Notices

Class Of November 2011 Pt 7

Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

How exciting Tres and thank goodness you have a good mentor.
Bimm, that is so cute, thank you for posting! Ahh, springtime. Ah, nature!
Just was out for a night run and it smells so strongly of blossoms, and people are getting their lawns and gardens going and the sprinklers fired up.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Me again!? Where is everyone? Marine? Van? Bimm? Tres? Darren? Hellooooo......it is good that we are all becoming too busy for this forum. But let's not let it die! I like this thread.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Sorry everyone - Im still around too! I guess Ive never been a regular member of the group, more of a guest commentator once every blue moon

Still sober since 11/30/11. Not sure how many days that is, but its up there. One of the things that has kept me sober was my desire to someday be a dad - and well - it looks like I am going to be a dad! Ironically, the due date is November 25th, almost two years to the day I quit drinking. I can't think of a better gift and a better reason to remain sober.

I've had some urges recently, but they have all passed. I was able to see a band play in a bar two nights ago and only drink squirt. Wasn't easy, but I did it.

Hope you all are doing well. - Chris
Old 05-03-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by cbcedd View Post
Sorry everyone - Im still around too! I guess Ive never been a regular member of the group, more of a guest commentator once every blue moon

Still sober since 11/30/11. Not sure how many days that is, but its up there. One of the things that has kept me sober was my desire to someday be a dad - and well - it looks like I am going to be a dad! Ironically, the due date is November 25th, almost two years to the day I quit drinking. I can't think of a better gift and a better reason to remain sober.

I've had some urges recently, but they have all passed. I was able to see a band play in a bar two nights ago and only drink squirt. Wasn't easy, but I did it.

Hope you all are doing well. - Chris
Chris-
Glad you popped in to give us an update. That is wonderful news about becoming a Dad. Every child deserves sober parents.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Chris

been ill guys - you know I'm ill when the PC stays off
back now

D
Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Glad you are feeling better Dee.

Congrats on the new baby on the way CB! Thats fantastic!

I survived the workweek...
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Glad you're back Dee, hope you're 100 per cent.

Congratulations Chris, that's wonderful news! And lucky child gets to have a dad he will never have to see drunk. Way to go.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

My daughter told me last night that all she wants for her birthday is for daddy not to drink at her birthday party....
Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Tres. That must be hard to hear...

I'm sitting at 75- 85 % at the moment I think IP lol

D
Old 05-04-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Feeling very blessed. I was out for a run this morning and was hit by a car. No broken bones, just some scrapes and bruises. I keep replaying it in mind and keep thinking that I was one step away from serious injury or worse. Saying an extra prayer of thanksgiving before I go to bed tonight.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad you're ok Chris.

D
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Aw, Tres. Did you tell your husband she said that?
Chris! So glad you're ok.
Keep climbing up to that 100 Dee!
I have been offered an internship at a tiny paper in a tiny northern Alberta town. A three month paid internship. I am torn about it. On the one hand it would be great to get out of town, and it's beautiful there. But on the other it is such a small paper and I don't know if it would be the ideal learning environment, reporting on school dance recitals and whatnot. But the mantra in journalism is "take the first job offer you get, choose the second." Although it's not a job offer, only three months, but it also might be a good way to see if I would like that kind of experience, working at a small community paper. Maybe I'd love it, who knows? I do know I'm sick of the city and all the stupid politics here, ugh. Come to think of it, it's exactly what I've been wanting, a small-town getaway. And it's near the Rocky Mountains, which I am obsessed with. I love those mountains. Hmmmm....she's calling me today. I hate making decisions! Will let you know what I decide!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

IP-

Pls do let us know what you decide.

For those who may care, here is the latest and last photos of the little Eastern Bluebirds. They are now 8 days old and if all goes well they will fledge in 10 or 11 days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Baby Blues and Boule 037.jpg (93.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Hard to post lately since I've changed my home office set up and am trying not to bring the laptop into the bedroom…and life has been really, really busy. Good things, but just hectic. Family school activities; my job…I've had so many meetings recently and am just working too much. sigh. Such is my life right now. Trust me, it is not bad.

Bimm, thanks for the baby bluebird photos; they are amazing and humbling. I enjoyed looking at them just now. Made me take a moment….nice.

Dee, hope you are feeling better.

CBCEDD, geeze, you are lucky you are ok. Sorry to hear about your accident. Geeze. Happy to hear about your impending fatherhood. Good dads rock.

Tres, that made me sad to read your daughter's birthday wish. But yet, the fact that she was direct, honest, and trusting of you to share, really speaks highly of the relationship you have established with her. Good for you.
Sounds like the new job is going the way most new jobs go….full of learning curves. A time of transition. Hang in, sounds like you are doing just fine.

InPartic, how good to now be at the point to consider job postings. Will be interesting to read about your adventures once you finalize where you want to settle.

The big deal in my life right now is that I'm trying to increase my veggie intake, and decrease my intake of white flour and sugar. I've been doing well for the past two week, but today I failed….the draw of the chocolate cookie. Oh well. Tomorrow is a new day.

My complaints that I just wish I had a three hour time frame at work where no one was calling or walking into the office and I could get a block of work completed. Maybe tomorrow.

Have a good night everyone.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

C, so glad your accident was not worse!!! So scary.
IP...GO FOR IT! Its only three months...a new adventure!
Dee, glad you are improving.
Bimm, the birds are wonderful..glad you shared them.

Vantrina, you sound busy! I know how you feel! I am still 100% in my old job and probably 20% in my new job...things are crazy. I must say tho that I am loving it. I have not moved into my new office yet due to the slowness of facilities doing the move within the hospital. I know once I am in there everyone will be knocking on my door....

I have not told, y husband what my daughter said. I am waiting for the opportune time. It broke my heart that she said that and it means so much to her.

He turns 40 next month and wants a big blowout party at our house with a band and everything. I am not ready for that stress, clean up, planning, drunkeness, etc..I told him I cant do it...but I feel bad. He planned a trip for my 40th to NYC with four girlfriends and paid for their flights! I dont feel likeI can top that one...
Old 05-12-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Tres, do whatever makes you comfortable. Spending 20 minutes on line buying tickets and booking a couple hotel rooms is not the same NEARLY as planning, hosting and cleaning up after a huge party with band. Especially you being sober. He has to understand that. Get one of his drinking buddies to do it. It was sweet of him to do but is also a lot of him to ask of his recovering spouse. IMHO.

I didn't get the damn internship, btw, because they required that I have a vehicle, which I don't. I'm finding that a lot of these smaller town papers are asking for a vehicle, understandably, but it is going to be a roadblock. Ha ha, pun intended.

Been applying at lots of places, just rejections so far, but I think that is normal at the start. Am working on some freelance ideas. Actually am thinking of spinning my experiences with alcohol into a blog or column. I think at my age it is an interesting and seldom heard perspective.

Vantrina good for you for improving your diet, it is so important. Just keep at it! We all struggle with this....

Haven't heard from Marine in a while-how are you gal?

Thanks for the cute photos of the little birds Bimm, I love it.

My dog played with a 9 week old pug at the park yesterday, it was so cute!

Today was the first time I have not found our thread on the main page. Wah!!! As long as we keep checking in, I don't want to lose you guys!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Sorry, IP. Something...the right thing will come up. Be patient. The blog idea is good also.

I am moved into my office and out of my old. Spent four hours on saturday cleaning and moving. I have so much to learn. I am really being stretched with doing both jobs...its nuts. Even when I tell people I am not in my new role, they keep asking me over and over again for managerial intervention. It will probably only get worse before it gets better. I am not even sure if my old position is posted yet..

I am trying not to dwell too mich on it.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Hi, I am here. Busy getting ready to go back home for the summer. I am looking forward to that. Other things on my mind, too.
I have to admit I tried some wine recently. Not sure why I tested myself. That control thing I guess. Alcoholism really is a very, very bad disease. No other disease tricks you into thinking that it will cure itself. If you have cancer you get treatment, you don't just wish it will go away on its own. It takes work. I was getting complacent.
I am thinking of selling my house and permanently relocating to FL so that has been on my mind a lot. The trial is coming up this summer and things aren't looking too rosey on that front. I am not making any excuses for drinking the wine, but I have had one death after another since the beginning of the year, and I think I just snapped. Oh well, it was just that one night and I haven't touched the stuff again. Learning from it.
Lots of travel coming up but I will try to stay in touch.
Sounds like you are all doing good! Keep it up!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

I know you will succeed Marine. What you said about alcoholism is so true. I don't understand why it's not treated like other diseases. It ruins so many lives.

I am feeling positive, lots of things going on, creative projects on the go. It's fun. But I need a job! Send job thoughts my way!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Lots of positive job vibes on the way!!!!