SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class Of October 2012 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/269640-class-october-2012-a.html)

hope22 10-03-2012 01:32 PM

just checking in - day 10. Sorry for the people that are struggling, I am too. I guess we are all in the same boat. But it does getting easier. Please stay strong. Gottawonder good call on dumping the bottles, I got rid of mine too. It was way to tempting for me. Thinking of you all. Have a great day.

jaz06 10-03-2012 01:35 PM

And Dee...could NEVER forget you! You are definitely our backbone...so much strength. I finally found your story, read it...than read it again.

Thank you, my friend, for being there for all of us! Words cannot express the gratitude.

JimJim 10-03-2012 01:36 PM

~Hey Wifi, welcome to the group.

:grouphug:

phew, I drank my way through a couple of jobs it was living hell. Yes, it seems to me that first day is the hardest to get through. It so much easier on day two I find.

Neverthought 10-03-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by GottaWonder (Post 3606938)
I can't help thinking about my recycling bin this morning thanks to SoulonFire's comment. I was amazed at how much quieter it is to dump a box of recyclables into the bin when you don't have cases of beer and fifths of liquor in it. This is the first time I took out the recycling after I got rid of all of my bottles a week ago. The garbage men are going to think that 3 college kids moved out.

I hear you both "Gotta" and "Soul".

SoulonFire, I would really consider getting rid of it! Get it out of the house!

I would buy a "pint" of Vodka everyday, but not have any other alcohol in the house. Otherwise, I would end up drinking 3/4 to a 5th or whatever else was available. I have no idea how I could consumed 3/4 of a bottle in an evening and go to work the next day, but I've done it.

I wish everyone the best!

Dee74 10-03-2012 01:48 PM

Welcome to all the newcomers and those coming back to try again :)
It's tough bu you're not alone here :)

Someone mentioned Thanksgiving...I don't celebrate it myself but I found this link helpful for all kinds of social occasions...

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

D

Uninvited 10-03-2012 03:44 PM

Checking in on day 5. It's going pretty well. Only a few urges to drink today. Hope you are all hanging in there.

Oh and I completely agree about the booze in the house. Pour it out if you can. It's way too easy to slip with it staring you in the face. This is not a test you are trying to pass by proving you can look at it and not drink it.

Dee74 10-03-2012 03:51 PM

I'm not a big one for those kinds of tests - I already know the results.
I failed those tests too many times over too many years.

All it took was a split second decision to undo me.

Every time I kept booze in the house - no matter what I told myself, it was because I was terrified - I was too scared not to have it there.

I think a real test of strength lies in pouring down the sink...now, *thats* a real challenge :)

Banshee 10-03-2012 04:55 PM

Day 6 - found a few prayers that helped me through the day. Also found song whose lyrics resonated with me -shake it out by florence and the machine - i keep listening to the lyrics and i feel better about myself. I like this track I am heading on and can visualize how it will help me long term. Can't help but to think of failing Though and how easy that next drink could end up in my hand. I continue to stay focused and try to visualize how I will handle all situations so I don't end up with a drink in my hand.

JimJim 10-03-2012 05:47 PM

I'm just sat in bed catching up on all of you posts. It's gone midnight here in the UK so it looks like I have survived another day. I had some pretty raging cravings to enter oblivion via vodka/whiskey again earlier, I posted this time rather than engaging wioth my thoughts (Thanks for the ticking off MTN! ;) ). I'm pretty relaxed now so I'll be more prepared if it happens again as it clearly passes.

Cheesy - I hope your headaches clear and you are not so tired at work tomorrow

uninvited. Well done day five,

Styxfan - I'm spending hours of an evening this week listening to all the Pink Floyd albums on You Tube. I havent heard all their stuff. (I'm 28) I'm finding it a great method of escapism. I',m listening to the album 'a Momentary lapse of Reason' right now, only just looked up the title realised the irony as I post on a sober recovery website ! It's great stuff I find their instrumental stuff quite hypnotic to send me off to sleep, a great way to relax. BEatles are great too ;) Seargent Peppers lonely Hearts is my favourite.

SOF, Yeh, Bottles in the house, What else can you do with them other than drink them?

MAple - hey Maple , I spoke to you in chat earlier I believe! Good luck with the work, I hope things improve working with others ;)

Got - I know what you mean about the bottles, Such a chore to get rid of. I remeber I lived with flatmates and I was trying to hide the amount I drank. I would put one bottle in the bin, carry the rest in a bin bag and ditch them in variouss wheely bin.s

Jaz.- Good to have you around again! I I've screwed up a couple of times too now. The last ten years I was drinking daily ,it didn't seem to have any major consequences on my lifestyle (so I thought at the time) and i didnt really want to cut out my drinking. I had half arsed attempts now and then because I knew I had a problem but just told myslef I would have to give up one day. Well now is my 'one day'. I'n these couple of attemps I have also had the longest periods off of drink in those last 10 years. so, perahps the point is I feel like this is prgroess and I'm confronting my problem at last. So I;m not going to be to hard on myself. I'm learning to live without drink, so I guess I screw up because I'm on the rollercoaster as you put it.

Getting pretty sleepy now it's almost 2am and I'm nodding off in my sack. Pleae excuse my appaling typing skills and spelling.

Iamready 10-03-2012 05:48 PM

Tonight I made cup cakes at 815 pm with my kids....I'm usually passed out by then or close it! Made me very motivated for day 6 tomorrow.

canguy 10-03-2012 06:06 PM

...sh*t, I crashed.
I put all the wedding pix in the bin last night, but just couldn't bring myself to chuck out the baby clothes in the bottom drawer.

God, I feel awful today......

Iamready 10-03-2012 06:16 PM

I'm sorry canguy. Hang in there. We are all here for you if you need some extra support. This is not an easy thing we are all trying to do especially with everything going on in our lives and all the triggers they bring. Just keep coming on and reading other posts and post yourself when you need too. I found my new addiction is this site! Thank god I can get it on my phone otherwise iv wouldn't leave my computer. When I have a tough moment I just read some posts and feel like I can do it

Gigabit 10-03-2012 07:15 PM

Hi all, welcome to everyone new!
Quite a bunch of Oct-soberites now!

I'm on Day 6, and coping ok except for a bloody nasty cold that has attacked me over the last day. :(

Dee74 10-03-2012 07:25 PM

Pick yourself up and dust yourself off canguy...this changing our life stuff is hard.
Are you using any support or help beyond SR?

D

johnthediver 10-03-2012 07:39 PM

Hey everyone,

just checking in for day 6, still not had a drink.

Its upsetting to see everyone struggling, i am too- we've all just got to get through this.its going to get easier (hopefully!)

Woke up this morning with what felt like the beginning of a hang over, even though i haven't touched anything, had a rotten nights sleep. But 10 minutes after waking, i feel so fresh, i walked to work and actually could appreciate the things around me, the sun, the flowers, normally i get to work in a half drunk state, but without beer i'm actually being able to see things i never did while i was drinking.

things are still hard and i have terrible cravings (that i'm starting to surf! ) today is better than yesterday so far, and if i can stay off the beer tomorrow should be even easier x

keep it up everyone and lets try to have a sober october, i know its not easy

:grouphug:

Dee74 10-03-2012 08:11 PM

the first week is tough...but it will get easier...stick with it guys :)

D

canguy 10-03-2012 08:11 PM

Dee,

No, nothing beyond a script for some sleepers and S.R.
And I'm not doing too well......

Dee74 10-03-2012 08:14 PM

I just wondered - a lot of people find support in something like AA or a non 12 step programme like SMART...

I just used SR tho :)

It's hard work, but it gets easier - and you're not alone here canguy :)

D

justhadenough 10-03-2012 11:50 PM

Congrts on day6 Banshee,johnthediver & gigabit.Day 6 for me too-who'd have thought it!

Congrats on day 10 hope and MTN

are you feeling any better MTN?

sorry to hear that canguy.good to see you back here though.

Jimjim-howare you today? didn't realize you were in UK too.There's a few of us around!!

Cheese-hope your headache has gone

Iamready-mynew addiction is this site too!At least it's good for us

I feel worse today though than days 2/3.full of a cold and headache.feel very foggy,just like the weather here!Iprob have a tendency totake too many otc medicines at the slightest pain which I needtostop-don't get me wrong not constantly,just every morning forhangovers but they aren't designed for LT use so stopping those too which may be giving me the headache.

HOw are you feeling styxfan? Its amazing how little pills can make us feel so ill when we stop them even when prescribed or taken in small quantites.congrats on day 5

Welcome to all newcomers-this is a great site. sorry if I've forgotten anyone.

have a great day.x

MyTimeNow 10-04-2012 12:18 AM

Morning :) again... I was originally up with a poorly DD at 4.30, thankfully we all managed to get back to sleep until 8.

Ticking off JimJim?! That wasn't a ticking off... that was an erm order LOL Haha no, I would never do either to anybody. Maybe ;)

Hugs JHE and Gigabit and anybody else who is under the weather. I still feel rubbish and am feeling very sorry for myself now. I want to be up out and enjoying things feeling good. Fed up :( I'd go to the doctor but they have a rule of antibiotics only for bacterial not viral infections, so I'd get sent home and told to pull my socks up and stop being a wimp... (moan moan moan!)

How are you feeling now canguy? Bit better I hope. Get straight back on it and early night tonight :)

Defo get rid of the bottles SOF.

Hello and welcome to our newcomers and well done everybody who has reached a new day sober :)