too - where I live they all seem to have this permanent meal deal where you can get a main meal, side dish, dessert and bottle of wine for £10; it's all pretty yummy and a really good bargain. I snuck a look at today's option and it was a bottle of pink prosecco of some sort - I just quickly looked away and didn't even check out the food options!

Speaking of which, I have been treating myself to some candy most days, and couldn't help noticing the Wine Gums - pretty sure they don't taste anything like wine but figured I'd better steer clear just in case. Seriously, it seems like wine and wine-related items are everywhere!!! Arrgh!

Last night I watched 'Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind' and was struck by some similarities between the film and what we go through when we 'break up' with alcohol. I think if I could have the brain-erasing procedure done, I would go for it! Unfortunately it's not that easy, but going through this process with all of you makes it that bit easier.

My daughter's in bed now and I feel pretty sleepy myself even though it's only 7.30pm - going to tuck myself in with a book soon. Day 6 done!

Have a good day / evening everyone :o)
bepresent, your post struck me, and I noticed that you are an American living in the UK....I'm the opposite, a UK-er (lol) living in America. Those kind of meal deals in British supermarkets are terrible, and a MASSIVE temptation to drink. The booze culture in Britain is awful. I'm amazed more Brits don't end up alkies, to be honest.

I don't know what part of the States you are from, obviously...the State I am in (without revealing too many details), you cannot buy booze except for beer (under 5%, I think) in the supermarket.....you have to go to the liquor store for anything stronger. Well.....when I first moved here, as a British alkie used to being able to just drop into Sainsbury's or Morrison's or ASDA (big British supermarkets) and pick up a bottle of wine, I was OUTRAGED that I couldn't do that anymore! WHY didn't Albertson's or WALMART sell wine....WHYYYY? hehe! Not that it was THAT much more hassle to go to the liquor store...but I don't know, it attracts more attention to your drinking when you have to go to a special store and not just the regular supermarket.....I know it alerted my husband much more to my problem than he had been back in the UK.

You Americans will hate me for this, but the whole supermarket liquor situation, as well as the licensing laws on a Sunday night (booze stores closing at 8pm! At home they are open until 10pm like any other night!), made me rage once "why am I living in this uncivilised country, where you cannot buy drink on a Sunday night at 9pm?". Lol! How ridiculous I am seeing that is now. In fact the part of the States I am in is the MORE civilised place for having those, sensible, rules in place. I also realise that all the States have different laws too, and that you can buy booze in supermarkets in other States (I noticed THAT when I went to California last year). Heck, I used to worry at the prospect of a supposed trip to Salt Lake City, Utah, as I'd read how hard it was to buy drink there due to the Mormon culture. I used to think, "oh man, I'll have to be prepared and take booze with me." That really is total insanity.

Britain has a dreadful drinking culture, which they would do well to address.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Welcome 1of7 and Teardrop - happy to have you in the March 13 class!

Kelle - weekends are my downfall. Didn't drink during the work week, my spouse would make a cocktail to celebrate Friday, and the binge would begin....

Since I am out of town on business, I am sneaking out to go to my first ever AA meeting. Feel like I'm sneaking out to have an affair. We shall see how it goes....

Thanks for the kind words, Sassy, and I will consider being honest with my Doc.

IreLander, hope the solution worked out for you.

Thanks to all the Sober Marchers for posting today - love reading your posts, they keep me motivated.

See you later....
Old 03-06-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi everyone again,

just wanted to say I'm sorry for not responding to everyone. I am knackered (as we say in the UK) after the effort of going to my first AA meeting. The adrenaline rush has worn off and I'm exhausted.

However, I am still here and have read all of your posts, and I want you all to know that I wish you well.

Thanks for being there for me, too.

((hugs)), Brit.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

I want to graduate from this class with honors!

This is my first post, and I think I can finally say truthfully that I both need AND want to quit and I'm looking forward to adding this forum to my toolbox.

My tale of woe is TWO good jobs lost in the span of a little over a year for drinking on the job. Ouch. And then there's the seven-year relationship that I have probably destroyed. It's hard to type that and accept the reality of it. But maybe that's something I should written down or typed out years ago. That's not the person my wonderful and responsible parents raised me to be. Just BEYOND reckless. Never thought I'd find myself in the position I'm in right now. It's like a nightmare. My previous "efforts," if you could call them that, to quit include a group therapy and maybe eight or so AA meetings.

But I still answered the siren song of the alcohol even when I was in "treatment." Not much of an effort on my part in retrospect, although it was difficult for me to even do that by myself. It's vodka benders for me--I don't drink or even have a desire to drink on a daily basis.

I have to do this. But I am lucky in that I do have a good support network of family and friends who care for me. And how have I repaid them? With the same BS year after year. It's long past time for it to stop.

So greetings to all and I'm looking forward to reading and posting here. You all seem like a great and supportive group!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome MeSo

D
Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee--I feel like we're all in this together now!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Administrator

absolutely

D
Old 03-06-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Welcome to all of the new members! I am new myself and I am blown away by the support from this group.

Congratulations Brit on your first meeting! I remember how terrified I was at my first meeting so many many years ago. I too made progress today by checking out the meetings in the town we are moving back to this summer. I'm excited because there are 2 women's groups held at the church I belong to and both take place in the evening so I won't have sitter issues like I do in the town we currently reside in. Since they are held in my church it will at least be a safe, comfortable environment for me.

This move will be very good for my family and I have everything in place already (schools, etc.) but I have not found a place for my horse yet. We are moving out of an equestrian community to the water which means any boarding facilities will be quite far away. I cannot give up riding. Riding is one of the greatest anxiety relievers for me. It's so much a part of who I am I don't know what I'm going to do. I will find a barn for him but I will be giving up my barn family and I won't be able to ride everyday like I do now. Ah well, I'll work it out...not even sure where that rambling came from!

SFMS glad you had such a nice day - I'm sure it meant the world to your son.

Irelander hope it all worked for you on the job - these things happen!

Off to bath time with the boys...wishing everyone a safe evening (or morning).
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Welcome MeSoSober!

Back from my first ever AA meeting.

When they asked if anyone was at their first meeting I stood up. When they asked if anyone was from out of town I stood up. When they asked if anyone was less than 90 days sober I stood up. At this point people started laughing and I asked if there were some sort of prize for being a triple-threat.

FYI: They really all do say "Hi (Your Name Here)" at the same time. I didn't think that really happened.

Our speaker talked about her journey and a lot of what she said struck home with me. About being an ego-maniac with an inferiority complex. About seeing other people as less-than and blaming others for things. And how being an ego-maniac makes you feel entitled to drink while the inferiority complex tells you this is what you deserve, ya big loser.

Wow. I didn't share tonight but it was wonderful to listen to people who did, and to one guy in particular who was struggling tonight after 5 months sober.

Everyone was very welcoming, and it felt good to say that I am an alcoholic out loud for the first time in my life. Still can't believe I did it.

I like a lot about AA, as an agnostic I'm not sure it is for me, but I need to learn more before I decide, and my take-home lesson was not to judge.

I didn't have the adrenline rush like Britabroad did - I just left feeling good, tired, and a bit overwhelmed.

Hope all my Sober Marcher buddies are doing well. This is the longest I have gone without a hangover in quite a while. Feeling hopeful, but gun shy based on past experience.

All best,

Northlander