Notices

Multiple posts - please read.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation Multiple posts - please read.

Hi Guys

I'm a little concerned by the number of multiple posts being made - posting the same post in multiple threads.

I've tried to ignore it but it's getting epidemic.

First off it's technically against the rules.

5. Flooding: Any action apparently intended to consume board space or to hamper other member postings, including the posting of essentially identical threads into different forums or identical replies into different threads. This is called cross posting and is not allowed. Duplicate threads and posts will be removed without notice.
Second, I don't really see the point, certainly not on a regular basis.

Maybe I'm sensitive because I have to read everything, but it seems kinda dismissive to me, and to the people who take the time to read other peoples posts.

I'd like people to think seriously about what they're posting anyway.

As always I'm open to ideas, comments and submissions...

D
Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

i haven't noticed (but i generally go in a lot of the same threads i think)
i would think it being against the rules that the person should get a warning thru pm/email not to do that. and then be banned if they ignored the warning after being notified why they received the warning.
i would personally be offended to see that. threads i go into are conversations and i would hope that posts are thoughtful, geared towards the personal tone of the thread. i don't understand why anyone would spend the time to do that unless they wanted to get their post count up - again i wouldn't understand why. to me that constitutes spam.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not spam Gypsy - I understand that people are members of multiple threads and it's easier to cut and paste to keep up...

My worry is I don't think it's really reflecting what the threads are about tho.

If you want to be a member of a thread you should make time to post a unique message, yeah?

D
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the posters probably don't realize that they are breaking a rule, and a PM would do the trick?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

This isn't a smackdown ata ll

*Noone's* in trouble or in danger of being banned & I'm not mad - I wanted to bring this to everyones attention, thats all.

I thought this was the best way to do that.

I can't go against the rules anymore, but I did want to give people the right of reply - this will affect some members

D
Old 12-04-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also fail to see the purpose of repeating the exact same thing to a diffirent situation.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

I'm probably the main culprit in this but seriously? I've seen people start threads because they made a trip to the grocery store. Then later in the day the same poster will start another thread about another mundane task that really has nothing to do with the forum it's in. I'm sorry but I really think there should be some type of moderation in that area as well if what I do is considered "Flooding".

Maybe I should just take a break from the boards for a bit.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's best to keep discussion here to what I posted on Jay.

The ignore function might be the solution to your other problem.

D
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

I just want to say that it was never my intention to consume board space or to hamper other member postings.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would never suggest that was true of anyone here Jay.

D
Old 12-04-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How about suspension?
One day suspension for annoying posters?

Get the techie people to do techie thing to pick up the same post by a person and prevent reposting?

Brilliant!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Originally Posted by Hollyanne View Post
How about suspension?
One day suspension for annoying posters?

Get the techie people to do techie thing to pick up the same post by a person and prevent reposting?

Brilliant!
I think this warning should suffice. I don't think anyone is deliberately trying to annoy anyone.

It's been pointed out that people doing this didn't know they were going against community rules. Now they've been informed.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really wanted to get a dialogue going.... but if all we're going to do is get upset, or punitive, I'm not sure there's any point, guys?

The wording of the rule is wide....it saves us having 300 rules, y'know?

I never once suggested tho that this was a calculated effort or deliberate move to somehow be underhanded, manipulative or controlling.

With all due respect, I can't see why some people think punishment would or could be warranted.

D
Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I completely understand, and may have also cross posted. Not copying and pasting, but similar info in more than one thread. Point taken.

I guess, I was not sure, if we should or can be members of two groups, a month group, and a under 30 days, for example. The group varies a bit, so it seems reasonable to post in both, but the info will be similar.

You gotta do your job, Dee. I understand. I moderate at another board. Though we are very lightly moderated there.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for raising that Rochele: there's no rules against being a member of more than one thread, and no rules against posting similar information.

We only have one day in one life after all

The cutting and pasting I object to tho for the reasons I stated before.

D
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I assumed you meant people deliberately starting similar threads after a thread was closed and stuff like that.
I am deeply sorry for suggesting punitive measures.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

((Dee)) - I've seen multiple posts on different forums, reported it to mods, but I thought that they were new and didn't know better? I just thought the threads could be combined.

I know this is a busy time of year, we have a lot of newbies. I know, when I was new, I didn't have a clue I "fit" into so many forums

I agree with the pm and finding the best "fit" for the thread. I KNOW this brings extra work on you, and I'm sorry. I just know that a lot of people first post on the newcomer's thread, then are referred to another forum, so there ends up duplicate posts.

Quite honestly, though I know to be prepared, this time of year always hits me with the "OMG, where did they all COME from?!?!" feeling.

You and the other mods do an awesome job, and I appreciate it. Maybe it's just "that time of year"?

Love, hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Common sense needs to apply too

Sometimes there are legit reasons for double/multiple posts.
Newcomers finding the right forum is one of those

I'm only talking about posting the same post in multiple monthly or group threads.

Sorry if that was unclear.

D
Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

oops - hope i didn't come off sounding too hardcore. i was more thinking you meant someone who just copied and pasted the exact same wording to several different threads not caring about the person they were replying to. when i post replies, those are my heartfelt thoughts and was thinking it would be offensive for someone to just copy and paste the same thing in response to two different people's thread not reading or following the conversation.
i would most certainly want to be supportive to others the same as i've been treated here....
Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

no problem, looks like it was my bad - I needed to be more clear guys

D