Notices

Class Of November 2012 - Part 4

Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Ugh! I just spoke with a good friend on the phone...we used to drink wine together. She was encouraging. But now I want to say "screw it". She drinks about as often as I did and she's not stopping. She doesn't feel guilty. Maybe I don't need to quit! I hate this feeling. I know deep down wine has a hold on me but some days I just don't care and want to drink! I'm 14 days sober and wanting to throw a fit...and have some wine!
Just needed to vent
Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Okay, I feel much better, the cold is 80% gone, and so, I am craving wine with Gray's Anatomy tonight! Good thing I have none in the house.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

Check out your old posts guys - neither of you came here for no reason

I had friends who drank and seemed fine too, Mel Girl - most of them still drink...

the thing was, it wasn't fine for me.
Fair or not, thats the bottom line.

Alcoholism is not a comparative thing IMO

D
Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a PSA, lol.

I see many people on the forums use valerian to aid sleep. It is a know liver toxic herb. Those with known liver disease are advised to not use it at all. There are a few others, but I remember this one. Just thought I would put that out there for those to consider, given a common history of heavy drinking.
Rochele's right.
Please check with your Dr or at least your pharmacist before taking any supplements, especially if you have any chronic conditions or are on medication.

Whats worked for others may not work for you or may not even be suitable. Thats why our medical advice rule includes over the counter stuff too.

It's generally fine to share our experience - so long as we leave it at that and don;t start recommending things for others.

D
Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Rochele, Nikki, Melgirl - congrats on 14 days. Melgirl - remember why you came here to begin with and don't give up on yourself. Rochele - push through those cravings! I found days 10 - 17 or so to be the hardest.

Congrats to everyone else racking up those days - stay strong everyone!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Checking in and checking out. I seem to post in bed then miss all the action while I'm at work due to the time diff!

Had a 'woe is me' angry at everything and everyone kind of day. Did 12.5 hours at work and went to AA cranky. Had a great chair, very enlightening and extremely funny guy. It has changed my whole psyche and I've font to bed much calmer tonight.

I've reached out to my higher power tonight. I need a sign, a something whoever/whatever my HP is.

I'm wishing I didn't make any plans for this Saturday now as I could do with a whole weekend to myself. I might change my mind but right now I want to cocoon again.

It's 6 weeks today! My life is significantly better. Just tell my inner brat that, sometimes!

Goodnight Novies xx
Old 12-06-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 weeks Sazzle! Take good care of yourself and do what's best for you this weekend. Get some rest - 12.5 hour shift, that's a killer!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Wow! 6 weeks Sazzle! Well-done, or as my Brit friend says, Brilliant!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Wow! 6 weeks Sazzle! Well-done, or as my Brit friend says, Brilliant!
Lol yes it us brilliant!

Thanks Guys. Got another long stint tomorrow at work as well. Roll on Saturday.

I've not booked the restaurant for sat lunch yet, perhaps my sun conscience is hoping its full booked!!

S x
Old 12-06-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations sazzle

D
Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hello all you beautiful people. I was just thinking how in AA, if you can't figure out the higher power thing, there is a higher power just in the Group Of Drunks

M girl, I saw a post http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-my-story.html earlier that reminded me of what you said. This woman is talking about her boyfriend who was clean for a wonderful few days, then his friend came over that was still using and convinced her boyfriend to get high. Shudder!

Rochele, Hang in there buddy. I hope you have something nice around that you can fix a fancy drink for watching Gray's Anatomy tonight!

I got myself all fixed up with candy and lots of bottles of sparkling mineral water, and an assortment of juices so I don't feel deprived.

Rented Men in Black 3 for tonight.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had friends who drank and seemed fine too, Mel Girl - most of them still drink...

the thing was, it wasn't fine for me.
Fair or not, thats the bottom line.

Alcoholism is not a comparative thing IMO

D
This is so true.

I've recently, within the last few days even, felt sorry for myself at times about not being able to drink like "normal people" do. I mean, why do I have to have this affliction, right?

When I start to feel that way, I'm reminding myself of a dear friend who died of cancer at 36. He knew he was going to die as soon as it was diagnosed and four months later he did. And never, not once, did he complain about his fate or say "why me?" - not to his freinds or to his family. If he can be that big a person while facing certain death, I can certainly put all the "why me?" stuff aside and handle a situation where at least I get to make a choice about whether or not it kills me.

Who am I to ask "why me?" anyway? We all have things we have to face. Alcoholism is one of mine. I would even go so far as to say that asking "why me?" is a form of avoiding the problem or delaying the work that needs to be done. It may even be part of the addiction. We know the situation and we know what we need to do. "Why?" doesn't matter. It's how it is. Now what are we going to do about it?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

JJay get in here and say something funny.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Paul, sorry got the loss of your friend. I had a similar thought as I went to our school today. About a month ago a teacher died. A sudden event, coma, and dead within a week. I think of her every time i go to the school, now. It makes me want to live a better life. So that is what I am trying to do.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Great post, Paul. I just learned a friends husband died suddenly on Thanksgiving morning from an embolism. Makes our problems in not being able to drink normally pale in comparison to the problems others are experiencing. Me not being able to drink wine anymore??? Nah.... Don't sweat the small stuff. And not drinking ever again is really small stuff in the scheme of things.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry VR - this isn't funny either...but I just lost a friend recently to cancer as well Paul - the courageous way he faced it throughout was a real inspiration to me too.

I'm sorry for your loss - and yours too Marine.

D
Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reality check. I need to change my perspective! I had cancer and didn't die. I should be grateful and quit complaining about the small stuff! Paul and Dee, I'm sorry about the loss of your friends. Cancer truly su***!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm still not a saint Mel - I still complain a bit and whinge and whine LOL
I think it's human

D
Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Sorry that was bad timing. I hadn't seen Paul's post. Was worried about JJay.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh sorry - I wasn't having a go in any case VF...it's all good

D