Notices

Class of December 2012 Part 3

Old 12-31-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm new in here.

I just wanted to say that I wish strenght for everyone. Especially today.

I'm saying this because someone is already mad at me, because I said that I won't join the celebration (which means drinking of course).

Today I stay alone at home, and I'm doing this for my own good. I'm too fragile to put myself in such situations where I'd have to fight with the rest of the world to stay sober. No, thanks. It's enough that I'm fighting with myself.

NY resolutions? Get back the control of my life. Survive another year.

Just take care of yourselves - all of you.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Fdm

Fell off again the past few days for no particular reason.

I ran some numbers this morning and at $50 a fifth for single malt scotch, I'm spending over $200 a month on alcohol. I also began to think of what it really does for me, and I think that I'm beginning to understand that it's simply an escape from emotions for a few hours of the day. It's nothing more.

When I don't drink, even a tiny bit, I go to sleep earlier and wake up refreshed. Even a tiny bit the night before drags me down a bit. I think maybe I needed to see for myself the budgetary and emotional aspects of this. I'll be doing a lot of thinking today.

On the positive side, we finally saw Les Miserables Saturday. I absolutely loved it! I was a Les Miz virgin, but I finally "get" the folks who adore it.

I think I needed an emotional film. I laughed and cried. I actually cried a lot.

ETA: I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but I gifted myself a nice new DSLR camera for Christmas. I want to become an amateur photographer. Maybe this will be some additional self motivation.

I'm also discussing a different family vacation than the beach for 2013. Beach vacations typically involve copious amounts of beer for me. I am thinking that a whitewater trip in the Carolina mountains would be fun and different in the summer, as would a ski vacation to the same area. We have never done either.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
I'm ok thanks. Making a salad and getting the kids ready to go to this party. Deciding to and then not to go to the pub on the way.
Happy New Year Midlifecrisis, I hope you made it through to 2013 unscathed - not sure of the time difference but you can't be far off the witching hour now.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Happy New Years Eve!

Welcome Bernie, Alice, Newfor Life, Keekey, midlifecrisis, mabli, shadesofgray, boxguy and 2inconsolable! (I hope that was everyone)

Why is it everything on the news is all about drinking the bubbly, party-party, etc? I will be so glad to see 2013 and do away with all the festivities.

wifi and kitkat - sorry about the young men struggling in your lives with their addictions. I recall those days (about 3 decades ago) when I became more distant from my parents with my drinking. I wish there were suggestions I could make for you guys. Well, here I am in my 50's finally getting my act together after loosing so much over the years.

Dogmum and Fdm - sorry you had a little mishap but you're here again to start over.

My new years resolution is to get back with an exercise program and am going to our gym today. Although, if the uncontrollable coughing persists, I make have to make a quick exit. It's been almost two weeks with this bug and frankly, I'm getting really sick of it.

I hope you all stay safe an sober on the turn of another year!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
AA Member

Woo hoo, Cat! I like the gym idea. I've gotten kind of obsessed with going to the gym lately myself. But I figure that kind of addiction is far better than vodka...won't make me wrap my car around a tree, cuss someone out and many other unsavory things. (Oh yeah, and I forgot seeing the blue lights flashing behind me, knowing they're meant for me, lol). I don't know what there is about me, but EVERYTHING I do...whether healthy or not, I do to excess. My deal right now is ice cream and chocolate, and exercise, of course. I was talking with my sponsor yesterday about what to do about this trait (defect), and she said, right now just concentrate on staying sober for now. I know that must be at the forefront of my mind at all times, because without my sobriety I will have no life, no relationships...nothing worthwhile.

I like something I read here yesterday..."Anything or anyone I put before my sobriety, I lose." Wow, so very true.

Day 18 here and goin' strong. May I never forget the events of 19-20 days ago...the misery, the depression, the sense of hopelessness. I don't ever have to experience that again...as long as I don't pick up.

Going to an AA New Year's eve party/speaker meeting. Invited to dinner and also to another party...but I think I will confine myself to the AA activity. I told my husband he can go on without me...that's fine...but it's too soon to put myself in a position of temptation at this point.

Welcome to all the new folks...we're all just doing this one day at a time...and as the days pass, it definitely gets easier.

My wish for all of you is a good sober start to your new year. 2013 can be a good year...if we MAKE it be. It's all up to us. God will help but, but we must do our part.

Big hugs, all

Kat

Last edited by kitkat1; 12-31-2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: addition of phrase
Old 12-31-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Happy New Year's Eve to all. Stay strong and sober! I had a minor slip this weekend. Bought two miniatures of vodka - drank one. Fortunately, I didn't drink both, but I am heartbroken that I made it 12 days and then couldn't make it to 13. I blew all that hard work for one shot.

Started over again on Sunday. I am just so disappointed in myself. At least this time, I don't have the horrid day 2 physical stuff. But emotionally I feel like such a failure.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Fdm

Originally Posted by mittens2020 View Post
Happy New Year's Eve to all. Stay strong and sober! I had a minor slip this weekend. Bought two miniatures of vodka - drank one. Fortunately, I didn't drink both, but I am heartbroken that I made it 12 days and then couldn't make it to 13. I blew all that hard work for one shot.

Started over again on Sunday. I am just so disappointed in myself. At least this time, I don't have the horrid day 2 physical stuff. But emotionally I feel like such a failure.
I'm with you Mittens.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bernie2823 View Post

Happy New Year Midlifecrisis, I hope you made it through to 2013 unscathed - not sure of the time difference but you can't be far off the witching hour now.
Thanks for thinking of me. Didn't make it, will have to join the January thread. Thanks for having me briefly.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Welcome 2inconsolable

FDM-sorry to hear that,good to see you backhere

Cat-gym i great,I've been twice this week.whilst I don't feel physcially different it takes time but its a step in the right direction.that's rough that you still feel unwell.hoping you get better soon

kitkat-enjoy your meeting tonight

mittens- at least you ar4e back here-don't beat yourself up

have a great day/night everyone

Work closed 3 hours early so we could all go out and celebrate-NOOOOOOOOO!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

mittens - don't beat yourself up. Learn from this experience.

midlife and Fdm - welcome back aboard

Ready and kitkat - I hope I have the energy to make it to the gym but still feeling very weak. For starters, I'm going on a bike ride for some shopping and see if that gets my motivation going.

The sun is shining with 70 right now so I should go out and get some fresh air.

Catch y'all later!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Checking in. Sober last night and feel better today. Going shopping then movie night with the GF. Only day 2 after a weekend slipup.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

Ready - thanks for the concern - my friend issue seems to be working itself out Ok and I am feeling better. I just have to get through one relatively major work issue now and then I can rest easy. My New Year's Resolution is to exercise, eat healthier and MAYBE learn to cook something. (even if I get one out of three of those - I will be happy)

Welcome Back sunriseshell.

Congrats on 22 grandma12.

Three weeks is great occupy.

Fallow - good to see you posting. I look forward to more.

Welcome 2inconsolable. You cannot worry about people being mad at you for making good decisions for yourself. I have been so upset the past two days because someone is mad at me that I almost made myself physically ill. With the help of some great folks here at SR I am feeling better and realizing that I can only do so much and cannot worry if others are mad.

FDM & mittens - Don't beat yourselves up. Try try again!

Cat - great to see you. Sorry your still fighting that bug but you sound great otherwise.

Sorry Midlifecrises - please check in here and let us know how you are doing going forward.

Originally Posted by kitkat1 View Post
My wish for all of you is a good sober start to your new year. 2013 can be a good year...if we MAKE it be. It's all up to us. God will help but, but we must do our part. Kat
Thank you same to you and everyone as I could not have said it better!
Happy New Year everyone
Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
p***enger

Checking in on NYE from U.S. Southwest. No plans for tonite, thank goodness.

Went to lunch w/my sister in AZ who's been sober 18 years -- I'd never talked to her about it before but I did, briefly. It was good to laugh w/her about our shared alcoholic genes. I'll miss her when I go back east.

Just a few end of year shout-outs:

Welcome back Maples, FDM & Mittens! I hope a slip reminds you of your resolve to stay sober and that a slip can easily become a slide. Mittens, I TOTALLY know the temptation of those "airplane" bottles. Just thinking about them now is giving me a craving.

Cat, glad you're posting again & congrats on making those $. Spend them on something great!

Hang in there, 2inconsolable, shadesofgreay, and alice!

TTBABP, kitkat, ready, occupy, raining, tamerua, wifi & lulu: you all sound great!

There are so many of us in this class now, please forgive me, everyone I've missed. I wish everyone peace and health in the new year!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi all. I posted the following in one of the "Support Threads", but thought I'd repost it here.

I first came here a year ago and didn't drink for a month or so. Then I started drinking a little ... which became more of course. My wife and daughter have been out of town for a week with my son and I at home. I was looking forward to the alone time, so that I could drink whenever I wanted without having to hide it. Odd, but the time of quiet has been good for me.

I'm 52 and don't want to live like this anymore. My drinking has been less this year than in the past, but the trend isn't a good one. I hate having to hide my drinking. I hate hiding bourbon bottles in the recycling bin each week. I hate arranging my day around my drinking. I'm just tired of it all. I don't know how far I'll be able to go, but I'm taking that first step and will not drink today.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Welcome whodey

It's not even 6pm here in the UK and I'm thinking how nice it would be to have some wine. This is madness-it's just another day. why do we get these thoughts from. Oh well,out come the chocolates. I will eat all of them tonight and start diet tomorrow!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Thanks courage. How nice you got to spend such good time with your sister. I wish I had a sister. I only have brothers - who I love very much and they love me - but boys are just yucky sometimes!

WhoDey - welcome. We are all with you - we will not drink today. Keep thinking that and come here and post often. It really has helped me a lot.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
p***enger

Welcome, WhoDey! I guarantee you, that every day that you don't drink, no matter how bad you feel or whatever happens, one thing you WON'T have to worry about is guilt and shame about drinking. You can do this!

Ready, do you like dark chocolate, or milk? (please don't say white chocolate, blech!)

TTBABP, only some sisters are to be wished for. I have another who's crazy. Plus, who knows what they think of me? They probably think I'm the wacko one, LOL.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Oh here we go. In one hour I'm off to my NYE party. I am NOT going to drink at all, but this is the time when the monkey starts shrieking - I am experiencing the regular discomfort that comes with detox and of course my addled brain is telling me stuff about how tomorrow I can sleep the day away, don't need to put myself through this torture, will just get depressed if I don't drink... I'm praying for strenght, and also glad that I will be with good friends to whom I can tell the truth. But this is not easy at all. I need to think that for every minute of sober queasiness that I am able to withstand now there will be several days without any drunk queasiness.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

I'll eat any sort courage Preferably milk though I have been known to pinch my toddler's white chocs

TTBABP-I've got 2 sisters and we don't really have that great relationship some sisters have. I've 2 brothers too
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hey all,

I'm having a good day. Working mainly and had a lovely muddy run :-)

I have had a couple of 'why can't I have some wine thoughts' but the Antibuse kicks them out pretty quick.

I guess that when the tablets run out (if I can keep taking them) I will then have to change my thinking. I'm hoping that I will be stronger then. Not sure I could get through NYE without them...maybe I could, I have to say I am loving feeling so happy and healthy :-)

I also know what I'm like!!!!

Hope everyone survives NYE, I am working at home so will check in later.