Notices

Class of August 2012 Part 5

Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Good afternoon all , day 51 here!
Feeling much better today, thank goodness. My lungs are a little sore from so much coughing due to post nasal drip. How lovely.

MHP, yes of course dump the vodka, I agree with the others....I realize I'm a little late with responding lol. Better late than never ! And I agree that sharing is overrated.

WTH, Glad you found a good meeting. Mennonite meeting houses, we have those around here too!

Grace, I like the way you describe your car cleaning, I got a visual of a happy smiling car on it's birthday.

LLG, acting classes sound like a blast either way and a challenge!

Erica, whew that sounds rough having the hubs away so long. You are doing wonderfully!

LSC1, Great about your fun time with your daughter, and it is ironic how you are filing a claim now sober.

Nuway, definitely more peace of mind now. I used to have so much anxiety due to hangovers then feel like a failure due to drinking, whew it's much nicer to just be somewhat even keeled.

Stevie, great that you were able to abstain and be up front with your visiting friends.

Slim, thanks and it's been a dreary few days weather wise down here in PA as well. I turned the furnace on for the first time over the weekend to get the chill out. Today is a bit warmer.

Pan, I had an older sister like that who was the "perfect" one but luckily also had a brother in the middle who acted as a buffer. When she's drunk she brings it up, how she felt sooo bad that our parents always held her example up as a standard for me and our bro. Truthfully because of the age difference of 8 years it didn't impact me that much.

Thanks for the support on the HHA situation. I did put up an indoor clothesline and think I'll pass on looking for that dryer completely. I can always run the big blankets up to the laundromat.

This evening I start my Literacy Council training and looks like Sweetie is coming along. Shouldn't be a problem as she is very well behaved. M had agreed to take her like it was no big deal but now he is speaking at an H&I thing in a rehab which has been "planned for months". So whatEVer. Lol.

Otherwise I have been calling my sponsor every day and reading out of the "Just For Today" book, and the first step.

Have a good day everyone!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi Jojo, yes ice! Quite thick ice too, I wasn't expecting that! My lawns are desperate for a cutting too, but the ground is just too wet. You really do have a hectic week, you'll be more than ready for that holiday. I wish you luck on Thursay with your exam and also for Friday for your interview, though I'm sure you won't need it!

Hi Slim, you sound quite content, hope your training goes well tonight. It's a good thing you can take Sweetie with you, seeing as M can't watch her! Glad to hear you're feeling a little better and hope you soon get rid of that cough!

see you later

Gxx
Old 10-09-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi guys just a quick check in as I'm posting on my phone from my sons karate lesson.After having my friends visit all weekend and resisting temptation I find myself having a bit of a craving today.Don't know why but I have had it all day.Think I'll get myself off to bed once I get home and hopefully feel better tomorrow.Take care all....Steve....
Old 10-09-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

Steve,
I always used to find whenever I got through something and didn't drink, I'd get hit by cravings after it was over.

I think maybe a little part of me still wanted to be that normal drinker like my mates, maybe your addiction is fanning that and playing games with you - suggesting that cos you did so well on the weekend you might have control now?

It's nonsense mate - don't feed it and the thoughts will die

D
Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Hi all. Rounding out Day 6 here. Another big, fat, triggering argument with my wife, but I'm not going to drink. Have instead diverted myself to other things. Went to a meeting today over the lunch hour, it was a pretty good one. Grapevine discussion group, which I hadn't experienced before. We read a selection about an alcoholic who was in Alaska and checked out of rehab against medical advice. He was at both a literal crossroads between two towns, and a figurative crossroads between drinking and not drinking, but felt his higher power intervene and stick his feet down on the right path. Very timely. Also have outpatient treatment tonight in about an hour. The lesson is dealing with negative emotions. Again very timely.

Have plans to make another meeting tomorrow night. It's a step discussion group, so it should be a good one. Thanks for listening and I'll check in tomorrow. In the meantime, much love and be well!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

WTH:

Since arguments with your wife are such a big trigger, have you ever tried to see a pattern in them to help you deal with them differently?

My ex was a problem drinker and yes, we did have arguments, which were brutal at first, until I started to see a pattern in both the way he started off and how I responded.

Typically, the way things would go was that he would be hypercritical of me, on a personal attack (going on like this for at least 30 minutes). I got to recognize that I'd heard all of these things before and they had no real foundation. He was trying to get me emotionally charged. I finally understood what was happening and no longer reacted emotionally. I'd tell him "Yes, you've told me that before. What is it that is really bothering you?" Or just wait things out without getting drawn into the old stuff being brought up again until he could get to what was bothering him.

It did help me and in the end, because I wasn't wound up emotionally, I was able to listen to him and the arguments became more productive for both of us.

Just a thought.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thanks for that Slim...we're trying to navigate our way through the pattern of arguments through marriage counseling, but I have to admit it's slow going. A lot of it, and I'll be honest here, is my rage coming out over past happenings. My wife is trying the techniques you describe, me, well, not so much. I'm just a big ball of anger some of the time, I don't express it very well, and I've left an awful lot of wreckage in my wake. The problem is me, and I don't say that to be flippant. It's the real, honest truth.

I appreciate you lending a sympathetic ear and offering your advice. It really means a great deal to me.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Good evening all!

Thank you for the sage advice re siblings. It put things in perspective for me.

Just a brief post for me tonight as I am in a fight to the death with my printer that has sudden decided that it has better things to do than printing and my daughter needs to finish her homework.

I hope all is well with everyone tonight. Nuway - I love your observation regarding the peacefulness of our minds....I had noticed the complete lack of overwhelming guilt (I like your phrasing better, however) - I also love how I am able to fully cognitively function all the time and (bonus) not worry or stress over what I might have said or done the previous night (remembered or not).

xoxo Pan
Old 10-09-2012, 11:01 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Day 53 just starting....DEE you are totally correct.I have been having thoughts that I could drink normally again...And I'm just gonna do what you suggested,I'm just gonna ignore them....Thanks....Steve....
Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Morning all

In work again today, running a bit late this morning due to heavy traffic. Didn't sleep too well last night, kept waking up with a headache, it seem to be fading now though!

WTH, hi. sorry to hear you've had another humdinger with your wife, but I'm pleased that you didn't allow yourself to cave, that's progress! The marriage councelling can be slow going, but these things do take time and the world can't be put to rights overnight. Things will work out slowly but surely. By not drinking you will also have surprised your wife, because you can guarantee that the first thing she expected was for you to hit the bottle! Progress again! Many people have problems in expressing their feelings, but that's not something that can't be overcome. My husband is passive agressive so life is not always a barrel of laughs with him!!
I'm happy to hear that you are sticking with your meetings and I hope your outpatient session last night was beneficial. Keep at it and stay strong WTH. Much love to you too! xx

Hi Slim, you gave some good advice there, I wish I could write as elequently as you!

Hi Pan, good to hear from you. Hope you get you're printer sorted! Have a good day.xx

Steve, good for you for ignoring that A.V, you did well. I think many of us are getting to that stage now where we start getting a bit complacent thinking we've got this far so obviously we don't have a problem and perhaps we could have a drink! WRONG! Been there, done that, it doesn't work. You did the best thing going to bed, todays a new day!

Dee, good advice from you there, as per usual.

If I've missed anyone this morning, hi and I'll catch up with you later.

Wishing you all a safe and sober day.

Big hugs

Gxx

JUST FOR TODAY, I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Sorry to hear some of us are having a bit of a hard time. It comes with the program of learning how to live, I suppose. The main thing is ..... don't drink....and we can learn and overcome it.....drink....and we get to start back over.
As WTH mentioned, there is a lot of wreckage in our wakes. It will, no doubt, take some time and effort to get past that stuff but we can do it. I truly believe there is a happy existance awaiting.

Have a great sober day ya'll.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Thanks, Pan, Stevie, Grace, and Bruce! In addition to the advice Slim had for me, I really needed to read your posts this morning! Beginning of Day 7 for me here.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hey guys. My computer charger bit the dust the other day and I finally was able to get one yesterday. I was a bit annoyed about it. I pay a ton of money for a MacBook and then the charger craps out?? Oh well, it's not a big deal but I was still annoyed.

I met with my sponsor on Monday but had to cut it short to take Cole to the ER. He was having a major asthma attack and could not breath. That wasn't the best night but he is doing well now.

The weather here stinks. It's rainy and cold. I am not a fan. I wanted to go for a hike today but it isn't looking like that will happen, at least not this morning. Maybe the sun will come out this afternoon.

Have a great day guys.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Day 45 here woop woop keep it going!

Thanks for feedbacks. Regardless of what I do my son and "being self-supporting through my own contributions" need to remain at the top of the list. So, I won't be sacrificing moving out

I have a singing lesson today. I'm going to check out a local beauty college and apply for an affordable apartment I saw if it's still available. Then off to an AA meeting, ooooh its wednesday there's a great women's mtg at 6pm!

I found a book entitled "Renaissance Soul" about having multiple interests lol def going to read that!

Have a blessed day everyone!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi Bruce, good to hear from you and you're so right. We can do it! We will do it!

WTH, Hi, things always have a way of working out, as my Grannie would say!!

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Gxx
Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hey, Everyone. I thought I'd start posting here. I post elsewhere on the forums and read this thread religiously, but I don't think I've ever posted. I enjoy reading all your stories and the support you give eachother, so I thought I'd jump in. I am on day 51 !!! Yesterday I was feeling a bit down in the dumps, but didn't want to drink so that's good. I had a short snooze on the couch later in the evening and felt better once I woke up. I think part of it is that my husband and I are FINALLY putting our old house on the market today after buying another house and remodelling it last April. We lived there for 12 years and it was the first house we bought. I really love our new house and the area of town it's located in (7 minute drive for me to work!). That being said, I think I'm a little sad to see the old house go. This is probably why I was in a crummy mood yesterday.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Day 47, took a days leave today to cram for my exam but nothing's sticking. By this time tomorrow I'll be leaving the exam room (unless I've run out earlier). Will then be cramming at home to prep for my Friday morning interview. A bit stressed by it all, but the worst that can happen - I don't get a promotion I was convinced I'd messed up anyway and have to resit my exam - not the end of the world!

Erica, sorry to hear Cole has had another asthma attack, you take care, x

Hi Pipporossi, good luck with the sale,

LLG - still all systems go, good luck with everything,

x
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi again

Erica, I can imagine your frustration re you computer charger. Grrr. Hope cole is much better. Look after yourself.

LLG, big congrats on day 45. Fingers and everything crossed for that apartment. Enjoy your singing lesson, that sounds exciting!

Pippo, Very big welcome to our family, I'm sure you've posted once or twice here before, but maybe not, doesn't matter anyway. Well done on day 51. Good new that you've got your old house on the market now, though I understand your sadness. Bet it makes life a lot easier only taking 7 minutes to drive to work though.XXX How are those chickens?

Jo, no wonder you're feeling stressed, make sure you give yourself a break too! Just keep reminding yourself where you'll be this time next week!

See you all later

Gxxx
Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Three quarters through Day 53 and instead of me winding down and thinking about my bed I'm getting ready to go to the gym...Didn't have enough time today so I'm off to smash my back and biceps now...My AV seems to have gone away for the time being and I really hope it doesn't return for a while...Hope everyone is doing well and I may check back in a couple of hours time when I get back from the gym...Take care....Steve.....
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Oh, foooo! I just lost a long post when I was attempting to open a new tab. Instead, I closed the window I had typed it in... Rats.

I'll try and recreate it later, but gotta run for now. Stay strong, everybody.