Old 11-22-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR and to the thread Amy

D
Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

NewLeaf, I'm glad you had time alone today and are feeling better.

Welcome wino1234. If I am missing any other new folks, welcome.

I had a good day and am in a bit of a food coma right now, but no wine. I had a moment of extreme irritation this afternoon and realized how much I numbed myself. I really am going to work on that. My dd wants to go shopping tomorrow morning at 5:30. It's crazy to me, but at least I won't be hungover.

I feel for those of you dealing with family issues or outside pressures.

Hope everyone has a good night. Day 8 done.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Welcome Amy. This was my first sober Thanksgiving in a long time too.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hey ID10t, Wish I knew what happened. I went out with my friends, said i would be home early. I believe there was a long stairwell that was slippery, I am pretty sure i was trying to go home and fell down the stairs. I have no recollection of this but when i checked the reviews of the club, everyone was saying the stairs were dangerous. maybe I am making this up in my head to feel better. I am not one to get in a fight and when i finally found my friends they said i was coherent and didnt think i got druged, so the conclusion I came up with was that i fell and got a concussion because i remember parts of the night after that happned. Next day was a sunday, so I couldnt see a dentist. Was in extreme pain, continued drinking to ease the pain. Finally went to the dentist and he said he didnt know how i could stand the pain. Spent about 8 hours there. my side tooth next to my front tooth was almost gone, my front tooth was half gone. He was able to save them, and gave me a root canal on my two front teeth and the one next to it. I may have to get implants on one or two of the teeth because they still hurt and its been about three months but he said to wait 6 months. I am lucky I didnt do damge to my face. Had a black and blue nose and my knee looked like I got hit by a car and hurt for months. one of my worst days. I just wish i could remember what happened. I still get a pit in my stomach. It was my favorite club and I dont think I could ever go back because how bad i feel about the situation. My drinking just got worse after that. So, hopefully I wont need implants but the teeth look good, I got lucky with my dentist. I lied and told everyone i just needed root canals. Crazy!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Aa

maybe this should be in another thread but I was thinking about going to an AA meeting but I am uncomfortable going to my first one. Any suggestions
Old 11-22-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in AA Wino, but I'm told this link is a good one to answer your questions.
Your First AA Meeting<

Feel free to post in the general Newcomers forum or even the 12 step forum too

D
Old 11-22-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

If you find an AA meeting that's listed as "Open" you can bring a friend or family member that's not an alcoholic if that'd make you more comfortable.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJay View Post
If you find an AA meeting that's listed as "Open" you can bring a friend or family member that's not an alcoholic if that'd make you more comfortable.
I have a friend coming with me but still very highly uncomfortable and get anxiety from it
Old 11-22-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Thanks, charlesavedme... in a bit of a food coma, myself! Numbing is the main reason I drink, so I'll be working on that too.

Have fun as you begin day #9 shopping with your daughter!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAmy View Post
A little bit about me, married for 17 years this coming sunday, 3 kids 12 year old son and 8 year old twin girls. I suppose I was a functioning alcoholic for the past 2 years, but the past 4 months I really spiraled into a sloppy, drunken mess. I was hiding booze in the yard, in my laundry room, drinking in the morning (never before work, but Superstorm Sandy gave me a lot of time off to be drunk as long as I was awake.) I have a great job (they don't know), great friends and my sister is very supportive.

Today is the first thanksgiving I wasn't hungover in the morning and drunk by noon. I feel a lot better but still think, "ah a glass of wine would be so nice right about now." I joined AA and am attending intensive outpatient therapy 3 nights a week.
AAmy
So happy you're on the road to recovery and that you're surrounding by so many people who love you. Congrats on your 9 days!!!

btw... I have twins, too, but they're 21 now. Hard to believe... Time flies!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ID10T View Post
ive been sleeping a lot, lately. id kill for a drink right about now, im forgetting what that initial buzz feels like. day 8 is almost in the books.
Trust me, ID1OT; the buzz isn't worth it ... especially after so many days sober. I made the mistake of giving in last night and am back on day #1.

Hoping that you're hanging in there! You can do it.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Welcome Aamy and Wino1234... AA - No worries... I've gone to thousands through the years.. If the groups are anything like the ones in my neck of the woods most will welcome you with open arms...

Newleaf - You sound better... Welcome back!!!

Those of you on day 11 or 12 thinking of drinking DON'T... I've done it twice in the last two months and both outcomes were train wrecks...

I love all the posts (even the rants)... Keep it coming... Whatever it takes to stay sober!

Hope everyone had a great day...

Wifi - closing out day 2...
Old 11-22-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Wino, its much easier to go to a meeting than you think. If you have a choice, you can go to a speaker meeting and try to sit near the back (and the coffee). That way you get to just break the ice, hear someone's story and get a feel for some of the other folks in there but you can have as minimal interaction as you would like. Then go to a discussion meeting, and in most, you don't have to talk. I was at one or two, where they went around or called on pp and it made me extremely uncomfortable. But then I found out you can just say "Hi, I am (insert first name) and I'm here to listen. They will welcome you and move on.

Later I became comfortable talking in the rooms, but not right away.

If you want to go, you will be missing out on something if you don't check it out.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Wow a Thanksgiving without anything to drink. Wow. Kitchen is all cleaned up, kids are mellowing out (twins + 1), feeling full and great. One thing I really hated about drinking and entertaining was doing the cleanup wasted. Tonight we just put on some Christmas music, cleaned and ate some more. I hope everyone had a good day. Thanks for all the posts.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Had a quiet Thanksgiving. Went to the gym this morning. Had Thanksgiving alone as most of you know (my choice). Watched A LOT of football. Caught a few zzzzz's in the afternoon. Cleaned up the kitchen. I'm now 10 minutes away from starting day 10 of sobriety. I know it's not a ton but I'm psyched to get into double digits.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

And Day 20 begins with a clear head and a thankful heart!

Worked through Thanksgiving to keep busy and had my partner with me so I didn't miss the food overload and definitely didn't miss the booze. In fact, it was my best Thanksgiving ever, because in the true sense of the Holiday I was focused on the things I am truly thankful for-- life, health, loved ones-- instead of over eating and boozing. Truly thankful for SR and all of you motivating, inspirational people who I turned to almost three weeks ago in an effort to turn my life around and be a better me. Thanks guys and gals!

Hope your day is bright and promising and everything you want it to be! Have a good weekend my friends in sobriety :-D
Old 11-22-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Welcome AAmy & Wino. It's great to have you on board.

Wino, I went to my 6th AA meeting last night and laughed so much. It was a great experience, we listened to a chair who had 11 years sobriety. He was 27. He joined AA at 16. He was such an inspiration as he realised at such a young age what he was and where his life would take him if he didn't seek help to stop. 16. Wow. He was an absolute scream, had a wicked sense of humour and was someone everyone just clicked with in the room.

He helped me so much as my AV often tells me I'm too young for AA (im 36!) or I can drink again in moderation (yeah right. Tried that really badly for 18 month but still the voices!!)

Have a great Friday everyone. Another week under out belts and a clear-headed weekend to fill with meaningful things to do or to just invest some well deserved chill time in our exhausted little bods!

S x
Old 11-23-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Day 13 not as bad as day 11 and 12 made it throogh Friday after works drinks had to test resolve. wanted to so much but did not

Week end to face now and right now surprisingly not anxious about it but know i need to keep guard up

Be strong all
Old 11-23-2012, 12:11 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hey Gorc. Well done. I found day 14 onwards much less challenging. I've got my Friday night in about 10 hours! It's my brother I laws leaning drinks and so ive made plans with my sister to stay for a few then grab a meal out with her.

Enjoy the weekend.

S x
Old 11-23-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Good morning. Luckily dd decided that she wanted to sleep this morning and so I am having some coffee and just started the diswasher with the final dishes from yesterday. Good to hear from many of you this morning.

Sazzle, your post about someone telling you that you are too young to stop because you are only 36 hit hard. I wish I had your insight to stop then. I am 42. We all hear that alcoholism is a progressive disease and I always thought that was true for other people but not for me. Then, last Wednesday night, I was sitting on my sofa watching TV. I had d drunk over 2 bottles of wine over the course of the day because I was home with a sick child and in that stupor of complete self-loathing, I realized that I have completely lost control over how much I drink. I knew I had to go to work the next morning and that I was going to be hung overand that all that wine was going to seep out of my pores. I spent Thursday at work so miserable and self-concious. We need my income to keep our family going and I thought, what if I lose this job because someone finds out about my drinking? And I how much worse could I get?

I didn't really decide at that point that I needed to stop forever. I thought I'd just take a break. Then I found SR and this wonderful group. It truly changed me. I wish it happened earlier for me, but am glad I didn't wait another 1 year, 5 years or whatever. I don't know where I would have ended up. I still don't know, but at least I feel like I'm moving upward. My favorite song right now is Katy Perry's Wide Awake. It how I feel about my relationship with alcohol.

Sorry for the long post. Feeling reflective this morning. I am thinking of those of you facing challenging situations this weekend. Thankful for everyone in this group.