Notices

Class of September 2012 Part 10

Old 04-27-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

SBTS congrats on beating the craving on the train. In Chicago you can't drink on the trains like you used too. No alcohol after 7 pm, but its rarely enforced. They had bar cars on some lines up to a couple of years ago. I shutter to remember buying beer for the ride home and hoping I didn't run into anyone from work. Geeze I pray I will never be in that situation again.

Ozark great idea! The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend - sunny and in the 60's finally Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

I wish they'd ban alcohol on the trains here. On the Long Island Rail Road, you can't buy alcohol ON the train (No bar cars) but there's a zillion places to get it in the station, and there are bars on the platforms, so you can carry whatever you want on with you. The only time they don't allow drinking on the trains is usually for major drinking holidays, like St Patty's Day.

I used to either get a huge beer for the train home, or a double G&T. My how times have changed.

Have a great weekend everyone
Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Ok so no one did anything rewarding??? I'll have to admit, I was rained out on Sat. and only worked around the house on Sun., but did find it rewarding. Still working on my typing skills and am very discouraged at how slow I am at it. Do see a lot of improvement but speeding up will not come soon enough for me.

No trains here but my county went "wet" a month or two ago and I noticed a sign atop one of the gas pumps that was boasting of when your 30 minute lunch becomes 3 hour one.....was an advertisement for 30 packs of beer. Ya, thats going to help get you far in your employers eyes I'm sure.

Hope everyone has a great week and lets all keep up the good fight.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hello all. Humm this weekend I was able to drive for the first time in a long time. That was a huge reward in itself I got outside washed my car, played some cards enjoyed the mild weather.

Ozark that is soo funny about the advertising sign. Really?? wow, yeah take a 3 hour lunch and drink sounds like a winner of a plan. I can hear Donald Trump now.... "your fired"

Have a great evening / week everyone!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

My rewarding thing: I ran both days this weekend. I have finally been getting back into running -- have gone three times a week for each of the past two weeks. I have decided not to push myself to change my diet yet, it's enough for me just to get the exercise back for now and I'll work on diet and weight loss later.

Congrats on driving again hope!

Final push this week at school, Thursday night it will all be over for the summer.

Have a great week everyone.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

So I had seven months sober. It had been a struggle, a long hard one and I didn't think my life had got any better than when I was drinking. On Sunday I decided wtf, I'm stressed and I miss drinking and I can probably moderate after all this sober time right? Clearly not, as I ended up in hospital after drinking a bottle of wine and overdosing on paracetamol.

I'm not looking for sympathy or trying to be dramatic, I'm just grateful to be alive and to get another chance. If my wretched experience helps anyone who's struggling to resist drinking stay sober, at least something positive will have come from it.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Pureposion I hope you are ok?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

PurePoison, I'm so sorry to hear you had that experience. I'm glad you are (I hope/assume) ok now.

It can be really tough to ignore that little voice that says, "hey, if I try drinking again, maybe this time it will be different." I personally believe I have now reached the point where I know with stone cold certainty that it is never, ever going to be any different for me, but it took a lot for me to get there.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Just trying to come to terms with the colossal stupidity of my actions and the overwhelming feelings of guilt, remorse and shame.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Goodmorning All! Its a beautiful day here. I have some good news, I got a job! The ironic thing is my start date will be when I have 90 days. It should be less pressure than my past positions. I was tempted to take a job with higher pay, but I didn't because I don't want to relapse again. I feel a little weak for doing that but I think it will be the best thing for me right now.

PP don't try to beat yourself up too much. You had 7 months of sobriety, you can do it again

SBTS, Eli, Dee, Ozark, Well, Jimuk your posts have helped me more than you will ever know. Have a great day!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hope thats fantastic!!!! Congrats, you worked hard for it and it sounds like you made a good choice. You have been pretty strong around here and have helped me a lot too.

PP, whats done is done. If I sat around and dwelt on all my past screw-ups I would not be able to function. You now know how much better you feel and operate as a sober member of society. Grow those positive feelings and you will be a better person for it. You can do this, keep plugging away.

Hope the rest of you all are doing ok.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ozarkcowboy View Post
If I sat around and dwelt on all my past screw-ups I would not be able to function.
Yup... This. But when I do think of my screwups, I just try to think of what i learned from them, and remember I am a new person now.

I remember what the guilt and shame felt like. There were times a year or so ago, when things were really bad, that I would wake up in the morning and just feel so bad I wanted to crawl out of my skin, I felt like I couldn't stand being me anymore.

The good news is none of us ever have to feel like that ever again. We have the choice.

Congrats on the job Hope, I am so happy for you
Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi All, Hope everyone is doing ok. Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Good Morning, everyone.

It is great having a clear head on a Saturday morning.

I had an interview yesterday for the Safety Manager job at my work,fingers crossed.

Have a great day Everybody.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Best wishes W91, I agree with the clear head feeling. Keep positive about the new job opportunity. Sounds like a very interesting position. How do you feel the interview went? I have been both very nervous and very relaxed during interviews in the past, usually based on how badly I felt I needed the job.

Looking forward to a great weekend and hope you all have one as well.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Morning all, how is everyone?

I'm doing well. School is over for the semester, I can't quite believe it. Now begins the anxious wait for grades. I know it'll probably be at least a week or two, but I can't stop myself from checking daily

The weekend stretching ahead entirely free feels weird, usually I have homework to do. No more of that for four months until September, I don't quite know what to do with myself.

I guess I have forgotten how to relax, but I am sure I will remember

Good luck Well with the interview. It's great that you are going for it!

PurePoison, how are you doing? Anyone else lurking that we havent heard from in a while? Jim? Jaz? Benice? YVR?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Thanks SBTS and Ozark.

It was the best interview I have ever had, I felt so relaxed and confident that the answers to the interview questions came out so eloquently that I thought I was in another persons body, it was crazy.

I think it was the first time I have ever went for an interview without having a drink the night before to "calm the nerves". (Any excuse would do).

I was not nervous at all, not a single bit. I have a great job just now but the job I applied for could double my wages in a couple of years.

Unfortunately I think the job has been given to someone else, (that happens a lot in our company) but, you never know, they could pick me.

SBTS, try and keep yourself occupied, boredom could be a trigger, I know it used to be for me.

Have a great weekend everybody.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Well glad to hear your interview went well! SBTS congratulations on being finished with school for the semester! Have to run, but wanted to check in and say HI.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Thanks Hope! And Well, no worries about boredom. I'm still going to be working at my current job 100 hours a month for May, June and July, and I'm also writing an article for our school journal over the summer, so I have plenty to keep me busy. Just getting used to having my weekends free again Today I went to the dentist, watched the hockey game and am now about to go out for a run, also have been catching up on some of my non-school reading. I have stacks of magazines I haven't had time for lately.

Catch everyone later!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes well

hope everyone has a great weekend

D