Notices

Class Of November 2011 Pt 7

Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Feeling good and happy today! Been exercising again, feels great after slacking off so hard over the holidays, and during the final crazy month of school. The sun is shining, it is so nice. It's been raining torrents lately.
We're having my 21 year old cousin over for dinner tonight. Not sure what I'm making yet. Either spaghetti and garlic toast or a roast. I want to make some homey comfort food for him.
I have quite a bit of work to do for school already. But I am determined not to spend the whole term stressing out like I always do, driving myself crazy. I have to just not procrastinate.
Did you go to the meeting Marine? How was it? Do you like your new house? What is your neighbourhood like?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Marine, tell us about your new pad!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

my wife doesn't nag Tres - she commands LOL

D
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
my wife doesn't nag Tres - she commands LOL

D
Ha! Cute.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

My new pad....hmmmmm. Well, I accidentally locked myself out of my new pad the other night. Was unloading groceries, and had set my purse, cell phone and keys down on the table INSIDE and then went back out to the car. Wasn't thinking that the door locks automatically behind you unless you unlock it on the knob and bang....I was locked out. No way to contact my landlord, nothing! No spare key anywhere. Fortunately, I live in a community that has a security guard shack at the entrance, so I schlepped myself down there, and he called a locksmith. Two hours and $150 later, I was back in. Then my car started acting up, so I had to take it to the dealer. It has a drive train problem. Fortunately, they gave me a loaner vehicle so I am not without transportation. Call me Lucy Ricardo .... a co-worker told me that my "stories" sound just like an I Love Lucy Show.

Anyway, I have a nice 2BR Condo, an end unit, so it has a nice wrap around screened in porch. There are lots of palm trees and a little "creek", not sure what you call it, it's not a lake, it's not a canal, nearby. A lady walking by told me there are alligators in it so I am steering clear. There are two pools and several golf courses. It seems that the beach is about 6 miles away and I am going to check it out soon.

I came very close to drinking the night I got locked out, but I didn't. It was hard. I was a basket case after spending two hours outside in the dark, sitting on the step, wondering if the locksmith was going to show up. I didn't drink, though and I won't. I did go to an AA meeting yesterday morning and am trying to find some new women friends. Seems to be kind of "cliquey" so far, so will keep checking other meetings out. I am sure there is one that I will identify with.

Just realized that my husband's accident was exactly 2-1/2 years ago today. He would want to go to the beach on such a nice day, so that is where I am going.

I will check in later on. Glad everyone is doing well.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Marine, I did something similar when I was apartment hunting. I locked my keys in my car. The apartment staff was not helpful. I had to find a locksmith by myself a day was so frustrated. I am sure that I drank that night...

Yes we have gators, too. I hope you enjoy the beach.

Hubby did not drink last night! Second Friday in a row! Only a few beers tonight.. I'm not nagging...
Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I've locked myself out of places too many times to count.

Tres- That's awesome. Fingers crossed.....
Marine your place sounds nice! Palm trees, ah....I don't know about the gators though! Those things really freak me out. I've never been close to one before. But, I have bears, wolves, coyotes and cougars to deal with!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

You get used to the gators.... Lol...

Hubby invited some friends over today. One is his old drinking buddy. They are tearing it up. I was really feeling anxious around everyone. I was the only one not drinking. It was a beautiful day, and out on the dock, grilled some great burgers. I was glad to see most of them leave. I still get anxiety when people are drinking at my house. He did ask, and I said okay, but felt like I wanted to drink.

Of course I didn't.... Yay.

We took tomorrow off and are going to surprise our daughter and take her to Busch Gardens after school. That should be fun!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Just checking in as life is pretty boring, which is good, and not much notable happening.

I think I mentioned that in an earlier life I was extensively involved in scuba, so remind me to tell ya sometime my yarn about a very close encounter with an 8-10 foot gator while underwater...essentially not sure who scared the crap outta who the most.

Florida sounds good this time of year. I love where I live (Marine, we hardly ever lock our doors) but the older I get the more I like the idea of a respite from our relatively cool cloudy winter. I keep toying the the idea of spending Jan and Feb in a warmer climate, but this is probably just another thing I think/talk about and never take action upon.

Where's CF?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Catfry and Vantrina have both been very quiet lately. I hope all is well with them and they are just super busy.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I am good. Hope you all are doing well also.

Bimm, I would like to hear that gator story!

Hubby's friend got totally plowed. We made him stay over. He was loud and woke us all up at 1230 in the night.... Better him than me! So glad that he didn't drive. He was full of apologies today.

Had a sweet afternoon riding roller coasters today. It makes you forget about the world when you are screaming in fun!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Tres - that is good you made him stay over and not drive. I wish the friend I was sitting with the night of my charity event had not let me drive. He had to have known i had too much to drink, because he texted me three or four times with "are you home yet, did you make it home?", so he knew. Funny how he has called only once to see how I am doing. And he and my husband were very good friends, too. Oh well, like the song goes, "you find out who your friends are".

Anyway, sounds like you had a nice afternoon at Busch Gardens. I tried to find a women only AA meeting. Got to the church listed in the directory and there were four or five different things going on in the church hall. I didn't want to go into each room and ask if this is where the AA meeting was being held, so I just came back home. Wish that some of these meetings would have some kind of identifier. These church halls/schools often have many groups using their facility.

Can't remember if I ever told the story about walking in and sitting down at what I thought was an AA meeting at home and it was a bible chorus group picking out songs to sing. Hey, all the big books looked the same. :-).
Old 01-15-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Marine28 View Post
Can't remember if I ever told the story about walking in and sitting down at what I thought was an AA meeting at home and it was a bible chorus group picking out songs to sing. Hey, all the big books looked the same. :-).
Funny!

Tres- Hope the spousal unit continues to behave. It is nice to do stuff as a family besides drink.

I have the Kasserole Klub next weekend and the group decided to try a new format. Instead of essentially being a pitch-in type event, it was decided that the host will provide all the courses, excluding beverages. This hopefully will be an improvement, but the group has up to 17 people and that is a lot of people for a dinner party IMO. Plus there are a lot of picky eaters who think they should be catered to. Not at my house, this is what we're having, so shut up and eat it (or not).

Well, off to town to get a new battery for the tractor, some seed for the moochie birds, a haircut and a few groceries. Since we live 12 miles from the nearest settlement, consolidation of errands is a way of life.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I am taking my annual trip down to South Beach next week. Looking forward to it!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by DarrenW View Post
I am taking my annual trip down to South Beach next week. Looking forward to it!
from the sounds of the weather forecast, it will be a good time to get outta town. Enjoy!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Supposed to be beautiful here in South Florida all weekend. I am going to try to find something fun to do outside. Maybe play golf. Enjoy yourself, Darren!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hey all.
Just trying not to let school get to me. Already stressing out, none of my contacts are getting back to me for a major project I'm doing and deadline is looming. Just have to keep forging ahead and not stop to think about the work. Just do it and then it will be over before I know it.
Went to the safe supervised injection site this morning for a tour. Very eye opening. Very sad. So many hopeless people. "Profound hopelessness" is how the junkies describe how it feels to be addicted to heroin, crack, etc. So awful.

Woah Bimm, that's a lot of cookin'! Good luck with that. :-S

Hope you get out for some golf Marine. Did you find a meeting?
I am thinking about joining a group. For the social aspect, just to be able to talk to others who have been through it would be nice. My bf is very supportive but he doesn't really understand.
Have a good holiday Darren! Sounds so nice. The weather has been awful here-very cold and rainy. So ready for spring already.
Bimm-you are so lucky to live in the country. I would love to get out of the city.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Sounds like Florida is the place to be. I don't think I have ever been to South Beach sober.. Lol...

Hubby is doing better. I am not nagging.

Went to my first choir practice tonight.... Just started for preparing for the Easter services. I ran into two people that I have known in the past... Luckily not related to drinking or sex... Lol..both were instructor's at a gym that I used to go to.

I came down with a sore throat today.. Bummed about that.. Hope it won't get worse.

Sorry, I am rambling.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Tres View Post
Hey everyone. Sounds like Florida is the place to be.
My 88 year old Mom lives in Florida and refers to it a "God's waiting room".
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I love Florida. I try to spend three weeks per year down there. Destin is where I go the most.