Notices

Class Of November 2012 - Part 5

Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Nikki, What a disappointment that they aren't coming. Geez. I would react the same way if my kids did that! I can understand the reflex action of wanting to reach for a bottle of booze. My, how we have conditioned ourselves to think a drink is the answer to all our problems!

Amy, GREAT decision to give the bottle away to someone who will appreciate it. I think you are doing fantastic.

Now... can I make it until 11:30 to go to Midnight Mass at a Catholic church?!!! I hope they don't do any kneeling
Old 12-24-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Great advice Dee! Thanks!

You are right too Marine! I need to count my blessings and focus on the positive.

June, thanks for being able to relate. I dont think anyone is required to kneel during Mass, it's optional, just like taking communion.

When I opened my back door a few minutes ago to let my dog out I could hear Christmas Carols being sung. It was beautiful, especially with the snow falling and holiday lights sparkling. I think it was coming from a community church that's only a mile or two away. I live in such a beautiful place!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas morning, everyone!
I forgot to mention last night that while we were eating dinner in the restaurant, there was a large family seated nearby with a baby about a year old. The baby was squealing like babies do, not a scream, but just squealing, a happy squeal. Well, a very drunk woman seating near them got up from her seat and ran over to their table, screaming at them that the baby was ruining her dinner! She was stumbling drunk. The mother of the baby yelled at her that she "hasn't seen screaming yet." The drunk woman's husband had to run over and just about tackle her and haul her back to their table. She kept yelling about the baby the entire time. The owner of the restaurant went over to them and very politely asked them to leave. I felt bad for both parties.
I am on Day 45 today, glad to be sober.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Marine, that is wonderful. The way is I see it, is it was a gift from the universe in why it's so awesome to be sober.

This morning as I was walking my dog, I saw a recycling bin loaded to the top with cases and cases of empty beer bottles. I really looked hard at it and tried to register some kind of emotion about it. I asked myself if I felt bad. Did I miss drinking? Was I feeling alone because somebody had a party and didn't invite me? Did I want a drink? My answer to all those questions was NO! I was surprised, but I still don't miss drinking.

I do crave sweets, though, maybe it's this diet!!! Last night I just wanted to eat all the candy and cookies I could, but I didn't.

I went to church yesterday afternoon with my sponsor and her husband. The singing of Christmas carols was wonderful, and I really enjoyed the warmth of the congegration. I found out later that was a born again Christian church.

The Catholic midnight mass was a stark contrast. It's the first midnight mass that I have been where I wasn't handed a candle when I walked in. Aren't midnight masses usually done in candle light? It was a beautiful church, and my friend is the cantor there. The chorale music was absolutely gorgeous, but things were very formal and a little cold at this church. It was nice that it was done both in English and Spanish, though. Kind of reminded me of going to synagogue when I was a kid, listening to all that Hebrew

Hope your Christmas is merry!
Old 12-25-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Checking in. My sobriety date is November 25th, 2012. Which gives me 30 days on Christmas Day. I couldn't ask for a better Christmas gift!
Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread Squizz

D
Old 12-25-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hi everyone and Merry Christmas. I hope those of you around family had a great time and for those alone or with their immediate family like me, I hope it was relaxing. If it was stressful; I hope it is almost over and tomorrow is another day. I'm still in my pajamas, so it was very low key for me, my husband and kids.

This is the first Christmas in many years where I didn't start drinking early with mimosas and then switch to wine later in the morning. Sometimes I still can't believe that I'm doing it-living my daily life without drinking. I had a moment of pure relaxed contentment this afternoon, the same feeling I used to seek by drinking. The fact that I felt it sober gives me hope and reminded me that I don't need alcohol; I just thought I did for way too long.

Well, that's my ramble for today. Peace.

Charlee
Old 12-25-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Squizz, hello! So nice to have you here

Charlee - How exciting! I am thrilled to hear this.

Off to a new meeting tonight. It is a Red Book meeting - I've not heard of that before.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

June - let us know what a Red Book is. Curious. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:21 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi Squizz and welcome to our club! Glad to have you here.

Charlee it sounds like you're chilled out. My Christmas was also laid back. I had a lovely time and enjoined loads of delicious food at my friends house after church.

June, enjoy your Red Book class. Wondering what they'll come up with next, the Blue Book ooer!

Enjoy Boxing Day folks

S x
Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good morning. I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas. We had a quiet day at home. well, after the kids opened presents. my 8yo was so cute and excited. He was jumping out of his skin when he came to wake hubby and me. My 13 yo has played into the magic quite nicely. She has a hard time keeping a secret, so this is big, lol.

Last night we all watched the Christmas Dr. Who kick off show. My daughter is very into Dr. Who and received many gifts in the theme. A book, hat, 2 T-shirts.

I hope all are doing well.

Love,

Ro
Old 12-26-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Marine, the Red Book meeting was not happening! I pulled up to the door and there were no cars around. I guess it was closed for Christmas.

But the most amazing thing happened after that! I had my meeting finder on my phone, so I located another meeting. When I got to the second meeting, three of us had shown up at the church for the meeting, and the caretaker told us there was no meeting. We asked if we could just hold our own meeting, and he said it was fine. It was awesome!!!! I said I would like to work on the first step, since I am having so much trouble saying "my life has become unmanageable" and "I am powerless over alcohol". A few more stragglers wandered in, and it was the best meeting I have ever gone to. One of the guys there told me he had been at that meeting that I was at Saturday, and after I told him how cold people were to me there, he said that although he was a newcomer too, only five months sober, that it was a lesson to him to come up and greet newcomers even though it is easier to talk to people he already knew. So it was amazing, warm, and intimate. Best meeting ever!

Hugs, y'all!
J

OH! Speaking of J, on the one year thread, someone said he sees Jjay on Facebook, and he is doing fine!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

June, your higher power is looking out for you! I love reading your posts as they are always fill of little coincidences. Sounds like you were at the right place at the right time. Good news about J as well!

Rochele sounds like a very happy excitable day in your household.

Dee hope you had a lovely Christmas.

I'm sitting here a little bit flat, got lots of tidying to do and feeling 'hungover' which is weird. I think all the food overloaded my system so I feel the same as when I had loads of alcohol in the past. I've been reading on the top 10 foods to boost your liver and I'm making a salad with olive oil, grapefruit segments, avocado, garlic, watercress, walnut pieces - 6 out of 10 lol.

Watching Will Ferrel in 'Everything must go' about an alcoholic who relapses and loses everything, has a yard sale and gets his life back on track. I've seen it before but thought it might be the tonic I need to get myself out of my own pity party.

It's worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

S x
Old 12-26-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi all!!!

Big shout out to all my November friends... It sounds like everyone had a pretty drama free safe and sober Christmas!!! That is soooooo cool!

I was wondering what happened with jjay as he was posting alot and then wham... GONE... It's good to hear he is doing well...

Thanks again for leading the charge, I personally really appreciate all the experience, strength and hope y'all bring to the table...

Hope everyone has a safe and sober day!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Hi Amy, good to hear from you. You sound in a good place and like you plan to stick with your sobriety plan. Like D said, you are a grownup. You sound okay and you are being honest.

Thanks for the support last night everyone here and at 30 days. I was so tempted. still am. There is wine in the house. Hubby *forgot* to bring it to his sister's gathering on Friday night. he went overnight, as it is out of state. he had it hidden for my sake, so as not to tease, I am sure. And he forgot it. So, I know where it is. It is haunting me. It will go with us to a party on Thursday if I am successful in not touching it!

I will re-state that. It WILL go with us to Thursday's party!

I posted the following over in under 30 days, as I mistakenly replied here after reading both threads. But am leaving it here too, in case my thoughts are helpful to someone here as well:

Harley, while none of us need wine, it is a cultural fixture in society. So, I do think at certain times, it is harder to resist. The holiday, the stress, the business, the merriment, and the culture of drinking surrounding it. So, I do not need it, but I also do not need any cookies. But I have made about 5 varieties and 3 types of truffles. I gift them, and we enjoy them. We don't need any of it.

So, that logic is not always helpful to me. Just speaking f my own internal dialogue. I want to feel like I can have a bit of wine, like I have a few cookies, and then leave it until the next special occasion. At my stage of young sobriety, that is a very real struggle I have to go through, as opposed to shoving it aside. If I just shove it aside, it will still haunt me. Not sure if I am making sense. Kind of like weathering a storm, vs running away from it.

Thinking it through works for me right now. I really could have a drink or 2-3. And stop there. I am pretty sure if I went as far as 3, I will not sleep properly. I will wake and feel hot, or anxious, and be exhausted tomorrow. Especially since my tolerance will be low, after 32 days sober. So, now, it turns me off. I keep replaying that in my head each time I consider popping open some wine this evening after church.
Wow, I missed this, Rochele! I didn't know you were struggling like this. I am sorry I didn't reach out to you. I hope that wine makes it out of the house!!!! Or at least into the trash. Oh, okay, I don't think I could throw it in the trash, either. I hate wasting things that other people can use, even if it is P O I S O N to me!!!

Fingers crossed that you are feeling better now.
Big hugs!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thanume View Post
Just returned from a fantastic day of snowboarding in our wonderful Rocky Mountains. This was my first time up this year & my first time ever, completely sober. I took my young daughter who is learning & half way through the day she said she was proud of me for not having to go into the trees to pee yet . I asked her if she knew why , and it led to me being honest with her and explaining that I had quit drinking & no more beer all day meant more pit-stops! I have refrained from talking to her about it, but it was a wonderful conversation & now one of the people I am focused on doing this for can now hold me accountable. I am finding this whole honesty thing very freeing & comfortable. I had a great day with a clear head & conscience!

PS- all this talk about holiday treats has got me revved up for the coming days!! It all sounds good, hope everybody enjoys. I am roasting a duck, which I always look forward to!
Good for you on having that heart to heart talk with your daughter. I love Colorado! When I was young I spent a summer at the Aspen Music Festival studying classical guitar. The wildflowers covering the mountains were spectacular. Heh, I can barely play now, but I still enjoy banging around on the guitar.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Sazzle, I loved that movie "Everything Must Go". I forgot that Will Farrell was an alcoholic, but I remember him living in the front yard with all his stuff.

One of the coolest things about this season is all the great movies that are on television!

Nomis, you said something that struck a not with me......You said you are "not even close to being tempted. And then I think that that is alcoholism being sneaky and making me overconfident, lulling me into a false sense of security."

I wonder about that too. I hope I don't get overconfident because I am not really tempted to drink at all. Sheesh, that can lead right into, well, you know.....thinking that I can have JUST ONE!!!!! Nope. I don't need that kind of thinking at all. Perhaps I need to say how thankful I am each and every day without fail, that I don't have that monkey on my back of having to drink every single night. Nomis, thank you for bringing that up, I needed to think about this!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Happy Day After Christmas! After being down about my son and family not making it on Christmas EVe, yesterday made up for it. I gave away all the left over alcohol away. My daughter just left facing another harrowing drive back to west coast.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Welcome Squizz and congrats on those 30 days!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Merry Day After Christmas to all! I have read a few posts about the "overconfidence" and thinking you can just drink one or two and stop. I was one of those folks, who thought I could have "just one." Here I sit on my vacation, finally 45 days sober, with every single day thinking about the DUI I got because I was supposed to have "just one." Losing my license for up to 6 months - all because I thought I could have "just one." It really is an overconfidence, the alcoholic brain tricks the normal brain into thinking it will be just fine. But, that said, all I can do is share my experience. I had read about this overconfidence on these boards way back when. And I still went out and did it anyway. I wish I had paid attention, but I didn't think it could happen to me. Just felt like I had to say this. Hope everyone is well.