Notices

Class of December 2012 - Part 5

Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi all, a new thread already?

I'm glad to see that everyone seems to be in a good place, even if there are difficult things going on.

I'm doing well, but getting angry a lot at being sober. I'm bored with it, and cranky that it's boring. I don't like the fact that I don't know if I'll be sleepy or not by the time it's 'bed time'. I hate that there's nothing to look forward to at the end of the day, it's like everything has become a big slog - slogging out the days waiting for it to get easier.

I've been through this before. My longest stint with sobriety was 5 months, and the boredom and anger sent me back. I regret it, but it's so easy to regret the past, so hard to suffer through the present. I have my dr's appointment tomorrow so I can talk to him about all these things. It'll be the first time I've seen him since being sober, so I'm glad about that.

I wish this apathy would pass. I'm going to have to organise a plan to beat it, but I don't know how. I have more assignments to do over the next two weeks, once that's over with I am going to move things around in the house and try to make things more friendly. Move the computer out of the dining room, and set up the table and chairs for example. Stop using my treadmil as a clothes rack... start emptying boxes out of the spare room.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Alice-I totally get where you are coming from. I've found this month almost harder than last,from an emotional perspective. I know people say find something else to do but in the evenings when my son is in bed I can't go out and do anything. Reading,cleaning, TV & SR. tbh I don't want to go back to feeling bad after drinking,though as time passes its easy to forget how bad it was. From reading others' stories this does pass at 2-3 months

courage-congrats on 40 days

good on everyone for not giving in to their AVs and drinking

Bernie

Crunchy top Lemon cake[U]

100g marg
175g caster sugar
175g sr flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 extra large eggs
4 tablespoons milk
finely grated rind of 1 lemon

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees C

Mix ingredients and add to 7 in deep tin. Bake for 35-40 mins

Make crunchy topping whilst cake is in oven

juice of 1 lemon
100g caster sugar

As soon as cake comes out of oven add the paste all over the top. Leave in tin till cold then remove

Very sugary but very yummy!!!

Have a great day everyone
Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi Class and Happy Friday to those on that M-F gig.

Just hopping in for a quick check as I devour breakfast and try to get my daily work in. Yesterday was day one and somewhat of a disaster since I had worked until almost 9pm, no dinner and nerves ready to split wide open.

Internet stable at home but now I have to contend with this god awful unstable interface to work on. Yesterday was another day I could have pounded several beers to rid the frustrations but chose not to. I need a clear head to succeed with this job.

I wish everyone health, happiness, sobriety and good wishes! :ghug3
Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AliceTW View Post
Move the computer out of the dining room, and set up the table and chairs for example. Stop using my treadmil as a clothes rack... start emptying boxes out of the spare room.
This sounds like a plan Alice. Keep busy and occupied to fight off that boredom.

Ready - the cake does sound delish. I do not cook but I might convert your measurments and give the recipe to a friend of mine who loves baking.

Soldier on Cat.. It will get easier as time passes. I've been doing my jog for over 20 years and its still not easy sometimes. As gonzo's signature says "Keep Calm and Carry on". I love that.

Don't think I've seen a post in awhile from gonzo. Gonzo?!!!! How's it going?

tazzle - good for your fighting through those cravings. They are going to happen (sometimes daily) but sounds as though your are doing a great job getting through - keep it up.

NapsteR, Wifi, Tam, courage, bernie, lifeanew and anyoine I have inadvertently omitted a big HELLO. Have a great day (or night) as the case may be.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hello all, still hanging in, just didn't get a chance to stop in yesterday. Wound up having to go look at a potential work project that took up most of the day and then stopped at a friends there to watch some hockey and have some pizza. Hope everyone has a good Friday.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Way to go everyone. I think as we all close the door on drinking we need to look to open others. Exercise, hobby, knit, volunteer... endless opportunities now that we are not held back by the ball and chain of alcohol.
I think of all that alcohol has taken from my life and look at every day as a gift. Wonder what presents we will find today!!!

( Little about me) I have 8 chickens and I love my girls. Been thinking about introducing bees to my mix. Starting my research this weekend and hope to understand how to start a hive ( What ever they call it) when the weather turns in April. Feel almost giddy with excitement.

So here's to trying something new!!

Love to all.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifeanew View Post
I think of all that alcohol has taken from my life and look at every day as a gift. Wonder what presents we will find today!!!
( Little about me) I have 8 chickens and I love my girls. Been thinking about introducing bees to my mix. Starting my research this weekend and hope to understand how to start a hive ( What ever they call it) when the weather turns in April. Feel almost giddy with excitement.

So here's to trying something new!!

Love to all.
What a wonderful phrase! I need to remember to say that every morning! It is so Positive and you cant say that and not smile and look forward to the day! thank you Lifeanew!!!:ghug3

I dont have chickens nor plan on a bee hive, but I have gotten my Fly Tying materials and vice out from storage and am anxious to start that after a several year abscence. That is something that i love doing and it keeps my urges at bay.

keep motivated everyone! and look for those presents being sober will bring us!!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in...

Bernie/Tazzle - I too had the urge to just throw in the towel this morning... I figured what the heck, its been 45 days... I DESERVE THIS.... Nope, it's just not an option... Its wierd how these urges just seem to come out of nowhere... Scary... Good job working through the urges.

Courage - Thank goodness we only have to identify as "newcomers" for the first 30 days here in so cal... Wow 90 days.. Brutal! Keep up the good work!

AliceTW - I can relate... Some times it makes me angry that I can't drink like a normal person, however the truth is I can't. I've gone as long as six years sober and then convinced myself I was "cured" and started the process again... Call it bordom or whatever, it never ends well for me when I decide to go back out there and try it again...

ReadyAtLast - Good to hear from you.. I bet the cake is yummy!!! I'll have to check it out!

Cat - I hope you get your internet issues resolved ASAP...

Lifeanew - Good to see you trying new things...

Gonzo, Tamerua, TTBABP and anyone else I may have missed big "SHOUT OUT"...

I hope everyone has a safe and sober weekend!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks everyone for their posts today -- they were just what I needed to hear!

I'm having some urges to "throw in the towel" but I heard one good thing recently: it's what we focus on that grows. This fellow said that when he focused on positive things, opportunities, qualities he loved in others, those things grew & flourished, but when he focused on boredom, regrets, & doubts, those were the things that grew.

Hope everyone focuses on positives (like beehives!!!) & stays sober.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Howdy all! I responded earlier but it got lost, bad connection at work.

I try to think that I have all this time now... Everything that I procrastinated on I can do. Redecorate, I should exercise and if I did I would easily fall asleep at night, read... I have a whole shelf of books, watch a movie that I will remember the ending too... Yup.

I have an LGBT meeting over in Tampa today, should be fun considering they're in the middle of Gasparilla which is Tampa's version of Mardi Gras. I hated it even when I drank. Lol

Everyone have a great night!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AliceTW View Post
I'm doing well, but getting angry a lot at being sober. I'm bored with it, and cranky that it's boring. I don't like the fact that I don't know if I'll be sleepy or not by the time it's 'bed time'. I hate that there's nothing to look forward to at the end of the day, it's like everything has become a big slog - slogging out the days waiting for it to get easier.

I've been through this before. My longest stint with sobriety was 5 months, and the boredom and anger sent me back. I regret it, but it's so easy to regret the past, so hard to suffer through the present.
That's exactly the hurdle I fell over on, I think I'm now in a better position to see it coming next time.

This has been said before but the marketing engine and the media drives home the message that alcohol is a treat, a reward that you can enjoy "anytime"! If you've had a crap day at work - you deserve a drink! If you have a great day at work - champagne! Want a quiet reflective moment - have a whiskey! On holiday - have some booze! Upset - have a weep over a brandy!

For alcoholics who are pretty amazing at rationalising drinking, we're force fed excuse after socially acceptable excuse for knocking some back, Mr AV laps these up and fires them back at us when you're least expecting it.

I need to start seeing the glass of booze for what it is, a poisonous, highly damaging and highly addictive chemical that just happens to be the Western World's drug of choice.

Why on earth would I want to reward myself for anything with a liquid containing such a poison?

Forwards not backwards.

*gritted teeth*
Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

stay strong this friday night everyone-we can do this

just think of happy sober Saturday tomorrow
Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know the media and social; pressure is pretty full on, but if we had a peanut allergy could any ad make us eat a Reeses, or a Snickers?

If we were allergic to seafood would we feel the same pull to head down to the pier for an all you can eat seafood buffet?

Acceptanceof what we are and what that means for us goes a long way to peace I think

We all know whats best for us - we just have to keep hold of that and not lose it in the tide of emotions that a Friday night can bring.

we're heading in the right direction guys

D
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
p***enger

Welcome back, Dee! How are you feeling?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

still battling...reduced hours for a while I think

D
Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Thanks all, good insights. It always helps to feel less alone, which makes me a bit of a jerk since it almost means I'm happy that others are feeling the same as me! But I know you all know what I mean when I say that it's nice to not be alone

Hey Dee, glad you're on the mend - keep up the fluids and rest up.

I had my Drs appointment today and it was very interesting. I have a habit of disengaging with the world, the dr reckons I brought it in as a coping mechanism once upon a time, and have turned it into routine. This might be why I am feeling so bored and apathetic - I've learnt to block out good, bad, everything. So I've got some exercises that will help me learn to live in the present again. He made a great comment about how thinking deals mostly with the future and the past, and the five senses are what ground us to the present. So I need to be more aware. Once that happens I can hopefully start to see that life is enjoyable.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I heard one good thing recently: it's what we focus on that grows.
What a great quote, thank you.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Dee, great post!!! Hope you feel better soon!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Friday eve here, watching American Pickers, after a ghost adventure marathon (cant watch shows like that with hubby around) and hubby closer to being home so I wanted to send a thank you to everyone for helping me get through a tough week. Even if your posts were not directed to me I took great strength from them, so thank you!
It means so much to know I am not alone and that others have/had/are going through the same thing. Again thank you!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hey Dee nice to see you back. Take care.

Goodnight class - cold weather has really knocked me out. Time for bed.