Notices

Class of December 2012 Part 3

Old 12-26-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Struggling... saw an ex today with a new girlfriend. Im not at all hung up on him and glad he has someone but it made me very aware that I am alone.

Also, really struggling with some work today and finding it all very frustrating and just want to cry and....well...you know what else I want to do :-(
Old 12-26-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Mittens, Lulu & courage - I think what you are feeling is normal early on. We had become so used to celebrating/grieving/realxing, etc with a drink that it does seems like we should reward ourselves for not drinking -but what is our customasry reward - a drink. It will just take time to readjust to our new lives and find good healthy rewards that will satisfy us. You are not alone in feeling like this. Keep fighting those urges. It has got to get easier.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

ultrabunny - hang in. Just get through today. Tomorrow will be different.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Lulu and Courage - it is nice to know it not just me. Doesn't make the AV go away, but at least reminds me it is the AV!

TTBAPB - Thanks for the support.

Today has just been very hard. Twice I have gone on work-related trips to courts - and both time it has taken all of my will not to stop and grab a little something. Have a liquor store right across the street is going to continue to be one of my big struggles. But so far I have managed. Barely, but managed.

Thanks all. Stay strong Lulu and Courage. Knowing that you guys are out there fighting too makes me want to stay strong. I don't want to let you guys down.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I'm feeling despondent too. Maybe it's just that after the hols lull.Normally would be numbed with more alcohol.Now nothing.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

ultrabunny -- hang in there and cry if you need to. Personally I always feel better after a really good cry.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fdm View Post
Day 1 begins on Christmas morning. All of the open bottles are poured out. I still have one sealed one, but I will either give it away or put in my emergency preparedness stash.

I admit that I am resentful today. I have some family issues with my mother and father and other family members. I think it's pretty damn sorry that grandparents, regardless of how they feel about the parents, would shun their grandchildren for Christmas.

I cannot, will not, and shall not count on them or my extended family for anything. This has been building for years. I've seen greed, selfishness, and depression from my parents over the years, and I'm not participating in their drama.

Please keep me in your thoughts. I need to be "happy" today for my kids and in-laws.
FDM. I feel your pain. One of my triggers to drink is anger so I had to work extra hard yesterday when my kids got gift cards and all of the others received ( beautifully wrapped) gifts. I've been in this family for 25 years and I know it will never change.
Hope you had a great day!!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Ok... is it only me but I don't know how to quote just a small section of someones post?? I see the quote and multi quote but can't figure out how to use them?? Help!!!!
Is there a tutorial because I can't fid that either....?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

@ Lifeanew - I thought it was just me!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Wow... Took the day off yesterday from SR and soooo many new posts... Awesome...

It sounds like most everyone made it through the holidays safe and sound... SOOO COOL!

Seannie, CharlieNoogan, Cmack, beherenow - Welcome to the Class of December!!! We are glad you are here!!! Post often. There is great support here at SR!

Welcome back - PeaceHappyness, Fdm, backbeat - Way to get back on the horse and keep going. Please stick with us!!!

gigi0310 - You just joined! Welcome... We can always use another fantastic member to the Class of December!!!

mittens2020, lulu, ultrabunny - Stay strong!!! You can do this... We are all pulling for you!!!

Big shout out to everyone else...

We did the Christmas morning thing at my parents and we all watched UP as a family (that was fun). I spent pretty much the rest of the day yesterday watching Season 1 of Son's of Anarchy (I love that show) on my new Ruku box that my wife got me for Christmas... Wow how cool is streaming netflex... It doesn't look like I'll ever be bored again but I may turn into a couch potato... (Better than an alchie I suppose ). It kept me out of trouble and out of my own head... My sis-in-law flew in late last night with her daughter... It was sooo good to see them (my wife's twin)... Anyhow we were going to all go and watch the Hobbit but the next showing after she arrived wasn't until 9:00PM and we figured with a three hour show and work today that probably wasn't a great idea... So here I am working, excited that we all made it through Christmas sober!!! I am hoping we will all go tonight and watch it...

Anyhow I am starting to ramble... I hope everyone has a safe and sober day!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Made it through the holidays with no alcohol! Day 17 today and feeling great physically (aside from the cold I've developed). Emotionally, not so well - but doing my best to deal without giving into the AV.

Will be attending my second AA meeting tonight and looking forward to it. Another member bought me a Big Book last week (despite my protests) so I think I will do some homework and peruse the reading for tonight before I go. This way my contribution to the discussion isn't just comprised of rambling on the spot like last week.

Congratulations to all in this Class that survived Christmas without the crutch/curse of the bottle!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Fdm

Well, drats! We couldn't go to the movies because the wife had invited my adult daughter and her boyfriend over at 345 PM! The movie began at 1PM.

Now, I have another day of entertaining for the holidays, which I really do not like, and I've never done sans a stiff drink. I'm pissed but holding it in.

I should have gone to work today.

I am so ready for 2013 and the end of the holidays.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Quotes 101

The basic quote reply is to click on "quote" of that person's post (lower right corner) and it will take you immediately to the reply box with the entire post.

In order to post only a section of the post, highlight the text you do NOT want to appear but leaving the beginning and end of the original quote.

These must remain within the text:

The first part of the quote begins with: [QUOTE=user name;xxxxxxx]

The end of the quote needs to remain: [ /QUOTE ] *there are NOT extra spaces between the brackets. Shown for informational purposes only.

Multiple quotes/multiple people:

If you want to do multiple quotes (from multiple people), click on the middle button (") between "quote" and "quick reply button. (lower right of the post)

After selecting the multiple posts you want to quote, click on "Post Reply" at the bottom of the thread and all of the posts will be displayed in your reply box.

You can then edit OUT the text you want omitted from your reply.

That concludes the basic Quotes 101 tutorial.

Please feel free to leave a quarter in the contribution jar.

edit: always click the preview button before posting to see the outcome before actually posting.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fdm View Post

I am so ready for 2013 and the end of the holidays.
Awww, bummer with the change of plans. And I agree 100% to get the holidays over with. To much hoopla with buy this, buy that, entertain here, entertain there, drinks here, drinks there....

Enjoy your day regardless
Old 12-26-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Day 1 again :-(

It has been a strange few days with sober Xmas in middle but feeling surprisingly positive about making this my last day 1.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome beherenow and backbeat
I hope anyone feeling despondent feels better now

Don't worry about the 'pushups' Courage - as long as we remember a drink is a bad idea always and we're ok so long as we don't take the first drink, nothing can hurt us.

Sorry to hear you're struggling DogMum...any ideas on what you think you need to add to what you've been doing?

D
Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

FDM - sorry to hear you did not get to spend you day as you had planned but I guess we all have to be ready to deal soberly with the unexpected and unplanned so think of it as a learning experience.

Sorry DogMum but I'm glad you are starting again rather than giving up
Old 12-26-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Day 25 draws to a close, think I'm finally back to what I think might be normal, I've only been sober for this long since I was a student at 19 and had a 2 month spell of no cash and therefore no booze.

I agree with earlier posts, the boredom and nonchalance are now the biggest things for me to watch. I've been very anti AA till now as I have a problem with Step 1, i.e. I need to find a solution to my alcohol problem that comes from within, rather than ceed responsibility to a higher power.

But pulling from others posts its the living sober part I'm getting onto now and I'm willing to accept I may need help with this bit. It's easy to remember why you shouldn't drink when your soaked in sweat, smelling of puke and shaking like its minus 20 in the shade!

When you feel fine, its a boring evening and there's feck all on tv and you're getting texts from your drinking mates who are down the boozer and wondering where you are and offering to get the beers in if I'm skint this week it's a little harder to recall why your doing this....

All part of the journey hey....
Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

I bet you wake up better the next morning tho

D
Old 12-26-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Well made it to the end of day 3 which was actually the worst so far, felt that the withdrawl symptoms hit a peak and I was in a total brain fog as well as being tetchy angry irritable grumpy sweaty and felt like I was getting flu but the last couple of hours they seem to have receded and Im feeling a lot better. At one point I just sat on the floor and did deep breathing, the only thing I could think of to do to cope at the time and you know it worked a bit. Im hoping thats the worst of the initial physical symptoms over with and I can start working on a plan for recovery and learning on how to live sober. Hope everyone is coping and feeling a bit better too