Notices

"30 Days and Under Part 4"... Come & encourage them!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberjim View Post

Pork chops in mushroom sauce with mashed pototoes for supper
This was my dad's favourite dish that he always made for us when my mom was at work. Still love it to this day.

Just wanted to pop in and tell you guys that you're all amazing for being here and taking control of your lives. Alcohol is the devil. Don't give in to that damn AV telling you it will be so much easier to just drink. Because it won't be, at all. You'll just have to start all over again. If you can hang in there for just a couple of months, everything starts getting seriously better. Your life will improve. It really will. In ways you never expected. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish when 80-100 per cent of your time isn't spent drunk/hungover/thinking about alcohol/getting alcohol. You will surprise yourself and discover new ways to make yourself feel happy and healthy. Bad stuff will start disappearing from your life, and bad people too. It's really amazing and I really wish that you all get to experience it.

But first, you have to NOT DRINK!!!!!!! Just don't do it! For one more day.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, and sparkling mineral water with lime wedges is a really good booze replacement. I bought it by the case the first few months. Try it! Can't hurt.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone -- may I join? Today is my ninth day sober. By far my longest stretch in the last 18 years. I was feeling great until yesterday (1st day back at work after the holidays). I don't even know how to do this thing called life without getting drunk every day....

Feeling a bit depressed and very alone today. I will try to go to an AA meeting this weekend, just to try reaching out to people who can relate. Right now I am quite anxious about the weekend; typically I'd start drinking shortly after waking up, maybe pass out in the afternoon, wake up and keep on drinking. Jeez, I actually felt sick as I typed that. What have I been doing with my life?!?! ugh, I'm feeling a lot of that as well. Mad at myself.

I will keep trying! Trying to stay positive, and focus on the good things.

thanks everybody
Old 01-04-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Guy's and Gals you lot rock....I ain't wasting my 29 days just for a poxy beer...Hell no....See ya all tomorrow on my day 30.....Steve....
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Jim - your dinner sounds deliiiiicious) Have a good workout.

InParticular - thank you for your post! I can relate - when your time and energy in not consumed by alcohol, it's like new sources of power open up.

LittleNina - Welcome here! Congrats on Day 9! How to do this thing called life without getting drunk every day? First, take in one day at a time, even an hour at a time. Then, day by day it will be easier, when drinking fog goes away and your mind and body recover. Plan ahead your weekend, keep yourself busy, be sure there's no booze in the house. Focus on your sobriety. It's really worth it!

Stevie - I'll see you and your 30 days tomorrow)

Best wishes to all.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Quick check in... Still buried here at work...

Stevie - Stay strong you got this... I am looking forward to my 30 next Thursday... Congrats my friend!

Welcome LittleNina - Congrats... Keep up the good work!

EternalQ, Grace, MidnightBlue, InParticular,Dee, et al - Hope your all having a safe and sober day. I really appreciate all the support you guys/gals bring to the table here at SR!

Big shout out to everyone else... I'll be back soon when I have more time!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Just calling in to say goodnight.

I got a bit of a shock today, when I was at the soft play area I went to buy the children some juice and snacks and myself a cup of tea. Right there in front of my eyes was a huge poster advertising the new licquer coffee's that they now sell!! WTF! this was a children's play area catering for children under the age of ten! I don't get it, am I missing something?

Midnight, you're so right about them being loud, my ears are still ringing. The oldest one could whisper over 7 fields.

Jim, that sounds so tasty, I have a bit of a thing for mushrooms, I love them with anything!

I.P thank you for popping in, lovely post. Sparkling water with a slice of lime is my drink, I love it, so refreshing.

Welcome to the Under thirties, little Nina and well done on day 9. Take it one day at a time, sometimes even one hour at a time, baby steps all the way. Be kind to yourself, drink lots of water to rehydrate, eat as well as you can, sleep or rest when you can and read and post here as much as possible. The weekend is a danger time for most of us and the way round it is to plan ahead and change your routine, go for a walk, clean your cupboards out, anything that is different to your usual routine. We're here for you 24/7 and the chat rooms are also available if you are desperate to talk to someone.

Loving your attitude Steve. Kick ass all the way!

Sleep well unders
Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Nina, so happy to have you here. The beginning was tough, but like people said, one day at a time. Sometimes it's an hour at a time. Sometimes I had to say to myself I will stay sober for just this ten minutes, and if I want a drink after that I can have one. The cravings passed after ten minutes, so I was okay. I think it was more of a habit than an addiction, that was the tough part. A glass of wine while I cooked. A little for the cook, a little for the pot. And then that time when all my work was finished, and I could sit down and relax with a glass of wine. Or the trigger of stress, and just walking in the door and having a drink was oh so nice.

But you know what? Now that I have been sober for 49 days, I barely even think about drinking anymore. It is just a distant memory. No longer do I get all wistful when I drive by the place I used to buy my wine. And I remember buying six bottles at a time, and wondering what the check out woman thought of me. I wondered whether she thought I was having a party, or that I was a drunk. Ehh, I didn't really care that much, but I still wondered if they noticed how often I bought those six bottles. All that is gone. I don't have to worry about it anymore. And my life is getting so much better now that I have all the time back, all the hours in a day that I wasted in a fog. I can't really explain it, but every day my life is getting better since I quit drinking. I am wanting to do many more healthy things for myself that I never thought about doing when I was a drunk.

Good luck! Glad you are here.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi everybody -- can I join this group? Today is/was my 19th day. Doesn't sound like a lot but it's felt like it. I recognize some good peeps posting here -- wifi, eternalQ, grade, midnightblue, and I remember Junebug from a short-lived effort to be in the November class last year.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hey Courage! Big congrats on 19 days! It's HUGE to me. I remember you well! Come back and join the November thread if you want, everyone would be so glad to see you. Several people fell off the horse and got back up and rejoined the thread.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

:ghug3
Originally Posted by LittleNina View Post
I don't even know how to do this thing called life without getting drunk every day....

Feeling a bit depressed and very alone today. I will try to go to an AA meeting this weekend, just to try reaching out to people who can relate. Right now I am quite anxious about the weekend; typically I'd start drinking shortly after waking up, maybe pass out in the afternoon, wake up and keep on drinking. Jeez, I actually felt sick as I typed that. What have I been doing with my life?!?! ugh, I'm feeling a lot of that as well. Mad at myself.
Hi Little Nina, I'm new here too For what it's worth you're absolutely not alone in how you're feeling. I had the same weekend routine as well, and had the same shame because of it. I used to get very hung up on the shame of drinking, but a few things (some said only a few days ago in here!) have helped me. Number 1) You're not a bad person, you've just made bad choices. Number 2) Everything you're ashamed or feel guilty about has happened in the past. Focus on the future.

It's very embarassing to admit this but every night I go through a list in my head of at least 3 things I did that day to be proud of. At first I could barely think of anything, and it's mostly little things, but it's helped me. Stuff like "drove past the bottle shop and didn't go in" "fed and walked the dogs" "ate a real dinner" "spoke to a friend" "went to the shop and didn't impulse buy" etc. gradually the list is getting bigger and I'm starting to embrace the good things about me

Hi Courage I recognise your name already, and I've only been here less than a week. Look forward to seeing you around
Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
p***enger

LOL, Alice TW, I keep a list (actually, several lists) --but one I call "points" is like yours-- at the end of every day I write down the good things I did. Here's my Christmas day:

1. Expressed gratitude
2. Watched birds
3. Called mom
4. Visited sister & family for 15 minutes w/gift
5. Bought groceries & cooked
6. Never freaked out

I'm really NOT into ambitious goals right now. That was a pretty big day for me, lately.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

lol that's cool Mine are similar. I used to set huge "to do" lists for myself every day, and never accomplish them. For now I have no to do lists, I just do things as I think I need to, no pressure.

I've also got a "Worry Box" where at the end of the day if I'm having trouble sleeping I make a list (on an app on my phone lol) where I write down everything that's worrying me, and tell myself that I can open the list in the morning and work on it then, but there's no need to keep worrying about it tonight. It has worked wonders to help me sleep.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Half way through day 30 here....Off to work in an hour until 10pm tonight....No chance of drinking today even if I wanted to.....Steve...
Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi folks I am still around, but I was super busy this week. God Bless all of you.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone!

Junebugapril and AliceTW, it is nice to know I'm not alone, and very encouraging to hear that it will get easier! Physically, I feel amazing, but it's the emotional/mental stuff that still gets to me. Even though at times I feel happier than I can ever remember, there's still lots of guilt and shame. You are right, though-- we are not bad people! And, I am REALLY starting to get the 'one day at a time' thing; I didn't quite get that before. Or like you said, even 1 hour at a time, etc.

Gratitude and celebrating the positives is so important I think, and I love the idea of a daily list(s)!

Awesome... you guys are just awesome. Thank you.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi everyone... I've been too busy to write. I still have big extended family holiday gathering this weekend believe it or not. Just finished desserts and have to pack up the car etc now. Sorry I've been absent.

Bur Stevie wanted to say I am SO happy for you!!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

20 days today....one day shy of 3 weeks. Longest I've gone without a drink since I was probably 16 years old (30 now). Weekends are a little rough since I was used to cracking first beers around 4 pm and drinking until I passed out, but I've been reading and working out more. Drinking diet snapple or soda at night and watch some movies. Have a sober GF which makes things easier. Getting there...
Old 01-05-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Welcome to the new folks, and a big "shout out" to everyone else...

Hope things are well with everyone... Just returned from my Sat morning men's stag and breakfast with me sponsor. He said he can see alot of change over the past few weeks... (at least someone is seeing progress)...

Hope everyone has a safe and sober day!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
AA Member

GO WIFI! So glad to see you are doing so well. Keep up the good work.

Kat