Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll catch up with your update later reeny

D
Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopingForZen View Post
Bounced, you nailed it today. Thanks for that. The thing I keep thinking about is why the heck it took me so long to figure it out. But it's okay. Better late than cirrhosis.
Now that's a quote I'll remember - better late than cirrhosis! Good one!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by terrazinaa View Post
Flyin2bfree, nice to have you with us!

sobrietygrl4, glad it's all working out fine. You have so much motivation to change your life and not ruin it again, you can do it!

ThatGirl66, I also started drinking to be accepted and "fun". I remember my first husband recorded me on camera a few times when I was drunk and having a blast... that was anything but fun...for anyone more sober than me...
Reminds me of one Simpsons episode, "The War of Simpsons" (season 2, ep. 20): Homer's version of how the party went, and then the real one.

Reeny, I hear you. I'm terrified of any events that might lead to a situation where I'll have to say "No" and watch others drinking. But that's the next step, and will eventually happen anyways.

I was surprised today how unimpressed my non-alcoholic friends were with my announcement that I'm quitting drinking. "Oh, you had drinking problem? Italian soda is a great substitute". I thought with alcohol always in my mind everybody else notices it. Apparently, I was wrong.

And silly good news for me today. My soda making machine arrived! Now I can carbonate my own soda, mix it with juice, or add some syrups. Made a bottle with orange juice just now... it tastes great!
I came across a recipe for Sham-pagne!
250 ml soda water
1 measure lime cordial (read the bottle mine said 50 ml to 250ml liquid)
1 measure elderflower cordial (again as above mine said 10ml to 100ml liquid)
3 drops orange blossom water (I found it health food shop) does not taste anything like orange and is very strong
Lots of ice
Good way to join in without regretting it later.
Another cheat tonic water ice and lemon. No one but you and server knows there is no gin in there.

Hope this helps. I am on day 11 now depression hit last night and has not gone away. I have been battling my weight for a long time gained weight over Christmas not losing anything got to weigh in at dietician Wednesday and scared I am going back to the start with the weight. I had lost 2 stone (28lb) but now it is only 1st 3lb (17lb) I am on anti depressants I think I need to chat to gp for some advice/help.

Well done everyone keep up the good work.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

How do I find the calendar?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.

An Amy Winehouse (RIP) song came on the radio yesterday. She was one of the few artists recently with whom I could fully engage (a lot of stuff in common, huh?). Some people simply don't make it out the other end of this and that's a tragedy.

Let us try and ensure that each and every member of this group gets through today sober?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

the sober calculator Lisa?

It's at the extreme top left hand side of the page - the link is called 'sobertime'

D
Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Day 2.

Got to work Weds, coat off sat down, morning... Manager comes in, who had desperately been trying to catch me first (yeah not that hard) and the short story is I'm not being kept on after my 3 month probation. Nothing to do with my work, it's just they don't have the work apparently. They've tried to juggle things to see if I can do a few hours for them and a few hours admin stuff for another manager but, they can't see that working either and are very sorry and I can leave now if I want...

So I left in floods of tears, drove home in tears, walked into the shop in tears and bought booze in tears...

Still teary now!

Yes I know I should have stopped and taken some time to think and deal with it another way, yes I know life is going to be full of disappointments that I'm going to have to deal with... but I didn't.

I am so completely gutted. I'm never going to find another part time job in school hours any time soon, I was up at 6 this morning emailing the open university to see if I can use my old courses as credit transfer towards a degree or diploma as I NEED to be doing something.

Pffft so that's me
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Or M, don't punish yourself to much, it's done now you can't change the fact you had a drink and truth be told, I probably would have done the same with such unexpected news when your feeling so fragile already.

At least you can take from this..... drinking don't help anything, it won't give you your job back, but it will give you a stinking hang over.

Your on day 2 so it was a slip, your back here posting and your already actively looking forward by contacting the uni.

It's going to be tough the nextcouple of weeks but it's the start of new beginings all round.

Stay strong x
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Mytimenow hang in there glad you are back and posting that's a good sign.

You can't change the past but the future is there to be written.. Great idea about looking up courses its always good to have something to focus on

Stay strong and hang in there and like Dorris said earlier font beat yourself up to much early recovery is fragile and I also would have been drinking before registering what I was doing.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

have saturday morning planned so i cant be hungover.
its really cold outside so i know not many of my friends will be going out.
stay strong all

just walk past liquor shop
just a moments courage
Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope you'll find another job M.

D
Old 01-11-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I feel invisible.

I asked for help. Nothing. Feel very alone.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hey Lisa, what bugging you?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure what you mean Lisa.

Do you mean here or elsewhere?

D
Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Thanks guys Still feel a bit shell shocked, very low that's for sure. The hangover wasn't too bad as thankfully I reached a - this is completely pointless moment and went to bed.

Trying to think positive. I'll work some more on my CV tonight and get it uploaded to some of the job sites. I'll have to put it on as it's recent work experience and I'll get a good reference (I should think!) It just looks rubbish that it was only for 3 months. Definitely going to restart with the study job or no job as that will be part time too. Just hoping I'm not too late for funding as the courses usually start in Feb!

What's up Lisamum? I'm here for half an hour if you want a chat then need to pop out and do some shopping. Hope you are ok.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

See we're like buses lol 3 turn up at once
Old 01-11-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Are you having one of them days, nobody cares about me??? I have them all the time

If so good on you for reaching out. It will do you no good festering on your thoughts, they will drag you over mountains and back and you still won't feel any better.

I re-read your post, 1st time I thought you sounded very postive with your receipe for sticky moments and you know you need to make an appointment with the doctor.

With regards to your weigh, I'm sure it will come off again everyone gains at christmas it's to be expected. try not to put to much pressure on yourself. I'm 3 stone over weight so know only to well how your feeling, I must be the only alcoholic to gain weight after quiting drinking.

Keep your head up hun and stay strong x
Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Fdm

10 Days and counting. I haven't been sober this long for awhile. My AV snuck up on me yesterday on an inspection at a convenience store. I ran into a local fast food joint manager who was picking up a 12 pack of Bud while telling me rough his day was.

I could almost taste the Bud. However, something clicked in my mind. I thought of what if his business were to catch on fire tonight, or a robbery, or any other emergency? He would not be able to respond, and would likely lose his job. That's a risk in this economy. I also thought of how nasty smelling and tasting Budweiser actually is.

So, to put the AV to bed, I stopped by my home and picked up my sneakers and took a brisk 30 minute walk around downtown from my office. Once I got home, I was good to go.

I'm also finding myself much more tolerant of coworkers who I have despised in the past.

I'm winning!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fdm View Post

I'm also finding myself much more tolerant of coworkers who I have despised in the past.

I'm winning!
Maybe the feeling was mutual if you were hungover and grumpy JOKE!! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> runs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sorry! >>>>>>>>>>>

Really glad you are sounding so positive and winning Fdm
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fdm View Post

I'm winning!

I was surprised how tolerant I was with my sister-in-law who I have despised in the past lol

And well done for kicking your AV into touch and telling it to do one