Notices

Class of December 2012 - Part 5

Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Morning, all

Woke up with a nasty headache and then realized it had been over a month since I have had a hangover. Thank God for that! Although...what the French toast? Why do I have a headache?! Lol

I was supposed to meet with my sponsor but because I've been sick, we are skipping and talking about the BB by phone.

Everyone have a great day!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Great Post Dee. Love it!!

Alice. What a great Dr. Best to you!!

Still cold but the mercury is rising!! Dealing with a hormonal 13yr old (red head) I have to say that dealing with this with no hangover and sober is so much easier. I feel somewhat bad for her because their little brains don't work rationally at this age but they are required conform. Even when our bodies are raging. All part of growing up.
Off to a swim meet and then home for a quite night!!

Happy weekend to all.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi all, just checking in...

I'm heading off to my Saturday morning Men Stag... I hope everyone has a safe and sober day... I'll check back soon!!!

Have a great weekend!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. SOrry about the am headache Tam. Even though we are free from hangovers now we still can't escape the normal headaches and head colds etc. but at least we don't have to suffer them both anymore.

Another busy weekend ahead. Have a great day all. Hope to check in later.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Originally Posted by lifeanew View Post

Still cold but the mercury is rising!! Dealing with a hormonal 13yr old (red head)

Happy weekend to all.
What are you saying about red heads?! Lol lifelong ginger here... Even if I do have to enhance it these days
Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Afternoon all

Cold here too-we had lots of snow last night
Sadly,it's melting now

Taz-my husband loves AMerican Pickers-he has it on series link and there's so many of them!

Enjoy your meeting wifi

Hope your headache eases Tam

Happy sober Saturday
Old 01-26-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi Class!

You are all so inspiring and wish I would have come in here yesterday during my nervous breakdown. I broke into tears when the system kept blowing up on me and could not conduct the work. My thoughts were way to close to head to the carryout and say F*CK it all! Instead of getting plastered, I walked away and calmed down knowing alcohol was not the solution.

Alcohol would have lead me to a complete failure. At least I know that if I fail this job it won't be alcohol related like the last gig.

Today, I am positive and will give it my best to succeed with the ridiculous requirements expected of me. I don't have to conduct work today, so I am getting a game plan in order to become more efficient and ready to tackle it again on Monday.

I wish the best for everyone this weekend!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know the media and social; pressure is pretty full on, but if we had a peanut allergy could any ad make us eat a Reeses, or a Snickers?

If we were allergic to seafood would we feel the same pull to head down to the pier for an all you can eat seafood buffet?

Acceptanceof what we are and what that means for us goes a long way to peace I think

We all know whats best for us - we just have to keep hold of that and not lose it in the tide of emotions that a Friday night can bring.

we're heading in the right direction guys

D
The allergy analogy is interesting in that for my wife for instance a tiny bite of a prawn would result in near instant anaphylactic shock and a very fast blue light trip to hospital. Therefore no amount of advertising could persuade her to eat a prawn because she is aware of what she is (if you follow) and acts accordingly.

Millions of people smoke cigarettes in the full knowledge that to do so risks serious disease and there are multi billion dollar marketing machines out there working hard to recruit millions more cigarette addicts and hundreds of thousands of people will die as a direct result. So the allergy analogy works if you know YOU have a problem and accept it but not if people are aware the product is dangerous but there will be no immediate lasting repercussions and lo - marketing sells more tobacco products. In certain countries this is recognised and tobacco advertising is completely banned, in Auz even branding on the packets is banned and they are sold in white boxes with enormous health warnings.

Same goes for alcohol in that most people are aware that its a harmful substance yet millions of people drink too much and many thousands of people die as a result, and yet there are 4 aisles of booze dressed up in attractive packaging in my local supermarket and adverts on every media imaginable and so forth.

The majority of daily drinkers are doing so to a dangerous level and are being assured to an extent by the media that this is socially acceptable and not actually all that bad. A recent survey in the UK suggests that professional women aged 30 to 45 are the group most at risk from health problems due to the amount they are drinking, more even than the 18 to 25 group.

I think you're right in that once one accepts one has problem and you take responsibility for dealing with it - you'll be on the path to peace and be unswayed by media pressures. Trouble is that due to external marketing forces its hard for people to accept they have a problem, then hard to deal with it and will then get treated as some sort of wierdo by the rest of the general public for choosing not to drink with the rest of them. Result being that many won't stop and will die. Meanwhile the advertising engine rumbles on.

I appreciate I've widened the angle of my original comment on this topic plus had a general wander around a bunch of subjects while in the process!

Originally I was just posting wishing they'd shut up about it and stop telling me its a wonderful reward that I then have to remind myself is not for me.

Widening it though I think it stinks that such a powerful, dangerous and addictive drug gets so much bu11shit press....

But I guess we all know this!

I wonder how far we are away from a ban in the US and UK on TV adverts for alcoholic drinks?

There's a movement here for banning TV commercials for fast food before The Watershed (9pm after which all kids should have gone to bed).

But then - where do we draw the line between a persons right to choose and The States responsibility to protect the public from dangerous products sold by profit hungry death merchants?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Great post Napster
Old 01-26-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hey Cat sorry about you troubles. I hope you can make yourself a plan that will save you stress on Monday.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we all know we have a problem here NapsteR - but I agree the acceptance part takes a bit of time and effort.

The allergy analogy helped me, even tho I suspect the science is dodgy, it made sense to me as a newcomer and it still makes sense now.

It wasn't really the media that kept me drinking tho. It was pride.
I wanted my cake and eat it too.

Acceptance happens tho - even for stubborn old goats like myself.
My addiction simply beat me down in the end.

As for Govt's legislating - I don't think the plain wrappers or the lack of TV advertising or even high taxes has hurt the smoking industry here in Australia one little bit.

I suspect the same would be true of alcohol.

I think the answer lies in education and generational change myself.

D
Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Tam - bad luck about the headache. I always feel slightly ripped off when I'm not feeling well despite being sober.

Life - ty, I really like this doctor Finally found a decent one. Good luck with the terrible teens

TT - Good to hear from you, hope next week isn't too crazy!

RAL - I wish I were in the snow! It's warmish here, though much better this weekend. No A/C on for a change!

Hey Cat, good work on handling a difficult situation without turning back to the usual resort - shows a lot of courage and wisdom.

Napster - great post again I'm in Aus, and not only are there health warnings but grotesque photos (real or not, I'm not sure). I hate them - makes me annoyed that I don't smoke but exposed to them by every careless litter bug who smokes. BUT they do seem to be doing their job! I only know a handful of people under 25 who smoke. My younger brother (now 27) and all his friends don't smoke and never had. When I went back to Uni as a 27 year old myself I noticed that during the class session breaks the only people out smoking were me, the tutor, and the other mature age students - all the 18/19 year olds were inside.

Dee, I'm not sure on the figures, but I reckon time will show that the tobacco industry will have taken a hit in AU. Now they are jumping onto the electronic cigarettes as a way to keep advertising with their brands on show... cleverFancy cigarette packets hit the shelves | News.com.au. The whole electronic cigarette angle is also very low... It's making cigarettes cool again... I hope the next generation stick to their guns. The tobacco companies are insidious. They will pay a popular establishment to decorate in accordance with their brand colour scheme as a way of making people think of cigarettes even though they can't out-right advertise. There is still millions being pumped into cigarette marketing and advertising campaigns in Australia.

I still do see a reduction in smokers in my personal circles though, of those under 30 anyway. Even the older smokers I know, a good percentage have quit (including my dad who has smoked for 40 + years! - go dad!)

Sadly, the same attention in Australia isn't devoted to alcohol... Yesterday was "Australia Day" and this article sums up the Aussie attitude to alcohol, and why it makes Australia Day a pain. Why Caroline Won't be Boozing on Australia Day| Herald Sun

From the article:

This confession is not an easy one to make. In a culture whose identity is inextricably linked with grog, admitting you're not really into the stuff raises more eyebrows than glasses. We're wowsers, party poopers, prudish, frigid, boring, and I don't even have an alcoholic parent or developing foetus to blame.

This isn't about stopping others from having fun and I'm not opposed to the odd glass of white or espresso martini when the mood strikes. I'm wild like that.

But what is lamentable is the pressure laid on non-drinkers who don't follow the mob. When one person in a social circle is sober, it seems to make drinkers uncomfortable. When a friend stands up to get the next round, my refusal is perceived as a personal affront."But why not? Caaaarn, just one moooore," they slur.
You are right about the advertising too, Napster... I hope they eventually ban it. I get your comment about the line between a person's right to chose... but let's be honest, the odds are stacked well and truly against the average Joe citizen. Most of my MBA has been about marketing, and these guys know exactly what they are doing. Nothing is an accident in an ad, in a movie, in a TV show, in a song. Regular people think that they are making a choice based on what they want, but the only reason they want that is because they are being programed to want it. My partner was watching the cricket the other weekend, and I saw the big green oval and instantly wanted a box of KFC. Why? Cause in Australia KFC are marketing themselves as the perfect cricket meal. Which makes no sense at all. Logically - why would you want to eat something that gets you covered in grease while you're out in public watching a sport? Why, in the stinking hot Aussie summer would you ever think "Mmm a nice tub of hot, greased up chicken skin sounds awesome". And yet, the marketing works. My instinct was "I want KFC".

Crazy! (PS, I didn't get KFC - take that Col. Sanders).

The problem with alcohol is that unlike a peanut or prawn allergy (your poor wife! I hope she's not allergic to oysters too, that'd be tragic!) is that the result is pretty much guaranteed to happen immediately. Alcohol, cigarettes - they are a Russian roulette. You might die from them eventually, but eventually is a long time away... and the chances of dieing immediately (eg Amy Winehouse style, or drunk driving, fighting, falling etc) is perceived to be low - "I've driven home drunk plenty of times and it's never been a problem". It's hard to understand the concept that "It only needs to be a problem once, and then you never have to worry about it again". Especially for younger people.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hrm, should I add that I'm an ex-smoker, since in my post above I said both "I don't smoke" and then "the only people out smoking were me, the tutor, and the other mature age students"

I quit that year that I was in Uni I don't care if others smoke though, I quit for my own reasons and I wouldn't push those reasons on others.

PS - four weeks today!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I would say boredom is my biggest issue. It really is, I dont know how to deal with it. I try and deal with it but it is the hardest part.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I saw a special, one of those Nightline ones, I believe, where they talked to people with food allergies who's favorite food was their allergen. It was hilarious, but insane. It started with a husband who had a shellfish allergy who went to Red Lobster twice a year, all hopped up on Benadryl. His wife got to a point where she refused to participate. Funny, the way they told the stories, but probably not unlike the way we sound with alcohol. Dee, your post reminded me of that special, it has to be something bin the brain that tells people they want it because they can't have it... Or a character flaw. Guess it doesn't matter.

Just got back from a meeting, I hadn't been all week because of being sick and the topic was acceptance. Everyone talked about how they have accepted that those around them could still drink (Gasparilla is the drunken talk of the Bay Area today). I had to accept that I am like them. And like you all here. I drank for the last few years knowing I had a problem and trying to moderate because I wasn't a real alcoholic, whatever the hell that meant. Coming here, going to meetings, talking to my sponsor... I'm not as drastic as some, but I do have the potential! I have finally accepted that I'm an alcoholic.

So that's that. I normally don't get heavy, thanks for listening. And I hope everyone has a good sober evening!

Congrats on 4 weeks Alice!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Day 49 here today. Congratulations to all of the Dec. 2012 folks who are staying the course!

I'm sorry I haven't checked in here for awhile, but I have been preoccupied with settling into my intensive outpatient treatment program. I've made it through a week + of sessions, and I must say, I have mixed feelings so far. I am lucky that I live in a state with a nationally renowned treatment center, and that I was able to get in considering the state of my health insurance. I know this is a gift from my HP, but I was really expecting more from the program than what I have encountered.

It is very focused on the "group" dynamic which I wasn't expecting. I was anticipating more 1 on 1 sessions with mental health professionals than the once per week 30 minute meeting with an addiction counselor that I am scheduled for. The rest of the program (12 hours per week) is basically lecture and group discussion which really has more of an "academic" feel to it. I've come to understand that if you want to meet with a psychiatrist to deal with underlying issues, that costs extra?!? (As if the outrageous cost of the group sessions wasn't enough). Well, I requested this yesterday so I will follow up with my counselor at the next session. I KNOW I need to get to the bottom of this anxiety thing that is going on with me, or it is only a matter of time until relapse.

Apart from those issues, I do "enjoy" going like I "enjoy" going to AA meetings because I get the satisfaction of feeling like I am accomplishing something. What exactly, I'm not sure yet. I just know for me, it is time to put this alcohol demon to death.

Has anyone else in our class begun or completed an outpatient program? What are your thoughts on how it is going/helping?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Wow - would love to jump in on the philosophy going on here - I love these types of discussions but I am way too tired now to make any sense. I will say reading all of your posts has been quite enjoyable and elightening.

Hey CN - good to see you. I cannot comment on treatment but wish you the best of luck with it.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Evening all but unlike TTBABP these type of threads tend to send me running to the furthest corner of the building so I will just bid y'all a good evening and positive thoughts!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi everyone! Just checking in.

Great to see you, Charlie. I'm not in any outpatient -- your experience is interesting. Maybe you should start a thread under the Alcoholism forum, or in the general Newcomers section, asking about others' experiences.

I've been kind of busy because my son is going through a difficult breakup w/his girlfriend of 2+ years, and came home for the weekend. Actually it's been kind of good to get out of my own head, helping him think through his problems & also helping my husband deal w/various worries about him.

Seems like everyone is well. I read some of the longer recent posts w/amazement -- I wish I had some of your mental energy!

Take care, all.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Gonzo, the boredom is what kills me the most. I saw my dr yesterday and I said "I've not drunk for four weeks" he said "How do you feel about that" I said "bored!". He laughed I've always had trouble staying focussed on one thing though - I watch TV and play games on my phone. I play computer games and listen to an audio book. Once I was playing WOW on the computer, watching TV on a portable DVD player, and painting a photo of a tiger all at once (and drinking at the time too). I used to like that drinking was another thing I could do while I was doing something else (I used to get annoyed that when I was in the shower I was wasting time because I couldn't do anything in the shower other than what it's intended for!).

I'm working on trying to engage myself more with my surroundings and trying to stop overloading my brain by doing so many things at once. It's tricky, and I've been doing this for years so I don't know how long it'll take to get used to being content to just sit still.

On the flip coin, when I'm in a 'down' mood I'll just sprawl facedown on the couch and not move for a few hours haha!