Notices

Class Of November 2012 - Part 6

Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Very timely VeryReady.

I have been to classes where someone has returned because they relapsed after many years of sobriety so I guess maintaining active presence does help. I love that I meet smart, professional women there who were drinking just like I was. It makes me realise where I would have, without doubt, end up. I certainly didn't hit a rock bottom. I still had my relationships, home, job and family but it was my bottom and one old timer told me that when you can see your bottom, stop digging. I did. I have no illusions that I can drink one day. I know that wine tastes nice, but I don't need to relive it and the actions that go with it.

If I have no plans I'm going to pop along tonight to say hi and have some green tea and listen to the chair. I often get colleagues mail me on a Friday to get something to eat or go to the cinema. I'm so blessed to have good friends! I was a social drinker, never alone in my home ever so I also don't need the rooms to keep myself busy. I'm also not one to be given homework or be told what to do. I like to paddle my own canoe.

Marine, you've helped so much. Thank you

S x
Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am still here too. I also feel like I just do not have much new to say. Coasting along. I think the holidays were stressful times for all of us, being such a party time, and maybe life is settled into a normal groove now?

I am trying to shift my focus or have shifted my focus to my health in a positive light. what I can do, as opposed to what I cannot do. so spending time on my diabetes forum, offering support, joined a group of us all trying to lose some weight, and working on healthier cooking, eating and regular exercise. It keeps me busy.

I do not do AA, so really cannot comment. However, when I read the comments a few of you have made, it is what I know I would also not like about it. I hope I do not offend, but it is as if the philosophy is to still fill your time with AA and working the program, which to me, keeps me thinking and focused on drinking, rather than my life.

But, I have had many times in my life where I had to do much soul searching, and work some might compare to "step work." But I did it on my own, with books, and different friends and mentors in my life. I do not feel my drinking was connected to some spiritual failing I have. So that whole piece of it just does not seem to fit me. I also would not like having homework and assignments. I would rather spend that time on my exercise, children or such.

I mainly struggle with being around drinking. And that is just going to take time. Old habits and all. And people who are drinking too much just bore me now. It did not matter when I was one of them, but from the outside looking in, it is a waste of time to me now. Even my slips reinforced that. The time spent doing it, then the time feeling draggy or hungover. Nothing good in it, really. Poor sleep. Boring stuff.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Rochele!

I think AA can be a replacement for drinking and agree that it keeps me focused on my drinking, sometimes in a negative way.

I'm a very analytical person anyway and have worked through my own steps to enjoy my life to the fullest. Quitting drinking was, for me, part of me addressing a problem and not the entire problem in my life.

I ended up catching up with a good old friend over a curry tonight and had a marvellous time.

Life is good.

S x
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I went to a party tonight. Host had about a 50/50 mix of alcoholic/non-alcoholic beverages. I stuck with diet coke as did a lot of people. A few hours into it, some drunk women started doing the Zumba thing. Not sure if that craze has hit the UK yet for those of you in the UK. In my drinking days I would have been out there trying to do it with them. Now, I was just bored. It is said that your real personality comes out when you are NOT drinking. I was bored and couldn't get into any good conversations with anyone and just wanted to come home and put my pajamas on. Quite different from the past. Maybe I am just a boring person or maybe just getting old.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

We have Zumba here and I would have also been joining in with the crazy lady. I rely on conversations now when I go out and if that is lacking I can have a really rubbish night.

Since quitting, social events have either been fab or rubbish. There is no more middle ground that alcohol, the great leveller, brings.

I'm happier in my Jammies with a hot cocoa when I feel the night is finished for me!

S x
Old 02-16-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi all - I'm still here, just a busy week.

First - to Marine, I'm sorry for another loss - my heart goes out to you.

This week I had one son home with strep throat, so I was doctor mom during the day and then had to go to the office and work late as I had some meetings and obligations that could not be changed. Add in school parties and regular life stuff and it made for a busy week.

I'm leaving for a conference in NYC tomorrow. I don't like being away from family so I'm nervous about that, but otherwise feel ok about it. I'm looking forward to getting home from this, after that things should settle down a bit at home and at work. I need that.

Hope all are well. I'll check in Wednesday when I'm back home.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi FMFT

Lovely to hear from you. Hope your son is well on the. Mend by now.

S x
Old 02-17-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Gang - the 21-day daily free meditation from the Chopra Center is starting in early March. I know it was a topic on here earlier.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey guys! I'm still here too. Been a crazy past 10 days. We were off work for Carnival (perk of living in Latin America) and had friends that came to see us. They wanted to do a little fun stuff and a little short term mission work so I have been playing tour guide and mission coordinator/participant for the past week or so. We had a wonderful time. Got to take them to all the typical tourist spots, and some off the beaten path spots. Of course they had rental cars so four wheeling wasn't an option. Still we had a ton of fun. Spent last Monday-Thursday out in a small town helping a local pastor build onto his church and doing some electrical work. So needless to say I am wore slap out. I have to go back to work tomorrow just to get some rest! Hit 90 days today... Life is good.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Sisterella

D
Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Congrats, Sisterella!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well done Sisterella!! I ask my best friend (since 2nd grade) the last time he thought I had 90 consequtive days without drinking?- his answer was "6th or 7th grade"--I think he is right...Today is day 96-----In AA-I have a sponsor and are about to commence the 4th step...
Old 02-17-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90 days Sisterella!!

Very jealous of your carnival holiday as well. I think the rest of the world should have that day off work too!

S x
Old 02-17-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marine28 View Post
Gang - the 21-day daily free meditation from the Chopra Center is starting in early March. I know it was a topic on here earlier.
Ooh I had forgotten. I signed up ages ago for the next course online. Should be here soon then.

S x
Old 02-18-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congratulations Sisterella

D
That's great how do I start writing my own status ? Thread ? Sorry
Old 02-18-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

how to post a new thread:

On the main page of this and every forum...e.g.:
Newcomers to Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

you'll see a big blue button at the top left of the page

Find the forum you want to post in, click that big blue button...and ..you're away

D
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Hey gang,

Rolling along here. Days are getting longer and warmer, but it's still only the middle of February. Wasn't the best weekend, felt depressed and mostly mopped around. Also, super sensitive. Some of the ups and downs I guess. I am starting to suspect that I might be bi-polar, but this early into sobriety it's still so difficult to tell. I'll wait a few more months before going to a doctor. Or that's my plan anyways.

100 days today. Can't believe I've made it this far but there's still a long road ahead. Congrats also Sisterella and BIC. Have a good week folks!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Congratulations Nomis on 100 days.

Sister congrats to you on 90 days.

I had an interesting thing to deal with yesterday that you guys might relate to.

I have a friend who is certainly my biggest drinking buddy. We do most of our male bonding in the summer, so I have not seen him since I stopped drinking. Well he and his wife and kids came to our little guys birthday party yesterday. The wives and kids are also very close so we invited them back to the house after the party. Of course he asks what kind of beer to bring back to the house. The next few minutes were a little uncomfortable. Not disrespectful on his part, but more like shock. You would have thought I was telling him that 2+2 is really 5 or something. We were still cleaning up so we really didn't finish our debate and just agreed to meet back at out house.

So here is the hard part. I was seriously thinking that I have not had a beer in over 100 days. Would it really be a big deal. I'm pretty sure I could control myself for one night and then get right back here and start another streak. I didn't want to argue with this guy, they are great friends, etc. I almost did it. I didn't do it because of accountability here and accountability to AA. I was thinking to myself 'people who go to AA don't drink once in a while'. Besides those 2 things, the logic in my head was not have been enough. So we we worked it out. He was cool and we had a good sober evening.

So, the moral to the story is be careful. I think having some good time under our belts is going to make it easier to slip moving forward. I am just going to keep posting here as long as I can and keep going to meetings. Without it, I'm sure yesterday would have been the end of my streak.

Thanks everybody.

Where's June?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad you didn't fall for that VR

Congrats Nomis!

D
Old 02-18-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Nomis. Well done on 100 days.

VeryReady I know what you mean about that thought. I've had it on a few surprising occasions and I've managed to keep it in check.

I also haven't been to an AA meeting for 3 weeks and I'm not sure that I miss it. Recently I felt a bit pressured into getting a sponsor and working the steps and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I look at AVRT as well and that makes sense to me. I enjoy listening to the chairs at a meeting but some of it is very deep and soul searching and I'm of the mindset that, this is me now - I don't drink.

Sorry to get deep myself but its late and this is when I reflect!!

Good night

S x