Notices

Class of January 2013 pt 6

Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hey gang just a quick check in, I have a busy day, I have a Dr apt today and I'm gonna stop in my cousin place of work. They are celebrating her 60Th birthday(its on Sunday) I guess they took her desk chair and replaced it with a wheel chair, they have balloons, cake etc. I think it is so nice that they are doing this, I think it makes a person feel loved and cared for Anyways I hope everyone has a great day, day 60 for me tomorrow Love & Peace Nell♥
Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Alison, i will pray for your spirit about the crush, that you would not grieve too much and that the pain would begin to fade. Last time my pain faded eventually. Not fast--but eventually and completely. Situations like this are a good reason to turn to your Higher Power. He's there to comfort you.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi Class

Congratulations to Shapeup 53d.Youremysunshine 44d and Allison 42 days. You guys rock!
Dorothy: I will have to check out that book.
ShapeUp: New Hobbies seem like a good idea, you'll get to meet a new group of people and I know that for me, keeping busy always help.
You'remySunshine: Yes, step two can be difficult for some of us and this is great that you are in rehab where you can give it your full attention. The key to step two is to remain open...in Case you do not believe or are uncertain G.O.D. can be an acronym for Group Of Drunks or Good Orderly Directions.
Bounced: I am so glad you are feeling better
Allison: A year ago I suffered a broken heart, it takes time to heal (even for "only" a crush).

Well, I am on my way to purchase a laptop . I went to a meeting yesterday evening because the AVs were really messing with me telling me that I should celebrate. Shut them right up :rotfxko. I know some people think that it's weird that I combine AA and AVRT but it really works for me. The beast HATES AA meetings (it wants me to be isolating, depressed and drinking not out there with other people laughing and sharing).
It's day 40 for me and aside from that bit of foolishness from the AVs here and there, things are really looking up.
I am truly grateful to be sober today. I have a colleague who is elderly and is going through chemo for lung cancer. They kept him in the Hospital Tuesday and I am on stand by to do his shelter shift tonight. What a relief it is to be able to be there for a friend and for my guys without having to re coordinate my drinking (exhausting) and even maybe build a resentment because my friend's disease interfers with my secret boozing (yes that's the kind of selfish bitch I can be when I drink)
Instead, I got my work bag ready and I am glad I can be of help. I don't believe that I am an alcoholic because of my character defects (I think it s the AVs) but I sure know that alcohol does accentuate them (this is why I work the steps).
Anyway sorry for the long rant.

Wishing everyone a good and sober day.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hello,

Just a word of caution re. Allen Carr. It worked for me because I stopped drinking with him. He advises to not stop drinking while you read it. At the last page, you drink your last glass with him. So now, when I need some help, I only reread the last 2 pages...So just be aware that he addresses the book for people who are planning to stop mainly but you can still read it if you have stopped. Still, his explanation of alcohol addiction is so amazing, it's worth reading the pages on the poisonous plant he uses as an analogy.

Just thought I would share this distinction.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm not in AA and am not familiar with the steps. Could somebody please enlighten me as to what they are? I know they're great.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like the Alan Carr book but

At the last page, you drink your last glass with him.
I didn't do that. I already knew I wanted to be done - I didn't need the aversion therapy

Gilmer this might be a good place to start:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ower-post.html

D
Old 02-28-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YouRmySunshine View Post
Well 44 days
Congratulations on 44 days!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
It's day 40 for me and aside from that bit of foolishness from the AVs here and there, things are really looking up.
40 days is amazing! I have a week to go to reach this milestone and am so pleased to realize it is a manageable & realistic goal. It wasn't that long ago that the thought of quitting for more than a day seemed overwhelming.

Thanks to everyone for sharing; I'm doing this on my own and SR is my version of 90 days / 90 meetings : 90 days / 90 posts!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I think Alan and I would have reviewed the last page quite a bit Now I can have a drink with Alan and call it research! Carlotta, I don't make a lot of meetings anymore. I can tolerate Saturday morning, in part because we go out for breakfast after, and the speaker meeting that night ... maybe I can actually show up for it this Saturday night.

I'm aware of a little AV... tonight I have a gig that comes up maybe 4 or 5 times a year, and when it's done, I feel good, and (partly habit) map in my mind the best route to 7-11. If I'm out by 8:45-ish, I can still have a full pint of vodka and be sober for my morning shift. Maybe even chase it with a good sized beer. It's not like my ex is going to complain at this point.

The things I can do instead aren't all that appealing... but as the cliche goes, "if nothing changes, nothing changes." Furthermore, the sky will not fall if I do what I'm supposed to. I feel like I'm being stared down by this "me" that says "and? and now?" because just not drinking doesn't seem to be enough anymore.

I've never regretted not drinking... that's true for a lot of people around here. So I should be OK, I just won't be doing jumping jacks for joy.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Well that was boring. Home safe.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

do you get any joy from playing R1ck?

D
Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Day 54. Chocolate tonight, again. Tomorrow's Friday! Yea weekend. Exercise, home projects, relax, work on my new hobbies. Research the net for dog training, photography and ceramics. Grateful for this day, this site, all the posts and kindness here.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Well gang its 12:12am day 60 for me!! My insomnia is full blast tonight! I had a stressful day because of my doctor appointment, I wish my mind would shut off! I really am stressing over nothing, I just get worked up and then I have a hard time getting my mind and body to relax. I hope everyone has a great weekend, I have a birthday party to go to on Sunday so I will see lots of family....Should be interesting...wink wink .....Well I guess I will try to count sheep hopefully it will work....Love & Peace Nell♥
Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Smile 1.5 Hours Until 60 Days Sober

Hello class,
I haven't posted the last few days but I've been reading everyone's posts and each one always gives me insight and strength.

I am celebrating 60 days sober tomorrow and I know there are some others here too. I couldn't have gotten this far without this site and you wonderful people. I only went to the one AA meeting last month, and I've decided that it really isn't for me. This site is my program, and at least for now it is working.

Everything has gotten better since my drinking stopped. All I felt over the last few years of my drinking days was sad and undeserving of happiness. I felt like a fraud, like I had this false exterior and whenever someone paid me a compliment regarding my work or my volunteer work or anything, I would smile and thank them and think to myself "Wow if only you knew how sick I am." I was such a mess I would regularly throw up in the kitchen sink and drink shots or pound wine in my bedroom closet to hide it from my husband. I couldn't decorate my Christmas tree because I went on a 2 day vodka binge while my husband was out of town, and when we had people over for Christmas Eve, I had to ask him who got us what presents because I couldn't remember opening them. I was obsessed with drinking. I don't ever want to feel like that again, and I don't plan to. I can see myself not drinking for the rest of my life, which is a little scary but as each drinking situation has presented itself over the past few months, it's been getting easier and easier to avoid drinking. I have started telling people I've just quit drinking. They'll say "you mean like for Lent?" I'll answer "No, I'm just done with it". It seems to be an acceptable answer.

I have finally scheduled a doctor's appointment to get a physical and bloodwork done since I know my liver enzymes were raised last time it was checked (now almost 2 years ago) but since it is a new doctor, I can't get in until April. This will be the last thing I need to deal with before mentally jumping a huge hurdle.

Anyway, that's all I have to say, I hope everyone is doing well.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Nel and Lunetta

D
Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lunetta View Post
Hello class,
I haven't posted the last few days but I've been reading everyone's posts and each one always gives me insight and strength.

I am celebrating 60 days sober tomorrow and I know there are some others here too. I couldn't have gotten this far without this site and you wonderful people. I only went to the one AA meeting last month, and I've decided that it really isn't for me. This site is my program, and at least for now it is working.

Everything has gotten better since my drinking stopped. All I felt over the last few years of my drinking days was sad and undeserving of happiness. I felt like a fraud, like I had this false exterior and whenever someone paid me a compliment regarding my work or my volunteer work or anything, I would smile and thank them and think to myself "Wow if only you knew how sick I am." I was such a mess I would regularly throw up in the kitchen sink and drink shots or pound wine in my bedroom closet to hide it from my husband. I couldn't decorate my Christmas tree because I went on a 2 day vodka binge while my husband was out of town, and when we had people over for Christmas Eve, I had to ask him who got us what presents because I couldn't remember opening them. I was obsessed with drinking. I don't ever want to feel like that again, and I don't plan to. I can see myself not drinking for the rest of my life, which is a little scary but as each drinking situation has presented itself over the past few months, it's been getting easier and easier to avoid drinking. I have started telling people I've just quit drinking. They'll say "you mean like for Lent?" I'll answer "No, I'm just done with it". It seems to be an acceptable answer.

I have finally scheduled a doctor's appointment to get a physical and bloodwork done since I know my liver enzymes were raised last time it was checked (now almost 2 years ago) but since it is a new doctor, I can't get in until April. This will be the last thing I need to deal with before mentally jumping a huge hurdle.

Anyway, that's all I have to say, I hope everyone is doing well.

Lunetta congratulations on 60 days!! It's a great feeling, for sure... Thank you for the friend request. I think 90 days will come real fast, just because it feels so good!! It helps me to count days because with each passing day I feel successful...A big congrats again, awesome job!!.. Off I go to tend to my sheep (from earlier post/insomnia)....lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Happy St David's Day to my Welsh friends here.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Congratulations Nel & Lunetta!!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nel68 View Post
Lunetta congratulations on 60 days!! It's a great feeling, for sure... Thank you for the friend request. I think 90 days will come real fast, just because it feels so good!! It helps me to count days because with each passing day I feel successful...A big congrats again, awesome job!!.. Off I go to tend to my sheep (from earlier post/insomnia)....lol.
Thanks nel and congrats to you too!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bounced View Post
Happy St David's Day to my Welsh friends here.
Thanks, Bounced. My great-grandfather was a coal miner who emigrated to the States from Wales with his wife. My grandfather was also a coal miner.