Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 10

Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Tanja I have tried a few different AA meetings and a few weeks ago found a beginner one that I really enjoyed and picked up a big book. I am pretty shy and it makes it difficult for me to get confidence to get into a meeting but I'm workin on it. Sounds like you had a nice NYE!

WWG glad to see you back posting again. Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 01-01-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Undies! Let 2013 be sober and happy year for you!

My neighbours had merry loud parties and kept we awake till about 7 a.m. And I slept almost till noon,

So, my ten-day-NY-holidays maraphon is just at the beginning, and I have Xmas ahead. I'm planning just a cup of hot chocolate and my gratitude for Xmas. And I'm coming back to regular life tomorrow, why to wait until official holidays are over?

It's astounding how taking alcohol out changes a lot of other things. Like you take out a detonating charge out of the whole system. No alcohol - no urge to eat a lot of unhealthy food - no regrets after - no hangover - no wasting money on booze - no self-pity - etc.

Nicky - glad to hear that you enjoyed the Hogmannay Party, spend a lovely evening and resisted all the 'attacks" of your friends and her new Alcoholic drink. You know, on my first days, when I red posts of other SR members who were writing about great time that had sipping water or juice at parties, I thought "Oh, come on"))) Now I can totally relate to this. Who new!

Tanja - congrats on your pink chip)

WWG - welcome back and congrats on sober NY, sounds like a good start. Keep posting, it really helps.

Midlifecrisis - welcome here!

And my best wishes to all the Undies)
Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Happy New Years undies! Quiet night for me. And back to work today which luckily has turned quiet. I have been busy with my brother staying with me, but he left today. Although I'm sad to see him go, I'm happy to get back to my normal routine. Which includes SR! Going to get my treadmill back inside and put back together to get more regular exercise. And of course I want to eat healthier. So I feel like I have a guiding path on where I want to go. Wheras the Christmas and New Years weeks were chaotic, and I was more reactive than proactive. I can't wait for spring as this bitter coldness is miserable. But overll doing well and still sober. Hope everyone is having a good first day of 2013!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

WWG:

Wishing you all the best in 2013, and most importantly, true sobriety.

I respectfully suggest that you have a candid discussion with your therapist to explore inpatient or outpatient treatment for your drinking. It appears that you may be one who needs much stronger support and a structured program to move you past the stumbling blocks you continue to encounter.

Success breeds success; conversely, the cycle you are in can set you up for continued failure unless something changes significantly. It is time to try something different.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

20.05 New years day

Good evening my lovely undies, first chance I've had today to post with the other half being off too etc, he's in the other room at the moment watching a film and O has gone out with his Daddy to see his other Grandad and he's not back yet, any time now!
We've just got back from my parents. we had tea there with them at my Mother's insistance and I can't believe how chirpy my Dad is today, it was like having 'my Dad' back again. He slept last night again and he was singing and chatting to us today, just like his old cheerful self and he didn't even nod off, I feel so much better in myself for seeing him like that, if only it could last.
It's been good today, being sober and I enjoyed having a peaceful quiet night with those that were here, at Midnight we watched Big Ben strike midnight on t.v, kissed and wished each other a happy new year and watched all the Chinese Lanterns and the fire work display that was on at the pub just down the road from us. Very nice time had by all.

MLC, you're so lucky having the support of your husband, that's a massive help. If you want something badly enough you'll get it, so keep focused and plan ahead for your danger zone times. Plan how to avoid them, how to do things differently. We're all here with you.

Thank you R.Z and a happy new year to you too.

Nicky the party sounds great and I'm so proud of you and I bet those gorgeous girls of yours are too. Don't envy you the airport run though!

HI Boozefree, I hope work went well, you're doing great so stay as strong as you are. Keep working at it. I didn't even drink when I was your age, I was always a late developer, lol, but you are just amazing. It's great that you've found a meeting you enjoy and by the way, I am really, really shy too, so I know where you're coming from. It's quite surprising actually how many of us here are introverts.

Tanja, I did manage to get a lie in this morning so I'm not too bad, still tired but I just think it's recent events catching up on me, when I did get to sleep I had one of those awful drinking dreams, not had one of them for weeks.
As from today I'm giving the sweets and junk food a miss, I've just prepared my food for work tomorrow, weetabix and fruit for breakfast and a tuna salad and fat free yoghurt for lunch plus soup.
Your getting quite a little collection of those 5 month chips, well done you.

WWG. It's really good to see you back posting, I have been thinking about you and I hope you and your family had a good Christmas and have a happy new year. I'm really glad to hear you had a good talk with your wife and I'm sure she will be happy to support you. Right then, this is day one of the rest of your life, you know what you need to do and you know where we are, so get doing it.

HI Midnight. my neighbours were very noisy too, but there again they always are. It seems so funny that you have had New Year and are now waiting for Christmas, when we had it last week.
That post you started last night was brilliant, I think everyone appreciated it. Thank you.

Oll, nothing wrong with a quiet night, beats being out drunk any day. I was in work yesterday, off today then back in tomorrow, unfortunately.
I'm looking forward to spring too and the days getting longer, it always makes me feel better once I see the spring flowers beginning to show and hear the birds singing in the morning.

I'm off to catch up on my other posts now but I'll be back tomorrow

I hope you all get a good night sleep and that includes me and you Tanja.xx
JUST FOR TODAY, I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hey OLL lovely to read your post and glad you're doing well. Sounds like you have a great positive plan for the future. Family are great to have, for a while always nice to get back to a normal routine.

Slim slim Good advice, may be harsh to hear WWG but for your on happiness it's definately worth pursuing.

Midnight You are gonna have the best Christmas ever. With every post you make you sound stronger and happier. Great stuff! All the very best wishes for the holiday period.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Good Evening Undies:

Sounds like everyone had a nice, sober New Years Eve. Mostly a quiet evening for myself with the hubby and pets. I did have a nice bit of sparkling apple-cranberry cider to toast in 2013. I am looking forward to the coming year with optimism rather than dread (due to alcoholic drinking). Take care everyone, wishing you all the gifts which sobriety bestows.
Bloss
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, my dear Undies. I found out that I'm starting Day 80 today)) I really doubted at the beginning I could do it through the New Year. One day at a time and your help worked wonders.

I slept till noon again, it'll be a lazy day.

I'll see you later)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hello All

This is my first post on this section, I've recently "graduated" if that's the right phrase from the Dec 2012 class and as that thread's been moved, this one looks like the next logical step!

Drew back the curtains on Day 32 this morning, amazing bright pink dawn fading to orange, will be working from home for the rest of the week before work proper starts again with a very full diary next week so that should keep me busy.

Have been using cigarettes as a bit of a crutch since stopping drinking, only 2 or 3 a day but the rest of those went in the bin this morning so going it solo now save for mutiple cups of tea!

Drinking urges seem to have faded today, almost like being suddenly aware of the silence when the air con in the office shuts off out of hours or the clothes drier in the house stops. Now I think I'm onto the boring hard graft bit of "Filling the Void".

Stepping up the work out / running stuff, from zero to something which funnily enough the endorphine rush following is pretty much identical for me as the ramp up feeling I got afte getting through half a bottle of vodka in under an hour. It's sure harder work to get the excercise rush but a hell of alot easier than trying to explain why you're passed out by lunchtime!

Very much looking forward to 2013
Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

New Year's Day didn't turn out as well as New Year's Eve. My husband started drinking and was belligerent and angry. I did manage to go to a AA meeting with my nephew. When I got home I let the dogs out of their crates. Peyton (the problem child) started to get into it with Sammy. I yelled "help" for my husband. My husband charged down the hallway. I didn't see what occurred. But, I know in the past he has been aggressive with Peyton by lifting his crate up and down and shaking it. He said that he tried to get Peyton off the bed and that Peyton went after him twice. He punched Peyton in the nose and managed to get him in his crate. I asked my husband that if Peyton went after him - how he did not get bitten. My husband claimed that he was fast. I believe he was overly aggressive with the dog and that if Peyton really wanted to go after him he would have. He told me he wanted Peyton gone. I do recognize that Peyton would do best in a home with no cats and where he is the only dog. My husband had talked to the rescue group that we got him from a few months ago and the woman told him that she wanted something in writing to attest that he is not a danger to humans. So, I sent her an email requesting that and trying to get the number of the rescue group. My husband kept charging in the room and saying that the dog had to be gone in a week, that he had a gun and would take care of it himself. I explained three times that I had emailed the trainer and rescue group. He said it was all bull. I spoke with my sponsor. She is not an animal person. She was telling me to get rid of not just Peyton, but more of my animals. I basically told her that I rescue animals and that I do not get rid of them and getting rid of Peyton will be a huge trigger situation for me. I have never gotten rid of a dog that I have owned and loved for years. I also told her that animals were my passion, much like her faith. She has said things that have really pissed me off. I did tell her I didn't like discussing the animals with her. This is going to be a big loss for me and bring up huge guilt feelings for me wondering if he is going to end up crated 24/7, ending up in a shelter and being euthanized. The stress my husband is heaping on me is not helpful either. Needless to say, I awoke at 3:00 am and couldn't go back to sleep. I am hoping that my husband is more reasonable today without the alcohol in his system. Thank you for listening.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

09.50 Wed

Good morning precious Undies

Posting from work where I really enjoy being, honest! I didn't want to get up this morning, I'm really not good on cold, dark mornings.
Day 1 of healthy eating today and I'm going to finish the remaining bit of coffe I have in work and that is it, no more!

Slim, we must have been posting at the same time last night as I didn't see your post. Some good advice there, as usual, for our WWG. You said it as it is!

Morning Nicky, I'm glad Christmas and new year is out of the way now and I can get back to some sort of normality, whatever that may be. When are your girls back in school?

Hi Bloss, that apple cranberry cider sound delicious, I've never tried that. It's wonderful to know that you are facing the new year with optimism, that's a really positive attitude. I hope we all stick close here, it's such a caring group.

Midnight, wow, 80 days is amazing, I can't believe how fast that has gone. That is just so brilliant. Good for you getting some sleep too, you must have needed it.

I'm off now to get a bit of work done but I'm sure I'll be back.

Stay safe and sober Undies
JUST FOR TODAY, I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things I can correct and accept those I cannot
Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Wed 10am
Warm weclome to you NapsteR. Congratulations on your sober achievment at such a difficult time of year. We've got a great bunch of sober friends here who have been a tremendous support over the festive period.

Midnightblue Bet you feel great after that much needed rest. Enjoy your lazy day and what better way to celebrate your 80 days milestone. Congratulations! I can almost hear the delight in your voice.

Bloss Great to hear you enjoyed your New Year and especially to read your looking forward to the future with optimism, that's fabby! It's been a difficult, mixed emotion time for a lot of us here but proud and delighted to share this sober journey with yourself.

Went to bed last night with a bumper headache which is still throbbing this morning, not unlike the feeling I used to get when I was drinking. Urgh, makes me cringe when I think back. Not going to let it stop me as got lots to do. My daughter whose birthday was on Boxing Day is having a day out tomorrow at the Extreme Karting with all her friends, kinda like a birthday party just a little later. She always misses out on her birthday because it's so close to Christmas. Due to my clear head these days I was able to organise something, so grateful I'm sober now.

Take Care Undies and catch you all later.
x
Old 01-02-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, Tanja. Sorry to hear that you had such a stressful day. It is really bad aftermath of holidays - people drink and then make life of the close ones tough.

I don't have pets now, but I had a dog for 15 years, and it would be tremendous stress for me if I had to get rid of it. I hope once influence of alcohol ends, your husband will change his mind. Sometime people don't even remember what they say or do when were drunk.

Maybe, you can find some local or internet community where someone can give you a good advice how to deal with the situation when a pet and a member of a family have some issues together? I just don't know much about this.

I hope things will be easier for you soon. Take care.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Dearest Tanja what a horrible situation you found yourself in. I can fully sympathise with trying to deal with an agressive drunk man.My heart goes out to you. It's hard enough dealing with our issues on this sober journey without this added stress which would probably have been handled by your husband differently if he was sober.
I'm praying that everything has calmed down once he is sober.
I'm gobsmacked at your sponsors response. Animals merely react to the given situation. I feel she would have been more beneficial to your welfare had she addressed your husbands behaviour and not the DOG, for goodness sake.
You must have been terrified at the time. Take care and thankyou for sharing what happened, very brave of you. We're all here for you Tanja. Take care and let me know how it goes.Stay strong and sober.
((hugs))
xxx
Old 01-02-2013, 02:42 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi tanja, that sounds like a whole load of grief you don't need right now and can't be helping, sorry to hear you're in that situation.

We have 3 dogs, unfortunalty the eldest, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier needs to be put down in the next week or so, we got her as a rescue dog 8 years ago and she's been amazing but was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago and now has 2 big seeping tumours on her leg and at the base of her tail and is visably unhappy now, spends most of her time sleeping and you can see she has pain when she moves. Very sad, she's the first dog I had and the first one I've had to let go too so feel for you.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:52 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, again, Undies.

NapsteR - welcome to our sober abnd! And congrats on your 32 days of sobriety!

Grace - Shame you have to work today. Health eating sounds great, it has a lot of benefits. I'm trying to get rid of cookies in my nutrition too - will be my 2013 challenge)

Nicky - sorry you had headache, it can be real torture. I bet your daughter is all excited about karting, it's so much fun. Are you going to do karting yourself? Have fun.

Bloss - optimism is somthing we surely need in the New Year!

Have a great day.

See you later)
Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Back again, a few of us must have been posting at the same time again before, maybe.

Hi Napster and a massive welcome to the 'Undies' as we call ourselves. We have a great bunch of people here and you'll get lots of support, we talk about all sorts as well as our drinking problems. Well done on day 32. that is huge.It's lovely to open the blinds in a morning and notice the beautiful colours of the world, unfortunately its still dark yet when I get up, so I have that pleasure to look forward to. It does get easier with time and the urges lessen and become weaker, so stick with it, it will be worth it. Sorry to hear the bad news about your poor Staffy, my brother has two staffy's are they are so lovely. It will be heartbreaking but at the end of the day, you have to do what is best for her and doing that makes you a good parent, you've done your best by her and gave her a good caring home. Treasure the good memories.

Nicky, I hope your headache lifts, it's a horrible feeling.
It sounds like you've got a fun day planned for tomorrow with the extreme go carting, she should enjoy that. Don't work too hard today.

Yes Midnight, shame I have to work, I really want to be here, not!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

My dear Tanja

My heart goes out to you and I hope everything had quietened down, what a horrible start to the new year. No wonder you didn't sleep.

I would think that a lot of what happened with your husband was due to the alcohol in his system, I bet he feels like sh*t today and probable can't even remeber large chunks of what happened.
I agree with you that Peyton probably would be better off in a home without cats and it would make life easier and more relaxed for you, but I also know how hard it would be to let him go, he's a big part of your family and you love him. You have to do what's best for you and best for him, think about it carefully and weigh up all the pro's and con's before you make your decision.
I don't think that it is your sponsor's place to tell you what you should or shouldn't do where your pets are concerned, that is your business. She is there to listen and empathise and help with your alcohol related difficulties, not to pass judgement on how you run your other life.
If she's not an animal lover anyway, she really won't understand and if you get on with her otherwise, then probably the best idea is to not talk about your pets full stop with her.

Be strong and stay focused, things have a way of working out.

lots of love and prayers to you. ((( )))
Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi Grace Missed your post earlier. Bummer you've got to go back to work so soon. I'm not back 'til Monday. Looking forward to getting back into a routine and healthy eating again.
Hope your day goes by quickly and just to say after your scary moment re the drink urge I think you've done amazingly well over New Year. Go Grace!

Napster It's no easy task deciding when to let go of your beloved pet. My sympathes. Take care.

Midnight Sadly I'm not getting to karting, I'll be there but it's for the kids only this time....haha Hubby and I are going to add it to our to do list as he's now decided to stop drinking. So we'll be looking for plenty sober things to do together as he's quite an active person. This'll be great for me, him stopping drinking plus exercise.

x
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Nicky, yes it's a proper bummer being in work today, lol, but at least it's the last one for this week then off until next Tuesday, not that I will get much rest as I've got the three cherubpests tomorrow and Friday!
I'm fine now Nicky, no urges at all, stress has always been my biggest trigger but I'm dealing with life and all it throws my way much better now I don't drink.
What great news about your husband giving up the booze too, I hope he sticks with it, it will be so good to be able to work together on this.

See you all later.