Notices

Class of December 2012 - Part 5

Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
p***enger

Morning all – Sunday here, sunny morning w/the snow still sparkling on the rooftops.

Tazzle – sorry to hear about your plumbing problems but glad you got the check in the mail. Something to be grateful for.

Newlife: I agree w/Ready you might want to look into AA meetings. A lot of people seem to form strong friendships there. If AA’s not for you, maybe there’s a class you could take at your local school? Art, language, cooking?

Awesome posts lately, Alice! I never did Facebook – scared of getting stalked by my checkered past, LOL. But I think that any supposedly fun thing that makes you tense & negative is a good thing to cut out of your new, sober life.

TTBABP, looking forward to your tome!

Hey Maples, your plan for the next few days sounds good. If my experience helps you at all, I’ll just share the following: I go to 1-2 meetings every day, talk to my sponsor every day, I don’t lie to my sponsor, I follow all her suggestions (except reading the Big Book, haven’t been very good about that, although I’ve read a little), and most important, I don’t have a drink. Every day. It’s still working for me. I’m not sane yet, but I’m sober.

Ready: Hope your angry feelings have passed a bit. What are you angry about? I suppose now that we’re sober, we’re going to find ourselves having to face some of those emotion-raising problems. Not yet, though, for me – I’m not “Ready”.
Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Courage-sorry I hope my comments didn't come across as flippant … I know decorating or baking won't help
Not at all flippant – my response must have sounded b*tchy – sorry. I take all suggestions seriously, and I’ve even been thinking about baking! I think all those things really do help!

BUT – I’m off this afternoon to a professional conference through Tuesday. Two nights away from home, husband, familiar meetings; two nights and three days of constant triggers. My tools for dealing w/this sober are mostly limited to calling my sponsor, SR, and a pack of cigarettes. That’s more tools than I had a month ago, though, so I guess I’m making progress. Wish me luck, everybody! I wish you an excellent, safe & sober day!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Welcome transform and newlife!

Maples - I had a thought yesterday of stopping at the carryout getting just a 4-pk or a 16 ouncer. It was a beautiful day riding my bike up to the plant store and thought how enjoyable a cold one would feel while playing with my new flowers. As I approached the carryout, I had to talk myself out of it because it would only lead to misery as opposed to a refreshing change.

Today, I'm pleased with myself for not making that decision to grab a pack. I would have woke up feeling like crap and body demanding more. That, in turn, would lead me to another beer run today, tomorrow, the next day and so on. Ultimately, I would not be able to perform work duties, get fired and spend unnecessary money on beer. My life is going to good right now to blow it! According to my app, I'm at 2 mths 9 days sober.

No matter how good I feel and get the ridiculous idea "I deserve it" or get so p*ssed off that I need it, I CAN NOT drink!

The good news is the cocky service tech showed up yesterday, put in new connectors and was on his way. I immediately called customer service and demanding a credit due to the inconvenience and irritation with their service. Alas, a $20 credit was issued.

Lots to do today before a new work week. Hope everyone has a great sober day!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

No matter how good I feel and get the ridiculous idea "I deserve it" or get so p*ssed off that I need it, I CAN NOT drink!
It will get you with any emotion, it doesn't care which one. Things are great! Let's drink! Things are horrible right now, we should drink. I'm so friggin' bored, maybe we should drink.

Enjoying Sunday morning here on Day 11, is nice to wake up at 6:00! on a day off and have the first thought be about making coffee instead of wondering how many are left in the fridge and how many minutes until the beer store opens. Hockey Day was great, my team beat up the other team, marinated a rather huge new york steak and some new potatoes and mushrooms. Ate all of it, which is so weird, less than 2 weeks ago if I could have even gotten 1/5th of what I had last night in me would have been unthinkable. So much nicer to look forward to eating rather trying to find something to force feed yourself.

Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Cat, what app tells you sobriety time?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a sober calculator here Maples - extreme top left hand corner of the page called 'sobertime'...

It's not an app tho...it's pretty 20th century

D
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
There's a sober calculator here Maples - extreme top left hand corner of the page called 'sobertime'...

It's not an app tho...it's pretty 20th century

D
Can't see it on my ipad, bummer.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

courage, did I miss something? I do not have any plumbing problems that I am aware of,, altho I will take the check!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry Maples - they removed the link...I'll get on to them about that.

it's here:

SoberRecovery : Sober Time Sobriety Calculator

D
Old 02-10-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by tazzle View Post
courage, did I miss something? I do not have any plumbing problems that I am aware of, altho I will take the check!
Oops! Sorry Tazzle, sorry Tam -- switching you up, my bad as the kids say.

I'm in Wash. DC wondering if I'll sleep tonight & wishing the glass of water by my bed had something else in it. Sigh. The freaking dog-n-pony show hasn't even started yet!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
p***enger

Dee, thanks for being online. Just knowing you're there is a help.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hey folks, quick check in for today. Home from work, starving hungry. Going to stick to my diet.

Went to the shop to pick up some soft drinks and was very tempted to buy non-alcoholic beer. I picked up a six pack of it and looked at it. Less that 0.5% alcohol in it. I put it back, but I'm still wondering about it. I know a lot of people say that it's just enforcing the habbit, but I am curious. I enjoyed the taste of beer, could I enjoy that without alcohol in there too?

Probably not the na beer, I'm sure it'd be awful. But now I'm afraid to try it incase it gives me a thurst, but I reckon it'll be fogging up my brain thinking about wanting to try it. Hello av.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
sorry Maples - they removed the link...I'll get on to them about that.

it's here:

SoberRecovery : Sober Time Sobriety Calculator

D
It freaks out if you write in in Australian format haha!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Afternoon all

courage -no it didn't sound bitchy at all-don't worry. how's it going in DC? hope you are doing ok. stick around on SR if you are feeling lonely.

Alice - I didn't really drink beer, wine was my poison. Tbh, I would avoid non alco beer or wine as the smell, look, feel of the bottle, association would be just too much and I would get annoyed that I wasn't getting the buzz. soon I would move onto the real thing. I know many people on SR say 'non alcoholic beer is for non alcoholics' There are so many thirst quenching, delicious other drinks out there which won't remind you of alcohol

Feeling crappy again today. Gloomy, down feelings. Is this just life or is it me. I'm at work and have little to do. I'm leaving soon and they won't give me any more cases now so just sitting here trying to tidy things up. just seems a pointless waste of time and of me as a resource but hey no one is listening Luckiy I have some personal days booked so that will help. just feel pretty useless.

Struggling at home too. I seem so impatient at times and feel like a bad mum and wife. Everything is up in the air. I am in the process of buying some land and it's going so slowly and every possible thing to go wrong is going wrong. We are supposed to be moving as soon as I leave work but the way things are going we'll still be here in 2/3 months time. Trying to give nursery notice and get junior RAL into a new nursery-just trying to make sure everything runs smoothly and to plan seems impossible

I know, control what I can and try not to worry about what I can't control but it's so frustrating.

I'm even getting thoughts of drinking. oh it's not that bad, you've done so well, you aren't too bad really. If you feel bad anyway what harm can a drink do? I won't drink-I just want everything to run smoothly and feel positive and happy. I know that's naive.

To top it all I've booked lots of spa treatments to make me feel better,money I can really do without spending but will maybe look better!!

Hope everyone is having a better day than me..................
Old 02-11-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

NA beer always led back to the hard stuff for me Alice. ...I've shared this before but it's worth another run:

it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought patterns.

I don't recommend it.
besides, that Coopers NA stuff you get in the supermarket tastes like bitter water shot through a soda stream.

D
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Dee-thanks,
Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Monday morning here. Hasn’t started off to badly considering how unhappy I am with my job. Guess I’d better count the little blessings.

Alice – although I do like beer – I was really more of a wine drinker. I tried alcohol free wine and found that it was AWFUL. It did not taste at all like my beloved beverage.
This would then lead me to REALLY want the real thing.

Ready – I am sorry you are struggling so much right now. This happens though. Life is a roller coaster for everyone I think but and when trying to stay sober the ups and downs seems even more severe. You need just hold on. Things will change. Please stay in touch here. I will send good thoughts your way.

Hope the plumbing issues have been resolved Tam.

Courage – doing this post in a word document. If I get it posted without follow-up post containing an expletive it means it was a success.

I wonder how Bernie and Charlie Noogan are.

Cat, NapsteR, WiFi, gonzo, Pixie, Maples, NewLife, lifeanew, kizzy, tazzle anyone else I forgot and Dee, of course – stay strong and be well.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Dee-thanks, i've been to the docs and got some counselling, started my first session the other day. They keep giving me different anti depressants, but i take one freak out a bit, thinking i'm gonna get hooked, and feel scared and then i stop taking them (this has happened 3 times) so i thought i'd try exercise (aerobic) so just joined a gym. Try do it the natural way.
Alice-Yeh a craft group sounds good. I only do a few hours on a Friday at my volunteer job so i only meet a couple of people there. I have no money left over after my food & gas so i'm struggling to even have money to do anything at the moment.
It was nice last night though as i went to a circuit class at the recreational centre and there was 20+ people there, so maybe i'll get to know people there while i get some exercise
Ready- I started going to the AA meeting locally on Wednesdays, there's only one meeting on per week and i can't afford to go to any other and don't really feel as though i need more than one per week as i like me time at home, and have lots of assignments to do for a part time college course i'm doing. Trying to get a sponser at the moment i've got a few numbers but just working out when/how i ask someone to be my sponser?! i've asked if i could meet up for a brew with one of them, but i don't ring her as i feel like i'm intruding.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Thanks TTBABP, I'm sorry you are unhappy at work too. I should be thankful I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I suffered from depression in the past and can feel it looming and rearing its head. I don't want to go to the docs as don't like anti-ds and the constant numb all on a level feeling I experienced before. at least when I'm not depressed I do feel really happy and anti-ds make me lose that feeling.

Newlife, I hope you enjoy AA. I used to go and whilst there are lots of meetings they aren't always local, as you say and not possible unless you have transport-maybe somone could give you a lift though, I know they do that round here (Lancs) though I don't go to AA anymore.

Still at work feel like a fraud now being on here when I'm at work. I'm off home soon and will be positive this evening. being nice makes me feel better
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hello all, had a busy weekend so couldnt check in like I would like to.

Alice- FB has caused more problems for me than i can count. A 110% came from step son and his wife. Mostly her, everything from accusations of abuse (aimed at hubby) to thinly veiled insults and hatred, ( aimed at me ). While I should unfriend her, being "family" I cant so I have the setting for her set to the point that i have to go to her page if I want to read what she is saying. I keep thinking/hoping she will kick us off, but so far she hasnt. We get calls anyway from people asking if we have seen what she has written,,, sigh. I no longer post, if I need to contact people I send them messages or call. I know FB has its good points, but it can truly tear friends and family apart.

Courage- I get people twisted around also, but not so long ago you could have convinced me I posted something while drunk and than forgot. Oh,,that does brings back painful recollections!!

Had a nice weekend, our weather turned decent so could open the doors and windows and get fresh air into the house, can't stand a stuffy house. Dogs got bathed, cars got washed.

Boss just called so I had best get working, .

Stay strong this Monday everyone!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Morning all, just a quick check in. Not much going on, just enjoying our brand new February long weekend (rest of Canada had it, this is our first year for it in BC). Nice that they added it, used to having New Years be the last one until Easter. Waiting for it to warm up a bit and going to clean all the road sand out of the garage and a few other things outside if weather holds.

Wifi how are you doing brother? Give us a quick note and let us know either way if you want.

Hope everyone has a good Monday.