Notices

"30 Days and Under Part 3"... Come & encourage them!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

23. 15 Fri

Hi all, popping in for my Goodnight check on you all.

I won't be here tomorrow until night time, going on a trip to York Christmas market which is about 80 miles away from where I live, so I've got an early start. I'm really looking forward to it as I don't get a lot of time for anything.

Welcome to you AnotherPaul, you're doing really well and congratulation on almost a fortnight, that's huge. You're lucky to be feeling so well in such a short time which is a good sign and you sound so positive, which is an even better sign. Keep reading and posting, you'll get loads of support here and the more the better!

FreezingDwarf (that's a funny name!) welcome to you too, you're not far off a full month which is awesome. Depression and mood swings are part and parcel of the roller coaster that is recovery, there are some good links here that help explain what and why you are feeling that way, I'm sure Dee will be able to point you in the right direction, I'm pretty useless at copying links!

Hi Wifi we love you too!

Hi Steve, I'm happy to see you're enjoying your food, have you managed to put some weight on?

Hi Jjay, You can get a dull one wherever you work, lets hope you get paired with someone with a bit more oomph next week. You did well to decline the invitation to the bar but it's a shame you couldn't find somewhere else to go. Have to have a good think of what else you could do.

With that I'm off, see you tomorrow night

Night night, sleep well
Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks Grace, I had a great noon meeting, and have been feeling better. My fiancee left me with two of the little boys this afternoon for 45 minutes, which I was really dreading, but ended up having a lot of fun (I think we broke some nursery school rules though).
The name is a play off my last name, I don't use it that often anymore, I have a logo to go with it, I will have to upload it for my Icon.

Have a great weekend all
Old 11-30-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJay View Post
Hey everyone. Home from work. Week over! I was paired up with a different co-worker today and he was pretty dull which made for a long day. Today, I had NO jacket at all. I'm glad I brought a hoody with me 'cause it didn't even reach 30 degrees today.

I was invited to a bar by my friend tonight and I had been struggling with whether to go or not and ended up deciding against it. I was really looking forward to getting out 'cause I haven't gone out at all since I've been back in MA (2 months).

Hope everyone has a great Friday night
Hey, yea stay away from the bars for a while, that is my thought. I went to BW3 with my son the other day, but we sat in the restaurant side. He said, "Why are we sitting here?" Wow what a great role model I have been!!

But sitting in a bar with friends that are drinking, what a bummer . That would be tough.

Have a great weekend, and congrats on the job. UPS takes great care of their peeps, hang on to that one!!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Unreal.. Here I go again... Reposted from the Class of November thread:

Well courage don't feel bad... I blew it... Made it through lunch. I then had to go to the mail store to fedex something for Monday and just couldn't help myself...

My AV said, "hey it's been a week, you deserve it."

So I stopped and picked up a couple of cold ones... I feel like total crap... The problem is I knew where I was headed but I didn't seem to have the tools to head it off at the pass...

So here I am... A failed Sep, Oct, Nov member... Is there even any place left for me?

I dunno...

Hopefully I'll make it to my men's stag AA in the morning so I can jumpstart day one...

I hate this...

Love you all,

Wifi - d0
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Originally Posted by Freezingdwarf View Post
Hey, yea stay away from the bars for a while, that is my thought. I went to BW3 with my son the other day, but we sat in the restaurant side. He said, "Why are we sitting here?" Wow what a great role model I have been!!

But sitting in a bar with friends that are drinking, what a bummer . That would be tough.

Have a great weekend, and congrats on the job. UPS takes great care of their peeps, hang on to that one!!
Thanks I appreciate the advice and support.

Right now this job is only seasonal. I'm bummed cause I'm really enjoying it. They said they may have some openings in late Feb/early March so I'll definitely be checking back.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

For all those struggling, this thread got me through.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...you-today.html

I posted on it whenever I heard my AV trying to con me. Remember when you are quitting you may safely assume ANY thought of alcohol coming across your brain is your AV!

You'll notice on this thread that I post less and less on it as time goes by. And that is because if you DON'T drink the AV moves on to someone else. If you DO drink all you are doing is showing the AV Enemy your weak spots so your enemy (AV) can pursue them further.

Also there were times I did not leave the house so that I wouldn't buy alcohol. I drove different routes to and from work to avoid liquor stores and bars. I refused all invites where there was drinking the first couple MONTHS. Instead I said yes to plays, movies, hikes, and suddenly realized the family and friends that I had that weren't drinkers were much more interesting then I had realized!!

I have total faith in you guys. BUT the real answer is for you to have faith in yourself. Push yourself. Be strong for yourself. Take CARE of yourself.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Another day just starting here,Day 19 I think....Cold and frosty here,still sore from the gym yesterday....Gonna go walk my dog....WIFI just get back on the waggon mate,I slipped many many times....Take care...Steve....
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Hey all.

Congrats to all of us on another 24 hrs sober/clean.

When I was doing a lot of relapsing one of the reasons I believe is because I was unwilling to change my playground and play friends. I would still go to the bars and hang out. Well it worked for awhile but all it took was that one night when I had lots of drama going on, and it was easy to pick up. After all I had been around it for weeks and silently white knuckling not picking up.
There are a lot of sober people in the program that get together and do lots of stuff. I just had to be willing to take that leap of faith and go meet some new sober friends. They have this saying in AA, you don't go into a cat house to play cards. Or if you hang around the barber shop long enough your gonna get a hair cut.

So I was sitting her minding my own business watching TV and I hear loud voices, didn't think much about it figured it was neighbors partying. Well it was the state troopers on their loud speaker yelling, "Turn off your vehicle I am not going to tell you again." Oh boy then I see the flashing lights, it was my neighbor who got a DUI he was so tanked I felt so bad for him. They also towed his truck which I find weird cause it is parked in his space where he lives, but yet they still towed it? All I could do is say a quick prayer for him and say thank God that's not me tonight. Been there done that more than once.
Okay enough out of me, hope everyone has a safe, sober, weekend.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi lovely people! Make it work, guys. Today MAKE it work.

Build today around making sobriety work! Carve away anything and everyone and every place that will lead you anywhere REMOTELY near a drinking road. Do you see? Break the chain several links ahead of that final link that connects you to a drink.

And get to know when you feel wobbly in sobriety. In those minutes, hours and days, go far away from what will lead you to a drink. Cancel plans. Go to a different store, one that is not next to a liquor store. Think several steps ahead all the time in the beginning!!

You won't always have to be like that later. But in the beginning, especially the first month, you MUST.

Everytime you alter your life to make a place in it for sobriety, you are telling it: "You are welcome here, Sobriety.. I want you as a big part of my life. I will make as much room for you as you need."

Today, make sobriety feel at HOME
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
Hi lovely people! Make it work, guys. Today MAKE it work.

Build today around making sobriety work! Carve away anything and everyone and every place that will lead you anywhere REMOTELY near a drinking road. Do you see? Break the chain several links ahead of that final link that connects you to a drink.

And get to know when you feel wobbly in sobriety. In those minutes, hours and days, go far away from what will lead you to a drink. Cancel plans. Go to a different store, one that is not next to a liquor store. Think several steps ahead all the time in the beginning!!

You won't always have to be like that later. But in the beginning, especially the first month, you MUST.

Everytime you alter your life to make a place in it for sobriety, you are telling it: "You are welcome here, Sobriety.. I want you as a big part of my life. I will make as much room for you as you need."

Today, make sobriety feel at HOME
I LOVE THIS!!!!!

Sending each of you specific, powerful, positive, vibes for you to be sober today and discover another piece of your inner strength transformed into outer action.

I'm a personal fan of staying far away from Red Lines. The haircut line makes me laugh every time.

Wifi, SO GLAD you posted. You can do this. You can and will discover the tools you need.

And woot, today is my 21 month anniversary. Thank you SR for support every single day.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

21 months!!?? WOW!!!
Thank you Frances for paving the way. It sooo helps to hear from those ahead. Congratulations!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Under 30-ies.

I've done with my deadlines, slept till noon, and have to clean up all the mess in my flat, I guess).

It's funny - yesterday about 11 p.m. I got a drunk call from my ex, no big deal, some blah-blah. Today he called me and told I need to sign some paper work (I did some work for his company). I asked him "How are you feeling today?" He was surprised: "Great. Why?" - "Well, You sounded pretty drunk yesterday." - "Did I call you yesterday?" He is not a daily or binge drinker, but when he 'socializes"...

Grace - I hope you are warm and you mood is great on this freezing foggy days.

Eternal - thanks for your inspiring posts. You are right, the major thing is to have faith in ourselves, it is something no one can deprive us of or take it away if we don't want to.

JJay - Maybe, UPS just has no jacket big enough for you))) Imao, you made a right choice not going to the bar. It's long-term thinking. Wait while your sobriety is more mature. And I'm sure if you give it a closer look, there are a lot of things to do apart from bars. I think it is important for recovery to think outside the box (like TGI Friday, everyone goes to bar, and so on) and be creative. There are some "outbox" activities I tried:

- sightseeing in my own city. Why not?
- free classes and webinars online - look for some you are interested in.
- I download audiobooks I had no time to read in my MP3 player, put on warm clothes and go for a long walk.

Maybe, some of this sound "non-conventional" for a Friday evening, but I dont' care.

WiFi - keep the faith. And, maybe make some changes to your sobriety plan? I think in early recovery it's essential to stay away from triggers by any means necessary - change the route if it goes near liquor store, avoid bars, plan far ahead to avoid boredom, etc. It sounds hard, but it pays off after all, once you give it a chance.

Freezingdwarf - congrats on Day 26 (if I counted it right). A good shrink can be a lot of help to cope with depression. Mine helped me through the toughest moments of my life. Don't let kids drive you crazy)

AnotherPaul - welcome! Glad to hear you are doing fine. And, It's just getting better, I can tell.

And my very best wishes to all!

Have a great day)
-
Old 12-01-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Frances, 21 months?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are my hero! 2
Old 12-01-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Midnight - they told me they accidentally gave the new one to someone else and they ran out! Unreal!

Day 18 starting up for me. I'm going out to breakfast with my parents in a little bit and then straight to the gym from there.

Woke up to a nice dusting of snow outside. Not enough that needs shoveling and just enough to look pretty. The perfect amount

Hope everyone enjoys their day!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I have not posted here, but will join in.

Day 9, so that makes me a member, right?

Still snowing here, JJ. Not sure what we are expecting. Need to check.

So, I am struggling with my hubby still drinking. Usually a couple on weeknights, but more weekends. He was out at a Celtic game last night, so no temptation to me, but I suspect he arrived home rather intoxicated. Which means he drove the mile+ from the train in that condition. I really don't know, since I only saw him asleep. he came up around 4.

My sobriety makes me notice his drinking all the more. I never got in the car, not since I made it home safely one nigh tin my 20s when I knew I should not have been driving. I just have always been careful after that. Only would drive if I had had 1-2 drinks and a meal, never more, and usually only 1 drink. I HATE drunk driving and it has been the source of a few serious arguments in our marriage, and makes me consider divorce. It is not often, but it should be never.

I Am sad.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Back in the saddle...

I am not going to give up... I will probably focus less on the number of days because that doesn't seem to be working for me. Today I will work on staying sober today...

Thanks everyone for the courage to keep going. I couldn't do it without you guys/gals!

Well I'm off to my Saturday Morning Men Stag group so I'll check in with you later...

Have a safe and sober day,

Wifi
Old 12-01-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Wifi: good job!! Both do not give up, and, DO NOT GIVE IN!!!
That is a winning combo.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

EQ- Thanks for those words. As always you tell us what we need to hear. Thanks.

Frances & Newby - Thanks for the words and encouragement (and congrats Frances on 21 months!!!!!!)
Old 12-01-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi All..Well got through Friday evening....First in a long time...Very grateful this morning.
Hope every one is having a good Saturday.

Jim
Old 12-01-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Had a bit of a tough morning. I little anxious for some reason and of course that made me want to drink. A phone call from a friend and getting out of the house to bring my son to basketball, seem to have helped. I feel calmer and ready for the rest of the day. Have a good Saturday everyone.