Notices

Class of January 2013 pt 4

Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alohaguy44 View Post
Day 13 here as well, feeling pretty good, no plans for drinking but I take it one day (sometimes one minute) at a time. Hope all have a nice sober weekend. It is snowing hard here in Dayton Ohio!
The weather here is similar, and it makes me want to shack up, stay in, and *blink* there goes the weekend. Don't think so, though, have commitments scattered throughout... meetings, friends, work, SR
Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, not been on for the last two days with one thing and another, thought I would check in on day 25 at the start of the weekend. Feeling postive and fingers crossed it is much better than last weekend which was filled with dread unexpectedly and lasted a good 4/5 days before I seen any improvement in my mood.

My AV squeaks now and again but at least for now it is not followed by any urges and I'm sure if I was not over eating at the moment I would feel on top of the world. Ar well can't have it all I'll just get through the weekend and attack my diet on Monday.

Glad to see some of you are doing so well, nice to see a few new names joining us and I'm sorry for those of you who are having a tough time of it at the moment.

Stay strong and move through it!!

xxx
Old 01-25-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good to see you PBC!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Morning of day 19 here, really busy day at work but had to at least say hello to part 4 of the January group. Glad to see so many moving into the double digits and approaching a full month of sobriety, we've come a long way! I actually had a test last night, had to attend a meeting after a scout meeting with the adult leaders and they always meet at a bar near the school. I had no problems having a soda and when asked why, I just said I was cutting back. Rather than pressuring me, most of them were like "I have always thought of doing that, or man - you are stronger than me, good idea! "

Sorry to hear about the relapses for a few of us, but glad to see you all sticking with and moving forward..that's the only thing you can do. For the newcomers, welcome - it is tough but it gets gradually easier as you go forward.

Best wishes to all for a safe and sober weekend, off to a busy day here and will try and catch up later.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day four here. I am feeling really good today. Sprang out of bed with energy. I cant remember the last time that happened!

I anticipate a tough weekend - weekends, esp Fridays were always the days i "needed" my wine most-after a tough week etc etc. i figured i would feel this way and made plans to go see a movie tonight. I figure if i change up my routine it might help.

Heres to a good weekend everyone!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!

I hope everyone is having a fine Friday so far. Last night was the first time my AV got loud. I think it's because I sat my big butt down on the couch and decided to relax and not keep busy (or get on SR!) I didn't indulge but I noticed I was fidgety and a little snappy. So tonight, it's back to laundry laundry laundry (how much laundry can a family of 4 have? It's the never ending pile...but a life saver right now!) I'm waiting for my books that I ordered (recommended from here) the two that I got are: Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore; Getting Through The First Year of Soberiety & Drinking, A Love Story. I heard are pretty good, and they have some humor intertwined, which I like. I know first hand how depressing and serious alcoholism is, but sometimes the doom and gloom over and over gets, well, a little depressing.

Dorris, while i'm not exactly overeating, I am eating junk. I hate sweets usually, but cadbury eggs are my friend right now. I may have to switch to elastic waistband pants soon...lol.

Sober1ck, I see you are from IL! I am originally from the N.W. suburbs of Chicago. GO BEARS!

Mr. A, I'm sorry you slipped, but like someone said, you didn't slide all the way down the rabbit hole, which is awesome. I don't know if I could have had the willpower like you did dumping it out. That's admirable!

Serenity, Good luck girl! Let us know how you make out. I will be thinking of you!

Hi Lunetta, Bryangt, Reeny, Lisamum, PBC and I'm sorry if I missed anyone, I'm still drinking my first cup o' joe..haven't quite woken up yet.

Rosieblue, I am so excited about my Amethyst necklace! I haven't found the perfect one yet, but it's fun looking around! Did you get jewelry or did you get a loose stone?

Woodhead, good luck at hunting camp this weekend! When I lived in Illinois, this guy I used to work with hunted and he let me try venison (sp?) and rabbit and let me tell you what, I LOVED IT. The rabbit is probably my favorite and he made jerky out of the deer meat...yum! Stay stong!!

I can't remember who was talking about their puppies, but I just recently got a pup myself! My beloved Dingo (mutt) had to be put down in November after 13 years of being best friends. He was my babylove and my squishy. The best dog I have ever had in my life. I miss him terribly. Not more than two weeks later, I couldn't stand the house with out a dog, so I found a german shephard puppy (3/4 shepherd and 1/4 rottie). She is a moose (@ 4 months she is 40.5 pounds!) They vet estimated her weight at a little over 100 lbs when she is full grown. You should see her paws and ears. She looks like a bat. hee hee. We named her Belushi (like John...animals house or blues brothers)

Anyway, these people here seem to think that I need to actually get some work done (how dare they... lol)

Enjoy your morning and keep on trucken' all

oh! Dee! I'm sorry! I hope you get better soon! I miss your insightful posts!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The men here might appreciate this tale ...

This morning, my wife seemed a little silent and distant. Something's bothering her, but you don't know what. You know the conversation ... "Honey, is there anything wrong?" ... "No. Why would you think that?"

In the past, my first thought would have been that she was upset with my drinking the previous night. I would have felt guilty the entire day, swore to myself that I would get my drinking under control, and then, of course, quickly revert to my daily drinkiing habit once I got home later in the day.

But today it's different! I'm on Day 26, so I know my drinking didn't upset her. Sure ... I probably did something else to **** her off, but it wasn't my drinking! I can't tell you what a relief it is to not be plaqued by guilt over drinking.

Carry on, classmates!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

WhoDey,
Have you discussed you stopping drinking with the wife? I have not yet, and am waiting on her to comment on my new reality. I think maybe she's afraid to ask me about it in case her inquiry would jinx the deal. It's sort of like having a kid that knows there's no Santa, but won't acknowledge it because they don't want to spoil the fun and rewards. Anyway, I am anxious to discuss it with her when it comes up, and to tell her about SR which has helped me more than anything I've tried in the past - so glad I found this site.
Best,
W
Old 01-25-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

HI Whodey!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by woodhead View Post
WhoDey,
Have you discussed you stopping drinking with the wife? I have not yet, and am waiting on her to comment on my new reality. I think maybe she's afraid to ask me about it in case her inquiry would jinx the deal. It's sort of like having a kid that knows there's no Santa, but won't acknowledge it because they don't want to spoil the fun and rewards. Anyway, I am anxious to discuss it with her when it comes up, and to tell her about SR which has helped me more than anything I've tried in the past - so glad I found this site.est,
W
My wife was the first to know before I even started. I couldn't have made it through the first week or so without her support. But as WhoDey insinuates, even though she can't get mad at me for drinking anymore she finds other things!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by woodhead View Post
WhoDey,
Have you discussed you stopping drinking with the wife? I have not yet, and am waiting on her to comment on my new reality. I think maybe she's afraid to ask me about it in case her inquiry would jinx the deal. It's sort of like having a kid that knows there's no Santa, but won't acknowledge it because they don't want to spoil the fun and rewards. Anyway, I am anxious to discuss it with her when it comes up, and to tell her about SR which has helped me more than anything I've tried in the past - so glad I found this site.
Woodhead ...

I have discussed my stopping with my wife ... she brought it up ... "I've noticed that you haven't been drinking" ... but only briefly. I'm still embarrassed by the whole enterprise and don't really want to discuss it. It's easier to discuss the process of quiting here.

That said, I would recommend that you mention it to your wife. You don't need to go into great detail ... just mention that you decided to no longer drink and that you come to this site for support.

When I visited my mom last week in Arizona, she also noticed that I wasn't drinking and mentioned it. She then said she was proud of me and that she knows I have always been able to accomplish anything I put my mind to. That meant a lot to me.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
I'm still embarrassed by the whole enterprise and don't really want to discuss it. It's easier to discuss the process of quiting here.

That said, I would recommend that you mention it to your wife. You don't need to go into great detail ... just mention that you decided to no longer drink and that you come to this site for support.
WhoDey,
I understand the embarrassment part, but when I think about it I'm much less embarrassing to my wife and my friends than I was when I was the life of the party and talking crap that I regretted the next day.

Good advice on speaking to my wife. The only thing that I worry about is if I make a big pronouncement, i.e., "I'VE STOPPED DRINKING FOR GOOD", and I relapse in a moment of weakness that any trust that she has gained will evaporate. I have no intentions of drinking, because I know the outcome and I feel better now, both physically and emotionally, than I have in years. BUT, there's this nagging fear that I might fail at some point. I guess I gotta get over this fear. One day at a time.

Thanks again - this SR group is the only thing that's ever gotten me this far into sobriety in my adult life, and I was in rehab a few years ago. Seeing yours and other's posts each day keeps me on track.
Best,
W
Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LindseyMarie View Post
Good morning everyone!

I'm waiting for my books that I ordered (recommended from here) the two that I got are: Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore; Getting Through The First Year of Soberiety & Drinking, A Love Story.
I just got Guts by Kristin Johnston and so far it's great. Nice to hear from a real addict in recovery.

Originally Posted by LindseyMarie View Post
Sober1ck, I see you are from IL! I am originally from the N.W. suburbs of Chicago. GO BEARS!
Yeah, sometimes the bears go! Nudge, nudge, say no more N.W. burbs not far from me.

I wish I could get a dog, miss the collie we had to put down years ago. Sadly, pets not allowed where I live... got to cuddle up and nap with my niece's dog over the weekend, after a too-big lunch...that was a very sound nap!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I, too, have not told my wife. She is not a big drinker and would be supportive but I am afraid I would tell her and then turn around and fall off the wagon. I am looking to get some time under my belt first.

anyway, day 5 for me and heading into the weekend. I feel good about the weekend. nothing is planned so I won't be at any tempting areas/situations. good luck class.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey everyone

Day 25 here and still plodding on.

I have been keeping my head down a bit because I have been in a really grisly mood for a few days. I think I used to use alcohol quite a bit to smooth out emotions and, without it, I am up and down a bit like a yoyo. Also I seem to be in a catatonic state over work. I just can't get myself motivated. So I don't want to be a downer on the group, I will just stay out of the way till I can buck up my ideas.

PS If you are reading this, Fdm, you are still a member of the January class no matter what happens.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Day 9. My kids are SOOOO whiney today. It's gonna be a long day with that! I'm REALLY looking forward to their nap time! It's raining so we are locked up indoors today. We may have to go take a drive later just to get out of the house for a bit and a little starbucks drive thru
Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Bounced, don't ever feel like you are a downer on the group. That's what this is here for (at least IMO) vent, cry, laugh and slap our AV voices together. If you've noticed, I post nonsense because it makes me feel better to just be here and active. Even if i'm not posting out withdrawls or problems, I still feel very connected to all of you, which in turns gives me a great sense of 'safety'. hang in there

Peacefulrain, how old are your kids? My girls are 6 and 3 and it's the little one that I swear is the devil. lol...she's loud, crazy FUNNY and man oh man is she one stubborn little mama. I guess she takes after me. lol!! My 6 year old is sweet, very sensitive and shy. Her and I are connected soul to soul (she was even born on my birthday, 2 minutes from my birth time!) she senses when I'm upset or angry and will come and sit with me and either hold my hand quietly or lay her head on me. She's my angel.

I have to go to a birthday party tonight w/ my oldest, and it's a swimming party (indoors). Have I mentioned it's going to 11 degrees tonight and of coarse, this morning my car window motor crapped the bed so my driver side window is about 1 to 2 inches stuck open. My AV is already starting her nonsense and telling me cancel the invite to the party, grab some beers and watch a movie. (I bought Ted this afternoon). It's making my stomach sick and kinda putting me in a not-so-happy mood. I can't wait to live for the weekends again. I was thinking of having all these plans (inviting my 6 year old niece to come and sleep over) but I don't know if I'm ready for that kind of stress yet. It's a lot easier w/ a 18 pack in my fridge. Get it out of your mind Linz, YOU DONT DRINK ANYMORE.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

So I have only 1 hand for typing because my other is holding my new 3 week old granddaughter. What a joy to be fully sober and alert when they dropped by! Usually I nap on my days off, after a couple drinks. This is MUCH better.

I'll write more later with 2 hands.

Hi Bryan!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Aw! Congratulations "Grandma!"
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

help!
tempted
so cold out there and just want to chug a bottle