Notices

Class of August 2012 Part 5

Old 10-23-2012, 01:54 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

09.20 Tue

Morning all

Hope you're all well and happy! I've still got a sore throat but I'll survive. The auditors are in work today so everyone is running round like headless chickens.

Hi Slim, having a 5 yr old g.son with Asbergers, I can appreciate everything you said in your post and I will p.m you from home for the link. My g.son is a very clever little boy particularly with his numeracy, he is years ahead for his age, but has lots of strange obsessions, his current obsession is skeletons so now with Halloween approaching he is in his element. He is very awkward where food is concerned too, his food can't touch other food on his plate and he will only eat certain things and no way on earth can you pursuade him to try anything else. he lives on yellow rice, fish fingers, sweetcorn, grated cheese ( has to be grated and out of a green wrapper!) and pasta bake. He has a lot of problems with his social skills and we are lucky really that his Asbergers was picked up upon at such an early age. Very luckily he loves school. He is just gorgeous, so lovely I could eat him. I wouldn't swap him for all the money in China. We are blessed!
Sorry for going on and on, I could talk about him forever!

Hi Jodie, it sounds like you had a brilliant weekend and it says it all about how good your training was if the children want to start now for next year!
I always say going out in the car with my husband driving is like going on a white knuckle ride as he has no patience, drives up the backside of the car in front and drives too fast!! He says it's me! Huh! Dont think so!
Don't stress too much about Friday, just tell them you don't drink or you've given it up for health reasons or your allergic to alcohol!! (thats my line now!)

Hi Stairs, the smiley is ace, I love it. I agree that some things are 'man jobs' particularly anything to do with car maintainance, including filling it up with fuel! Lol! Oh and cutting down tree limbs! Hope you get your auto jack problems sorted.

HFA, a classic car, very nice, I think WTH is into Fords if I remember rightly!

Have a safe journey Steve, drive carefully, I don't envy you having to drive that distance with three little ones! Have a great week end and I hope to see you still on the same sober date as me on your return!!

Must go, work is beckoning. See you again later.

Stay safe and sober

Big hugs

Gxx
Old 10-23-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

JUST FOR TODAY, I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions

Gx
Old 10-23-2012, 03:01 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Hi all! Beginning of Day 20 here! Grace, you are right, I am a Ford guy...and HFA, that Maverick is BEAUTIFUL!

Hitting an early morning meeting here. This will be my 15th in 20 days, so I'm just a wee bit behind on my 90 in 90. Hope to catch up a little by week's end. I'll probably hit two meetings tomorrow, two Friday, and two Saturday.

Tonight is my 15th outpatient session, so I'll be halfway done!

Much love and be well, everybody!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:02 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Morning all! I got a lot accomplished yesterday. While it may not seem like much, I finally ordered 3 cords of wood. I have been meaning to do it for months but just got around to it yesterday. We will now be warm this winter. I also went for a little run yesterday. I really didn't want to but I forced myself to go and I am glad I did. I got to the pharmacy to pick up two prescriptions. I cleaned up a bit outside as well.

Today I plan to go to the driving range and hit a bucket of balls. I also need to go shopping for some clothes. And to the grocery store. We are almost out of food.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hi again

WTH, I got it right then, you are a Ford guy!! Good to see your still attending the meetings. It's hard going trying to fit 90 meetings in 90 days, especially when you're working too and have a house to run, I couldn't manage that! Three weeks tomorrow, wow that's really good, I can't believe how fast those weeks have flown! I hope your outpatient session goes well tonight. I have to say you do seem much more focused now you're going to A.A etc! Keep working at it, I know you'll make it!

Hi Erica, you sound so much brighter and positive today. I'm glad you enjoyed your little run, it's surprising how much better you feel just for a spot of exercise, I don't know if it's because you are focusing on something other than drinking or what but it does seem to work!
Enjoy your afternoon, sounds like you have a busy one.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Good morning Augustinians!!

HFA, lol a Ford Maverick! My best friend in high school used to have one of those, it belonged to her Mom actually, but boy did we go places in that Maverick! Mostly drinking in Jersey....back when the drinking age was 18 there.

Erica, this made me sort of chuckle;
While it may not seem like much,
because that's how I am too. Like baking cookies or making pasta sauce, may not seem like much, but to me it is definitely much. Compared to my drinking behavior, "let's get subs and oreos". lol. I think we are our own worse critics.

Grace, I feel the same way about cars. I asked M to accompany me to the mechanic last time just to have a man to speak with him because I have no clue what the guy is talking about. He could tell me that the epiglottus and the spungiewungie need replaced and I would just nod and ask how much? lol. I do have a female cousin who learned how to work on her own car. I can do gas and oil checks....and take the interior apart for new speakers, but men seem to have an affinity for the mysteries of the combustion engine. Also it's just so dirty and greasy in there, eww.
I used a hand held clipper to cut off the small branches yesterday, up there on a ladder...now I found a manual hand saw and will get up on the ladder and give it a go cutting down some larger ones about 3"- 4" in diameter...we'll see how that goes! I learned one thing about doing yardwork. Wear work gloves!!
We have a squirrel commune in our inaccessible space which used to be part of the attic but is walled off. They come in through the defunct chimney and I hear them above my bedroom. There is no wiring of any kind in or near their apartment but I am on a mission to make their life more difficult hence clearing a lot of yard growth where they can climb from tree to tree.....I have studied their entry route and it's roundabout , they even do a minute of highwire on the cable wire to get to the neighboring 2nd floor porch....anyway that's why I am suddenly taking an interest in tree branch removal.
It's war on the squirrels. I will force the enemy out into the open.
They've only been doing this every winter since we moved in 4 years ago. This is the 4th winter. Before I just cranked up the music.

WTH, that's great that you are really getting into the meetings.

Steve, best of luck on your trip! Sounds stressful but it could be lots of fun. I hope you stay strong and sober.

Jodie, same goes to you, have a na drink in your hand at all times and SMILE.

Slim, lol Chevy Vega....my first car was a Ford Pinto.

Dee, you are a rock as usual, thank you.

Everyone, have a great day. I am going to hustle to get to a 9 am meeting.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grace2 View Post
It's hard going trying to fit 90 meetings in 90 days, especially when you're working too and have a house to run
Hear, hear! Between work, domestic duties, the 90 in 90, outpatient, marriage counseling, and individual therapy...well, the schedule can be a real bear. But they say spend as much time on your recovery as you did drinking. And when you put it that way, it doesn't seem so bad. Believe it or not, I'm actually getting off easy!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hi Stairs

Yes, it's the little things that we neglected that mean a lot now, just like me planting my spring bulbs in the garden!! At one time I would have been digging holes and throwing them in, then wondering what the hell they were when they sprouted!! Now I've planted them all carefully and in a colour co-ordinated order! Woo hoo!
As for cars, I'm just not going there!!
We have squirrells visiting our garden ane I think they're cute, I could watch them for hours, but there again I'm sure I'd feel differently if we had them in the attic! Lol.

WTH, Looking at it that way you're probably right. Where on earth did we find the time to do all that drinking?? What a waste!!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Grace, your orderly bulbs sound wonderful!

WTH, kudos for making your 90 in 90.

It's rainy here so no sawing of tree limbs today.

I went to a morning meeting and then remembered I had meant to check out volunteering at the food bank. I sent an email months ago and they left a voicemail saying to just show up during their business hours. So I showed up this morning.

I opened shrink wrapped graham cracker packs and lined them up in boxes. That wasn't bad. But then they wanted me to work in a walk in refrigerator sorting giant lettuce leaves that were in little white grocery bags all stacked up in a big pile. The lady goes, "we have coats and gloves if you need them". LOLOL!!! I said, "Um I don't think I can do this, I'm gonna get going now". .

Thursday is office volunteer day so I told them I'll be back Thursday. That is what I had specified but a little hands on warehouse work never hurt anybody...a little.

Then the Literacy Council lady called and asked can I come in to help with pre-GED math class on Friday. Yay!

Ok hope everyone is doing well!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I know they saw don't sweat the small stuff, but now my email is getting kicked back to me as undeliverable!!! Now I have to spend time troubleshooting the issue.

Still have no assurance that my computer is clean.

Phone works, only to ring with mostly robo calls. Why did I bother to get it fixed???

Stairs, watch out for those nasty little squirrels. They can do serious damage, and it only takes a little space for them to be able to get inside. Like all rodents, they love chewing electrical wires. One of my mother's neighbor's Florida snow bird friend had squirrels decide to house sit while she was up north and they destroyed her condo. Chewed holes in walls and used the furniture and mattresses as nesting materials. Not to mention using the carpet as their master bath.

I worked in a office that was housed in an building that was 100 years old and we could hear the squirrels racing back and forth across the attic. We set Have-a-Heart traps and one day the boss went up to check on the situation. Heard him yelp like you wouldn't believe...one squirrel found him mighty attractive and was hugging his pant leg in a passionate embrace!

Just want to go back to my DS and a funny story (long) about him acting impulsively. His junior and senior year of high school got all fouled up with a persistent case of Lyme disease that took more than 10 months to treat, with him ending up in the hospital. Of course this affected his academics and it seemed like a never ending battle with the school(s) to get his course work, tutors and the like sorted out so that he could graduate.

Finally June rolls around with graduation just around the corner. He was hanging by a thread in terms of whether or not he would have enough credits to graduate. The day before graduation, he got his exam grades and yes, he had done it!!! Yea, or so I thought. At graduation practice that day, he felt that a teacher was glaring at him, so what does charming DS do? He sticks his tongue out at her. And what does she do? Throws a hissy fit and reports him to the principal.

So less than a few hours after getting the great news that he would graduate, I get another call from school about the situation and the possibility that he can't walk for the ceremony. Meeting next day first thing in the morning with the principal. We go into the meeting and the principal does his best to back up the teacher, yet give DS the opportunity to redeem himself. Explains the situation and outlines 3 major points for my son, with a deadline of 11 to make a decision and take action.

DS and I talk in the parking lot. Ask him to repeat the 3 points. He can only recall 2. I list the 3 points for him and tell him it is up to him to decide. He's struggling, because he feels it is unfair and thinks the whole thing is blown out of proportion. True, but these are some of life's lessons. I go home and call my dad to let him know DS may or may not walk. Finally find out at 1 that he will walk, with ceremonies only 4 hours away.

That 24 hour period epitomized in a very short time the ups and downs of what it was like getting my son through the educational system. I saw the vice principal at the ceremony and we talked and laughed about things; she understood how hard it was and how ridiculous the whole situation was with a teacher flipping out because DS stuck his tongue out. Just one of many "fond" memories.

Not sure how it ties in, but it wasn't until my son hit his teen years that my drinking became problematic. It was the same way with my mother. Was it our age, the stresses we were dealing with or a combination of the two?

Grace...I'll send you the link in a PM. With bulb plantings...wish I could...the moles have eaten up so many of my bulbs and I adore spring flowers.

Erica...you had a lot planned today...were you looking forward to it or was it like going through the motions?

WTH...go for those meetings! You seem to get a lot out of them.

Life is never dull...no need to drink to dull our abilities to deal with it. The outcome will be ever so much better, plus we can remember it!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Today was an exhausting day. Long day at rehab then I whacked some golf balls for awhile. That was fun. My irons are pretty okay but my driver/woods suck. Oh well. I got to the grocery store and it wasn't horrible. I put on my headphones and got it done. It was close to 4:00 by the time I got home.

Now I am hanging out with Alex and watching rubbish tv. I'm ready for bed.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hey, everybody

Just a fly-by to let you know I'm reading everything, but don't have a lot to say. I just don't want you all to forget me.

I hope we hear from Steve sometime--and that his car made the journey all right. I know he'll be able to withstand any temptation to drink. Steve, ya hear me? Don't let yourself (or us) down.

Same for you, Jodie. We know you can do it!

I hope everyone is feeling all right. Take care, and carry on.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

08.45 Wed

Good morning my Augustian family

I hope you've all had a good night/day! It's bottom of the hill day for me in work, yay. I've now developed a streaming cold so I'm sat here sharing the germs with my colleagues. The company I work for doesn't take kindly to anyone taking time off sick so I will battle through, dosed up to the eyeballs with parecetamol and reeking of albas oil and pass the germs around. Sharing the love!!

Hi Stairs, going back again to cars, my first car was a gold Vauxhall Viva and I used to flood the engine on a regular basis giving it too much choke!! Those were the days. I thinkd I may start a new link about first cars!
Can I please ask what exactly is a food bank? Is it like what we call soup kitchens here, where volunteers go and help feed the homeless which is something I'm hoping to do on New Years day! No way on earth though could I work in a giant refridgerator, I'd be in hospital with hypothermia all wrapped in foil! Yes your right, hands on warehouse work doesn't never hurt anyone but the cold would see me off!! Lol.
the literacy class sounds like a good opportunity though, that's something for you to look forward to.

Hi Slim, firstly how is your back today? i hope it's not too painful for you.
I did say yesterday that I think squirrells are cute, but after reading your post I'm beginning to think otherwise. I'll be putting no more nuts out for them! I laughed my head off though about your formet boss and his romantic clinch with a squirrell. Ha ha ha, that is so funny, I bet he had a major panic!
I'll p.m you my home email address Slim, it is probably better to send the link their. I know you've got problems with your p.c, which I hope you get sorted very soon ( such a nuisance) so don't worry if you can't do it straight away.
I enjoyed reading your story about your son, made me smile, I can picture that and worse in years to come with our boy! I remember my son ( he was just plain naughty) going on a school skiing trip to Austria, I had to take him to the school and wave him off on his way. He was about 14 at the time and all the children were in the coach, mums crying and children waving and blowing kisses, well all apart from my son who as the coach was leaving pulled his tongue out at me!!!! Fond memories indeed!
I didn't start drinking till late in life either funnily enough, when I was young I didn't really drink at all, like you I'm not sure why, if it was trigged by going through a divorce or stresses of life or whatever!!!

Hi Erica, sounds like you didn't have too bad of a day yesterday, it's lovely to see you sounding a bit more positive. Keep it up. xx

Hi Nuway, good to hear from you? Are you okay? How could we possibly forget you, you're part of this family!!! Doesn't matter how little you say, just hello will suffice! You take care. xxx

Going now to get some more work done ( atchoo! oh excuse me!) Catch up in a while. I don't half rabbit on in my posts, the funny thing is though, I'm really very quiet and a much better listener than talker!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 01:33 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Just for today I will open my eyes and thank the Universe for one more day
Old 10-24-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Is there anyone out there?????
Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

It is mighty quiet today.

Hope I didn't scare everybody off yesterday with all my gabbing.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

I doubt it Slim!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Hi everyone,

Grace, I was wondering the same thing! It's quiet today. A food bank is a place where corporate or individual food donations are accepted then redistributed to the needy. Frozen, canned and boxed stuff, juice, condiments, all kinds of food. Like a free grocery store but people have to have a voucher from certain social service agencies to participate.

Today I went and poked around an antique shop in a quaint little town about 20 miles south of me. The plan was to go to the noon meeting there. Then I suddenly remembered when I got to the church, that Sweetie gets off early from school. Argh. Did the bus driver look right at me not 4.5 hours ago and say, "they get out early today"?! I swear I live on another planet some days.

It was a beautiful drive though with the trees all in colors for fall and it's warm and sunny.

This sinus thing still bugging me, I'm taking antibiotics and slowly getting better. I am going to read my Dean Koontz book.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hey class I'm still here and still sober and I'm posting from my phone...As I said I'm still sober and good even though temptation is strong, it's only strong because there are so many damn pubs here...The car made it up here ok and I've also picked up my new car...it's just a case of scrapping my old car and taxing and mot'ing the new car and I'm all good to drive it back on Sunday...I'm still eating like a beast and the best thing is I ain't cooking it for a change...I am missing the gym though and I'm looking forward to hitting some heavyweights on Monday....Anyways I hope everyone is good and I'll try and check back in tomorrow....Take care...Steve.....
Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

I'm here! Middle/end of Day 21 here! Have 2 back-to-back meetings tonight, 6:30pm and 8pm...and then out for dinner with my wife. The World Series starts tonight here in the States, maybe my favorite sporting event of the year. Yay!

Hope all of you are doing GREAT...much love and be well!