Notices

Class of August 2012 Part 7

Old 12-23-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Slim, you were right about that pic of Stonehenge. That's me, facing away from the camera trying to discretely munch the doner kebab Steve got me. Grace I think is somewhere dancing on the heel stone!

I am relieved to hear now that kebabs are less risky than salad. Gotta love the media

HFA, a massive congratulations! You're doing brilliantly and I'm glad you're doing your best to figure out how to circumvent trigger times. Stay strong against the rough avs.

Erica, thinking of you and cole

Dang this is tough! I'm so full of fear at the moment it's crazy. But its not just fear either, its every horrible emotion i could have ... to the extreme. Ugh, to be honest I was nearly ready to give in over the past couple of days and planned to drink. i was lying in bed because i was feeling incapacitated (so silly!) and asked my boyfriend to get me a bottle- more to verbalise and play devils advocate I think but there's always the possibility he'll say yes. Thank goodness he said no though because i could well have given if he had bought some. And yes it would all be an illusion indeed.

But I have glimmers where I see its more to do with family emotional issues than anything as I'm going to stay with them tomorrow. Hopefully Once christmas passes this will ease too.

I'm a bit better today so fingers crossed. Bedtime soon.

Stay tough all xxx
Old 12-23-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
HFA

Apple..Isn't it funny how we plan to drink? How you can just throw that switch and go ..ding ding...drink. how we forget all the days we fought to get here. How bad it is when we do drink.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Apple, my sponsor told me on the phone today when I called crying and telling her I feel overwhelmed by everything and want to curl up in a ball and cry, she told me to just focus on the important things, that four months is a huge accomplishment and don't forget it, to focus on being with the people I love at Christmas and not how perfect the house looks, or how Norman Rockwell painting the dinner table is, but on the fact that we're together and I'm clean and sober. It helped me a lot to have her tell me this, and calmed me down to where I have stopped crying. We just ate some pork chops and are going to the mall. I plan to make cookies later. Tomorrow our older daughter and her bf are coming over. I am going to focus on being in the moment. Going to take a shower now. ((Apple))
Old 12-23-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay with it Apple...being sick always made me vulnerable too...I think it's the being uncomfortable with feeling bad thing?

Dee (the Druid guy in the pic )
Old 12-23-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

HFA, you're awesome, many congratulations on four months, you will do this.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I'm so tired, I've had a really busy day, cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning, why do we put ourselves through this for just two days? Madness!

HFA I've been on this board for virtually the same time as you and yes people come and go, as I did. I wish I had had the foresight to come straight back when I slipped. You did well, sounds like you had a rough night. I try to concentrate on one room at a time but it doesn't always materialise. The main thing is your sober, so don't worry too much about a bit of mess, family and friends will take you as you are.

Slim, you are so thoughtful. Some good words of advice given by you there.

Stairs, I'm so sorry about the house, that's such a shame, house buying is so stressful. It just wasn't meant to be, something else will turn up.
I'm sorry too that you seem to be having a 'black cloud' time, if there's anything we can do to help, please just say. Your sponsor is right, these moods are normal, we are still in the very early days yet and this time of year is particularly hard with all the added stress of Christmas etc.
You're a very strong lady and you will get through this xxxx.
Hope the day goes smoothly with your daughter and b.f tomorrow.

Apple, I think you'll find that's me with my back to the camera and wearing a stripey hat. I know that is my hat, I'd know it anywhere, it's in the cupboard drawer right now.
It's great that you are getting that support from your boyfriend, thank goodness he said no. I hope tomorrow isn't too daunting for you, be strong and stay as dignified as you always are. Quite a few of us seem to be struggling at the minute, so lets stick close nd keep posting, we will very shortly be looking forward to a Mew Year, New Year, new start,

Going to bed now to read a couple of chapters, so see you tomorrow

Sleep well
Old 12-23-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hey guys. I'm sitting in the ER with Cole. He is not doing well. It looks like he will be admitted for awhile. Not great timing with Christmas just a few days away but he needs help. I'm exhausted and really want to go home.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Thanks for your helpful words guys n gals!

Erica - how are things going since you last posted?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:27 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry - prayers for you and Cole, Erica.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

11.25 Christmas Eve
Hi all

It's lashing it down with rain here, don't think we'll be having a white Christmas this year. I went out first thing and got all my fresh fruit and veg etc, so that's it now all done and dusted, what we've not got we'll have to do without! I've just got a bit of vaccing to do and dusting etc then that's it. I'm going to cook the turkey later and prepare the veg.

Erica, thinking of you, stay strong. (( big hugs) Hopefully Cole will get the help he needs.

Apple, chill and breath, one, two three in and one two three out, breathe! Stay strong and rise above it all.

I'll be back again later if I get the chance, if not, have a happy, peaceful, sober Christmas all of you.xx

Just for today: I will be agreeable. I will
look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice
low,be courteous,criticize not one bit. I won't find
fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate
anybody else but myself.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Thank you so much to everyone for your kindness and support. This community means so much to me, and thanks for welcoming me back to the fold.

Originally Posted by SlimSlim View Post
(((NuWay)))

I like your attitude and actions. While you may have slipped, you have learned something from it.

To paraphrase George Santana, "Those who have not learned from the past are condemned to repeat it."

You have learned..."Whatever illusion I had about it being pleasurable was just that: an illusion... So that's what I'll take away from it: it can never be a "good" experience."

Sometimes we have to take that one step back before we can take two steps forward. Framing it in that context, as long as you have learned from it, is moving forward.

Slim
Slim, I found what you wrote especially helpful. Your insight and wisdom are much appreciated. Let me just say that I have very recent proof that being drunk is no way to live.

Erica, you and Cole are in my thoughts and prayers. May he get the help he needs. Hugs to your family.

Apple, I hope you're feeling better. Anxiety is such a hard thing--I'm so happy you've been strong and didn't give in to drinking. Well done.

I hope to be back later on today, so in the meantime, best wishes to you all.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's getting to Santa o'clock here - Merry Christmas to you all

D
Old 12-24-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Christmas should be such a joyous, serene time of year. Whoever came up with that wasn't going through their first one newly sober.
It seems that most of us are struggling in one way or another. I certainly am.
Prayers to all you guys. We'll get past these little, or big, bumps in the road. The alternative would only be temporary.
There's really not a third choice. We don't drink or we drink. Drinking over this crap would only mean that we (1) get to start all over, or (2) we resort back to the lifestyle that got us here. Neither sounds very good.
Happy Christmas Eve ya'll....may we all learn from these uncomfortable life events and come out on the other side happier, more useful folks.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Well, I got my Christmas miracle. Our insurance company didn't answer their phones last night so the ER couldn't get approval for admission. So we were sent home for the night and told to try to have a Merry Christmas. We will go back if Cole deteriorates again and he'll be admitted then.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
Christmas should be such a joyous, serene time of year. Whoever came up with that wasn't going through their first one newly sober.
It seems that most of us are struggling in one way or another. I certainly am.
Prayers to all you guys. We'll get past these little, or big, bumps in the road. The alternative would only be temporary.
There's really not a third choice. We don't drink or we drink. Drinking over this crap would only mean that we (1) get to start all over, or (2) we resort back to the lifestyle that got us here. Neither sounds very good.
Happy Christmas Eve ya'll....may we all learn from these uncomfortable life events and come out on the other side happier, more useful folks.
Right On, Bruce J!

Speaking of quoting and using other people's words, I like this one,
"move a muscle, change a thought". Have no idea where it came from, maybe Doctor Drew said it, but it definitely worked for me last night.
Got the house ready, just have to do a quickie cleanup on the kitchen, bake cookies and I'm ready.

I hope everyone has a nice Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas to the Aussies!
Old 12-24-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Erica:

Prayers for Cole, you and the rest of the family.

Sending hugs your way,

Slim
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Jodie and D:

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Slim
Old 12-24-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.

Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Three quarters through Day 18 and I'm really finding it hard going...Thought I was gonna slip yesterday as I was craving all day non stop...It was so bad I didn't eat a single thing all day...Today has been a little better but the cravings are still there....I am determined that this will be my first sober Xmas for 20 years....Take care....Steve.....P.S welcome back NUWAY,you helped me when I slipped,If there is anything I can do for you just holla....
Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Steve:

Keep fighting.

NuWay really put it in great perspective...it wasn't worth it for her nor for anyone else.

The AV romanticizes the allure of alcohol and having that drink yet we all know that is just an illusion and has nothing to do with reality.

Happy Christmas to my buddies across the pond.

Slim