Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 19

Old 03-20-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks Frances - it'll be OK - and big congratulations to you!

D
Old 03-20-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Great news, frances! (or lack thereof, ha.) Yep, been thinkin about Dave, too.

It's great to hear your optimism, aussie. I know what you mean, I'm an Autumn person, too. I always feel so good when it starts to cool off and the air is crisp and leaves are changing and I can put on a sweatshirt. I always did my best quitting in the fall. Ok, not my BEST, but I always felt inspired to quit stuff in October, so I know exactly what you mean. I know you can do it!!

Sorry bout your back, dee dee! Ice and Motrin! (cuz I'm sure you've never heard that before.)
Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  
orangutan

Nope never heard of it. lol.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think thats American for nurofen aussie

D
Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
orangutan

When I first read it I thought it said mortine . lol.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I have a mosquito problem too - maybe thats the cure all?

D
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
orangutan

Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

You Aussies...you crack yourselves up! LOL.

Congrats to Frances!

I've wondered about Dave as well. I see a little on fb, but not much. More from PBC. Both had birthdays recently. Speaking of which, a little script from my head this afternoon.

Me: 16 days feels great. But, you know, I've been real good, working hard, and today is the last day I'm in my 40s. I deserve a drink.
Also Me: Yeah! A drink! You'll be 50 tomorrow, so have a last drink before you finish a half-century.
Me: Hey (wife) lets go have drinks tonight (assent).
Also Me: Yeah, a drink...a pre-birthday celebration. And maybe I'll have one on my actual 50th.
Some other guy who wants to be Me: what the F... am I thinking? I'll feel like crap if I have drinks tonight. I'll wake up miserable and tired, and wont get all that I've got set up to do tomorrow finished. My gut will ache, my bowels will burn, my chest will become tight. I'll need to used Ritalin just to be "normal", and maybe vicodin to kill the pain.

So...tonight, I'm some other guy who wants to be Me, but I have to admit, I got pretty excited about having a drink. Fortunately, the drink didn't happen. Happy Birthday to me.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday for tomorrow Lofty

D
Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thanks, Dee. I feel great this morning, so I can get off the pity pot, i guess. At least for now...
Old 03-21-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a great day mate

D
Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

!!!!!HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY LOFTY!!!!!

Good job navigating through the voices last night. YOU DID IT! Good job hearing them and going WHOA THAT'S NOT COOL.

The following said with all my love and enthusiastic pathologically optimistic belief in EVERYONE OF US MARCHERS having a love-filled, healthy happy life.

You can't drink alcohol. Why are you entertaining and hosting those Drinker Lofty voices? Kick them out! I promise you that there is SO MUCH MORE than the momentary lifts we used to get from booze.

Who you are today is who you will be in 5 years. Who's that going to be? I'm betting on the sober, healthy, spiritually-connected, purpose-driven, successful Lofty who woke up today FEELING GREAT. That guy doesn't drink. Ever.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thanks, Frances! I believe you are correct!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Sorry, maybe I shoulda said "ibuprofen" and not "motrin"!

Wow frances, that was a beautiful pep talk, l loved that!

Happy birthday, Lofty!

:day

50 years..what a great time to choose a healthier second half of your life! Hope you have a great day. Grill somethin, you love that! Oh and I just got a book..like JUST now, on my doorstep...got it for 8 bucks on Amazon. It's called The Gardener and the Grill: The Bounty of the Garden Meets the Sizzle of the Grill. Sounds delish, right? I want to grill more vegetables this summer.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Gotta love Amazon, huh?

Thanks for the birthday wishes!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

2 years

Hi everyone,
I haven't been on in many months and I don't think I've posted since last year's anniversary but it's been (over) two years since my last drink and I thought I'd post an update.

Generally speaking, things have been going well. I have changed cities and jobs a couple of times. Maybe I got a little over-confident and I may have bitten off a little more than I can chew with this last job but the salary and conditions are so good that I said to myself it was worth the long hours and insane stress. When everything calms down it should be a great environment for the future though. I'm responsible for creating a new department (with big resistance from certain parts of the company and loads of politics...) - when I think of myself two years ago and now it's certainly been a transformation!

I think I'm pretty much in "long-term" mode now, at least in terms of alcohol - whenever I go out with new people it's still awkward refusing alcohol and occasionally after a particularly stressful day I'll think about having a drink but it passes quickly now, and it's getting rarer and rarer. I had put off the real work on myself until I got a job I could be proud of (which I have now) and in many ways have just been focussing on that. I suppose an addictive personality is something I will always struggle with though - I am a bit of a compulsive series-watcher now (sci-fi mainly) - I spend entire weekends glued to the box and have made absolutely no effort to make proper friends... It's been a nasty winter though and when the sun comes out I'll get out more - I hate winter! In some ways I guess I'm still at risk while I don't do the work though. I need to start some productive relationships (and get a girlfriend!) and start getting some proper balance in my life. I know that I have this deep insecurity inside me and until I get a handle on that then whether it be alcohol or something else, it's always just waiting there like a warm cocoon to numb the nastiness (tv is surprising good actually...).

Anyway, I see there are still many people active in the March 2011 thread - you all rock! Keep strong guys, we can do it!
Cheers,
Toto
Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

I totally agree with Frances too
no worries mirage - pesky brand names..enjoy grillin'

great to see you toto - congratulations on your sober time...

and...time for a new thread...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-20-a.html

D