Notices

Class Of October 2012 Part 3

Old 10-27-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Germanos, I am just joking. Do not take it too seriously. One friend of mine once told "You know, I have no idea, when you are joking or when you are talking seriously." For me it is easier to take the world with some sense of humor.

Sorry)

I absolutely agree, that knowledge is power, and all people are different.

P.S. I've just read the article "Alcoholism & Other Addictions" and according to this all the mankind is at risk))).
Old 10-27-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

I didn't take it wrong, all good
Old 10-27-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Day 27 and the cravings are slowing, even for food. I have a charity event I volunteered for next week. It's a beer festival. I didn't know that. Part of the proceeds go for charity and that's cool and all but hauling around and serving beer all night may be a huge trigger. But planning ahead and knowing now what to expect I should be fine. Leave it to Nevada to always have alcohol at any event.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I'm back

I'm back and I'm going to try again. This time I'm armed with different strategies. I had benefited in the past from Al-non (although some of it didn't sit right for me) so I had thought the only way I would be able to quit myself would be to go to AA. I don't want to do that for many reasons. After reading a lot on this site I've learned that many have quit successfully without AA. I sat down and talked to my spouse this morning about my quitting and it went well. I'm going to talk to my friends too. This is were I went wrong before (didn't tell them). Now I'm off to pour out the rest of the wine in the house. I know very well for me that I can't have booze in the house....it's just tooooo much of a temptation. Till later.
Namaste
Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Welcome, Delilah and BigSky Blues! Yay, another rocky mountain person in the Octsober group!

RV, I can't imagine halloween weekend in Vegas. I used to live in a ski town, and it was madness. Almost as bad as New Year's Eve. Watch some good movies or something!

Germanos, great info. Haven't read the article you linked to yet, but I will. Alcohol cravings are definitely related to blood sugar issues. One of the (many) times I've tried to get sober I spoke to an herbalist/naturopath who explained that alcohol addiction is very much a sugar addiction - alcohol is a sugar. So I am here eating a bowl of oatmeal with a banana and cinnamon. I feel so much better when I eat healthy and exercise. What did you do to kill your calves? I am also an avid exerciser, so I love reading your posts!

Black, I've dealt with depression my whole life. I am not currently on meds, but have been in the past. They aren't addictive (but note that the benzos, often used to treat anxiety, are addictive). I personally find that meds only work if a) I'm not drinking, b) am exercising regularly and c) eating healthily. I agree with Dee, you should see a doctor.

Cheryl, glad you're back.

Day 8 here. Glad to be sober another day!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all.

Hope all of you have a good sober weekend.

My Day 13 is almost over. My spirit is almost done. I am just a walking machine without no emotions left but fear about the future. Well, good news is that machines do not drink.

My best wishes to all.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hi SR PEEPS, hope your weekend is sober and well, it's a busy Saturday here in nowhereville!!! Broomstick is still in closet, I'm still sober, God is good! I shall return at some point today or tomorrow! Love and support to all my recovering friends!!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't volunteer at a beer festival, RV.

It's a step up from a social event where's there's alcohol - it's an event *about* alcohol.

I couldn't do that in early sobriety.

I wouldn't even do that now - I'm a non drinker - I just have no business being at those kinds of events

D
Old 10-27-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Tonight I'm taking my wife and her friend out to a nice cocktail bar for Halloween. A bit nervous about being around all the booze but I'm confident I can abstain. Wish me luck
Old 10-27-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I'll just treat it like a job. They need people with a state alcohol license and I have one. I have been around alcohol many times this month, even last night and it has gotten easier every time. I enjoy doing charity work.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Off to a gig again... these are big tests as I am in the dragon's lair, so to speak...
I'll be strong.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Evening all. Day 8 done and dusted :-) Still feel angry/ like crying/ anxious all the time but compared to this time last week all is good! Now I just need to sort out everything else in my life that booze and anxiety have ruined! Hope everyone has a good weekend and stays strong, especially if you're facing a booze related situation (a reason I'm grateful I have no friends and no social life - at least going out and drinking isn't an option!).
Old 10-27-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just sharing my experience guys

I wanted to put the past behind me and attack adventures new and road test my sobriety...but I both over estimated myself and under estimated my addiction many times.

Living sober is a skill - and it took me a little time to develop that skill.
I didn't start lifting 300 pound weights on day one, y'know?

That being said, I'm not Everyman, and I know everyone's path is different and it's one we need to mark out for ourselves...

best wishes to all of you facing challenges this weekend and soon

D
Old 10-27-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Good evening.

Lilac, I am honestly not sure how I stressed them out so bad. I have never had them that sore in my life. But I did 10 miles on the intervals on the bike, and then ran. Then did my leg workouts. Also ran/biked everyday last week. Then add construction work to that. I guess they just needed a break. They loosened up a little today, but by the time I was wrapping up work my gym was about to close. I was at least going to do chest and biceps today. Oh well, I'll do some pushups and then hit it up tomorrow.

Welcome back Cherl, good to see you!

I am not sure what to do, I kind of had a slack day today so I feel guilty for not really accomplishing anything today. I may just keep relaxing and get back to productivity tomorrow. I don't want to burn/overstress myself out. I'lll still do pushups though :p
Old 10-27-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, 1 full week under my belt after tonight. It feels like it has been longer.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats to you Germanos - you too Kam - and to all celebrating today whether it's day one or 28

welcome back Cheryl

D
Old 10-27-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Happiness Germanos - keep that positive attitude going!

I did my mentoring work today - If you want to have a full workout - hang out with a 12 year old. I was climbing ropes, going down slides, going through moving bridges etc. I had a blast. I was the pied piper of kids - esp at the rope web. I was saving kids left and right getting them through the ropes or getting them down. Most just wanted attention. If I had a kid I probably would be on the bench with the other moms and dads checking cell phones. I'm sure they looked at me and was thankful they got to rest.

Of course my hyper kid started ripping flowers off people's lawns on the walk home and I kept grabbing him just in time to save someone's last rose of the season. Of course I fell doing this and skinned my knee and I am in all sorts of soreness. I am so tired.

Good night all and happy weekend!

LB

I did not smoke and I did not drink. And I got to see pumpkin chucking. I love my days with the kid.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Made it through Day 4, felt pretty comfortable not drinking on a rare night out so that's cool. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Thanks everyone and have a great night
Old 10-27-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds good ladybone

D
Old 10-27-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

14 days sober.

I think any day I don't think about alcohol or have an urge to drink, is a great day. Have a great weekend SR family.