Notices

Class Of November 2012 - Part 4

Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Junebugapril View Post
Wino, did the owner of the Pittie show up? That must have been terrifying.
June, yes he did...but i was so much in shock that i couldn't even deal with him..i still had to walk another mile carrying my dog to get my car to go to the vet...this stupid guy is always there w his dog unleashed says his dog is friendly...yea ok, this is why i cant deal w ppl. Just stupid and selfish...well its late...end of day 1.. goodnight all
Old 12-06-2012, 02:56 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Wino - I am sorry about your dog. I know many pitbulls who are wonderful dogs, but unfortunately, they have such strong jaws that they are very dangerous if they decide to be aggressive. People who have them should be very sensitive to this. I'm glad your dog will be okay and good for you for recognizing that the wine didn't help. It's a new day and all of this is a process.

FMFT - I had the same urge last weekend! Instead, I moved them all back into the corner of my kitchen cabinet where they are hidden and no longer can be seen. No point in taking up valuable real estate in my cabinets any more! I think I will sell them next spring when we have our neighborhood yard sale.

June - that ham sounds delish! How thoughtful to take some to your elderly friend. Glad you're feeling better.

Rochele - hope you enjoyed the programs last night. We had a nice time watching together, although it was not a new Modern Family, but even the reruns are great.

Rock on all you Novies. Two more days until the weekend!

Charlee
Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Good idea on moving them Charlee, cabinet space is precious and I don't need quick access to those anymore. But maybe I'll secretly smash just one - as Sisterella suggested, it could be considered a fun family activity?!?

Have a great, sober day everybody. Whether continuing on or starting again, make today count! You can do it.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Originally Posted by ForMeForThem View Post
Good idea on moving them Charlee, cabinet space is precious and I don't need quick access to those anymore. But maybe I'll secretly smash just one - as Sisterella suggested, it could be considered a fun family activity?!?
Sort like a Jewish Wedding where they break the glass in celebration of the newly married couple. (at least I think that's what it means...I've only been to one wedding where they did that and it seemed like a celebration...)

All of us who were winos should do it and yell something in celebration of our sobriety. I don't know what'd we'd yell - "To H*ll with YOU, WINE!" might be my choice.

Okay, the coffee is making me punchy this morning. I got to get moving and get my dd ready for school.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Day 14, 2 weeks!

Wino, sorry about your dog! Yikes! Glad he will be ok. Stay with us, ok?

I gotta keep the wine glasses. Someday, I will need to serve others. Just the crowd we hand with. Lifelong friends, of dh, mostly. But nice friends.

Nothing exciting on the schedule today. Volunteering for a short time at school again. I shopped yesterday and bought Kale and other fresh veggies. Think I will try Kale soup again. I try to like Kale every once in awhile, lol. I eat healthy foods and like just about everything, and I can eat Kale, but cannot seem to really enjoy it. Hubby will be just as thrilled as me, lol, and the kids will not touch it. But, I do these things for my health...

Any good recipes?

Have.got.to.clean.my.house. I hate cleaning! So much clutter with the kids and paper from schools, boots, snow pants, sand from shoes and gloves. Ugh. I hate it because I have a bad back, mostly.

Well, have a nice day gang.

Ro
Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Good morning to all the November Knights!

Day 23 here. Already got my workout in at the gym. My bed was so warm this morning and it was only about 23 degrees when I woke up. It took a LOT of determination to finally roll out of bed and get dressed to go to the gym but I'm glad I did.

I'm really trying as hard as I can to just stay positive and not worry about things I can't control but sometimes it's easier said than done. For those of you at least a little familiar with the situation with my ex and the baby on the way it's just so frustrating and aggravating. I Emailed her three days ago just to see how the baby is doing and to see how she is feeling and if the medication the Dr. gave her was helping. No reply. Of course. Why should I expect one? She told my friend point blank she ignores me on purpose. *Sigh*. Nothing I can do about it though, right? May as well just try not to dwell on it and move on.

Have a great day all.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

So last night I had my first drinking dream. UGH! When the dream started I knew that I had already drank a beer and a half ( a local Balboa which I can't stand ) and I knew I was tipsy, but I wasn't feeling guilty or even upset. It was like the fact that I have quit drinking hadn't "clicked" in my head yet. Then my husband opened a bottle of cold chardonnay. I told him I wanted just a taste. As soon as the first drop hit my lips a wave of dread washed over me. What was I doing!?!?! Why had I started this again?? Why had I even drank beer that I don't even like?? Why had my husband brought my favorite wine into the house?? I wanted to spit the wine out so I wouldn't go against my decision to quit and then I realized that I had already been drinking.... I felt horrible, guilty, and depressed...

....then I woke up with a migraine... I really think the faux hangover was a tad bit over the top for my psyche to pull on me to today.

Glad the rest was just a dream!!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

A former member of these forums buried a wine bottle in her back yard. Her way of saying goodbye to the wine. She said it was very therpeutic. Held a mini funeral for the wine. Whatever works.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Trouble sleeping

Hi all, day 36 for me and feeling really good in myself. But having great problems sleeping over the past few days. Has anyone got any ideas.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Sisterella, I get the "fell off the wagon" dreams, too. It's usually either me driving home drunk or waking up after a night of drinking, in either case overwhelmed with guilt for having fallen off the wagon. And they're very vivid. Waking up from them is a huge relief.

Day 18, here we go: an easy morning of reading, guitar, and a workout, then a one-on-one with the counselor at the detox program, then a few hours in a coffee shop working on Step 4, then an AA meeting. Gonna be a good day, Tater.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Originally Posted by English View Post
Hi all, day 36 for me and feeling really good in myself. But having great problems sleeping over the past few days. Has anyone got any ideas.
I don't know if they sell it in the UK, but there's a product here called Alteril. It has melatonin, valerian, and l-tryptophan; three natural sleep aids in one. If you can't find Alteril, I'm sure you can find each of those individually.

And regular cardio helps sleep problems more than probably anything else.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
...Think I will try Kale soup again...
Great job on 2 weeks.

About the Kale - we get that for our bearded dragons. Every time I see it in the store I think its nice they keep it for people with pets because I couldn't imagine people would eat it. I know it is really high in vitamins and minerals though.

Thanume - exactly - wife gone, no moderation needed. Big problem.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Originally Posted by English View Post
English, I take something called Formula 303 from a website called earthturns.com. It is mainly Valarian Root, but has other natural ingredients. I don't know if they ship to the UK, but they might. I have taken Alteril as well. Since I've stopped drinking, I sleep so much better and hope you will start sleeping better too.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

English - have you tried Melatonin? It's sold in grocery stores and drug stores. It's a natural sleep aid and it's helped me in the past.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Day 14!!!!! Yippee!!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

English, I find that regular exercise helps me. Dinner earlier rather than later. Try reading a little too just before your bedtime.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Just a PSA, lol.

I see many people on the forums use valerian to aid sleep. It is a know liver toxic herb. Those with known liver disease are advised to not use it at all. There are a few others, but I remember this one. Just thought I would put that out there for those to consider, given a common history of heavy drinking.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Originally Posted by AnotherPaul View Post
Sisterella, I get the "fell off the wagon" dreams, too. It's usually either me driving home drunk or waking up after a night of drinking, in either case overwhelmed with guilt for having fallen off the wagon. And they're very vivid. Waking up from them is a huge relief.

Day 18, here we go: an easy morning of reading, guitar, and a workout, then a one-on-one with the counselor at the detox program, then a few hours in a coffee shop working on Step 4, then an AA meeting. Gonna be a good day, Tater.
For some reason the beer in my dreams is always terrible. Part of the dream is always thinking 'why am I drinking THIS'.

Paul - have fun with the guitar. I mess with the piano. I think it is an awesome healthy obsession. I am not very good, but I can really get lost in it. Found some old cat stevens tabs last night that I had fun with. Lots of GAD with just a few A7.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Nikki and Rochele, CONGRATS, H U G E congrats on two weeks. I am so happy for all of us that you two made it this far!

Rochele, I didn't mean we were in "how many days are you sober competition" last time I mentioned this, what I meant was our days are getting closer together. Like when you are a little kid and someone two years older than you is so much older, then when you are older, someone two years older than you is about the same age as you. Did that make any rambling sense? LOL

Sister, what a creepy dream. I had the drinking dream a few days ago. I felt really awful for caving when I woke up. I dreamed that I filled a glass with wine, drank it, poured myself another glass, drank that glass too, then hid the bottle.

LOL, WTF is with that? I never hid bottles in real life! I think the dream meant that I really wanted to "sneak" some wine.

I play a little guitar and a little piano. I studied classical guitar for a few years; now I mostly just bang around on it by ear, for fun. I wish I had a better singing voice because I do like to sing, but my voice is pretty lousy.

19 days for me. I am pleasantly surprised that I made it, had a few close calls where I really wanted to drink.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

June, I was joking when I had said that.

At some point I will not count days, maybe at a month. Then I can count weeks or months. The first time I stopped, I never even knew what day I stopped. Just got a call from the doc I was diabetic and needed some follow up, and a liver scan. So I stopped on a dime. Out of fear and for my health. I had never marked the day. Only knew it had been early September.

I really needed to get to a place where I just wanted to quit, to quit. To be truly done with it.