Codependency and Beyond- Part 26

Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Smile

The Language of Letting Go
February 10, 2013

Letting Go of Sadness

A block to joy and love can be unresolved sadness from the past.

In the past, we told ourselves many things to deny the pain: It doesn’t hurt that much…. Maybe if I just wait, things will change…. It’s no big deal. I can get through this…. Maybe if I try to change the other person, I won’t have to change myself.

We denied that it hurt because we didn’t want to feel the pain.

Unfinished business doesn’t go away. It keeps repeating itself, until it gets our attention, until we feel it, deal with it, and heal. That’s one lesson we are learning in recovery from codependency and adult children issues.

Many of us didn’t have the tools, support, or safety we needed to acknowledge and accept pain in our past. It’s okay. We’re safe now. Slowly, carefully, we can begin to open ourselves up to our feelings. We can begin the process of feeling what we have denied so long – not to blame, not to shame, but to heal ourselves in preparation for a better life.

It’s okay to cry when we need to cry and feel the sadness many of us have stored within for so long. We can feel and release these feelings.

Grief is a cleansing process. It’s an acceptance process. It moves us from our past, into today, and into a better future – a future free of sabotaging behaviors, a future that holds more options than our past.

God, as I move through this day, let me be open to my feelings Today, help me know that I don’t have to either force or repress the healing available to me in recovery. Help me trust that if I am open and available, the healing will happen naturally, in a manageable way.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I had an awesome time, at the fundraising benefit, last night. My 2 clients were left in the very capable hands of Mr. D's other caregiver..she got extra hours, and *I* spent the evening with friends, good food, amazing music and it was all for a good cause!

Will be getting ready to go to church, in a few minutes, something I haven't done since I started working because normally I'd just be getting home

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

sending pink hugs & love to you all!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Just found out that "we" FAR exceeded the amount they needed to collect at the benefit. They were trying to raise $2500, so far have $18,000 and still counting

Had a great time at church, yesterday. Talked to a couple that Mr. D used to work for, at the airline, and not only were they tickled to hear I was his caregiver, I took a picture of them and he remembered them and our church!

His 85th b'day is tomorrow, and his daughter and SIL are taking both of us out to eat.

Lots of good stuff, and I love it

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Smile

February 11, 2013
Divinely Led

Send me the right thought, word, or action. Shaw me what my next step should be. In times of doubt and indecision please send your inspiration and guidance.
—Alcoholics Anonymous

The good news of surrendering ourselves and our life to a Power greater than ourselves is that we come into harmony with a Grand Plan, one greater than we can imagine.

We are promised Divine Guidance if we ask for it if we work the Twelve Steps. What greater gift could we receive than knowing our thoughts, words, and actions are being directed?

We aren’t a mistake. And we don’t have to control or repress others or ourselves for life to work out. Even the strange, the unplanned, the painful, and those things we call errors can evolve into harmony.

We will be guided into understanding what we need to do to take care of ourselves. We will begin to trust our instincts, our feelings, and our thoughts. We will know when to go, to stop, and to wait. We will learn a great truth: the plan will happen in spite of us not because of us.

I pray today and each day that my thoughts, words, and actions may be Divinely led. I pray that I can move forward in confidence, knowing my steps are guided.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
mergirl

I used this prayer today

Hi friends. Life turned a corner on me again. My mom has an aggressive brain cancer, I am her primary caregiver today.

I dont know how often I will check in, but I love you all and knowing you helps keep me sober <3
Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Smile

February 12, 2013
Letting Go of Those Not in Recovery

We can go forward with our life and recoveries, even though someone we love is not yet recovering.

Picture a bridge. On one side of the bridge it is cold and dark. We stood there with others in the cold and darkness, doubled over in pain. Some of us developed an eating disorder to cope with the pain. Some drank; some used other drugs. Some of us lost control of our sexual behavior. Some of us obsessively focused on addicted people’s pain to distract us from our own pain. Many of us did both: we developed an addictive behavior, and distracted ourselves by focusing on other addicted people. We did not know there was a bridge. We thought we were trapped on a cliff.

Then, some of us got lucky. Our eyes opened, by the Grace of God, because it was time. We saw the bridge. People told us what was on the other side: warmth, light, and healing from our pain. We could barely glimpse or imagine this, but we decided to start the trek across the bridge anyway.

We tried to convince the people around us on the cliff that there was a bridge to a better place, but they wouldn’t listen. They couldn’t see it; they couldn’t believe. They were not ready for the journey. We decided to go alone, because we believed, and because people on the other side were cheering us onward. The closer we got to the other side, the more we could see, and feel, that what we had been promised was real. There was light, warmth, healing, and love. The other side was a better place.

But now, there is a bridge between those on the other side and us. Sometimes, we may be tempted to go back and drag them over with us, but it cannot be done. No one can be dragged or forced across this bridge. Each person must go at his or her own choice, when the time is right. Some will come; some will stay on the other side. The choice is not ours.

We can love them. We can wave to them. We can holler back and forth. We can cheer them on, as others have cheered and encouraged us. But we cannot make them come over with us.

If our time has come to cross the bridge, or if we have already crossed and are standing in the light and warmth, we do not have to feel guilty. It is where we are meant to be. We do not have to go back to the dark cliff because another’s time has not yet come.

The best thing we can do is stay in the light, because it reassures others that there is a better place. And if others ever do decide to cross the bridge, we will be there to cheer them on.

Today, I will move forward with my life, despite what others are doing or not doing. I will know it is my right to cross the bridge to a better life, even if I must leave others behind to do that. I will not feel guilty. I will not feel ashamed. I know that where I am now is a better place and where I’m meant to be.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

((Lisa)) - I'm so sorry about your mom. Lots of hugs and prayers to you, her and all who love her.

Amy
Old 02-13-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Smile

February 13, 2013
Trusting Ourselves

What a great gift we’ve been given – ourselves. To listen to ourselves, to trust instinct and intuition, is to pay tribute to that gift.

What a disservice not to heed the leadings and leanings that so naturally arise from within. When will we learn that these leadings and leanings draw us into God’s rich plan for us?

We will learn. We will learn by listening, trusting, and following through. What is it time to do?… What do I need to do to take care of myself?… What am I being led to do?… What do I know?

Listen, and we will know. Listen to the voice within.

Today, I will listen and trust. I will be helped to take action when that is needed. I can trust God and myself.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Lisa - so sorry about your Mom - prayers of comfort for her and for all the family - especially for you as you are dealing with all as her caregiver ~

my friends I don't have much to say right now ~ somehow, someway, my phone or hubby's phone was hacked this wkend & stuff was posted on FB that should not have been posted ~ very very private stuff ~ I cried, I threw up and now life goes on. . .

Deactivated my FB account and have been staying away from FB and the internet ~

so anyway - you can send me an email or you can text me if you need me ~ i'll get over this soon I'm sure ~

pink hugs
Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

((Rita)) - I'm so very sorry. I hadn't even really looked on FB, but that's just horrible!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Lisa, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom. I remember the relationship between you is complex.

Rita, my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours, too. Having one's privacy violated can be devastating.

I'm doing really well. I'm doing my best to not allow any grass to grow under my feet, and I'm so grateful for all the opportunities presented to me
Old 02-13-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

((Chino)) - Glad to hear you are doing so well

So, another codie dilemma I'm trying to work through. Bratkin's sperm donor got out of prison a couple days ago and she's just having a BLAST with him, calling him "daddy" and seeing him all the time.

Most of you know the back story...he's an A, has been in prison/jail most of her life, his dad/sm have enabled him with a car, house, job every time he got out (not sure about this time), and he broke bratkin's heart more times than I can count.

I'm angry, want to remind her of all the times he hasn't been there, the times he lied or put her in danger, that he beat her mama. I know...it's not my place. I'm finding it very hard to be happy for her, to accept that maybe...just maybe, he will finally get his act together and be a good thing in her life?

I'm just keeping my mouth shut, at home, about it. I'm trying to pray for him and get over all these resentments, to have faith that this isn't going to adversely affect my relationship with her but it's coming slowly

AFGO, right?

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

((Amy)) on the issue with B and her dad - I have been down that road many times with my oldest daughter & her bio father ~ and of course we do that with our Sunshine & her dad too - remember "more will be revealed"

A daughter longs for that wonderful father - for that changed dad - for that miracle come true - that he really has changed and he is going to finally be all that he has promised he would be ~

I know I wanted the same from my dad ~ it took many many years and I was one of the lucky ones - it did finally happen ~

I know it's hard ~ try to allow her to have and make whatever memories she can with him ~ for tomorrow he may disappear and at least she will have something from him.

My girls talk about my ex ah some ~ how at least they have a few years of when he was partially sober ~ about some of the laughs, the good times and the fun. It is sad for them, but at least they have some good memories ~

It's not denying the wrong they did, the faults that they have, or all that they need to work on ~ it's just living in the moment - having the ability to enjoy the blessing of the day ~ kinda like when we have a brief clean time with our addicts ~ when know it may not last forever - but we rejoice in the moment and thank our HP for the gift.

I hope this doesn't come across as preachy - I truly don't mean it to be - I just see and am trying to teach our little one to enjoy the brief moments she gets with her Dad ~

He finally called her last nite after a little over a month ~ he told her about going to court again. . . I heard her tell him (and remember she's only 8 yrs old) "Daddy I'm glad for you trying to get your life together, I know it's hard, but when it's hard Daddy, pray - that's what you need to do." and then she talked to him about his job and told him she loved him.

afterwards she & i talked - she said ReeRee whether he gets his life together or not, he's my dad and i love him and I told her - Sunshine - whether he does or not - PawPaw and I love him too ~ and that's perfectly ok.

Just sharing from our perspective - hope that helps ~

love to all ~
pink hugs
Old 02-14-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

((Rita)) - Thanks. I really needed to hear what you've said.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Wow, that made me want to cry. So bittersweet!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

((Rita)) - Just wanted you to know that I've been absorbing all that you said, in your post, and it really has helped.

I called to check on aunt Phyllis, tonight (she's had a bad cold) and though SHE is feeling better, she told me uncle Bob is "on his way out" He's breathing 4-5 deep breaths, then doesn't breathe for a minute and has been doing this for 36 hours.

It's incredibly hard on her, and I told her I wished I could be there for her. She said "me too, me too" but she knows I'm just not in the position to come out there. Car is not running good and I just can't afford to drive to AR or take time off from work. However, I will work on getting out there later.

Always the strong one, she said "it is what it is, and I'm surrounded by love". I'm extremely grateful I've been able to get closer to both of them the past 6 years, and that dad got he and I out there last year. It still HURTS, and it's still going to hurt, but we will be okay and have lots of good memories.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Smile Wishing all of you a very blessed Valentines

February 14, 2013
Valentine’s Day

For children, Valentine’s Day means candy hearts, silly cards, and excitement in the air.

How different Valentine’s Day can be for us as adults. The Love Day can be a symbol that we have not yet gotten love to work for us as we would like.

Or it can be a symbol of something different, something better. We are in recovery now. We have begun the healing process. Our most painful relationships, we have learned, have assisted us on the journey to healing, even if they did little more than point out our own issues or show us what we don’t want in our life.

We have started the journey of learning to love ourselves. We have started the process of opening our heart to love, real love that flows from us, to others, and back again. Do something loving for yourself. Do something loving and fun for your friends, for your children, or for anyone you choose.

It is the Love Day. Wherever we are in our healing process, we can have as much fun with it as we choose. Whatever our circumstances, we can be grateful that our heart is opening to love.

I will open myself to the love available to me from people, the Universe, and my Higher Power today. I will allow myself to give and receive the love I want today. I am grateful that my heart is healing, that I am learning to love.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Smile

February 15, 2013
Control

Sometimes, the gray days scare us. Those are the days when the old feelings come rushing back. We may feel needy, scared, ashamed, and unable to care for ourselves.

When this happens, it’s hard to trust ourselves, others, the goodness of life, and the good intentions of our Higher Power. Problems seem overwhelming. The past seems senseless; the future, bleak. We feel certain the things we want in life will never happen.

In those moments, we may become convinced that things and people outside of ourselves hold the key to our happiness. That’s when we may try to control people and situations to mask our pain. When these “codependent crazies” strike, others often begin to react negatively to our controlling.

When we’re in a frenzied state, searching for happiness outside ourselves and looking to others to provide our peace and stability, remember this: Even if we could control things and people, even if we got what we wanted, we would still be ourselves. Our emotional state would still be in turmoil.

People and things don’t stop our pain or heal us. In recovery, we learn that this is our job, and we can do it by using our resources: our Higher Power, our support systems, our recovery program, and ourselves.

Often, after we’ve become peaceful, trusting, and accepting, what we want comes to us – with ease and naturalness.

The sun begins to shine again. Isn’t it funny, and isn’t it true, how all change really does begin with us?

I can let go of things and people and my need to control today. I can deal with my feelings. I can get peaceful. I can get calm. I can get back on track and find the true key to happiness – myself. I will remember that a gray day is just that – one gray day.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Amy - prayers for your Aunt & Uncle~ for comfort, peace and grace for all ~

I pray each of you feel your HP's love today as you walk your path ~
i love each of you dearly!