Notices

Class of May 2012 part 16

Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey, FP, I love the spiffy pink Lambo I'm still driving around! However, I do still want to ride in the same wagon as the rest of the Mayans so I will save the marvelous ride you lent me for special occasions;-)

Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Happy Saturday, May mates! I hope everyone is having a great day in sobriety. Got a few errands done and snagged a few deals with coupons. Always like those coupons where you save a dollar or more. Had a whole list of things to do today, but felt a little lazy. Made a few phone calls and talked with 2nd mom, who’s feeling much better. Also spoke with a few family members, but good lawd, I’m so tired of the feuding. Thinking we’re making a bit of progress in that arena, though, which is a nice surprise. We might actually test the waters and get the whole gang together in the spring, which will be the first time in over a year. It would be great to see my young niece and nephew again. Crossing my fingers that the adults will act like adults. Time will tell.

(((Tanja))): I hope all is well with you, my friend. Based on Saskia’s suggestion in post, I truly hope my post didn’t upset you, either. If so, I am sorry. I think the world of you, Tanja. You are such a strong and courageous woman. Big hugs of love to you.

KittyCat: Congrats on the 80+ sober days! Thanks for the pic, too. I noticed the guitar in the background... do you play? Willa and Crispin must have siblings living with me, because stuff like plant shenanigans is business-as-usual in my house, too. Big hugs to you for handling friends and family bringing up your past drinking deeds. I can relate completely. I think people who care about us can help to keep us both humble and on the right track. All we can do is show them by our actions that we are better people now than back when we were intoxicated. Jeni had some good advice for you. 2Phat! Love that, yo! Fo’ shizzle!

Saskia: Glad you got a healthy laugh from Too-Fat’s image of misbehavior. Until your later post, I hadn’t considered the topic to be offensive, but…? It’s tough to gauge a reader’s reaction when we can’t reach out and hug people for real. In other news, we can put a tow bar or hitch on the sober station wagon if you’d like to keep your pink Lambo close.

Teacher Jeni: I hope you were able to sleep in today after all of that late night shotgun race activity. I laughed that your daughter is bringing up past “trauma” about a kitten in her childhood. Just can’t win sometimes, even when you mean well. Sorry that you and hubby are fighting. The awesome thing is that neither of you is drinking, so it’s an honest and pure show of emotions. I find that I learn the most from an argument in the time spent afterwards in reflection. Hugs to both of you.

OneLess: Nice, heartfelt advice to Jeni. How are you feeling today? I remember you mentioned a cold possibly coming on. Tea with honey, snuggy jammies, and chicken or turkey soup might help. Wishing you a good sleep tonight.

COAlpha? Lilac? WeHav? Dweller? SoberJane? Uninvited? Auden? Candi? Super-Crew? Easyrider? Flicked? GingerBeer? IllNeverTell? Iwant2? Luling? Peyton? Pink in a poke buddy? Seahorse? TedPlante? Harpo? Where did you all go, May mates? Please send us a post or PM when you can. We are missing you!

There is a very good chance that I will be accepted into one of the largest and most well-established orchestras in the region! I applied and was then invited to join them in their first rehearsal of the season in two weeks. Apparently, they have an unusually large French horn section (5) so I would be able to learn from veteran players. I may be required to audition, so I hope my skills are up to snuff enough. Being an orchestra member would be really cool.

More laundry awaits as Part 2 of yesterday’s cat capers. (Psst! You-Rock has 8 sober months tomorrow!) Keep up the terrific sober strength, everyone. Love and hugs to all.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

FP that is amazing news about the orchestra!! I'm so happy for you and proud of you. Your sober strength and caring nature towards others, especially this group, is returning big rewards and you deserve every one of them. You were correct. I am in full blown battling cold mode. One sides runny-stuffy nose, chapped lips. I'm quite a sight. Didn't stop me from putting away Christmas, prepping to paint the last bedroom, and going for a walk to see the seals at a nearby beach. I'm paying for it now though. But thank you for asking
Old 01-05-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

FP, that's super news about orchestra!

Also, yes, it would be nice to tow pink Lambo so I can sneak a very fast drive now and again

Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Saturday Evening

Had a busy Saturday, doing well in my sober journey. Each of you have a wonderful Sunday.
Bloss
Old 01-06-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I will be the first to admit that I really suck at keeping resolultions. So much for posting at least every other day! It took me an hour to read all the posts I missed in the past five days!

I did an amazing thing this week that I REALLY have been meaning to share with y'all, but between work, working out, and this, my time is GONE.

I went to an AA meeting.

And I loved it.

I found a women's group that I LOVE. Instead of it being a bunch of stuffy business types, people mandated to go, folks who judge/preach (which I all imagined), I found a group of women ranging in age from 20 to 89 from all walks of life who were open, friendly, willing to share their own personal stories...and it REALLY rocked my world.

At my first meeting, I came out that it was my first...the 89 year old lady received her 50 year chip. The group leader asked her to reflect on her 50 years sober and she literally took us from starting drinking at 18, having 9 children, a husband in the military who was always gone, WWII, writing bad checks for alcohol, going to jail for a year for it in the early 1960s, discovering AA, all the folks she's sponsored through the years (many were at this meeting) and it freaking blew me away. The irony of the situation was not lost by me or anyone else....They were all like "Do you know how AMAZING it is for you to witness this your first meeting?" And I'm not like a "it's a sign from God" type person...but let me tell y'all...it was a sign from somewhere.

This lady was in a wheelchair, gray haired, half blind and half deaf, and a total bada*s. While she told her story I cried and cried and cried. I loved it. I took the white chip. Everyone hugged me...as in squeezed the crap out of me. I was overjoyed. The outpouring of compassion was spectacular and moving unlike anything I've ever experienced.

If you've ever considered going to AA, but your AV has been telling you it's crap, just get off your tail and go. You'd have to be a serial killer to not be moved. And you could very well have a spiritual experience, like I did. And I'm not a Christian or spiritual experience person.

Speaking of serial killers, I've been waking up at exactly 4 am (no alarm) for no reason every day this week...like in horror movies when the ghost of so-and-so, evil demon whoever or the recently-escaped-from-jail wackjob has resurrected and the person who is about to be nuked/haunted/possessed/sacrificed/etc. awakens in a startle at the same weird hour of the night leading up to the critical incident. So since it's still dark, I figure it's a good time for a nap, ever though it's 6:15 in the morning!

I'll be back soon!
2m
Old 01-06-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Sas - No need to apolagize! I thought FP's comments about FatCat were funny. I haven't posted much in the past few days because of exhaustion due to the chronic insomnia.

FP - You didn't upset me at all! Your posts always lift me. That is wonderful news that you may be accepted into a prestigous orchestra It clearly speaks volumes for your talent. Sobriety brings great rewards doesn't it? You are truly an amazing woman - giving up caffeine, smoking and drinking.

Kitty - I too am a worrywart. I think a lot of us with drinking problems probably do tend to worry over things. I think just recognizing it is a first step towards lessening it's grip. Fortunately, I haven't had the experience of someone ribbing me about past drinking experiences. That I think would make anyone uncomfortable. Congratulations on 5 days of being smoke-free. That is amazing!

Jeni - You are a rock! You are doing so well with giving up smoking and growing on a daily basis. Growth can be a scary thing because we are now dealing with uncharted territory. You are doing an incredible job of tackling so many issues in early sobriety.

OLL - I hope you start feeling better soon. Try and rest up and take care of yourself.

HRB - I hope you are taking the time to rest up too. I know for me, stress is also a huge trigger to drink. I think the "HALT" acronym should be "HALTS" - Hungry, Angry, Lonely and Stressed!

The past few days have been pretty rocky for me in terms of not feeling well. Yesterday I did finally manage to sleep in until 8:00 a.m. But, just a few hours later - my head was throbbing and I had intense sinus pain. I took a short nap, was up for two hours and then down again. I was up at 4:00 am this morning, but I feel a lot better. I did get an email from a point of contact (the woman that rescued Peyton) with the rescue group. Essentially she said what I already knew. That Peyton would be very difficult to place. Even more difficult than she realizes. The poor thing has a host of issues; allergies, going ballistic when you try and walk him and housetraining. Actually the message gave me peace of mind. My intution was right all along. I do need to discuss the matter with my husband. Peyton is not going anywhere and I don't want to be placed in that situation again. All I can do at this point is increase the training, limitations and boundaries. One day at a time - that is all we have to do!

Wishing everyone a wonderful sunday
Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good morning, Mayans!

I'm a bit tired - woke up at 3:30 am and have had 1 cup coffee, 1 cup decaf and worked on my latest jigsaw puzzle. I knew there was no way I was going to fall asleep again! So I'll probably try an afternoon nap.

Tanja, sorry you're not feeling well. I've not had much sinus trouble but I know others who have and they tell me it's miserable. Sorry also that there are no good placement options for Peyton though as you noted, not surprising. I hope it will be possible to help him get past his challenges.

2mags, great that you found a good AA meeting. My experience has been mixed. When I went to an all women's group about 15 years ago it was very helpful. When I went back this time, the makeup and tenor of the group had changed. I attribute that to two particular women (both elderly) who seemed to feel it was their duty to dictate what the rest of us must do to stay sober, to wit, go to meetings every day and they believed that one cannot be considered sober until one has worked all 12 steps. Those two items may be helpful but it turned me off that these were being spoken about as if they were absolute requirements to be successful. I do believe that AA does help many people. I am happy that there are also alternatives. I'm glad you shared your experience so that those who are leery of AA can hear about positive experiences, too. IMHO, it can't ever hurt to go to a meeting to see if it works for us.

To all of our Mayan boat-mates, have a great day :-)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 8 MONTHS MILESTONE, YOU-ROCK!!!

Mammoth is joining you in skiing full-speed as we whiz past each month in beautiful sobriety! Absolutely awesome job on the sober strength, good buddy. Much love to you.

Elephant-Skiing.jpg
Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Rock, buddy on your 8 amazing sober months!!!

It's tough to beat FP's awesome pics. Mammoth looks thrilled to be skiing downhill in your honor :-)

And do I have it right that FP hits the same milestone tomorrow?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

HRB: Big sober hug and congratulations on 8 months!

Everyone have a great Sunday
Bloss
Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

HRB-congratulations on your 8 months, that is seriously cool!!xx

2mags-so pleased you enjoyed your meeting. They don't do any women's meetings near where I live unfortunately. It sounds an inspiring time for you x

Tanja-sorry you're not feeling so good. Hoe you make a speedy recovery x

H and I have spent the day together and there's an uneasy peace here at the moment. Nothing has been resolved and I'm still seething under the surface. Not good for me. Yes, these are unchartered waters as tanja put it. I just give in usually but I just don't want to do that. But I feel guilty because I know that at any point yesterday I could have stopped this escalating by doing my usual diverting, smoothing over, accepting of what actually is entirely unacceptable.
I'm sure it will be ok. I love him very much, but at the moment I just don't like his behaviour sometimes.
But change takes time, and growing is a lifelong process.

Anyway, tucking the emotional marital disharmony away for the moment, I'm starting back at work tomorrow. Another big change. Nervous, but not overwhelmingly so. We will see, it will be very strange to be tucked away in an office rather than actually teaching.

Love you all loads.

I feel I'm changing so fast I can't keep up with myself!!x
Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Oops, sorry, forgot to commiserate with you Sassy on your insomnia. Know it well, it's a bummer. Hope you sleep better tonight xxx
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks, Jeni. I shouldn't really complain - it doesn't happen very often now; I think that back when I always had severe insomnia unless I was knocked out with Mammoth-style drugs, I developed a psychologically severe antipathy to any insomnia!

I hope the change at work goes well for you and am glad you had some good "down" time. Rapid changes can be exhausting and exhilarating but they do slow down when you need them to.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

FP - You are amazing in keeping up with our milestones!

HRB - Congratulations on 8 months of sobriety:day6 A year is right around the corner! Your dedication and commitment to sobriety has been a huge inspiration for me.

Sas - I hope you get afternoon nap! I know too well waking up early. I was up at 4:00 am this morning. I did manage to lie down for about 2 hours. I think the past few days it was just pure exhaustion. Yes, I agree with you about AA - there's a fair amount of dogmatic, rigid one way, that's the way I did it - therefore that is the way you have to do it that is a real turn-off. I just ignore it.

Wishing everyone a wonderful afternoon.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day 168/28, and my head is in a better place today. And it's down to acceptance. It struck me that the stuff that had come back to me, hadn't come back just to mess my head up. The point of it was to understand things. The problem was that while I got understanding, the implications were something I just didn't want to accept. I suspect that the noise in my head... scratch that, it definitely didn't help the noise in my head. And while all this was going on, I was putting a lot of effort into not giving in. Which is fine, but I was starting to withdraw. Part of me wanted to talk about what was going through my head, and part of me was terrified how people would react, so I said nothing. And I started to get scared. Or perhaps I should say, more scared.
So yes, I can accept those implications now. And today my head has been a lot quieter. It's too soon to say how whether I've turned a corner or not.

kittycat - Cats will climb anything, well some cats will. And I remember that we gave our christmas tree away when I was working in Belper - actually I think it became the office tree - because our younger cat kept climbing it and pulling it over.
And yes, the flashbacks can be very difficult. All we can do is remember that we aren't going to do those things again. In some ways, it brings home the whole unmanageablity thing. We have to take what we can learn, and leave the rest behind. Difficult, I know, but...

Jeni - Is having an argument a step forward or a step backward? In some ways, it depends. It's easy to get to a place where there aren't any arguments because things get left unsaid, or because we sidestep them, and in that case it can be definitely positive.

fp - good luck with the orchestra. That sounds great.

onelesslonely - hope the cold gets better soon.

thursday, bloss - glad to hear from you.

2magnolias - glad your AA meeting went well.

tanja - hope you feel better soon. And yes, one day at a time. That's all we can do with anything.

saskia - hope your nap was a good one.

hitrockbottom - congratulations on eight months.

As for me, I'll be having a relaxing bath later, and maybe watching a bit more 'Mock the Week'
Hope your day's been good folks, and that life hasn't handed you anything too awkward. Sometimes I think our higher powers have more faith in us than we do.
Love and Hugs to you all. x x
Old 01-06-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Glad you're feeling stronger today Em xx

I'm off to bed, the plan is that I will sleep through the night....

Life sure is complicated sometimes. Maybe one day I will get it all figured out?! I just wish everything would just stand still for a moment so I have time to work out what I'm supposed to do! My boss just sent me a text to say she's poorly and not going in tomorrow, so on my first day I've got to chair an important meeting and interview 2 applicants for jobs....never done either before. This position could well be way too difficult for me. I only got into teaching because I've the same thought processes as the kids!! Running a school?!? A disaster waiting to happen...

Still, I'm sober. I'm strong. I'm going to do my best.

Love you all loads xxx
Old 01-06-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go HRB

D
Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Grats HRB!!

Sweet dreams jeni and good luck tomorrow. Remember to post here first if it very stressful or you feel shaky at all.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Congratulations FP in your 8 months!!!

Loads of love to you all xxx