Notices

Class of December 2012 Part 3

Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
p***enger

Here's a "has this happened to you?"

Met yesterday w/an old friend I only see 1 x year, sometimes less. Talk eventually got around to drinking, probably because I'm obsessed w/topic. Turns out, she quit! Conversation:

Me: So how long has it been since you last had a drink?
Her: 3 years. How about you?
Me: 17 days.
(both laugh)

Has anybody else discovered friends they didn't know were sober?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Funny, courage! BTW -- Enjoy your last day in AZ!

I had a friend call me out of the blue and tell me she was 2 weeks sober and asked me to a meeting (this was a few months ago). The last time we had spoke I had been about 8 years ago and I was in AA. I did and it really made me start thinking about my drinking again. Good stuff!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Napster, I'm so sorry! That is so hard. You are doing the right thing for Kia. Your baby deserves the dignity you're giving her. Sometimes the right thing is the hardest thing... so you're tackling two very hard but ultimately good things right now. You are so strong. I had to help two of my best friends over the rainbow bridge in the last 5 months. Someone told me "That's the price we pay for getting to spend time with them and be so loved by them." I think about that when I'm sad. I wouldn't trade the time I spent with them for anything, you know? My thoughts are with you, Napster. <3
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Morning all, it's still early here, I've been up since just before 5am, is any one having trouble with waking up early? In saying that at least I'm sleeping through the night, not like when I drank, I would wake half way through the night and never be able to get back to sleep.

Starsnskies - Congrats on your 30 days. WOOHOO

Readyatlast - Hope the healthy shopping went well, you're right healthy food is dearer than the junk, not sure why that is.
I'm trying to eat healthier now too, but like a lot of people here I have still been munching my way through all the Christmas goodies. lol.

Alice - I can totally relate to you regarding driving home from work being a trigger, that would have to be my biggest hurdle, I always looked forward to a drink after work. I start back to work next Monday so will have to have some plans in place by then.

napster1 - I'm so sorry about your dog, I'm a huge animal lover, pets really do become much loved family members, take care and know that we are thinking of you,:ghug3

shadesofgray - We're on the same day. Day 5, I agree things feel like they are starting to get better.

kitkat - congrats on 21 days, can't wait to be there myself.

Thanks for the welcome back guys

I'm going to try and eat healthier today and more importantly try and keep away from whats left over from Christmas, I went for a walk at 6am so that part is done for the day, I would like to lose some weight that I have gained with all the extra calories from the wine.

Have a great day everyone!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Napster-I'm sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you

Shades-I had headaches well into week 2.Keep hydrated-it will get better

TTBABP-you are being very strong,at what is a very big upheaval for our bodies and minds.you should be proud of yourself. It will get better. my theory is there wouldn't be hundreds of people on SR with years of sobriety if it didn't get better

kat-congrats on 21 days

sorry to hear that mittens but welcome back (waves!!)

cat- thinking ofyou.please let us know how you are.we're here for you, please don't stay away

courage-hope you have a safe journey home and are glad to get home

beherenow-way to go on day 8

fdm-hope you are ok

tazzle,wifi,,lulu,alice, bernie, girlfromco,elly hope you are all ok, apologies if I've missed anyone

think we all deserve fireworks at whatever stage we are at
Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Hey class no internet access tonight so have a great reast of the day and I will check in tomorrow.

Keep on rockin"!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

For those looking to cut down on sugar, control blood sugar levels etc I've just read the following on The Peanut Institute website:

"Did you know certain food helps to keep your blood sugar and risk of diabetes in check? In fact, consuming peanuts and/or peanut butter on a daily basis cuts your risk of diabetes by a quarter (Jiang, 2002). Just a one-ounce serving of peanuts or one tablespoon of peanut butter five or more times per week was shown to offer this benefit in a major study that looked at over 80,000 women called the Nurses’ Health Study (Jiang, 2002)."

Sat here munching on peanuts now
Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

That's interesting Ready, I would hate to get my blood sugar checked at the moment with all the sweet things I have been eating. Love peanut butter though.

I have a diabetic cat, who gets insulin twice daily plus gets his blood sugar tested before each jab. He's on a high protein, low carb diet, something about the sugars in the Carbs not being good for him, - not sure if that's the same for people.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elly40 View Post
That's interesting Ready, I would hate to get my blood sugar checked at the moment with all the sweet things I have been eating. Love peanut butter though.

I have a diabetic cat, who gets insulin twice daily plus gets his blood sugar tested before each jab. He's on a high protein, low carb diet, something about the sugars in the Carbs not being good for him, - not sure if that's the same for people.
hi elly,yes it is the same for people.diabetics should have a controlled carb diet as they convert to sugar too easily.high protein low carb/low sugar diets aremeant to be good all round

sorry- hope no one thinks I'm being critical of chocs/sweets-I'm just jealous I can't eat them without consequences
Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
sorry- hope no one thinks I'm being critical of chocs/sweets-I'm just jealous I can't eat them without consequences
No, not at all.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Hello from day 7! Feeling ok and positive today, although am concerned for waistline!

Shades - I still get headaches although they are a little more sporadic now than they were a few days ago, when they hung over me like a heavy cloud.
Napster - My thoughts are with you and Kia. There is nothing I can say without sounding trite so I won't, but my thoughts will be with you.
Beherenow - I really wish I opted for popcorn and Fresca (don't think we have that here), sadly my leanings are towards crisps (chips in the us?)chocolates and big cups of tea with chocolate digestives. Having tipped all the alcohol away a week ago, i just can't bring myself to get rid of the chocs just yet. My son and I are going for a bike ride at the weekend to try and help with balancing out my consumption!
Mittens - what a fantastic doctor, a brilliant idea and very positive. So.....are you going to?

I had another wonderful nights sleep last night (I am sorry to those who aren't yet, but it really is worth the wait) so me, my son and the dog have all gone to bed early tonight so I can make the most of it..........and to stop bothering the chocolates and sherbert lemons!

Well done to all and good luck comrades xx
Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Bernie, I ate my bodyweight in chocs every day in December It kept me sober tho.I've read its normal cos of all the sugar in alcohol

p.s I love sherbert lemons!!!

sleep well
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

@ Bernie - I really do want to get a puppy/dug. My BF has a cat who is persnickety (sp?) at best (and downright mean at times) - so we will see. I have wanted a dog for a LONG time, but have put it off b/c of cat (I don't want her to beat up the puppy). Now that doc is recommending it, BF is truly considering how we can make a dog/cat household work. I am really excited, but I am worried about getting my hopes up too high in case it doesn't work out.

Thanks to everyone one for the support today - I was feeling like a complete failure. As soon as I slipped, I stopped coming here b/c I was embarrassed that I slipped - I felt like I left everyone down. I think that just compounded the slip and made it all the easier to slip again because I didn't have all the encouragement from my class.

Today I have come up with a written plan which hopefully (since I am the QUEEN of lists) will keep me motivated to stick to it. A big part of the plan is checking here often, regardless of how I feel - I need to stay grounded to keep this going. Tomorrow will be day 2 of sobriety and day 1 of returning to my old weight watchers habits. I will probably be a grump for a few days, but I need to start focusing on getting myself healthy again....especially if I am getting a doggie who will need lots of walks :-)

Thanks to everyone for accepting me for me, slips and all. You have no idea how much that means!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Slips are part of the trip as I've heard say on SR. To ere is human as I've heard elsewhere, keep at it mittens, we're all behind you!

Best of luck with the puppy/cat choice!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hey mittens, I'm so glad you're sticking w/this class, regardless of slips! Making plans & developing routines that support your sobriety are good ideas. I try to check in at least every morning to this class and Morning Gratitude, and if I have more time to other threads. I tend to wake up negative and it seems to kind of orient me/give me a better perspective.

Good luck -- we're all rooting for you!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

ReadyAtLast - a present for you!

[/IMG]
Old 01-03-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Hey mittens sounds like you have a great plan in place. I for one am never to far away from SR. My lifeline for sure
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

time for a new thread guys:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

D