Notices

Class of October 2012 Part 2

Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Welcome Furnaceman,Utfan and sobrietyg4

Love reading your posts Natalie

Evening here-it's getting dark so quickly. winetime-NO NO NO.So much of this is changing mindsets and habits.As The Wise One (aka Dee) once said to me-it's all about making new associations

I agree Dutchie,some of the things I've done are awful. It does ease over time.You have to forgive yourself, let it go. Don't let it eat away at you.

Hope everyone is ok
Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dee I wonder if Tolle's approach would be of any benefit to you. I know it's not for everyone. Are you familiar with his books?
Yeah I've read some Tolle Natalie - never really did it for me but I can see the benefit in it

I don't think it's staying in the now problem for me - that's a whole other post LOL...I really had to work hard at that.

I'm think just wired to do things really quickly, brain going a hundred miles an hour - always been that way

It's not a problem for me - it's just me

If this is a recent development, maybe JaiDee's on to something with the hyper thing for you misterritter?

welcome to the thread Furnaceman,Utfan and sobrietyg4

D
Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I really really need a drink, ive just found out my nikon slr camera has been dropped. Had a bad day at work, so i ended up staring at a bottle of jaques cider.

After 10 minutes of staring ive taken myself to bed and havent touched it.

Even on a good day i could convince myself i need one so thats why i stopped, hope everyone else is ok
Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I had to race straight home after work today, so I wouldn't stop anywhere to pick up something. Mondays are really hard for me for some reason--like I needed to treat myself b/c I got through one?

Sitting in the tub trying to decompress. Ate something<--that always helps with my cravings.

Welcome to new members and sending good sober vibes to all!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

lilac - just keep trying, the good thing is you are here and still have the desire to stop. Alloy great job on not picking up a drink!! Have a great evening everyone!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by alloy View Post
I really really need a drink, ive just found out my nikon slr camera has been dropped. Had a bad day at work, so i ended up staring at a bottle of jaques cider.

After 10 minutes of staring ive taken myself to bed and havent touched it.

Even on a good day i could convince myself i need one so thats why i stopped, hope everyone else is ok
Way to go for not touching it, Alloy! You'll feel even better about your decision in the morning I bet!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Day 2 again for me. Attended a funeral on Monday. Met with family at the local pub and really wanted a coffee but my mother bought me a wine because she wanted a wine and i felt a bit silly, couldn't say no. Everyone else had coffee and i had to drink it quickly so of course it went straight to my head and all I could think of was having another drink after the service!

So of course I got tipsy at the wake and drank a further 2 bottles when I got home. Needless to say I had a horrendous hangover yesterday. Couldn't even take the kids to school. Not good.

So I called my mum yesterday and said I've had enough, no more and don't offer me wine again. So I'm back at day 2. Still feeling wrung out but strangely confident that I can do it this time. I read all the posts and feel comforted and revved up to stay sober.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Festiva

I used to think I couldn't say no too - but nowadays it's not melodramatic to say my life really depends on it.

I hope you can make this a turning point for you

D
Old 10-09-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Trying to make it a whole week

but never seem to get there. So I'll keep coming here ... and keep trying

2 days is better than none. Tomorrow it will be day 3. again.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoWringWraith View Post
but never seem to get there. So I'll keep coming here ... and keep trying

2 days is better than none. Tomorrow it will be day 3. again.
The first week can be tough, just try to take it one day at a time Just hang out here if you have too, lots of great people here that understand.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Well, fellow October starters (or restarters, if you're like me), I got through the tough part of day 1. After work I went to the gym. That pretty much settles it for me for the night. I won't drink (there isn't any in the house and after a workout sparkling water tastes so much better than booze). I am just debating whether to try to stay awake for an AA meeting. There is one at 8pm. I am usually (especially when sober) in bed between 8:30 and 9:00. I know, kinda lame. But it's less lame than being permanently numb.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Today is one full week for me sober- something that I haven't done for at least the past 9+ years. Something just feels different this time around. I am more confident by the day that I will be able to abstain for good. Hopefully this feeling continues... Just got back from some fun waves and off to work. Feeling very grateful for what I have today.

Hope that everyone is doing well, and welcome to all of the newcomers. Stay strong!!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Day 8. One of my dear friends lost his life to drugs and alcohol. A deadly combination. I don't know at this time if it was intended suicide, but he was found this morning. 2 days after the 4 year anniversary of his brothers suicide. It's a sad situation, I know how much he struggled, and I can say with great honesty, that this event has driven me further away from the drink than I have ever been. It's scary people! We need to stop playing Russian roulette. This disease is non discriminating, and the very next time u pick up could be the last, ever. I am very happy and humbled to be sober today. I'm making it count, I hope you all do too! Good night.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

fallingtogether, I am glad that you are happy in your sobriety. And I am so sorry for the pain you must feel in losing your friend.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Day 3 coming to a close, reading plenty but not much to say for once.

'ceptin welcome to all the new folks and thanks again for the company everyone.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Got home from work and immediately wanted a drink. I have a huge wine rack full of nice wines from trips to sonoma, napa, etc.. I realized my trigger was just getting home from work to relax and wanting a drink. Pathetic huh? I fought the craving and have had a nice day 9 of sobriety. I did nothing but watch tv. And that's ok. The cravings are getting easier to control and there is a light at the end of this tunnel. It's hard work. Hang in there everyone, never give up!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Morning all from across the pond!I love waking up in the morning and rushing down to read what you've all posted overnight.

Sorry to hear it was a difficult day for some. great job alloy in not drinking

Revivingophelia-eating helps me too.still craving ice cream which I need to stop really.eating sugar just makes me want more sugar and as I'm on the brink of type 2 diabetes, I do need to stop sugar intake.

Festiva-I worried about saying no too but realize I have to put myself first in this,not try to make others happy. I soon saw that most people don't bother at all if we say no/don't drink-we read too much in to it as we have a problem.I hope talking with you mum helped

Congrtson1week 4surf and day 3obladi

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend fallingtogether

Redviper-maybe give the wine to a friend or hide it away?It would be too dangerous for me to look at so early on.

Nowringraith=it's my third attempt this time -let's make it the last-we can do this.Tell yourself you can do it and will do it. I'm not saying it's easy but it's possible and so worth it.

Day 12 for me. Usually I'd be thinking of drinking tonight as last day at work but NO NO NO., I didn't last Weds and won't tonight. I shall have an early night and look forward to a refreshing day tomorrow.

Have a lovely day everyone
Old 10-10-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Well its morning in england. I so didnt trust myself. The first i did when i got up was see if id drank the cider in my sleep, its still all wrapped up and untouched. Its now in the bin.

I still havent been able to tell my other half what im doing. Tried in the past. But wveytime i omit to a failing. Its used against me in arguments. So i plan to reveal all when im a month sober.

I need to go aa but its hard as i mostly work late shifts although i have thursday friday off so thats 2 sessions i can go.

Hope everyone is doing well
Old 10-10-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Day 2 and feeling not to bad. I know this will not be an easy journey but I have to either give up the booze or lose everything as a result of it. I am sure anger is one of the stages of this journey? as i feel a little anger in my gut and it is all towards my hubby who is a saint and loves me dearly, believe me he had plenty of abuse from me verbally in the past.
I also contacted an alcohol counsellor and made an appointment to see her next Tuesday morning.
Is there always an underlying problem to alcoholism or can one just like the taste of it. People have told me there is always something else going on. Should I write a plan of action especially for the weekends my problem time.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 01:15 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Day off still feeling mad at myself but hopefully soon that will pass weekends are the hardest for me so planning ahead

hugs to everyone hope you have a great day catch up more later busy day in work