Notices

Class of December 2012 Part 2

Old 12-18-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 661 (permalink)  

clenching my jaws
Had that many times going through the first few days, if you have some tiger balm on hand that can help, and it seems so pointless or hard to focus but even just gently massaging will help. It's the anxiety, so maybe even a B-50 complex (or called Stress-Ease or something along those lines depending on the brand name) I've found has helped in the past. This has been something that keeps me from sleeping properly, which has always been my most important part of recovery the first few days.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 662 (permalink)  

help!

Day one has been hell. And I capped it off by having my car battery die on me. Fortunately my boyfriend came to my rescue, but seriously - today of all days??? I really want a drink right now - trying to stay good.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 663 (permalink)  
p***enger

I started taking B vitamins but nothing is helping this tension headache so far. I can't concentrate on anything but I'm trying to let go of the worry about all the work i'm not doing -- given all the time i wasted not concentrating on anything but drinking, can't i waste a little time getting straight?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 664 (permalink)  

Can't waste anymore getting right than you could have wasted if you were drinking tonight instead of hanging in there. I know that headache so well, the one where 3 Advil's won't do anything, it'll go soon enough.

It's surprsing how fast it can swing sometimes, you go from pure hell insomnia/anxiety/panic attacks/worrying about all the things you have neglected to sleeping better/eating better/getting those things done you had been neglecting/anxiety & panic lessened because those things are done/feeling positive about how much better things seem to be getting all around, etc.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 665 (permalink)  

That's the thing Mittens, it just waits to exploit any emotion, good or bad it doesn't care, it just see's an opening to get some booze.

"Today was great! Best Day Ever! Let's have a drink!" vs "Today was horrible. worst.day.ever. Let's have a drink!"
Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 666 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mittens2020 View Post
Day one has been hell. And I capped it off by having my car battery die on me. Fortunately my boyfriend came to my rescue, but seriously - today of all days??? I really want a drink right now - trying to stay good.
You can do this... Don't give in... Stay tough!!! The first day is always the hardest... (for me anyhow....)
Old 12-18-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 667 (permalink)  

sister (who quit alcohol & drugs maybe 25 years ago) and maybe i'll 'fess up to her
I really can't see how this would hurt to do i.m.o. My mother and brother both have some issues I want to bring up, but being an alcoholic myself makes it harder (feeling like a hypocrite, etc).
Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 668 (permalink)  

you guys... my stomach is killing me. will anything help this... i am just so shaky and weak. i was doing ok today, until about 4 i couldnt take the shakes any more and i have to admit i drank a beer. it was disgusting. but it calmed me down for a second. and now i feel like total hell with nausea. i am not drunk and i am not drinking, but i do realize that tomorrow will technically be day one all over

the sad thing is that i am living with my parents right now. they are heavy drinkers, but i had to leave my home in another town because of a nasty divorce.... they dont know what i am going through right now. i want to confide in my mom, but i cant seem to open my mouth. she knows i am not feeling well, but not why. she gave me some pepto... maybe that will help settle my stomach....

i wanted to go to a meeting, but was feeling too ill. i will be going though, and soon i hope.

sorry to be such a downer... just feeling really sick right now.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 669 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better mittens - I promise...lean on us

WiggleIn - if you're in serious pain it makes way more sense to me to go to the ER rather than try and drink it away...if the pains related to withdrawal, drinking that beer could just prolong this whole unpleasant experience...and noone wants that for you.

Please see another Dr if this continues.

D
Old 12-18-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 670 (permalink)  

you are right dee. i know this. i will be talking to my gp tomorrow, he only referred me to treatment... but maybe i should just go in there.... i dont want to go to the er...
Old 12-18-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 671 (permalink)  

i drank a beer. it was disgusting. but it calmed me down for a second. and now i feel like total hell with nausea. i am not drunk and i am not drinking, but i do realize that tomorrow will technically be day one all over
Label it whatever, the important thing is you are back.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 672 (permalink)  

Day 8. I think this week has been relatively easy for me because I've had finals so I have barely had any free time. Went to the bar but I was the designated driver so just drank diet coke all night. Having a non-alcoholic drink in hand definately reduces the temptation for me.
Have been spending much more time with my ex? (not exactly sure where we currently stand), but the major condition if we are ever to be together is that I have to quit drinking. Not even to be together, it has to happen even for us to remain friends, he told me that if I ever drink again, he will act like I never existed and never say another word to me- I do believe him on this, and don't blame him for his position. This is a very good motivator for me to stay on track.
I had an interesting thought today. First deciding to go vegetarian has some similarities to quitting drinking (I went veg. for 5 years) Not that the two are at all the same, but when you first go veg, you really notice how meat is everywhere, and there is a constant temptation to eat it. It is also at many of the social functions you will attend, and many people will question your decision. You have to stick to the decision you made for yourself despite all of this.
Idk, I don't know if anyone else sees the relevance in this, I just found this thought helpful for me personally, because it's making me realize that I have been able to be strong in the past, I can most definately do it now
I have told all of my friends about my decision, and they have all been very supportive. I know they will definately be very helpful in reminding me of my choice if they see me about to slip up.
I think the biggest challenge now is going to be the holidays. In my family, they are surrounded by drinking. I know if they told them what was going on, they would be very helpful, but I don't think I'm ready to do that yet. I'll just have to be strong on my own, but I'm confident that I'll be able to do that.

Hope everyone else is progressing along well, and good luck during this holiday season, as I know many others have the same problem I do.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 673 (permalink)  
GWH

So, I was all set to sabotage myself here on day 11. Ugh.

I work in a field that has ridiculously high rates of alcoholism and what-not. It's because of the pressure and the stress. Well, today was a long day, and I'm off tomorrow. Uh oh.

I thought about the beers I had sitting in my fridge, and I knew deep down that I was going to drink em once my boy went to bed. I knew how crushed I would be tomorrow, and I felt the old anxiety kicking in before I even made up my mind. I just knew.

Well I went to the fridge to get my son a snack, and the beers were gone. What a relief!! HA HA HA! I had asked my wife to take them to a coworker last weekend...and she did. Gods bless that lovely woman, she did!

.......phew. Now I'm already feeling better. I'm going to have a great day tomorrow, and I'm in the clear because the temptation is gone and I will have to go out of my way to BUY beer now, which I will not do.

Thanks for listening Decemberists (and others). Cheers!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 674 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad gwh

D
Old 12-18-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 675 (permalink)  
GWH

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm really glad gwh

D
You told me to get rid of those damned things, Dee. Lol
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 676 (permalink)  

Wow- couldn't get on until now and there's over 50 new posts since I last posted last night. That is fabulous. It is so great to see people using this resource. Welcome to all the newcomers even if you are struggling it is a fabulous start to be here. Keep posting.

Closing down Day 18 here. It was a rough day at work but had a nice short outing with friends after work. Very relaxing and alcohol free. Keep on rockin' everybody!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 677 (permalink)  
GWH

Right on, TT. Good work on 18 (and on handling work stress in a non-alcoholic fashion...I'm working at that right now, myself)!

I have a feeling that December 2012 is going to be a very strong draft class.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 678 (permalink)  

Way to hang tough GWH even if it took divine intervention...
Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 679 (permalink)  

Yeah GHW!!! I had a similar day except I don't have to tomorrow off. Of coarse that never stopped me before. I knew that I was buying a bottle today. Feeling good hubby was going to be late, perfect for us closet winos. Buy it drink it hide what ever is left would t ya know it. My car turned left instead of right and home I came empty handed . Didn't really have to fight myself over it as much as before that must be a good sign is some sort! Any way congrats to all on keeping up the fight
Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 680 (permalink)  

Phew gwh