Notices

Class of December 2012 Part 4

Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Ready - I did not know what a profiteroles were. I googled it. Oh my - how could you not have them. I would definitely lose that battle.

Hey gonzo - good to hear from you. Hope all is well with you!

Courage - vent all that you need to. Do anything it takes to get through the urges. Sorry you are having a bad time of it right now. I had a bit of an urge for a beer today. I was visiting with my brother and we usually have a beer together. In the past I have been able to do that with him - have one or two with him and no more. I know that I cannot drink at all though so I didn't. You just have to do whatever you need to hang in - one day at a time.

Cat - what was the temp at the beach today? Its 32 degrees here now. It is supposed to go up to 51 during the week though. Good for you for exercising. Everyday I say I'm going to start back exercising so far its an empty promise.

WiFi, Tamerua, Elly, Napster. Lifeanew, GirlfromCO, Bernie, kitkat, tazzle, beherenow, Charlie, Alice, mittens, Dee and everybody - sending good thoughts at you all!!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kitkat1 View Post
Congrats, Wifi. I've never heard of a group where you got a chip every day until 30. Wow! If that wouldn't teach me humility, nothing would, lol.

Glad you're doing better, Cat. I think of you often. But to save my life I can't imagine lying on the beach right about now - it's cold here in Mississippi. Ah, this country of ours - so much diversity.

Later, ya'll. Take care.

Kat
courage - Stay strong and post often... Keep yourself busy... This too shall pass!!!

Here in so cal, at the beginning of every meeting anyone with less than 30 days of sobriety is asked to stand and identify themselves and their disease. Supposedly it is not to embarass you but so the others can get to know you, however when you've been going to the same meetings for 10 years plus, I think it is more of an embarassment...

Glad your feeling better Cat!!!! Thanks everyone for the kind words...

Big SHOUT OUT to everyone... Have a safe and sober evening...
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi all! Day 8 today, woo Happy about that, and happy the weekend is almost over (did I just say that?!?!) I had a rough night sleeping last night, and then slept in until after noon today (I am usually up at 7.30am on weekends), so that has thrown me way out. I feel out of sorts and uncomfortable, but I have my day ahead of me (or the half that's left!). I've got some assignment work to do for a distance education class I'm doing, and then I'll go to the video store and grab something to watch this afternoon.

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Hi everyone,

Today has been kind of scary. Bad dreams. Back in NYC, the real world facing me. I don't know why. Solid all day wanting to drink. Went to two meetings. Seems like the people with months & years of sobriety are dealing w/personality issues, relationships, life -- I'm just dealing with wanting a drink! I'm missing the warmth, the taste, the feel of it on my tongue. Thinking, "I could get away w/drinking late at night even though my son is here w/me, or in the morning." Thinking, "I know I can't make it in the long run, so why not just give in now?"

I have this weird headache that I'm coming to associate with repressing my cravings.

Having a cup of tea. Trying to focus on now. Sorry, just need to vent these bad thoughts.

Hey Courage :ghug3 Vent away! My biggest issue with drinking has always been 'drinking'. I never drank because of a bad past or a bad present, which made it difficult for me to come to terms with the fact I couldn't stop since I never had a "good" reason to drink in the first place eg the family struggles you mentioned. It doesn't make me any weaker or less worthy of sobriety though.

One of the things my psychologist set for my "home work" last time I saw him was to start recognising and identifying my personal physical reactions to cravings. He said it's common that people visualise drink or drinking when they get a craving, and I told him in the session that I don't do that. Since then I've realised I actually do every single time. So it goes to show how unaware I have been of my body during the cravings - it's just the brain taking over screaming at me. I don't know where this is leading (I'll find out why I'm doing it in the next session I guess), but by focusing on my body during the cravings and writing down the things it is doing it helps me be more clinical about the cravings, rather than emotional. For example my top lip starts to prickle - sweat maybe? And I often get hunger pangs. These things are interesting and help me to realise it's a craving.

Keep staying strong.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Evening all. Had a down day today. Wondering if "the novelty" ofbeingsober is over for me. Anyone else gone through this?I have re read some of my posts. Yippee skippy. Not feeling so positive now. Feel like I've smacked down by bus I didn't see coming, I don't want to drink , never have when I'm down. But I don't know,,,tomorrow will be a new day. And I will get through it. Keep on keeping on so they say. I cant go back to what I was. I know that inmy soul. So I best pick myself up and out of this mental place. Thank you for letting me babble talk to ya"ll tomorrow
Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks everybody. I feel like somebody stepped on me tonight. Just way too tense all day. I distracted myself w/cleaning & errands. Now I have a bunch of bills to pay that piled up while I was out of town. Will get through those, take some ibuprofen for my aching neck, and crash.

I'm pretty sure I know what's going on w/me -- I'm dreading going back to the office, and some people I'll have to deal with there -- but it will take some time to resolve. So I'm just trying to be patient w/myself.

I hope everyone has a peaceful night.

Tazzle, just saw your "down" post & had to edit to say, I hear you. We've been downers together today. But we're still here to post about it! Sleep well.

Last edited by courage2; 01-05-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Hey Courage, dealing with craving a drink is the same as everyone dealing with life, just another aspect of life. Glad you went to meetings and distracted yourself... Man. Distractions. My floors have never been so pet hair free! Lol keep it up!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the novelty of being sober does wear off...and days can hit us like a bus sometimes...

but I wouldn't worry this is the new normal or anything...it's just a bad day like anyone has, I think

Hope tomorrow is better for everyone struggling
D
Old 01-05-2013, 11:08 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Morning all

Courage-sorry to hear you are having a bad time. Have you tried reading Rational Recovery-AVRT? It may help you. It distinguishes between 'you' who doesn't want to drink and your 'beast' who does want to drink.It teaches you to recognize your 'addictive voice' and you are then better enabled to deal with it.As they say on these threads,take the bits that are helpful.

TTBABP-that made me chuckle.No more sweet things for me today! How are you doing? are you having a better weekend than last?

tazzle-I totally understand.Think I mentioned earlier this week I got sober twice last year and at around 30-40 days,despite feeling great was feeling of 'is this it', and then 'oh one drink won't do any harm'. For me,I don't know if it was boredom,a bad day, overconfidence, lack of fear, thinking I wasn't that bad or just a lack of putting enough into my recovery. I'm cautious/aware now as at 30 days but NOT going back there. Hopefully a combination of exercise,healthy eating and reading about positive thoughts/actions/mindsets will encourage me to embrace a whole new lifestyle this time. Maybe you were just having a bad day or maybe it's trigger to maybe look at doing something extra to keep you strong in sobriety.

kat,bernie,cat,wifi,alice,tameura -hope you are all ok.sorry if I've missed anyone

Day 30 - Thanks for all your support and help guys.I don't think I would have got here without you.

Now to concentrate on what the next 30 will bring.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Ready

D
Old 01-06-2013, 01:38 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Ready! Well done on the big 3 0. We will be with you for the next 3 0.

Tazzle I am with you on feeling a bit down so am keeping things brief, but we are not alone! (I don't mean that in some weird ufo, kind of way - just that other people are feeling the same!)

Courage - yes, I go back to work on Wednesday and I suspect this is my reason for feeling down at the mo, I haven't done this work without drink yet. It will be a new and tedious experience!

Off to eat chocolate - will catch up later!

Bx
Old 01-06-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee & bernie

Sorry to hear you're feeling down Bernie. Maybe book a day off work for later in the month or Feb and do something nice-that's what I did last Monday on my first day back Looking forward to things helps keep me positive.chocolte always helps too
Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I agree that maybe the novelty of being sober does wear off. We work so hard intially and each day we get through withou resorting to alcohol is an accomplishement its our focus. As it mercifully gets easier we have to learn how to deal with life not just not drinking. I don't know if I'm saying waht I mean correctly but tazzle, courage and bernie - Dee, as usual, gives good advice its just a bad day.

Ready - thsk I am feeling much better than last weekend - I guess those were my bad days and now I have some good. I expect there will be more bad ones down the road but now I know they too shall pass.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
p***enger

Morning, class (kind of late morning where I am -- I need to start getting up earlier!)

TTBABP, glad to hear your "down" time is past for now. I'm taking my day slow to start, trying to do some work on my arms w/light weights, situps --then I'll get some more exercise walking back-and-forth to meetings, ha! I figure it'll take me less than 4 months of sobriety to pay for a decent treadmill with booze savings, if I want one.

Hope everyone is well today!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi Guys

Just a really quick post, first day back at work, and not a good look if I'm late lol.

Feeling positive again, have been eating well and exercising, I love walking early in the morning, before people are out and about. it really sets me up for the day, It's so peaceful. Love it.

Tazzle and courage hope you both are in a better space now. It does pass, for me I just had to ride out the storm.

Readyatlast - Congrats on 30 days. Awesome

Have a fantastic sober day my class of December friends
Old 01-06-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hey Guys & Gals!

The last several weeks I've rather been out of it and not 100% keeping up with y'all. (this was NOT due to drinking, of course).

I'm finally getting my motivation level going and trudging through the training which is a nightmare with all the files, downloads, toolbars, etc. Today I got so pissed I almost ran for a pack but took a deep breath and went for a walk. My special place is a swing by one of our lakes where a lone pelican hangs out. It's quite peaceful and helps clear my mind.

courage - didn't you just start a new job? I can't remember from a couple weeks ago who was venturing with new job opps. I know how stressful office environments can be with people that are less than pleasant to be around. I guess that's why I have stuck with online work - don't have to deal with people.

Tamerua - hope you're getting over your bug. It's NO fun but it does beat a hangover or withdrawals.

Ready - grats on the 30 days!

TTBABP - it was close to 80 today but decided to spend the day studying instead of the beach. Good luck getting into an exercise program. I find myself with more energy and feel so much better after (as opposed to watching my waistline get BIGGER!)

Elly - think "punctuality"! Good luck with the job.

Alice, beherenow, lifeanew, kitkat, Napster, gonzo, wifi, Bernie, tazzle, Dee and anyone else I missed, have an awesome day!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Quick check-in... I hope everyone is doing well...

Ready - Congrats on 30!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Big "shout out" to everyone!!! I hope everyone has a safe and sober day!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi All

Sorry to hear everyone's on a bit of a downer or not well, I've been feeling the same too, wondering whether turning myself into a miserable bugger is worth not drinking. Amazing how quick a meal or fruit juice / natural sugar kick can turn that around sometimes, prb why its so easy to pig out on sweet stuff??

Today went really well, got to London about 10:30, walked over the bridge past the Houses of Parliament, heard Big Ben chime 11:00, then walked to Buckingham Palace and saw the changing of the guard, then up to Pizza Express just off Trafalgar Sq. and then in and watched the Lion King, apparently the show worldwide (at the time the programme was printed) had clocked up 33,000 shows worldwide, I'd love to know how much Elton John has coined in in the last 13 years it's been running, lucky chap that he is. Got back at 19:30, kids in bed. All fine then?

Need your judgement call on this - we sat down for the meal, me - tomatoe juice, couple of people on the wine, my brother, sitting opposite and looking slightly rough orders a Bloody Mary. Halfway through the meal I pick up his Bloody Mary and take half a straw full before realising that I've not picked up my straight tomatoe juice!!! My brother says "hey, I don't mind" I say "I do - that's my bloody 36 days drink free down the pan!!"

No more booze was had and this sip was purely by accident so I'm letting you guys be the judge as I don't want to not mention it.

What do you think, still Day 36 or back to Day 1?

Bernie, this will cheer you up, a couple of people have asked how the two remaining dogs are getting on without Kia, I think this pic says the Pixel is thinking "you're not taking this one too, I'll sit on it to stop you!!"

Love (manly where appropriate) to all!

A
Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

btw my brother's BM was just Tom juice with a slug of vokda in there, wasn't a full blown worcester & horseradish sauce and a stick of celery in there so looked identical to mine!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Napster-I'm off to bed but just wanted to respond to you No no no not back to day 1 at all. It was an accident. You had no intention to drink,no plan to drink, no desire to drink. You sipped at the wrong glass by accident and as soon as you realized you put it down. You've not failed at all-still on day 36

edit- It could easily happen to anyone-don't beat yourself up
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think relapses are premeditated NapsteR..accidental ingestion is just an accident

D