Notices

Class of September 2012 Part 10

Old 02-28-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

We'll need to have lots of cyber-cake soon to celebrate all the anniversaries!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Jim, 5 days is really great.

I think 5 minutes or 5 hours or 5 whatever is the keystone. Just the fact that some person is making the effort is what it is all about. Whenever I have stopped in the past as well as this time, I have known how easy it can all begin again with one drink. I wish it were different but know it is what it is.

My last drink was on 9/20/2012, (my latest attempt at abstinence started the 21st) therefore 6 months for me I guess would then be 3/21/2013 but I have stopped counting days. I'll never forget the last "drunk" on that 20th. I have quit for long periods of time before and I am still amazed at how without any real cause I picked it up again, usually just as bad as before I had quit. The main thing that I focus on is my inability to drink without getting smashed. If I were to chance drinking socially it would only be hours at best before I would be drinking for me. And I mean as much as I could think I could get away with. If I had no family, no job, no laws against drunk driving.... I would drink untill I was physically unable to get more and then as soon as I was sober enough I'd start over. Done it before and know I would again. Just how I'm pre-programmed or something. So sad right?

Not really. I am beginning to enjoy life like never before. Didn't think it would ever be like this for me. By not prophesying my own demise by drinking, knowing full well what I am "pre-programmed" like, I'm finding that life goes on with or without me. I am the only one who gets to decide whether or not I will do it sober. I am also beginning to recognize the quality in the the simple things in life. That my friends is a true blessing.

Best wishes to all and I am excited for those who are about to hit the big 6 month day and to anyone who has decided to put out the effort to reach one.

"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit." - Napoleon Hill

You folks are the best and I am proud to be here with you !!!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Great post Ozark, I totally agree with many of your thoughts.

Getting ready for bed. Thursday is the toughest day of my week as I have to work 9-5 and then I have class 6-8. Then it takes me about two hours to get home from school, so when I get home, it is just about time to go to bed again unless I want to be a wreck the next day. At least tomorrow is Friday have a great day all!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good 1st of March Friday morning !!!

This is going to be a great month
Old 03-01-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Damn this, 1st March is my new day 1. Somebody shoot me now.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

((HUG))!!! Thanks for the welcome back! I missed you guys. I, too, went back to read the first start of the thread and remembered why I loved you all.

The man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with tossed me out two weeks ago - can't say I blame him - but I haven't drank since. Too busy crying! Every one has their bottom, and I really think this is mine. Done with the "maybe's". Drinking doesn't bring me any happiness, only misery.

Someone told me "Recovery is about living, not about recovery." I need to get out. I can't isolate myself. I've done too much of that. I need there to be less emptiness, or I'll try to fill it with alcohol. Long walks are what are getting me through right now - I can't focus to read. As hard as it is, I think I really need to push myself to not sit at home and cry. Meeting a good friend for dinner tonight, and another for brunch on Sunday. I don't know what else to do, but I'm trying to figure it out.

Jimuk, we can do this. We can. We have to.

It's hard, damn hard, but we can. Our 6-months-sober friends give us something to look forward to. By next September, we'll have 6 months. We will.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I need to stop Bumble it's getting really out of control now. I had 6 weeks sober last year and they were the happiest of my adult life. How sad is that! If I don't stop I'm going to end up in jail or worse. There can't be anymore day 1's its killing me.

I'm sorry to hear you're sad, please take care of yourself sending you a big hug. Well done for staying sober I know how hard that can be when hurting so bad.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Jim and Bumble, hugs to you both. You've both racked up sober time in the past. You can do it again. You can do this. I want to repeat that a million times over - you can both do this.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thanks Eli, my March mission is to stay sober and get prepared for the rest of my life sober.

I'm getting bored with falling every 4-5 days and I'm sure you guys are bored of my whining. Time to get living, I'm going to volunteer with a local sailing for the disabled charity and help people. It will help me to help others and hopefully my reward will be to stay sober.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Bumble and Jim, so you've slipped up again, who hasn't?
The important thing is that you both know what you want.
To be sober and stay sober, you can do it.
We are all here to help.

Ozarkcowboy, are you me posting under another name?
Word for word your post mirrored exactly what I was like.
Especially the line, "I would drink untill I was physically unable to get more and then as soon as I was sober enough I'd start over. Done it before and know I would again".

I, too, drank until I was smashed, until I blanked out.

I am now on my 6 months since I had my last drink.

I was at a friends wedding, It was quite a good night and next day, so unlike most of my previous sessions, (but I think it was because I had planned it to be my last day).

The drink cons you into thinking it is good and you need it to enjoy yourself.

That night and the next morning, I enjoyed myself in spite of the drink.

I would never have thought then that I would be still sober 6 months later.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Well congratulations on 6 months 7 so very proud of you. Bumble sorry to hear what you are going through, big hugs!!! Ozark great post thank you for sharing. Jim volunteering sounds like a wonderful idea, and hang in there you can get through this. SBTS, Eli

Take Care everyone.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back bumble and Jim

D
Old 03-01-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Good night all.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Night Jim.

Well - congratulations on 6 months - you are awesome!!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

meant to say - congratulations well91 - awesome job

D
Old 03-02-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday morning all....Well91 and the rest of you are awesome too. Have a great day.

Jim x
Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Saturday 2nd March 2013.

6 months completely and utterly without an alcoholic drink.

I cannot emphasise enough how much this site has helped me stay sober.

I came on a few times really struggling and all of your posts helped me through.

Hope, Jim, Eli and Dee, thanks for the congrats.

I came on here 6 months ago with no confidence, no self control and I felt like a complete loser.

Now, I can drink if I want to, I just don't want to.

I think I will open a bottle of bubbly.

BUBBLY IRN BRU........................LOVE YOU ALL. 7
Old 03-02-2013, 02:26 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Enjoy the Irn Bru! That reminds me of when my stepmother was a year sober. Her family didn't believe she was an alcoholic. When she called her brother to tell him she was a year sober, he offered to send her a case of champagne to celebrate. He wasn't joking either!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Well91, we all have a common thread running amongst us here don't we? I'm a little releived to hear there was someone else who drank untill they passed out, more often than not. I knew there were, but it helps to hear that I am not the only one. Thinking that I could out drink most people used to be something I thought I should be proud of. Now it brings me shame to know I was really only showing my lack of self-control.

I also thought when startng to live sober that I would never really have a good time without being drunk. That is no longer a worry for me. It was so intimidating to me to try life sober that many times I think that is why I never gave it a try. So wrong, so, so wrong.

Alcohol is so prevalent in our society. When I'm watching a ball game on TV I see all these commercials showing how much fun everyone is having, and how great everyone drinking looks.These were really very hard for me to see when I first was trying not to drink. My children are sitting there with me and I wonder what they are learning and yet I am too ashamed to tell them about what all drinking did for me. At least not yet.

It really wasn't anymore fun than while sober and I'm sure I wasn't very good looking when I was puking my toenails up. They NEVER show on these commercials people getting arrested, fighting with loved ones (or strangers), having alcohol related health issues, passed out with vomit down their clothes or having pissed themselves. One small saving grace for me was a little blurb or some fine print I started to notice on these advertisements (which must be required by law here) that says..." Please drink responsibly". Ha Ha Ha!!! If I could drink responsibly then I could also fly to the Moon!!! Not going to happen with me.

All of you have a wonderful weekend and congrats/thanks to you for being here.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Well91, congrats!!! I am so proud of you for finally reaching six months

I am right behind you, less than a week to go now. Six months on Friday.

I read something yesterday that said when alcoholics reach six consecutive months sober, they are in a "maintenance stage" of sobriety. Having relapsed at almost eight months before, i know enough not to think that means my work will be done when I get to six, but it's nice to think we are on the cusp of a different stage of things

Ozark I am loving your insightful posts as of late.

Have a great day all.